The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Piercing mark, reconsider this nerf.

• Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Arthalion1 wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    It's a zegling skill, so I'm glad it's getting nerfed.

If you play solo or in a small group, you can't afford to slot this skill.

I do play solo and small man and have almost always slotted this skill, so not true. But thank you for confirming that is not used because people prefer other abilities, not because it's too dirty to possibly use ;)

Well do yourself a favour and drop it. If you're wasting a slot on this you're gimping yourself in some way.

Zergers can afford to gimp themselves however, so zerglings often use it.

I use it; Its required when using Dots so Nightblades don't stealth away and completely negate the dots.

• PlainText
    PlainText
    Soul Shriven
    I play Night Blades and Templars in PVP. I'm not the best; I'm not the worst. Honestly, I've adapted my build more for the playstyles I find fun - this is a game - and effective for me as opposed to trying to make them "best in class". As a stamblade DW/Bow I use Piercing Mark as part of my skillset to support my team. I'm a glass cannon for the most part but that's my build and my challenge. Don't get all bent that I won't go "toe to toe" with you, I fight from stealth and at range when I can because that's my strength. And I try to keep engagements that way just as everyone else tries to manipulate the terms of the engagement to favor them. Piercing Mark and its morphs aren't crutches, they're tools that I use to play the way I want to play just as you play the way you want to play.

But taking a tool from having its effects last 30 secs to 5 secs - that's not a "tweak". That just radically changed the tool. I chose to slot that skill (and level it up) to assist my team and I use it that way. And by changing it from 30 to 5 seconds ZOS just turned it into something else entirely.

I wouldn't mind it if they took it down - all the way to 12-15 seconds. But to take it from 30 to 5? That fundamentally changes the way that tool works. That's not tweaking it, it's making it a new skill entirely.

"Khajiiti, catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    (Khajit haz catapult. Give Khajiit all the money, or this one will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
    Anonymous Khajiit Tourist in Cyrodil, 2E 581
  • DivineFirstYOLO
    DivineFirstYOLO
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

And based on this thread I guess you're not playing a stealth oriented NB (and if you are, it's gotta be a magicka NB with Purge slotted who uses Piercing Mark on other NBs).

Piercing Mark is the most disgusting, toxicity evoking skill in the game and players who Xv1 with it deserve every tbag/other type of BM they get.

100% agree, and every Xv1 NB is using mark.. yes people could slot purge, but mark is too easy to use..costs half as much as purge and lasts way too long. Will be a decent change next patch.
    Zerg Squad

Godslayer x 4

Pro questing fees for RPers in Cyrodiil, pay your taxes!
    PC - EU

• Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭
    KingJ wrote: »
    Nerf cloak all you want personally I don't care now Heavy stamblade/Brawlerblade is better than medium cloak blade by miles.Nerf cloak medium is dead no class is using it.

<3
    Edited by Arkangeloski on September 28, 2018 4:31PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that change it'll be funny to watch nb vs nb fights :D
  • Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    With that change it'll be funny to watch nb vs nb fights :D

Never had a problem hunting down other nb's with detect pots as well as being hunted (you win some you loose some) B). can't wait for this to be live in all platforms... I have no sympathy for nb's that use mark except for magblades for debuff purposes, other than that it promotes toxic gameplay snipe spammers behind a zerg or in bg's like snipe is not already bad enough and zenimax has done 0 to address those health desyncs that go hand in hand with that trash ability, and now next patch no evasion? Who is going to save you on your medium armor when those glitchy snipes start to rain on your head? I mean you can dodge roll but how many times can you dodgeroll vs how many times the can spammed on you? Plus they want to mark you for 30 secs?
    I don't know about u guys but I'm glad mark it's going to be trash next patch lol l2p
    Edited by Arkangeloski on September 30, 2018 11:25PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    Nb’s up in arms about a nb change that counters their own class. Even they can understand how strong cloak is yet we aren’t seeing a hard nerf to the skill.

Streak cost increase on cloak every 5 seconds of re cast. Or it doesn’t last as long/nullifies mag gen like mist.

Tbh just makes my 1v1 stamblade that much stronger in cyro so idc

here is ^ proof ^ that people asking for cloak nerfs out of revenge and spite instead of class balance.
    SGafj7V.png
    Here is ↑ proof ↑ that people maining stamblade for too long are getting extremly biased and dont even think about balance when they're talking about balance prefering instead of keeping their build untouched even when it overperforms just for the sake of their own benefit.

Edited by Juhasow on October 1, 2018 2:38AM
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have a whiner, sorry winner.

The one and only class of ESO that its skills is being nerfed to buff them is: Nightblade.
    Edited by Nicko_Lps on October 1, 2018 3:49AM
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uncalled for changes. I bet a NB wrecked Wrobel really hard.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When nightblades are nerfed because of themselves....

TBH fighter guild's detection ability should work like mark.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 1, 2018 4:13AM
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only have one problem with mark, it is a nb counter that is given to nbs xD
    Doesnt make a hole lot of sence.
    And is it realy so hard to recast it every 5 seconds? I like this changes because it gives a counterplay to mark for nbs who realy able to play their class, before this change it just was a "braindead" counter in a 1vX situation.

Aaaand before i get asked: no i dont play a nightblade and actual i realy hate cloak =P
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was very surprised to read in the patch notes that the stealth detection element of piercing mark is being reduced from 30 seconds to 5 seconds.

There are several reasons why I consider this change to be unwarranted:

1. From my experience (as a nightblade), I would not say this skill is overly utilised and certainly won't be after this patch.

2. Cloak is one of the most complained about skills in the game, so to essentially remove the only hard counter seems like an odd decision- I appreciate it is not being removed, but given the cost of the ability it cannot be justified for a 5 second duration.

3. Very few nightblades are using this ability for major breach, so it will be redundant. We have surprise attack for major breach.

4. Does anyone even complain about this ability? Only the person using mark can see the target. How was it considered overpowered?

5. Finally, it is a huge reduction. I could accept say 15 seconds, but 5 seconds really is overkill.

Please keep in mind this is coming from someone who has mainly played nightblade from launch.

Am I missing something?

Very few NBs? Every single NB in IC is. Every single Magblade in BGs is.

NO.

Also, I'm tired of dying to zergs in cyro because some chucklehead slots mark.

NO.
  • Aldul
    Aldul
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just gonna say this: As a sorc, I _never_ have been afraid of being marked. And that might be because I was able to shield, but I can imagine that any class/build, capable of reading the situation and surroundings should have been laughing at what being marked by a nb meant to them. Feel free to _buff_ this skill. It has never been powerful in pvp imho ...
    While I'd qq and even ragequit the game if ZOS reconsiders casttime to sorc shields, I can easily say that this nerf is kinda pointless. That's fair, isn't it? :wink:
    - - PVP -only, sorc-only - AD Veteran - -
    - CULTURES Social Guild (EU) -
  • Arthalion1
    Arthalion1
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think it's quite clear we have two sides here. A lot of nbs who hate mark with a passion and a lot who consider mark to be a fair ability, which will probably be quite useless with a 5s duration.

I am sort of surprised by the response from a lot of nbs. It comes across as quite greedy to me, as being marked is often the only thing to stop a nb rampage.

Edit- this part of my comment probably wasn't fair, as not true of all nbs.

I will be interested to read the notes this afternoon. I'd be very happy with a 10-15s duration, otherwise I will slot something else.
    Edited by Arthalion1 on October 1, 2018 1:30PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think it's quite clear we have two sides here. A lot of nbs who hate mark with a passion and a lot who consider mark to be a fair ability, which will probably be quite useless with a 5s duration.

I am sort of surprised by the response from a lot of nbs. It comes across as quite greedy to me, as being marked is often the only thing to stop a nb rampage.

You shouldn't be able to secure kill after kill with no concerns about being revealed, in my opinion.

I will be interested to read the notes this afternoon. I'd be very happy with a 10-15s duration, otherwise I will slot something else.

I play other classes more than nb, mark was too much of a hard counter.

Having soft counters in the game is good, having a skill basically disable another skill for 30s from 60m was stupid.
    Edited by leepalmer95 on October 1, 2018 11:35AM
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was too much of a hard counter, but while most classes get weaker; stam NBs are really getting stronger. The only thing that might be getting better as a counter might be if we get more stam-sorcs from all the magicka ones flipping. And anyone who stands in the open better run impreg.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    It was too much of a hard counter, but while most classes get weaker; stam NBs are really getting stronger. The only thing that might be getting better as a counter might be if we get more stam-sorcs from all the magicka ones flipping. And anyone who stands in the open better run impreg.

Ehm...Sorry but was there a patch that did not made stamblades+magblades stronger? :sunglasses:
  • The_Shadowborn
    The_Shadowborn
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be better that if someone marks you then you could also see them. Yeah 5 seconds is too much 15-20 would be fine but for the love of god allow me to find the zergling that marked me.
    @W_Shadowborn (PC/EU)
    - Toxic Toads
    - Noxious
    - [/s] Cyrodiil's Fist
    [/s]
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok let me say something about mark from perspective someone who was on both ends of this skill:
    - when in 1v1 situation this skill was not changing as much as it seems. When you're magicka just use shield and wait for inc attack, when on stam hold block and be ready to roll/brak free.
    - when you're outnumbered you need run really fast and use LoS a lot if you will be able to get out range of NB who marked you, you will survive, if not in most cases yore dead no matter how good you are. The only exceptions from this are surroundings with lots of obstacles and different levels where you can use shadow image effectively
    - when you use it against single NB while running with zerg, if you know what are you doing no matter how good that NB will be, he's dead. There is no REAL counter for this skill, it's few times cheaper than purge and requires at least 2 casts of purge to get rid of the reveal effect.

In general 30s was far to long, it didn't allowed for any real counterplay other than running away, that was broken (same as Shieldbreaker is broken vs MagSorcs, when you meet someone competent with that set all you can do is to run away). 5s though maybe to short against someone experienced who knows how to use LoS... On the other hand even those 5s of reveal will be more than enough to kill NB when caught in open filed. Needs some tests definitely but in general it's a change in good direction.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a fun exercise, read the postings in here and replace „Mark“ with „Oblivion damage“. It’s illuminating.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Ryan1704
    Ryan1704
    ✭✭✭
    It was too frequently used as a zerglings tool to completely negate a defence mechanism which is easily countered anyway. Also it was dumb that nightblades even had this skill in the first place as i think its unfair that the only class that has effective stealth also had the best stealth removal skill.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Man this game.. seriously
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be better that if someone marks you then you could also see them. Yeah 5 seconds is too much 15-20 would be fine but for the love of god allow me to find the zergling that marked me.

That's some fine straw clutching.

On that same line of thinking then, wouldn't it be better that if someone snipes you it does the same dmg to them, because for the love of god that coward that sniped me should feel the same pain.

Doesn't make much sense either...
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undefwun wrote: »

On that same line of thinking then, wouldn't it be better that if someone snipes you it does the same dmg to them, because for the love of god that coward that sniped me should feel the same pain.

Funny thing is that "back in the day" it actually debuffed both players.

I'm really conflicted on this personally. If I am playing defense I use mark to help chase down gankers but like I said, most good stamblades could care less nowadays. Mizaru is just going to laugh and keep rolling. Others will just run away a mile at speeds you can't match. On the other hand a lot of players will freeze if you mark them.

If I am out playing offensively then I slot eff purge and hope I don't get marked and have a zerg on my tail. Just last night I was trying to pick off siegers on the N side of Alessia. I accidently picked a tanky fella and before I knew it I was marked and even though I managed to mist behind a rock the double purge was too late and I was toast.

Being marked is a pita for mag nb the most.
  • The_Shadowborn
    The_Shadowborn
    ✭✭✭
    Undefwun wrote: »

No its not. It makes mark a choice for a player to make; to actually fight this person rather than cower in the shadows waiting for more people to arrive to finish a job they started and couldn't finish.
    @W_Shadowborn (PC/EU)
    - Toxic Toads
    - Noxious
    - [/s] Cyrodiil's Fist
    [/s]
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soo, with detect pots having an warning and mark nerfed by 25s, is it fair to ask for an overhaul of Magelight and especially Expert Hunter?

Like decreased costs and larger radius? Expert Hunter costs 4k stam in 5 medium and has only 6m range. That's nothing, especially with the movement speed some NBs have. Other than that, the passives are nice but the morph's are both so bad I don't even care to spend a skill point in them.
    Soo, with detect pots having an warning and mark nerfed by 25s, is it fair to ask for an overhaul of Magelight and especially Expert Hunter?

Like decreased costs and larger radius? Expert Hunter costs 4k stam in 5 medium and has only 6m range. That's nothing, especially with the movement speed some NBs have. Other than that, the passives are nice but the morph's are both so bad I don't even care to spend a skill point in them.

It’s actually a buff. Nightblade survivability got hammered with this patch.
  • Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is drinking the tears of your own kind considered canibalism? :D
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the nerf was a good change.

Having one skill that is godlike vs opponents of the same class using a certain skill but useless 99% of the rest of the time is quite an odd way to design a skill. Furthermore, the skill essentially had zero counters (I say essentially instead of actually zero because I am aware purge exists).

So, the nerf makes it less godlike in one scenario out of many, and hopefully opens the door to buffs in other ways. Of course, ZOS won't actually do anything like that and will probably leave the skill to burn in the firey pits of heck, but that's nothing new.