The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

HDR broke on xbox since wolfhunter? EDIT: Patch coming early october

• dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JahneeO wrote: »
    I'd like to see this comparison at the same time of day. Top picture is either sunup or sundown and the character is standing in the shade. Bottom picture looks to be high noon and the character is in direct sunlight. This could be a perfect example of HDR working as intended.
    Fair observation, but I'm not going to stand around and wait for the right time of day to demonstrate to you that ZOS broke HDR. If you have HDR, you already know they did - and if you don't have HDR, then this doesn't affect you.

Bottom line is that ZOS has already acknowledged that their unannounced change had "unintended consequences" (One of which may well be the cancellation of my sub) so there's already an official admission that it is not, in fact, working as intended. All we're looking for is an ETA on a remedy, and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

PS4NA
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    I'd like to see this comparison at the same time of day. Top picture is either sunup or sundown and the character is standing in the shade. Bottom picture looks to be high noon and the character is in direct sunlight. This could be a perfect example of HDR working as intended.
    Fair observation, but I'm not going to stand around and wait for the right time of day to demonstrate to you that ZOS broke HDR. If you have HDR, you already know they did - and if you don't have HDR, then this doesn't affect you.

Bottom line is that ZOS has already acknowledged that their unannounced change had "unintended consequences" (One of which may well be the cancellation of my sub) so there's already an official admission that it is not, in fact, working as intended. All we're looking for is an ETA on a remedy, and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'm sure they'll wait for the next incremental. No sense in rushing these things. Right, @ZOS_GinaBruno ?
  • maingray
    maingray
    ✭✭
    Much like Google did with their Pixel 2 screen colors; they said the new unsaturated scheme was closer to how they wanted and "standard". Finally they relented to outcry and gave folks the vibrancy back.

Please revert this; I sunk a lot of money into a HDR monitor for this game and loved the pre-patch saturation.
    Edited by maingray on August 30, 2018 2:45PM
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This could be a perfect example of HDR working as intended.
    ROLFMAO.

No, it doesn't. It shows why HDR isn't working.

Note the fireplace in the "before" picture. See how the light from the flames is contained in the fireplace?

Now look at the bottom picture. Notice how the light is diffused in the fire place.

Also, take a look at the top of the cherry tree in the background. With HDR, that tree top would not be entirely pink as evidenced with the second picture as the light changes due to distance from the source.

There's no question HDR is broken, especially since ZoS has admitted to "unintended consequence" of changing something in the game.

Working as intended. That was funny. Awesome for you making me laugh in real life!
    :lol:

• Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To anyone saying this is now 'working as intended', you're wrong, unless of course you think having a slider in the game that does absolutely nothing was the intent of the developers in which case I have a slider farm to sell you.

This is the only game I really play. I invested in a new TV an PS4 upgrade just to play it with the best possible visuals. I'm not normally one to jump on the 'bash the devs' bandwagon because I know how the process goes. But completely breaking the visuals of your game when it's been around for years makes me wonder what sort of QA ZOS has.

Either:

1.) The update was not ever tested on an HDR setup, which is just absurd.

2.) The update was tested on an HDR setup and the testers didn't notice or report the problem, in which case - get new testers.

3.) The update was tested on an HDR setup, the issues were reported, and ZOS decided to release the update anyways with broken visuals and no warning, with absolutely zero plan in place to address the obvious outcry of people wondering why their game suddenly looks like garbage.

If you think it looks "better" or "fine" now, I don't know what to tell you. I will have to take some screen shots when i get home but the visuals are flat out broken. The most noticeable place ive seen it has been on character effects from gear like orbs and enchants and things that are supposed to 'glow', only the white/light/bright levels that make these things appear to be lights now actually is a washed out grey so it doesn't even make sense that they are light sources.
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I'm still not clear if intention is to shut off HDR, or something else was intended and it shut HDR off unintentionally and they gunna fix it.

It seems to me like they were trying to taper down unnecessarily excessive saturation, but it overperformed?
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I'm still not clear if intention is to shut off HDR, or something else was intended and it shut HDR off unintentionally and they gunna fix it.

It seems to me like they were trying to taper down unnecessarily excessive saturation, but it overperformed?

No. Something is simply not working. Otherwise there would not be a slider in the game that does absolutely nothing.
  • JahneeO
    JahneeO
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »

Working as intended. That was funny. Awesome for you making me laugh in real life!

Hey, no problem on the laugh part. My point was that the character is in two different lighting positions in the photos.
    One he is in the shade and the fireplace is much more vivid.
    in the second one, he is standing in the direct sunlight and it is not so vibrant.

Lighting effects playing off each other is one of the benefits of HDR, so like I said maybe it is working as intended.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »

Hey, no problem on the laugh part. My point was that the character is in two different lighting positions in the photos.
    One he is in the shade and the fireplace is much more vivid.
    in the second one, he is standing in the direct sunlight and it is not so vibrant.

Lighting effects playing off each other is one of the benefits of HDR, so like I said maybe it is working as intended.

If you mean working as intended as in it's been done purposely - yes

Still looks bad though
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so like I said maybe it is working as intended.

I will point you to the most obvious counter-argument against "working as intended", and that is that the HDR slider in the game now does nothing. Obviously something is broken.
  • bee_tiswasnot
    bee_tiswasnot
    ✭✭✭
    shack80 wrote: »
    Since the new patch me and at least couple of friends have lost HDR? Something we are missing or is it just broken?

Thanks for posting that. I just spent an hour fiddling with the TV.

• Audrena
    Audrena
    ✭✭✭
    I've been posting in the PS4 thread about HDR where the same visual nerf happened, and came up with this comparison; first shot is before the Wolfhunter patch, second one is after the patch.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0nARINWiTTg_hUuCypVEk3_ss7RQ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0nARINWiTTg_hVYrNYuJmezCRdpQ

If that's "working as intended" then their intentions need rethinking.
    Edited by Audrena on August 30, 2018 8:08PM
  • woodap
    woodap
    ✭✭✭
    Krayl wrote: »

Either:

1.) The update was not ever tested on an HDR setup, which is just absurd.

2.) The update was tested on an HDR setup and the testers didn't notice or report the problem, in which case - get new testers.

3.) The update was tested on an HDR setup, the issues were reported, and ZOS decided to release the update anyways with broken visuals and no warning, with absolutely zero plan in place to address the obvious outcry of people wondering why their game suddenly looks like garbage.

If you think it looks "better" or "fine" now, I don't know what to tell you. I will have to take some screen shots when i get home but the visuals are flat out broken. The most noticeable place ive seen it has been on character effects from gear like orbs and enchants and things that are supposed to 'glow', only the white/light/bright levels that make these things appear to be lights now actually is a washed out grey so it doesn't even make sense that they are light sources.

Exactly this... the utter incompetence of ZOS is beyond belief. I don't want this grey washout of a game.. give me the back the beautiful world that I have been enjoying and paying for.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audrena wrote: »
    I've been posting in the PS4 thread about HDR where the same visual nerf happened, and came up with this comparison; first shot is before the Wolfhunter patch, second one is after the patch.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0nARINWiTTg_hUuCypVEk3_ss7RQ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0nARINWiTTg_hVYrNYuJmezCRdpQ

If that's "working as intended" then their intentions need rethinking.

I don't know what pics you are referring to. For what ever reason the same pic shows up. Same thing in your other thread. 4 or 5 different links same pic.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • woodap
    woodap
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    I don't know what pics you are referring to. For what ever reason the same pic shows up. Same thing in your other thread. 4 or 5 different links same pic.

One is full of colour, the other is virtually black and white. Are you a Zenimax tester?
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woodap wrote: »

One is full of colour, the other is virtually black and white. Are you a Zenimax tester?

No I am not. Just a casual player. Only reason I am asking is you have 5 or 6 pics so I am not sure what you are trying to compare. Just wanted to let you know because if I didn't know, maybe Zenimax wouldn't know either. I am sure your pics will be sent to them to be looked at.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • GDOFWR420
    GDOFWR420
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back just to say I logged in and you're game still looks something terrible.

You know were not gonna let this die so you guys might wanna fix it back the way it was.
  • Audrena
    Audrena
    ✭✭✭

They're quite clearly different links with different screenshots, and they were captured months apart... and quite clearly show the de-saturation of colour and removal of HDR in the current patch.

• LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Psijic Senche was glorious pre-patch and is now just a ghost :(
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audrena wrote: »

They're quite clearly different links with different screenshots, and they were captured months apart... and quite clearly show the de-saturation of colour and removal of HDR in the current patch.

Yes I did say the links were different. Thing is I click on the different link but I still keep getting the same picture. I am not familiar with the site so I didn't even look for dates or anything like that. :)

• BlackNSilverWay
    BlackNSilverWay
    Soul Shriven
    I sent a tweet to @ElderScrollsOnline and told them the issue. Now I did in fact get a reply (Surprising honestly) and it said that they are "Aware of the issue" and are in the process of fixing the problem.

That's great news because I said I would cancel my ESO+ and stop paying till it's fixed (Wasn't kidding). I usually do not like to threaten business's but in this case after spending the kind of money I have to get the best expierence you best be [removed inappropriate language] I'll do anything I possibly can to make sure it's fixed.

*Thanks ESO for responding to my tweet. That's good customer service.*
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on September 5, 2018 1:57PM
  • Rackdaniels
    Rackdaniels
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they understand the inpact and scale of the issue that is broken for us who have used to full scale HDR.This is not a minor thing but has huge effect to housing,outfitting,harvesting,combat etc.Pretty much every aspect of the game that has visual effect->whole game.Well,I do like sounds though and staring inventory but that gets pooring pretty quickly.Fix has to be top priority and done ASAP!
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no clarity. If intention was dropping HDR fully, or a smaller intentional change to it that broke it totally unintentially.

Bought the Kena arms pack yesterday, looks rubbish. Tempted to ask Customer Services for my money back until HDR is fixed as it may look better when the colour isnt washed out. Waste of 2.5K Crowns right now
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • happyhughes2001
    happyhughes2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any updates on this? It’s jarring playing this game now when you have been used to it looking so much better.
  • ecconova
    ecconova
    ✭✭✭
    That is it no word on it anymore. I thought Gina said they would keep us posted. I have not played since the update. I feel I should get a complete refund on game, and all crown I have bought. The crown I bought for the items I wanted like housing was for the future of my playing the game. I feel totally ripped off. This is not a change in game mechanics it is a fundament change to how the game looks since I decided to start playing. Looks like I will be forced to quit game and I will be pursuing this. A change like this may not fall under the user agreement and they might be liable for our costs since they made the game different then what we have been paying for and what we bought into when we started playing. I am rightfully mad at the lack of information. I was trying to be patient now I am just pissed. A simple statement on if they are going to do something is all we ask.
  • ForMalacath
    ForMalacath
    ✭✭✭
    They will probably provide an update on tonights Murkmire stream i'm guessing
    In Malacath we trust

XB1 EU
  • ecconova
    ecconova
    ✭✭✭
    [removed quote]

I got the same response on day one of problem from a tweet and no more responses to any of my follow ups for information since. So I disagree about the customer service.
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on September 5, 2018 1:57PM
  • blunned
    blunned
    ✭✭✭
    All I can hope is that this issue continues to highlight the general lack of appreciation and attention toward console players from ZOS (which has been slightly improving but is nowhere near acceptable) and leads to a discussion of the many quality of life improvements that are desperately needed on console. With the break to HDR, it’s now not just the UI that feels like it’s from the early 90’s (I’m looking at you lack of search function in the guild trader and lack of a mini-map), the graphics now match.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Please provide an update if you can. I realize there are a lot of people here who request updates on bugs in the game but IMHO a technical issue like this should be addressed asap considering the game claims to support HDR and it clearly does not - not only is it not currently supported, what is in the game looks awful. some of us have spent upwards of $2000 or more on PS4 pro/TV setups, in some cases specifically because we play this game a lot and want it to look it's best. Never mind the fact that anything in the game that has color indicators like some of the new dungeon mechanics are 100 times more confusing when your game looks almost black and white.

• Greyman665
    Greyman665
    Soul Shriven
    So it's not just me. Holy crap, what did you do to the wonderful colour!?