The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• kts
    kts
    ✭✭✭
    From NZ. Switched to fibre(slingshot) a week ago and my usual ping went from 217 - 250 down to 199 - 217 ingame but starting around 2 days ago now it's sitting at 284 - 300+. Was never this high in the years I've been playing
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine ping has been around the 250 mark most of the time for the last couple of years, but recently up to 300 consistently.

In Melbourne with ADSL 2 but had NBN in previous house and was the same.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    swaggasm wrote: »

I expect that they are throttling some destinations to cover the lack of investment.
    I went from 100Mbps back to 25 twelve months ago and didn't see a big performance drop.

I think a letter of denial is required from the relevant Minister.

Wouldn't surprise me if majority of ISP's are over selling bandwidth then throttling users to make a profit. I'm still annoyed that I missed getting FTTP by one suburb :( FTTN sucks.

Try missing out by one block (4 houses away) :'(

The border here is my back fence... seriously its insane.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as they say in oceania - its rooted mate!
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    467 constant today after maintenance i'm done.. Cancelling ESO+ and moving on.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has added around +100ms to the ping times of Oceania as a consequence of Akamai routing our traffic to Europe.

Pretty stupid to route North America traffic to Europe only to return it to North America again.

Of course with all those extra hops, there is a random increase of lost packets too causing very high latency spikes, +999.

The 380ms ping below is consistent with pings to Europe from New Zealand.

pEjcsPc.jpg

(@DanteYoda @StackonClown)
    Edited by MrGarlic on October 17, 2018 9:20PM
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Redenator
    Redenator
    Soul Shriven
    Australia too, ping usually 300-500 :/ really sick of it
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pings so bad right now I couldn't even log off.

Ridiculous.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    Pings so bad right now I couldn't even log off.

Ridiculous.

Just got disconnected and could not reconnect.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't they cater to the oceanic population when its such a significant percentage of our population.

Every other individual I run into in this game is Aussie. Practically half of them. Really sad why not build another server out there in the red centre.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO_GOD wrote: »
    Why don't they cater to the oceanic population when its such a significant percentage of our population.

Every other individual I run into in this game is Aussie. Practically half of them. Really sad why not build another server out there in the red centre.

I suspect they are trying to get rid of us.

They are doing a good job of that if it's their intention.

Not sure why @Matt_Firor would be in New Zealand and Australia this week trying to promote the game when it's virtually impossible to play it.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    ESO_GOD wrote: »

I suspect they are trying to get rid of us.

They are doing a good job of that if it's their intention.

Not sure why @Matt_Firor would be in New Zealand and Australia this week trying to promote the game when it's virtually impossible to play it.

Yes, that is a bad look because the game is not playable there. Hell, it's barely playable here a lot of the time.

You can't be all form but no substance. This has been proven many times over. You want to talk the talk.... you have to walk the walk.

So, what should be done is improve the experience for Aussies, then they can go and promote it all they want in good conscious.

"No, I'm not selling you something that is secretly lackluster for you." But most of the time that is not valued by people, or companies, or even acknowledged as being significant.

I'm not going to be telling people the way to live their lives.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah, my tracert at work on the Gold Coast shows the same things, ping jumps from 150 on the 11th hop to 400 on the 12th as it gets sent to netherlands......

This has been going on for quite a few weeks now and despite all the commentary ZOS is staying very quiet about what they're doing to force Akamai to fix their ***, one of my Australian guilds as basically shut down because Oceanic pings are too high to play competitively....

11 137 ms 137 ms 150 ms ae121.access-a.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com [72.
    52.2.189]
    12 439 ms 425 ms 420 ms 93.191.173.93
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 262 ms 265 ms 299 ms 198.20.192.3
    15 285 ms 331 ms 269 ms 198.20.198.100
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • CelticStones
    CelticStones
    ✭✭✭
    I unsubbed last week, for the first time since craft bags were introduced, partly boredom, but mostly ping leading to a crappy game experience. Cant run trials at all without getting freezes and punted. Not all down to ZOS, but it has def got worse over the last year. Shame really. Far North NZ copper wires, 1/2 meg up n down max)
    Edited by CelticStones on October 17, 2018 10:39PM
  • DRTE
    DRTE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree something has happened in the last few days routing through Netherlands for some unknown reason has caused game to become unplayable from New Zealand. Zos needs to really look at making it a better experience for the oceanic players they have lost so many because of high latency issues.
    DRAGON SPAWN

Tyrion septim. Stam DK
    Agneyastra. Mag DK
    Evil Buu. Mag Sorc
    Super Evil Buu. Stam Sorc
    Carmala Jabspammer. Magplar
    Get some help. Stamplar
    Plebby Longstockings. Stamblade
    Nightbot. Magblade
    Unslaad Krosis. Magden
    Dirty lich. Magcro
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually improved my lag, by spending $875 on a new mesh WiFi router - finished upgrading it on Tuesday. Didn't realise how much of a bottleneck my oldest router was. So now at primetime, my mount will appear almost straightaway - that would take up to 10s - and I can open loot boxes and interact with quest boards with only about 3s lag instead of 10-20s.
    Aaand then the shield nerf will hit in a couple of weeks. Ohhhh... the irony... xD

Out of interest, if NA is now being routed through the Netherlands, has the EU tracert changed at all of late? I'm on console so don't know how to check.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually improved my lag, by spending $875 on a new mesh WiFi router - finished upgrading it on Tuesday. Didn't realise how much of a bottleneck my oldest router was. So now at primetime, my mount will appear almost straightaway - that would take up to 10s - and I can open loot boxes and interact with quest boards with only about 3s lag instead of 10-20s.
    Aaand then the shield nerf will hit in a couple of weeks. Ohhhh... the irony... xD

Out of interest, if NA is now being routed through the Netherlands, has the EU tracert changed at all of late? I'm on console so don't know how to check.

Happy to hear your gaming has improved.

As for the ping to Euro, i can only check If I can locate the IP address.

Today though, I can't play the game at all now and a quick tracert shows why;

vq5r7oP.jpg

For reasons I am still waiting to hear from my ISP, my data is being routed from NZ to Sydney instead of direct across the Pacific to California as was previously the case.

The consequence of this is that the next hop is to Akamai in Hong Kong which then routes to Europe and who knows where before it finally reaches PC/NA.

So my packets are taking a world tour before finally arriving in the US.

This is why I can't play the game any longer.

Sad :(
    Edited by MrGarlic on October 17, 2018 11:54PM
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a bit sad how if someone says their costume is pink instead of purple someone from Zose jumps in to the thread and offers to help, please raise a ticket, send us a screenshot - but something like this - nah they wouldn't touch with a 100 foot pole.

That's is the main reason why Im going to unsub real soon. Just getting my last fill of dungeon runs, taking screenshots of my alts for the memories etc.

If the answer is that ppl in Aus/nz etc shouldn't have played this game to begin with, then why did they promote it here in the first place?

smh.
  • Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    It's tragically reassuring to read these comments. I've spent the last week troubleshooting my connection and settings but to no avail. In Melbourne I've seen an additional 50 - 100 ping keeping me perpetually in the 400s. VMA is impossible and end game content with my guilds is simply embarrassing. At this point my ESO+ gives me nothing more than an expensive monthly stipend to hang out online with my buddies in NA and Canada.

But I can do that on Discord for free.

Please ZOS high command hear our pleas from a Land Down Under.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple updates ago they changed something to prevent DDOS attacks. This change increased the ping for me from 220/230 to 320/350.

It hasn't gone back since. That was almost a year ago now.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it was the Falkreath Dungeon update that did it.
    Edited by Metafae on October 18, 2018 1:22AM
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only it were possible for the devs to experience their game at Oceanic ping. See how they do scale hm or vma on stam toons like stamplar or pvp (hahahaha what a laugh).

Sadly I doubt anything will make any difference to zos about latency in Oceania

• StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few of my friends in OZ are also on the very edge of leaving - we might do a couple of farewell events for anyone else on NA PC based in oceania that are moving on B)
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on a lighter note - i have a bucket list including soloing a few vet dungeons... just gonna try to work through those but the ping will prolly screw that up anyway hahaha
  • spekdah
    spekdah
    ✭✭✭
    Auckland, NZ here. Mine has been a constant 220 since I started playing 3 months ago. I'm on fibre.

But just in the last week, it's gotten worse with it spending some time at 330ms, and spiking 500-700ms. Pretty much around the time that the free quest was released. Logged off early last time as PvE even got annoying let alone a dungeon.

Checked half a dozen other games with NA region servers and they are all stable at ranges from 170-230ms.
  • DRTE
    DRTE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say it has something to do with akamai re-routing traffic for some reason it hits their servers goes to netherlands then back to their servers someone at ZoS need to get in touch with akamai.

1zeb0ic.jpg

DRAGON SPAWN

Tyrion septim. Stam DK
    Agneyastra. Mag DK
    Evil Buu. Mag Sorc
    Super Evil Buu. Stam Sorc
    Carmala Jabspammer. Magplar
    Get some help. Stamplar
    Plebby Longstockings. Stamblade
    Nightbot. Magblade
    Unslaad Krosis. Magden
    Dirty lich. Magcro
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an old thread that went nowhere - although at least someone asked for a futile ticket to be logged lolz

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/365840/problems-with-akamai-ddos-protection-used-by-eso-my-isps-response-huge-pings-and-packet-loss
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a ping of 250-270 when I first came back to the game in 2016. Since then it slowly got worse. Subsequently I moved further south and at first it got even worse often sitting at about 370. A few months ago, maybe due to ISP upgrades or maybe something on ZOS' end it settled down to between 270 and 320 but the last few weeks it has been very variable at all times of the day. US peak time seems worse tho.

As far as I know ZOS uses Akamai's IP Application Accelerator product to route users to the closest geographical Akamai edge node that then routes internally via Akamai to the ZOS servers in TX. The problem with this is sometimes Akamai thinks an edge node in Hong Kong or Japan is closer to you than a more appropriate node based on incorrect geoip or routing information. This seems to be part of the reason VPNs can improve performance by forcing you to appear to come from East Coast USA.

From a selfish point of view I would have at least preferred that ZOS set up their megaservers on the East Coast of the USA. It would shave maybe 50-100ms off pings from SEA depending on where you were. Of course it would make performance from EU and some of the most populated parts of the USA worse but it would probably be more fair overall.

What would be nice at least is if they instanced homes, dungeons and trials to servers that have the best pings for the group. Having worked on high traffic transnational websites before I know it is possible to shard users this way but it isn't trivial to do and probable something ZOS would never implement given how they seem to currently prioritize things. Unfortunately they are happy to take our money and give us sub standard service here in Aus like so many other international companies. The problem with being a rounding error on a corporate spreadsheet that isn't just particular to ZOS.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only it were possible for the devs to experience their game at Oceanic ping. See how they do scale hm or vma on stam toons like stamplar or pvp (hahahaha what a laugh).

Sadly I doubt anything will make any difference to zos about latency in Oceania

It is possible. There are products and open source tools that can introduce set or random latency in to networks. Back in 2007 I implemented such a tool for a large, international site that handled millions of transactions per day so that Devs could improve performance between the UK and Aus servers. In the end tho they never really used it because Devs have so much pressure to just deliver new features that performance usually gets pushed to the back. Poor performance in ESO isn't just limited to our poor ping. Even people in the USA living in TX complain of poor frame rates and CPU utilization.

I'm starting to think that nothing is going to solve these issues except an ESO 2 or similar. There is no way ZOS would do something like that now tho as they still seem to be making plenty of cash from the current mess.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, unfortunately for the first time since May 2014 I think I'll be pausing my sub. I just cannot play with a 300 - 400 ping when only a month ago it was 240
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi,

In in Australia - and my lag is way worse than a few months ago (took a break) - anyone else face this also?
    I wonder if its local or a global issue ?

Try play in EU server.
This discussion has been closed.