The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

HDR broke on xbox since wolfhunter? EDIT: Patch coming early october

• madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mdylan2013 wrote: »
    Just posted a reply in a different thread, but just so you all are aware too, the change to HDR was intended to aid in some overly-saturated assets found throughout the game but it had some unintended consequences. We’re continuing to evaluate the changes that were made in today’s patch, and will keep everyone updated on the status.

I actually really like it. It makes the game seem more realistic and certain effects like fire appear a lot more life like. It took a few hours to get used to but it is an improvement imo

Solution for both of us; They can revert to the pre-patch HDR for me and you can simply turn off HDR on your console. Then you get what you want and I get eye-popping color.
  • o_0
    o_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    o_0 wrote: »
    This is more then a tweak, HDR slider no longer has any affect on my OLED tv, HDR is disabled and a side by side with a non HDR tv on the same system looks identical. Please fix this.
    I wonder if anyone at ZOS even realizes that the "HDR Brightness" slider under Video does absolutely nothing at all.... lol

Actually it does. If you have an HDR TV with the ability to display those levels of HDR brightness, which not all do. I noticed a difference using it with the level of "glow" from light sources. Even with this change i can see that it is "attempting" to adjust the tone but when the overall scale has been changed to garbage, any setting still leaves it at garbage. HDR is still being applied. It can be seen in the load screens and even in game, however all "glow" affects that used to be present are now muted. Its a blanket "fix" for those with mediocre HDR sets and takes away from everyone else. My concern is ZOS wont address this as in their mind everyones will look the same and its at least working and no worse then non HDR. It took months for ZOS to address the few complaints about over saturation with this supposed fix, how long till we see any changes now?
  • GDOFWR420
    GDOFWR420
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have screwed with the HDR zos. It will make the game unbearable to play without my bold colors. I like others invested in a one x and 4k television so I could game in 4k with vibrant color.

I would just reverse your little fix, cause I didn't here anyone complaing before, but look now you thought you fixed hdr and broke it.

Now you have to listen to us complain.

Remember "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue is not with the missing patch notes. The issue is that it is clearly evident that this new patch was never actually fired up and tested even once on the console systems prior to release. Had it been tested on a single xbox1x, i would hope that someone there would say, "huh, something looks off". It is truly disappointing that something like this makes it to the actual game. I understand that here is no PTS for the consoles, but when there is no test conducted on either of the system prior to release, the company is effectively ignoring 2/3 of the player base and hoping that things will work out when it hits the console systems. At this point there is nothing one can do but laugh at the situation. Every single update, it is the same song and dance with something getting fixed, but something else breaking, especially on the console. Game updates should not be RNG based!

Side note: Attuanble stations placed too far from the entrance at houses still have not been fixed. This was an issue with Morrowind's launch (fixed when clockwork was released), and it was once again broken with Summerset's release... and considering that they were not addressed with this update, once again it is going to be a 6 months wait to get it fixed. Fingers crossed that it will not be longer than that, but then again, there is always 2019.
    Edited by Blacknight841 on August 29, 2018 6:31PM
  • ecconova
    ecconova
    ✭✭✭
    Bottom line is this going to be fixed? You say you are monitoring the situation not that it will be fixed. I have not played since up date. I will cancel my subscription if this is the new look to HDR. I was being patient but since you have not confirmed a fix is being worked on I am mad and feel a bit ripped off not being able to play going on two days now. The HDR may not have meant a lot to the developer but to many of us the 4k HDR is what brought us to the game I hate to have it the reason I leave.
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got home from work. Can't decide if I want to look at this ugly mess long enough to run one of the new dungeons. I did decide, however, to cancel my auto renew for ESO+. Guess I should get in those dungeons in the next couple days because my wallet is closed until the sky over Belkarth is blue again.
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just posted a reply in a different thread, but just so you all are aware too, the change to HDR was intended to aid in some overly-saturated assets found throughout the game but it had some unintended consequences. We’re continuing to evaluate the changes that were made in today’s patch, and will keep everyone updated on the status.

I actually really like it. It makes the game seem more realistic and certain effects like fire appear a lot more life like. It took a few hours to get used to but it is an improvement imo

Solution for both of us; They can revert to the pre-patch HDR for me and you can simply turn off HDR on your console. Then you get what you want and I get eye-popping color.

I’m still getting really rich colours, it’s just now the parts of the game that you would excpect to be bold and deep (fire, shock, oceans, sunsets) are actually that and the parts that you wouldn’t expect to be so bold and deep (houses, castles,paths) are subtle.
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't just have this pushed to the second page. Now, can we?

How's about an update @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Is this a priority fix, or something to be looked at next patch?

I honestly don't see myself continuing to play the game with it looking this way.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this on the other thread - this explanation (of fixing a few saturated assets) still doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me (I understand you're just passing the info along so not an attack on the messenger) because the HDR slider in the game doesn't even do anything anymore. It's like the entire HDR system has been disabled and replaced with an incorrect color profile. This seems like a rather extreme solution for some random overly-saturated assets that should just be corrected individually. . . especially when i didn't hear any complaints before.

The game looks bad now. I get that some of us may be used to overly-saturated and some elements may look better from a "less is more" approach, but there are things in the game that just look bad.

Example, the red orbs on my ebon set look like crummy darkened desaturated glitches now, not glowing red orbs. They are so dim and washed out that it seems unnatural they are even casting light.

I tried turning up the color on my TV but that is a poor solution because my other games and media look fine, as do my skill icons but cranking up the sat makes them look terrible.

Just disappointing. I bought a 4K HDR TV and a PS4 Pro mainly to get the most out of this game, and was super happy with the results and now that is all out the window.

I reject this explanation because as stated above, how does this even get released? It's painfully noticeable to anyone with an HDR setup; I can't imagine you are releasing game updates without testing such functionality. Surely someone noticed.
  • crjs1
    crjs1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t we have a middle ground or functional sliders? Previously HDR looked far too ‘cartoonish’, overly dark with ridiculous IMO bright reds and blues. But now it too grey... I wish we could adjust colours ourself, the existing HDR slider seemed to do very little if anything.

If forced though I would go with new more realistic colours rather than cartoonish ones pre patch.
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m shocked that ZOS broke something after a patch and then claims working as intended. Really out of their nature to do something like this.

• idrankyourbeer
    idrankyourbeer
    ✭✭✭
    kinda unrelated to but how can i get HDR to work on my pc on windows 8.1? im runninf it to a sony x930e 4k tv over hdmi 2.0a from my gpu and i cant find any options in game for hdr? resident evil 7 works fine with it once i enable it through the in game options, and thats the only other hdr supported game i have for pc.

is the hdr in ESO restricted to windows 10 or what? i have no problems getting hdr to work with my ps4 and xbox one x either. i guess it must be restricted to windows 10 somehow? i have windows 10 on a seperate partition but i dont really care to do all the updates and then download the game all over again (i bought it over steam. i cant just run the game from the launcher in both operating systems it makes me download the whole thing again i believe. but thats also an issue ive been having)

but yeah i guess tldr; is hdr on pc restricted to windows 10? or is there a setting in a file somewhere i can change to enable it? i looked in the video settings in game but i didnt really see much. perhaps i just wasnt looking hard enough.
    Edited by idrankyourbeer on August 29, 2018 11:56PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez...no need to come back and check out the update. So much is broke or not working as intended and not fixed.

I mean...nothing against Gina forgetting the note but moreso on the decision to remove HDR over a year (2) after so many reports saying it was done wrong and messed up initially on PS4 and later Xbox one s/x

@ZOS_GinaBruno it’s always been over saturated just curious why years later it’s just being addressed?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on August 30, 2018 12:59AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • GDOFWR420
    GDOFWR420
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I want my oversaturation back, game looks dull, it's not the tamriel I want to live in. I want my world filled with lots of bold colors, please for the love of nirn change it back.

Never needed fixing in the first place :(:(
    Edited by GDOFWR420 on August 30, 2018 1:14AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GDOFWR420 wrote: »
    Well I want my oversaturation back, game looks dull, it's not the tamriel I want to live in. I want my world filled with lots of bold colors, please for the love of nirn change it back.

It’s actually done wrong so hopefully this means they are actually going to redo it all, the correct way and you’ll love it done right @GDOFWR420
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • DreadKnight
    DreadKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Great - so is it going to be patched on console? or do we have to wait 3 months? Just like to know so I can save 3 months subscription if the later is the case.
  • GDOFWR420
    GDOFWR420
    ✭✭✭✭
    GDOFWR420 wrote: »

It’s actually done wrong so hopefully this means they are actually going to redo it all, the correct way and you’ll love it done right @GDOFWR420

I hope so, it's just dull and without vibrance, to me.
  • idrankyourbeer
    idrankyourbeer
    ✭✭✭
    windows 8.1 user rocking an x930e checking in here. i want my HDR.

i guess ill have to stick with the heroic reshade for now but come on guys. some people want their MTV. i want my HDR.
    Edited by idrankyourbeer on August 30, 2018 5:10AM
  • built2last1967
    built2last1967
    Soul Shriven

I am going to chime in as well. The patch has made the look awful. My game on Xbox One X and a 4K TV was phenomenal.

I am going to chime in as well. My game on my Xbox One X with a 4K/HDR10 support was phenomenal. I bought both for ESO once ESO made the switch to 4K enhanced. It really is jaw breaking. Now the color looks horrible. It is completely washed out. My TV says HDR is working when I log into ESO, but it is not. If this is not seriously looked at, my time with ESO will end as well as my ESO plus. I can't even play right now, because I know it looks so much better. There are tons of other games with Xbox One enhanced that look amazing. Much better than this washed out mess. I have been playing for years and would love to get to 780CP... I am getting close. But sadly, will put it aside if ZOS does not consider our complaints.
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

So, what's going on with this? We would love an update. I will tag you and bump this post every freaking day until this is resolved.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

So, what's going on with this? We would love an update. I will tag you and bump this post every freaking day until this is resolved.

Id be happy just to see it up as an official sticky that I can check for updates rather than in player created threads.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m still getting really rich colours, it’s just now the parts of the game that you would excpect to be bold and deep (fire, shock, oceans, sunsets) are actually that and the parts that you wouldn’t expect to be so bold and deep (houses, castles,paths) are subtle.
    I don't believe you understand what HDR is, or that you actually have it enabled.

What I believe you're doing is adjusting the color/contrast on your TV, which can change the appearance to present "rich colors", but HDR is more than just colors. It's a technology, and it changes colors because it uses this technology without us having to change settings on a TV.

For example, HDR makes this game gorgeous when the sun goes down. This isn't an understatement and it's really difficult to explain to those who don't have HDR even if they have great colors.

Lighting alone is vastly different. The spatial area around a lamp is completely different than it is around a campfire. Not realistic, but pretty close, including the "haze" around the brightest point of the light source.

This then translates into the colors affected by the light, and no amount of TV settings without HDR can make this look good. My character wears a dark green outfit, but standing next to a strong light changes its color. As I walk away, I can see the color change.

HDR allows this. Without it, you don't see this. As I said, hard to explain and doing side-by-side comparison photos also don't do it justice.

I will say this: without HDR, Clockwork City is ugly at night. That nasty "fog" washes out the crystalline effects of the entire area, and the lighting of buildings looks like someone used the same colors from the sauce of a Big Mac.

But with HDR, the fog is gone and the colors of the lights look naturally amber, a color nearly impossible to represent as a matte and light at the same time, and the landscape sparkles from the shimmering coating the fake animals and plants have.

This is why most of us who had HDR are upset with its unscheduled removal.

Once you go HDR, everything else is... ugly.

• RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    windows 8.1 user rocking an x930e checking in here. i want my HDR.

i guess ill have to stick with the heroic reshade for now but come on guys. some people want their MTV. i want my HDR.

ESO NEVER had HDR support on PC,
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kinda unrelated to but how can i get HDR to work on my pc on windows 8.1? im runninf it to a sony x930e 4k tv over hdmi 2.0a from my gpu and i cant find any options in game for hdr? resident evil 7 works fine with it once i enable it through the in game options, and thats the only other hdr supported game i have for pc.

is the hdr in ESO restricted to windows 10 or what? i have no problems getting hdr to work with my ps4 and xbox one x either. i guess it must be restricted to windows 10 somehow? i have windows 10 on a seperate partition but i dont really care to do all the updates and then download the game all over again (i bought it over steam. i cant just run the game from the launcher in both operating systems it makes me download the whole thing again i believe. but thats also an issue ive been having)

but yeah i guess tldr; is hdr on pc restricted to windows 10? or is there a setting in a file somewhere i can change to enable it? i looked in the video settings in game but i didnt really see much. perhaps i just wasnt looking hard enough.

Eso does not support HDR on PC, even if it was supporting , the "implementation" of HDR is horrible , its just oversaturated colors that have nothing to do with real HDR
  • ForMalacath
    ForMalacath
    ✭✭✭
    WIth a such a vibrant looking world I always considered this my favourite looking game with HDR on Xbox X. Looks depressing as hell post patch though, no way this was intentional

I've just disabled HDR on my tv for now when playing

Hopefully gets a hotfix ASAP!

In Malacath we trust

XB1 EU
  • BlackNSilverWay
    BlackNSilverWay
    Soul Shriven
    Yes I am experiencing the same issue as well. I have a Samsung KU7000 (Discontinued series) that has HDR and allows HDR10. Of course I'm playing on an Xbox One X and ESO was great in color and graphics for months (Started playing back in June). But I'm telling you, ever since that update wolfhunter the HDR looks absolutely horrible. Colors are saturated and just looks plain awful. I sure hope they fix this. I have pictures of what it looked like before the update and I can a picture post-update if anyone needs verification. Hopefully this is fixed asap.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    For example, HDR makes this game gorgeous when the sun goes down. This isn't an understatement and it's really difficult to explain to those who don't have HDR even if they have great colors.

Agreed. These are adjusted for display on non-HDR screens but they are pre-update screenshots and they're beautiful.

esohdr1.jpg
    esohdr2.jpg

Here's a quick example of a before and after:

esoat-b.jpg
    esoat-a.jpg

I invested in HDR primarily for this game and now it feels like ZOS just nerfed my TV. I'd like my colors back please, or at least a functioning slider so I can have a little control over how HDR looks and try and get the vibrancy back to pre-update levels.
    PS4NA
  • madchuska83
    madchuska83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

ETA on a fix? [snip]

[Edit for bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on August 31, 2018 1:24AM
  • ecconova
    ecconova
    ✭✭✭
    Some update information would be nice.
  • JahneeO
    JahneeO
    ✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »

Here's a quick example of a before and after:

esoat-b.jpg
    esoat-a.jpg

I'd like to see this comparison at the same time of day. Top picture is either sunup or sundown and the character is standing in the shade. Bottom picture looks to be high noon and the character is in direct sunlight. This could be a perfect example of HDR working as intended.