The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I'm in NA but had noticed a lot more 999+ spikes as well as the game freezing and my having to ALT F4 it. So is this why? Is the NA server also being routed through the Netherlands or someplace overseas? Because I live three hours from the NA server location so this oddness lately was confusing with my being so close.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • livvy7678
    livvy7678
    ✭✭
    I'm in NZ but play on the EU server and these past few days the lag has been ridiculous, more often than not I'm sitting on 999+.
  • ruengdet2515
    ruengdet2515
    ✭✭✭
    PING 250-350 all life. (Someday 500-700) then sleep.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    I've actually improved my lag, by spending $875 on a new mesh WiFi router - finished upgrading it on Tuesday. Didn't realise how much of a bottleneck my oldest router was. So now at primetime, my mount will appear almost straightaway - that would take up to 10s - and I can open loot boxes and interact with quest boards with only about 3s lag instead of 10-20s.
    Aaand then the shield nerf will hit in a couple of weeks. Ohhhh... the irony... xD

Out of interest, if NA is now being routed through the Netherlands, has the EU tracert changed at all of late? I'm on console so don't know how to check.

Happy to hear your gaming has improved.

As for the ping to Euro, i can only check If I can locate the IP address.

Today though, I can't play the game at all now and a quick tracert shows why;

vq5r7oP.jpg

For reasons I am still waiting to hear from my ISP, my data is being routed from NZ to Sydney instead of direct across the Pacific to California as was previously the case.

The consequence of this is that the next hop is to Akamai in Hong Kong which then routes to Europe and who knows where before it finally reaches PC/NA.

So my packets are taking a world tour before finally arriving in the US.

This is why I can't play the game any longer.

Sad :(

help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection%3F <-- shows EU IP.
    Edited by LadyLethalla on October 18, 2018 5:05AM
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on a lighter note - i have a bucket list including soloing a few vet dungeons... just gonna try to work through those but the ping will prolly screw that up anyway hahaha

I managed to solo vet Darkshade 1 HM while still on ADSL - at primetime- so it is possible :smiley:
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How would a VPN help you with latency? You'll probably take a longer route from your client to the server and back with it, plus some overhead traffic. Blame your region that is like 20 years back in time in infrastructure :neutral:
    EU PC
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    How would a VPN help you with latency? You'll probably take a longer route from your client to the server and back with it, plus some overhead traffic. Blame your region that is like 20 years back in time in infrastructure :neutral:

It helps some people because it forces them to be routed to an edge node on the Akamai network that is a better path than the one that is allocated to them via Akamai's GeoIP database. E.g. Connect to an LA exit node from Melbourne and you are guaranteed to connect to an Akamai edge node somewhere east coast USA compared to maybe being incorrectly routed through Hong Kong, Singapore or even somewhere in Europe because your IP address is being incorrectly assigned to that area or your ISP having a strange peering arrangement.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Perth and its always been 450+ for me... since 2014!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually improved my lag, by spending $875 on a new mesh WiFi router - finished upgrading it on Tuesday. Didn't realise how much of a bottleneck my oldest router was. So now at primetime, my mount will appear almost straightaway - that would take up to 10s - and I can open loot boxes and interact with quest boards with only about 3s lag instead of 10-20s.
    Aaand then the shield nerf will hit in a couple of weeks. Ohhhh... the irony... xD

Out of interest, if NA is now being routed through the Netherlands, has the EU tracert changed at all of late? I'm on console so don't know how to check.

vq5r7oP.jpg

For reasons I am still waiting to hear from my ISP, my data is being routed from NZ to Sydney instead of direct across the Pacific to California as was previously the case.

The consequence of this is that the next hop is to Akamai in Hong Kong which then routes to Europe and who knows where before it finally reaches PC/NA.

help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection%3F <-- shows EU IP.

It's because we don't vote...
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lokulin wrote: »

It helps some people because it forces them to be routed to an edge node on the Akamai network that is a better path than the one that is allocated to them via Akamai's GeoIP database. E.g. Connect to an LA exit node from Melbourne and you are guaranteed to connect to an Akamai edge node somewhere east coast USA compared to maybe being incorrectly routed through Hong Kong, Singapore or even somewhere in Europe because your IP address is being incorrectly assigned to that area or your ISP having a strange peering arrangement.

Haha this is actually pretty funny, didn't know the ISP:s were that bad :) is this Australia we're talking about? This problem would be an anomaly in western Europe
    EU PC
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha this is actually pretty funny, didn't know the ISP:s were that bad :) is this Australia we're talking about? This problem would be an anomaly in western Europe

You probably don't notice because most of the services you interact with are geographically closer. GeoIP databases being up to date aren't always under the control of the ISP. Not saying we don't have our share of bad ISPs but there are some unique challenges living on the opposite side of the world to where the vast majority of the content we consume is created and hosted.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

vq5r7oP.jpg

Ehhh.... wut? I've been voting for almost 30 years...
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's necessarily the ISPs at fault, but rather Akamai shouting 'hey, all you in this region, if you want the NA ESO server, come to this node'. Technically it's shorter between AU and the HK Akamai node compared to the AU to USA node, but the problem is how indirect it is compared to heading to the USA where the actual NA server is hosted.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate all the informed voices in this thread who have chimed in as to why our Oceanic ping has gone crazy ape bonkers. I'm far from being IT literate so it's been helpful. That said, at the end of the day Oceanic players need to know is this unplayable performance just a transient blip on the radar or the new status quo?
    Edited by Coggo on October 18, 2018 11:49PM
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, comparing the tracerts I did around this time last year and the ones I've done over the last week or so there's one thing that's standing out.

Last year the tracert would hit telstra.global > land at an IP in san diago > enter the Akamai network.

Now my trace routes hit telstra.global > then the very next hop is to Akamai. This hop isn't predictable, sometimes its to lax-akamai, or hkg2 (I'm guess Hong Kong?) or sjp (Japan or Singapore). As you watch the hops they all tend to land in the netherlands where the biggest latency spike occurs.

I'm starting to wonder if Telstra Global and Akamai have recently made changes that they thought would improve the overall experience but it hasn't worked.. The kiwi's that have posted their tracerts seem to be using telstra.global along their hops too. It was definitely better before when telstra.global connected to a US host before entering akamai
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone in Melbourne going to PAX Australia on October 26?

If so, ask Matt Firor about it ;)

220 is the best ping I have ever seen & that was about a year ago. At the moment 280-350 is 'good' & 350-600 is pretty common. (Bris NBN FTTH 100/100)
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm :d 300 400 is decent :D mostly EU have atleast 999+ XD
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    SNIP
    I'm starting to wonder if Telstra Global and Akamai have recently made changes that they thought would improve the overall experience but it hasn't worked.. The kiwi's that have posted their tracerts seem to be using telstra.global along their hops too. It was definitely better before when telstra.global connected to a US host before entering akamai

@SirDopey I've messaged my ISP here in NZ to ask why they have started routing US IPs through Sydney, the opposite direction, rather than through the gateway near Auckland like they used to.

Still awaiting a reply.

That won't help Aussies though. Unfortunately you are stuck with whatever gobbledegook Telstra does with their network.

'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    SNIP

@SirDopey I've messaged my ISP here in NZ to ask why they have started routing US IPs through Sydney, the opposite direction, rather than through the gateway near Auckland like they used to.

Still awaiting a reply.

That won't help Aussies though. Unfortunately you are stuck with whatever gobbledegook Telstra does with their network.

Yeah mate, it's a good idea. While we know it's not our ISP's fault causing the issue I'm encouraging all the aussies in my guilds to email their ISP's complaining. Maybe, just maybe, we can *** off the right person who knows who to talk to about fixing whatever has changed over the last few weeks.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    it is much lagger than before at SEA
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭

vq5r7oP.jpg

An assumption that politicians are making is that gamers don't vote.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can we get some official response to this please?
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    Can we get some official response to this please?

sadly crickets so far ! :(
    Edited by StackonClown on October 19, 2018 5:35AM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you still play ESO with constant lag like that, you must be really dedicated to this game. ZOS should not let loyal players down like that. But I'm afraid the issue is more technical and they "would if they could".
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

vq5r7oP.jpg

An assumption that politicians are making is that gamers don't vote.

Guess again.
    Plus our *cough* system means fines if we don't.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Anyone in Melbourne going to PAX Australia on October 26?

If so, ask Matt Firor about it ;)

Yes I am (on the 27th - I think he's on a trivia panel that day) and yes I will if I get a chance.

Dedicated? I think the correct word is obsessed.
    Edited by LadyLethalla on October 19, 2018 8:26AM
  • Aquatorch
    Aquatorch
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the Middle East (Bahrain) and I'm having the same issue as you. I used to sit at a resting ping of 350-400, but now I'm being routed through Hong Kong whenever I try to load up the game so my ping is sitting at 900+. This has been going on for several days now. Whenever I attack someone, my ping will spike to 9,000+ and I disconnect.

I can run a VPN and the problem is mostly solved, but the issue with my VPN is that it does both encapsulation and encryption, so that causes more lag than my normal (before four days ago experience).
  • Aquatorch
    Aquatorch
    ✭✭✭
    When I do an NSlookup on other programs that connect through the U.S., they're being routed properly and have no issues. When I try to run ESO, it looks like I'm being routed to the U.S. Akamai and then I'm being routed to Hong Kong's Akamai. I put in a trouble ticket with ZoS. 181020-000767.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    did someone at wakamai plug something back in ???
    seems slightly improved for me also
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spoke too soon lol - back to 600+
This discussion has been closed.