The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Multiple crashes this evening (Aussie time). Extended waits to relog, then insta-crashes.

This is not fun.

I've been playing since Beta and I think this game is telling me to move on.
    Knights of Nirn | Daggerfall Covenant | PC | NA server

Swamplurk | V16 | Breton | Sorceror
    Morass | V16 | Breton | Templar
    Knightmire | V16 | Imperial | Dragonknight
    Catagory | V9 | Khajit | Nightblade

• lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirelurk wrote: »
    Multiple crashes this evening (Aussie time). Extended waits to relog, then insta-crashes.

This is not fun.

I've been playing since Beta and I think this game is telling me to move on.

Any tips for games to move on to?
    I've hidden your signature.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Seri

From Brisbane, pretty much exact same routing. This must be the new route Telstra has settled on, slightly better than HK but still nowhere near the 170ms final destination ping I use to get from the Sydney -> USA route.

Hop 11 seems to be a bit higher than it should.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    2 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    3 18 ms 18 ms 16 ms ip-103-106-89-1.syd.xi.com.au [103.106.89.1]
    4 18 ms 18 ms 19 ms TenGigE0-2-0-6-3.ken-edge903.sydney.telstra.net [203.54.131.57]
    5 27 ms 20 ms 18 ms bundle-ether17.ken-core10.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.11.172]
    6 19 ms 18 ms 19 ms bundle-ether1.pad-gw11.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.6.61]
    7 23 ms 18 ms 18 ms bundle-ether1.sydp-core04.sydney.reach.com [203.50.13.90]
    8 131 ms 131 ms 131 ms 202.84.143.190
    9 133 ms 133 ms 132 ms 202.84.140.74
    10 131 ms 132 ms 130 ms 202.47.216.245
    11 157 ms 158 ms 162 ms 202.47.216.250
    12 137 ms 135 ms 134 ms unknown.telstraglobal.net [202.127.69.38]
    13 133 ms 134 ms 134 ms po110.bs-a.sech-tyo.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.56.192]
    14 158 ms 159 ms 162 ms ae120.access-a.sech-tyo.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.56.197]
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 263 ms 262 ms 264 ms a72-52-29-88.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.29.88]
    17 260 ms 266 ms 260 ms 198.20.192.3
    18 262 ms 263 ms 262 ms 198.20.198.110

Trace complete.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Mickydanz
    Mickydanz
    ✭✭✭
    Today my ping was extremely better NBN network 250-280 to NA - maybe its been fixed
    Cropsford Mayor
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickydanz wrote: »
    Today my ping was extremely better NBN network 250-280 to NA - maybe its been fixed

Nope. Unfortunately.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The routing change through japan instead of HK has had an improvement. I'm hovering between 290 - 340 which is obviously better than 380+ but it's still not the 230 - 250 I had a month ago.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still not fixed. Still no response.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    7 pages and no response.. Seriously there are better mmos out there ppl.

qtcajtt.jpg

Ping time at the top... This game is a *** mess.
    Edited by DanteYoda on October 31, 2018 1:48PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I un-subbed today. I feel liberated from all the angst and frustration this BS has caused.

Got no where with support.

Had a clearout of my bank to get it below 240.

Still have horses to feed so I'll continue to do that and check to see if the lag gets any better. I think that horse might have bolted though. Goodbye Fadeel. Enjoy the wilds of Rivenspire. :)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    I un-subbed today. I feel liberated from all the angst and frustration this BS has caused.

Still have horses to feed so I'll continue to do that and check to see if the lag gets any better. I think that horse might have bolted though. Goodbye Fadeel. Enjoy the wilds of Rivenspire. :)

I did last week i've moved on to another mmo and spent about $500 there instead and they have oceanic servers..
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    MrGarlic wrote: »

I did last week i've moved on to another mmo and spent about $500 there instead and they have oceanic servers..

Awesome. I started a trial account on another game that my wife plays so we'll see how that goes. North America server though but I get 220ms on that one. :)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audrena wrote: »
    Latency from Australia has always been an issue, but it used to be manageable. Then ZOS got DDOS'd, and responded by routing all game traffic through some sort of Akamai DDOS protection that instantly added another 40ms of latency, so from here in Melbourne on fibre I'd gone from around 200-220ms to 230-250. Still manageable, even if I often had to die my way through world boss one-shot spam.

In the last week or two, the average latency is now almost permanently in the red, sitting at 300-320, and only very occasionally dropping to 290 or so.

Needless to say, doing dungeons for the upcoming event is something worth saving up those freebie Crown Repair Kits for ;)

I would not be surprised if this was Akamai's fault again - though I am noticing a ~40ms rise in latency to WoW's US servers as well, implying that this could in fact be a routing issue (I'm with an ISP that uses Telstra Global for its international traffic, if that helps).

One thing it definitely NOT at fault is the NBN. Overseas routing is up to your choice of ISP, not the NBN.

2018-09-26

From then?
    Edited by Androconium on October 31, 2018 1:47AM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A VPN doesn't move you closer to the server...
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It can be used to bypass bad routing though.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Read the entire thread before commenting and maybe you'll see why people are recommending VPN's for those Australian and New Zealand players committed to continuing to play.....
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Aquatorch
    Aquatorch
    ✭✭✭
    @DanteYoda ... Seven pages on this thread only. There are a lot of other threads (some that ZoS closed) with people having similar issues, they just don't know about things like traceroutes or Akamai and are unsure of how to explain the issues.
  • Perniciouss
    Perniciouss
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the same issues with lag, rubber-banding, and getting DC'd, and I live in the middle of the USA...and my traffic is also being routed out of the US to the Netherlands and then back again. That is ridiculous in itself. I wish they would fix this problem!!!! It is wrecking my ability to participate in any serious dungeon content much less PvP.

I did a more in depth post about these same problems on another forum that is currently talking about this same issue:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/441033/it-is-waaayyyyy-past-time-for-performance-to-be-restored-and-changes-made-to-fix-the-lag/p2

Please ZOS....fix this so we can all go back to having fun again.
    Guild: Black Market Traders - One of the Oldest and Active Trading Guilds in Tamriel
    Guild: GL - Tamriel Fisherman's Guild - The oldest fishing guild in Tamriel. "There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore looking like an idiot."
  • Audrena
    Audrena
    ✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »

The routing change through japan instead of HK has had an improvement. I'm hovering between 290 - 340 which is obviously better than 380+ but it's still not the 230 - 250 I had a month ago.

Yep, I noticed today that my latency meter was NOT RED for the first time in weeks - it was at 280.

After I scooped up the remains of my exploded mind from the floor, I looked again and it had gone red, but "only" at 320-330, not 390-500 like before.

So, slightly better.

The OBVIOUS fix, though is to REMOVE AKAMAI. That'll take it down to the 200ms it used to be. That's right, 100+ ms of lag is being introduced by "protection" from something that rarely happens.

No other MMO does that. They instead respond to DDOS attacks if and when they happen. Mitigate, then move on.

Permanently destroying your game's performance to the point where its mechanics are literally meaningless, just in case some script kiddie decides to buy a DDOS for giggles? Sorry ZOS, it just makes NO sense to me at all.

• Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://imgur.com/a/H8nCRUm

Sitting in my own instanced house just now.

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://imgur.com/a/H8nCRUm

Sitting in my own instanced house just now.

I get that occasionally
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audrena wrote: »
    SirDopey wrote: »

Yep, I noticed today that my latency meter was NOT RED for the first time in weeks - it was at 280.

After I scooped up the remains of my exploded mind from the floor, I looked again and it had gone red, but "only" at 320-330, not 390-500 like before.

So, slightly better.

The OBVIOUS fix, though is to REMOVE AKAMAI. That'll take it down to the 200ms it used to be. That's right, 100+ ms of lag is being introduced by "protection" from something that rarely happens.

No other MMO does that. They instead respond to DDOS attacks if and when they happen. Mitigate, then move on.

Permanently destroying your game's performance to the point where its mechanics are literally meaningless, just in case some script kiddie decides to buy a DDOS for giggles? Sorry ZOS, it just makes NO sense to me at all.

Hmmm I do sympathize for them, slightly. The day they announced they've paused Akamai some smartarse kid will organize a DDOS attack. It's a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Now I'm not an expert in these things but I don't understand why they can't limit the scrubbing centers to nodes in very close proximity of the gaming server and have a fail safe that only activates the global nodes when those scrubbing centers are beyond congested. This in my mind, would continue to offer the Anti DDOS Protection while also avoiding unnecessary global trotting. But most importantly, it would allow global ISPs to best optimize their routing as they know once they get to the Akamai network there's only negligible latency beyond that to worry about.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • CH77
    CH77
    ✭✭✭
    Same here - exactly the same issues as everyone else.
    Unsubbed too due to this.

Canberra NBN FTTP with Aussie Broadband. Used to be 220-250, Now 320-350 with 999 spikes etc.

Nothing more to say - just want to add to the numbers in the hope that ZO$ notices one day....

I've tried a number of other MMOs but I like the feel of the ESO combat. A lot of guild members have gone (back) to WoW. I tried it (again) but just don't like the feel of the combat.
  • Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been a couple of weeks now dealing with this issue, and just 5 minutes ago I have been forced to turn down two requests to play with friends, cos dealing with me sitting at 450 is not going to work well for them.

I love playing ESO, but it seems you guys just don't care that the Oceanic playerbase will be forced to move on.

I'll give the Fallout 76 BETA a go tomorrow so at least Bethesda will be pleased they are making money.

• CH77
    CH77
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a couple of weeks now dealing with this issue, and just 5 minutes ago I have been forced to turn down two requests to play with friends, cos dealing with me sitting at 450 is not going to work well for them.

I love playing ESO, but it seems you guys just don't care that the Oceanic playerbase will be forced to move on.

I'll give the Fallout 76 BETA a go tomorrow so at least Bethesda will be pleased they are making money.

I'll be interested to see what the Fallout 76 ping from Aus will look like.... are the servers located in the same region?
  • Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I realise you can't say the name of the MMO here, but can you give a hint? What does it rhyme with?

Oceanic servers will factor very strongly in any future MMOs I play. <50ms ping vs 300ms+ ping = low lag happiness vs hair pulling frustration.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Genomic wrote: »

I realise you can't say the name of the MMO here, but can you give a hint? What does it rhyme with?

Oceanic servers will factor very strongly in any future MMOs I play. <50ms ping vs 300ms+ ping = low lag happiness vs hair pulling frustration.

Honestly i don't care at this point its Maple Story 2 yes cutesy but surprisingly indepth and you can actually level up with music you download and make your own clothing with photoshop and sell them to other players which funds your sub..

Far better game imo..and they seem to care more about customer issues as well..
    Edited by DanteYoda on November 2, 2018 1:06PM
  • ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    West Aust here getting 350-375 these days it has defiantly gotten slower over the past 12 months it was 300-320. I have practically stopped playing in the past few weeks now I have a new game to play with 80 ping.
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    ....if a VPN lowers your ping it means your ISP sucks.
    source: former CCNA
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    yurimodin wrote: »

True, but if there is just this ISP and the tier-1 network provider offers it's stuff just in bigger cities then what should one do?
    PTS-EU
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yurimodin wrote: »

It's not the ISP that decides which Akamai node the connection hits first or where Akamai bounces the traffic around once it has hit that first node. Please read the full thread and educate yourself
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
This discussion has been closed.