The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[TWS] Balancing in AvA – „Changes with large effect“

• Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the discussion in this thread - I read almost everything, but I still don't really know why you want to remove Battle Spirit. Is it to remove some of the lag? Are you thinking it causes too many calculations in the back ground?

From the removing of Battle Spirit i does not expect some reducing of lag. Only in a passive way through adjusting the TTK. If the player is dead, he cannot do actions to stressing the server. More about TTK you can see here -> Myth AoE Cap
    I really like the idea of a rez debuff, but I am not 100% sure how you want it to work. Let's say player A dies, does it mean he gets this "Rezz-Sickness" after he got resurrected? Or does player B (who was resurrecting player A) get the debuff? I'm confused because of this:

"Rezzing of this player is not possible, till the Rezz-Sickness is gone (like cooldown of Camps)"

Does it mean player A can be resurrected once and after that he gets the sickness and will not be able to be resurrected for 2 mins?

The rezz sickness affects only the rezzed player. In your example the player A. So if player A is rezzed from player B he get the debuff, which not disappears from a second death. The debuff only idsappears if player A wait, so he can be rezzed again (after cooldown ends) or he stand up in a camp or keep or gate.
    Edited by Taonnor on October 15, 2018 5:10PM
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the discussion in this thread - I read almost everything, but I still don't really know why you want to remove Battle Spirit. Is it to remove some of the lag? Are you thinking it causes too many calculations in the back ground?

Checkmath and STALKER gave good examples on why it is not that easy to remove BS. Cloak, stealth (overload sorcs, sniper builds - any class, etc.), one-click heals like breath of life and a lot more skills will become a problem. There would be too much to change, hence I think ZOS will not ever remove Battle Spirit.

Also I do not believe that removing BS will contribute towards build diversity - just take a look at the no cp campaign - people are already forced to play with sustain sets. Without BS they will have to play plague doctor + 1 sustain set so that they stay alive long enough to react to the high damage. At least that's how I imagine things would change.

I really like the idea of a rez debuff, but I am not 100% sure how you want it to work. Let's say player A dies, does it mean he gets this "Rezz-Sickness" after he got resurrected? Or does player B (who was resurrecting player A) get the debuff? I'm confused because of this:

"Rezzing of this player is not possible, till the Rezz-Sickness is gone (like cooldown of Camps)"

Does it mean player A can be resurrected once and after that he gets the sickness and will not be able to be resurrected for 2 mins?
    Anyway, I like this idea. If I had a free wish I would like this change to the rezzing system to become true.

Lastly, I do see why you want heals to only affect group members, but that would probably make too many of them zerg surfers leave cyrodiil - that would be bad for the population count.

I haven't read this thread Imperial City into Base Game – „Liberation of IC“ yet, so I cannot judge about the part with the Emperor changes, but I do agree that the EMP system needs changes.

No idea if anyone at ZOS is reading your threads, but maybe you @Checkmath and @Tasear (I've seen you active in other threads related to PvP) could bring some of Taonnors ideas closer to the Devs. So they get some new ideas they can think about :-)

Hmm interesting conversation. I will share the threads with others.
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DivineFirstYOLO Additionally i excpect a massive performance boost by changing the AoE Heals to "Group Only".You can simulate that case through the Lag Simulator with playing around the "Zone Splitting" flag. -> Myth AoE Cap
    Guild

Addons & Guides

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a pretty simple concept. If you remove battlespirit, you will have to put more points into health, which means less damage output and a higher time to kill. I like it.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    It's a pretty simple concept. If you remove battlespirit, you will have to put more points into health, which means less damage output and a higher time to kill. I like it.

That's not what the OP is arguing. He is advocating a lower TTK. It changes the ratios to allow for higher damage glass cannons that can exist today when you break it down to a health:power ratio. Raising the Battle Spirit health bonus, as Stalker has advocated, would do the opposite.

I think the TTK is too high in general because of strong defensive sets, but there are OP specs with high damage that necessitate them -- like Master DW bleed builds. There needs to be adjustments, no the elimination of Battle Spirit.

We already build to survive the OP specs which results in too many long open world fights both in terms of tanky small group encounters and 1v1s.
    Edited by zyk on October 15, 2018 6:18PM
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rez sickness is absolutely crippling, 20% snare and 20% damage reduction and 20% heal reduction. This just makes accepting rez into a horrible trap that incapacitates you for 2 full minutes.

If you hate battle rezzing that much then just recommend that combat Rez be removed while in cyrodiil. The system you suggested just makes you easy pickings unless you can hide in a big Zerg until your debuff wears off, it's a change that further encourages running around in a massive zergball.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on October 15, 2018 6:43PM
  • DivineFirstYOLO
    DivineFirstYOLO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Taonnor wrote: »

From the removing of Battle Spirit i does not expect some reducing of lag. Only in a passive way through adjusting the TTK. If the player is dead, he cannot do actions to stressing the server. More about TTK you can see here -> Myth AoE Cap

Alright, then what if we just remove or reduce the health bonus from Battle Spirit? Completely removing BS would be a too drastic change I think.

@DivineFirstYOLO Additionally i excpect a massive performance boost by changing the AoE Heals to "Group Only".You can simulate that case through the Lag Simulator with playing around the "Zone Splitting" flag. -> Myth AoE Cap

Ok makes sense, not sure if many people would like this tho.
    Zerg Squad

Godslayer x 4

Pro questing fees for RPers in Cyrodiil, pay your taxes!
    PC - EU

• Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

That's not what the OP is arguing. He is advocating a lower TTK. It changes the ratios to allow for higher damage glass cannons that can exist today when you break it down to a health:power ratio. Raising the Battle Spirit health bonus, as Stalker has advocated, would do the opposite.

I think the TTK is too high in general because of strong defensive sets, but there are OP specs with high damage that necessitate them -- like Master DW bleed builds. There needs to be adjustments, no the elimination of Battle Spirit.

We already build to survive the OP specs which results in too many long open world fights both in terms of tanky small group encounters and 1v1s.

Taking away the 5k hp buff will see people die very quickly in the short term until the learn that health is now a vital stat. Pouring more points into surviving reduces the amount of output damage (generally speaking). Players who build tanky are already in the right direction as would find it easier to survive.
    Pointless all the same cos ZOS won't change it.
    Edited by Elong on October 16, 2018 12:38AM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's far too simple for you to underst

Taking away the 5k hp buff will see people die very quickly in the short term until the learn that health is now a vital stat. Pouring more points into surviving reduces the amount of output damage (generally speaking). Players who build tanky are already in the right direction as would find it easier to survive.
    No, it's you who doesn't get it. From the OP himself:
    It's obvious the eventual outcome would be experienced players running more HP as they do today. However, pure glass cannon builds would have a higher potential power:hp ratio than they do today, making them more disruptive. Increasing Battle Spirit HP as Stalker suggested would force glass cannons to run more HP, therefore lowering their potential power:hp ratio.

To be clear, I am not in favor of either suggestion. I think a more nuanced solution is required to both limit the top end of burst damage and healing while decreasing the TTK of more evenly matched combatants.
    Edited by zyk on October 15, 2018 11:57PM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's far too simple for you to underst

No, it's you who doesn't get it. From the OP himself:
    It's obvious the eventual outcome would be experienced players running more HP as they do today. However, pure glass cannon builds would have a higher potential power:hp ratio than they do today, making them more disruptive. Increasing Battle Spirit HP as Stalker suggested would force glass cannons to run more HP, therefore lowering their potential power:hp ratio.

To be clear, I am not in favor of either suggestion. I think a more nuanced solution is required to both limit the top end of burst damage and healing while decreasing the TTK of more evenly matched combatants.

It would also make pure burst glass cannons squishier. At the moment they can survive and burst. I don't think glass cannons builds would stack more hp as you suggest. I do think clever theorycrafters will find an OP build whatever the scenario though, the game is so open with the "play as you want" motto that this eventuateson in a "kid in a candy store" situation.

My opinion is different from the OP, I disagree with him, a faster TTK would be miserable for me. If taking the free 5k health away isn't your solution, then perhaps nerf damage and heals by 65% instead of 50%.

• Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is different from the OP, I disagree with him, a faster TTK would be miserable for me. If taking the free 5k health away isn't your solution, then perhaps nerf damage and heals by 65% instead of 50%.

Ok, looking inside. Which scenario we will have then? With a 65% reduction the full glass cannon builds will be much more viable as currently. This will lead in an evenly play style after all for all builds. In the end i think only the glass cannon builds with moderate/high reg will viable, because all defensive stats you will get from Battle Spirit.

My idea is to allow both extreme edges in the first step, so the players must decide what they want. Do they want high damage? Then they die fast, but kill fast. Do they want high defense? Then they does not die fast and not kill fast. If you have these extreme edges you can further adjust. For example to allowing the tank side mitigate more damage. For a strong tank side you can adjust a third edge the extreme penetration builds, which have no damage but medium life and high penetration. The tank killers and so you have in the end 3 extreme edges and at least a Rock, Paper, Scissors situation. The players itself can decide which playstyle they want. One of the extreme edges or a balanced build.

The current way of balance is more and more to equally the extreme edges so you have only a small path for damage/tank/penetration builds. Sooner or later you will only have one viable play style with this. This is boring in my eyes.
    Edited by Taonnor on October 16, 2018 6:23AM
    Guild

Addons & Guides

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, looking inside. Which scenario we will have then? With a 65% reduction the full glass cannon builds will be much more viable as currently. This will lead in an evenly play style after all for all builds. In the end i think only the glass cannon builds with moderate/high reg will viable, because all defensive stats you will get from Battle Spirit.

My idea is to allow both extreme edges in the first step, so the players must decide what they want. Do they want high damage? Then they die fast, but kill fast. Do they want high defense? Then they does not die fast and not kill fast. If you have these extreme edges you can further adjust. For example to allowing the tank side mitigate more damage. For a strong tank side you can adjust a third edge the extreme penetration builds, which have no damage but medium life and high penetration. The tank killers and so you have in the end 3 extreme edges and at least a Rock, Paper, Scissors situation. The players itself can decide which playstyle they want. One of the extreme edges or a balanced build.

The current way of balance is more and more to equally the extreme edges so you have only a small path for damage/tank/penetration builds. Sooner or later you will only have one viable play style with this. This is boring in my eyes.

Well I think well rounded builds will not be viable with your original idea of removing battlespirit, because they are too vulnerable against glass canon builds, when they attack first (which is most likely the case, otherwise the glass canon builds plays it wrong). Meanwhile the tank characters are only viable, if they have strong healing abilities depending on their max health, otherwise they will not have the power to outheal glass canons due to missing stats limiting their heals.

Just removing the 5k health from battlespirit goes the same way encouraging gank playstyle, which leads to PvP being unfriendly for new players, which is a general problem when TTK is too short (thats why especially gankers and good players give new players a bad PvP experience).

I do not expect real performance improvements by cutting heals of off not group allies. The skill will go through the same checks if somebody is in the area, in the right angle and so on, will just add a new check, if the target is in the group. Even if this check is the first in line, the other check points still need to be calculated. Also the animations will still be there visible for everyone.
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

I do not expect real performance improvements by cutting heals of off not group allies. The skill will go through the same checks if somebody is in the area, in the right angle and so on, will just add a new check, if the target is in the group. Even if this check is the first in line, the other check points still need to be calculated. Also the animations will still be there visible for everyone.

That is totally wrong. Currently an AoE Heal LOS checks all friendly targets in hole Cyrodiil. Guards, friendly NPC and all players. They work same as an AoE Damage skill, where the LOS checks looks for all enemy targets in hole Cyrodiil. This is the reason why they ripped the deers.

With changing AoE Heals to Group Only the LOS checks only needs to iterate through the grouped player instances. This is a massive change in backend calculations.

PS: @Checkmath just ask @ZOS_Wrobel next time in the meeting how heals in backend works.
    Edited by Taonnor on October 16, 2018 9:23AM
    Guild

Addons & Guides

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is totally wrong. Currently an AoE Heal LOS checks all friendly targets in hole Cyrodiil. Guards, friendly NPC and all players. They work same as an AoE Damage skill, where the LOS checks looks for all enemy targets in hole Cyrodiil. This is the reason why they ripped the deers.

With changing AoE Heals to Group Only the LOS checks only needs to iterate through the grouped player instances. This is a massive change in backend calculations.

PS: @Checkmath just ask @ZOS_Wrobel next time in the meeting how heals in backend works.

What you said, is nothing different what I said, so why do you say my statement is wrong?
    Well when the group is spread, you still have to LOS check several instances. As said, it just implements one more check point before the others, where the others will only be checked for your group members instead of everything (if implemented right). Also even tough the calculations is run in the end only for your group, you still have the animation breaking more the performance than the simple calculation.
    Also cutting off heals to other allies is very unfriendly for a big amount of players. I do not think such a change will be taken gladly by the playerbase.

Following your statement, aoe heals first check if a friendly target is in range. Meaning it checks everything in cyro for the distance to your aoe heal. If yes, it may get healed, if no that ally will be left out in the next check point.

Your code would add a line before that, which will just check for every ally in cyro, if its in the group or not. If yes, then it will get checked, if the ally is also in range. If not, that subject will not be checked for the distance.
    Since group size can change and group members are not always in the same place, those checks will probably be coded the same way like the check if something is in range. You just added a yes-no-question before the whole line of check points, which will have to check the same amount of "individuals" as the current LOS-check.

The improvement to performance will not come from "healing can not affect allies outside your groups", but from dividing cyrodiil into smaller instances, where only the instances involved will be checked.
    Edited by Checkmath on October 16, 2018 9:58AM
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What you said, is nothing different what I said, so why do you say my statement is wrong?
    Well when the group is spread, you still have to LOS check several instances. As said, it just implements one more check point before the others, where the others will only be checked for your group members instead of everything (if implemented right). Also even tough the calculations is run in the end only for your group, you still have the animation breaking more the performance than the simple calculation.
    Also cutting off heals to other allies is very unfriendly for a big amount of players. I do not think such a change will be taken gladly by the playerbase.

Following your statement, aoe heals first check if a friendly target is in range. Meaning it checks everything in cyro for the distance to your aoe heal. If yes, it may get healed, if no that ally will be left out in the next check point.

Your code would add a line before that, which will just check for every ally in cyro, if its in the group or not. If yes, then it will get checked, if the ally is also in range. If not, that subject will not be checked for the distance.
    Since group size can change and group members are not always in the same place, those checks will probably be coded the same way like the check if something is in range. You just added a yes-no-question before the whole line of check points, which will have to check the same amount of "individuals" as the current LOS-check.

The improvement to performance will not come from "healing can not affect allies outside your groups", but from dividing cyrodiil into smaller instances, where only the instances involved will be checked.

A LOS Check is not a simple "if" statement. There is much more effort todo. And it is a huge different if you need to do a LOS check for hundrets instances in Cyrodiil or doing only LOS checks for indexed players in a list. This is literally 2-23 LOS checks against 500++ LOS checks. And the 2-23 targeted instances are indexed, so they does not need to iterate the hole list and look if they are your group mates.

With performance im mean the performance from servers, not the client performance, which are affected by the particle effects.
    Guild

Addons & Guides

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A LOS Check is not a simple "if" statement. There is much more effort todo. And it is a huge different if you need to do a LOS check for hundrets instances in Cyrodiil or doing only LOS checks for indexed players in a list. This is literally 2-23 LOS checks against 500++ LOS checks. And the 2-23 targeted instances are indexed, so they does not need to iterate the hole list and look if they are your group mates.

With performance im mean the performance from servers, not the client performance, which are affected by the particle effects.

Actually a LOS check is an if statement, it checks if the distance number is bigger than the aoe heal. Through locations, which are calculated permanently also distances will be calculated. This is atm done several times per second. So basically its an if question. Secondary a group is nothing permanent, so the index for your group members will be checked permanently too. If this should help, then this index needs to be coded in another way, so that the system does not check for all allies, if they are in the group. But this kind of code sounds easy, that is why I think it will be solved like this.
    So the most logic way to implement this in the current code (which is old and unfamiliar to many ZoS members) will be an a check of similar size to the LOS check. This is easy, because it only adds another line in front of the current code, meanwhile your idea would need more thinking and more work for ZoS.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing removing Battle Spirit would accomplish in the long term would be opening up a new tier of glass cannon builds. In the short term, players would struggle as they search for the new comfort zone, but eventually we'd back to square one except we would have to build tankier to survive the new tier of glass cannon that would be introduced.

I think the game is better without 12k HP glass cannons yoloing everywhere with 60k burst combos. I think it is better that I don't have to decrease my power:hp ratio from what it is today to survive that. Current high damage builds have already induced a tankier build than I prefer.

I think you've missed the relationship between high burst builds and the tankiness of the average experienced Cyrodiil player. It is high burst builds that dictate the HP floor for players on an individual basis. The same would be true if Battle Spirit was removed.

It would also make PVE a PITA for a lot of PVP players because we'd have to respec attributes constantly.

If you want to see more diversity and reduce the number of tanky builds in Cyrodiil, get rid of the crutch sets: master dw, zaan, earthgore, etc.. But unfortunately, the ZOS business model for PVP seems to be to constantly introduce OP sets so PVP players feel compelled to pay for new content to stay competitive.
    Edited by zyk on October 16, 2018 10:54AM
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually a LOS check is an if statement, it checks if the distance number is bigger than the aoe heal. Through locations, which are calculated permanently also distances will be calculated. This is atm done several times per second. So basically its an if question. Secondary a group is nothing permanent, so the index for your group members will be checked permanently too. If this should help, then this index needs to be coded in another way, so that the system does not check for all allies, if they are in the group. But this kind of code sounds easy, that is why I think it will be solved like this.
    So the most logic way to implement this in the current code (which is old and unfamiliar to many ZoS members) will be an a check of similar size to the LOS check. This is easy, because it only adds another line in front of the current code, meanwhile your idea would need more thinking and more work for ZoS.

Did you get this from ZoS? You forgot that a LOS check not only calculates the distance. You must check if the target is realy in sight and is in range. Every single action. So if a wall between both targets the heal should not hit the hidden target. Checking indexes of group members every tick is amateurish and i dont think ZoS do it so. You can easy do it event based and then you have only a change of the group status if a member joined/left.

We get out of topic. So let us go back to the beginning of this thread.
    Guild

Addons & Guides

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't just remove battlespirit, do you know how fun it has to be when you are hitting 20k hp players with 25k DBoS crits?
    It might be fun for the more experienced players but completely removing it will just scare away new players from PvP after they get 1 shot few times.

Opinion towards the rest: fine ideas, idk about removing emp, but zergs need to go, rezz timer has to be introduced, its ridiculous that you can just run in, die, get rezzed, respawn as often as you want.

But those changes are not gonna bring back all the veteran-people who left, its a bit too late now they gotta do more than just "change" Cyrodiil to bring back people who abandoned the game like a year or more ago.
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    But those changes are not gonna bring back all the veteran-people who left, its a bit too late now they gotta do more than just "change" Cyrodiil to bring back people who abandoned the game like a year or more ago.

I dont want bring peoples back. I want to advance the fun / experience in Cyrodiil. If this is on a high level, sooner or later more peoples will play Cyrodiil.
    Guild

Addons & Guides

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't just remove battlespirit, do you know how fun it has to be when you are hitting 20k hp players with 25k DBoS crits?
    It might be fun for the more experienced players but completely removing it will just scare away new players from PvP after they get 1 shot few times.

Opinion towards the rest: fine ideas, idk about removing emp, but zergs need to go, rezz timer has to be introduced, its ridiculous that you can just run in, die, get rezzed, respawn as often as you want.

That's the point, you won't have 20k health, you will be forced to make the 5k health up from other stats and build accordingly. This will have the added benefit of lowering damage as there are less damage orientated stats. The mentality of the player ignoring health as a stat will change.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the point, you won't have 20k health, you will be forced to make the 5k health up from other stats and build accordingly. This will have the added benefit of lowering damage as there are less damage orientated stats. The mentality of the player ignoring health as a stat will change.

thats not how any of this works, do you understand you can hit 50k+ snipes in PvE and if you remove battle spirit PvP environment wont be different from PvE one... if everyone dies to a spammable idk how that will be healthy to the game...

After Resistances you would probably still hit like 30k Snipes in PvP with the right build, so you are telling me everyone should just stack 30k HP and Zerg? Because we already have that situation.

If that is your idea of PvP everyone will just roll nightblade and run around 1 shotting people with snipes, nice idea.

Again. you cant just remove battlespirit, it was introduced to PvP for some reason.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on October 17, 2018 1:29PM