The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Single Skill Respec Costs The Same As A Full Respec

• DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was exciting to hear about the new respec system, now it's just a disappointment.
    Maybe it will make life easier for rich high-end PvPers, but it's definitely not something that will make respeccing better for the majority.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, then I got the ESO on my hard drive...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gitch2 wrote: »
    Ok
    idk wrote: »
    2 words: crown store. The Cost increase forces the in game poor to the crown store that's if they can afford the crowns for the skill respecification scroll(unless they farm the gold in game). It's the same with the craft bag, it snags monthly memberships. People Playing the game and not spending any rl money is a bad business model.

I didn’t see a cost increase. Just a QoL that means we don’t have to click 300 times to do a respec.

I was referring to cost for the skill respec being peanuts not long ago. It recently increased.

You mean when it was 1g per skill point for Summerset's launch? Yeah, that was temporary.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok
    2 words: crown store. The Cost increase forces the in game poor to the crown store that's if they can afford the crowns for the skill respecification scroll(unless they farm the gold in game). It's the same with the craft bag, it snags monthly memberships. People Playing the game and not spending any rl money is a bad business model.

I didn’t see a cost increase. Just a QoL that means we don’t have to click 300 times to do a respec.

I was referring to cost for the skill respec being peanuts not long ago. It recently increased.

The cost of skill respecs always decreases significantly when a new update changes class/weapon skills in a significant way, or when a new skill line is introduced (a la Summerset). The “price increase” you’re referring to is the regular price for skill respecs.

• Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm just annoyed that it's tied to the number of points you have. Make it a fixed amount like CP respec.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

It should not cost a full respec amount to change a few skill lines/points.

Computers have the ability to add things up.
    Calculating a total based on the number of skill points changed/redeemed should be easy

Edited by Katahdin on August 13, 2018 8:49PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • gitch2
    gitch2
    Soul Shriven
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Ok

The cost of skill respecs always decreases significantly when a new update changes class/weapon skills in a significant way, or when a new skill line is introduced (a la Summerset). The “price increase” you’re referring to is the regular price for skill respecs.

Thank you for the clarification.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    That is beyond stupid.

Calculating a total based on the number of skill points changed/redeemed should be rasy

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, they meant to do this. It was always about making respecs more convenient, not about making them cheaper.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

Calculating a total based on the number of skill points changed/redeemed should be rasy

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, they meant to do this. It was always about making respecs more convenient, not about making them cheaper.

Which we will go out and say, this sucks
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this is some bs.

I was happy about this change because I play only 1 character and with revamped respec system I could save a lot of gold. But then I saw how it works in game...

Why I'm forced to pay full price for reset morphs from all abilities, when I'm changing only one? It makes no sense. And it's painful especially for those who play one character and done a lot of achievements on them (my main character have about 380 skill points)

@ZOS_GinaBruno Please adjust the prices on respec depending on how many abilities I'm changing. Because QoL update that everyone was waiting for, turned in massive disappointment.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gitch2

After a major skill overhaul, like we got with Summerset, skill respecs are offered for a very low gold cost for a week or two after the content teleases. This is a limited time thing.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not using the “QoL” change when it would cost a fraction to just refund morphs instead.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    That is beyond stupid.

Because having to respec every skill, without being able to pick individual ones is vastly superior.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

Because having to respec every skill, without being able to pick individual ones is vastly superior.

but you would think that with a single skill respect system that they would atleast make the gold scale to how much you are respecing
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

Correct. It was known that the price to respec would remain the same. Now you can respec JUST the skills you want and not EVERYTHING. I can finally remove all the research passives for my crafter now that he no longer needs them without worrying about messing up his other skills. I welcome the new change.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

but you would think that with a single skill respect system that they would atleast make the gold scale to how much you are respecing

No. I wouldn't.

I would, if the game was designed differently. But, in this case, this was only a QoL change for players executing a respec. It's not about wanting to swap one skill point.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

No. I wouldn't.

I would, if the game was designed differently. But, in this case, this was only a QoL change for players executing a respec. It's not about wanting to swap one skill point.

unfortunate
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

I want to re-spec 6 skills points out of 2 Hireling Passive.

Pre Wolfhunter
    Cost: 10,100 gold (for me, your cost may vary)
    Result: All my skill points are refunded, so that I have to put each one back where it belongs including a bunch of ones I didn't want to change. But I get my 6 skill points out of the Hireling Passives I don't want!

Post Wolfhunter
    Cost: 10,100 gold
    Result: I get those 6 skill points out of the Hireling Passives. No fuss. No need to reset ALL of my skill points.

Cost is the same as before, its just more convenient.

All of you people going "I just wanna change one or two skills!" Yeah, well, you were only ever changing one or two skills before that and the game charged you full price + made you fuss with ALL your skill points.

It costs you the same amount as before Wolfhunter to change a couple of skills. Its just a LOT more convenient.

Now, sure, that's not what you wanted. Many of you seem to want an itemized "Charge me per skill changed, please!" type system. Which would be cool if that's what ZOS chose to do, honestly. But its not how they advertised this change. Its not how the change skills or change morphs has ever worked. Its probably never going to work the way you want it to or else that would devalue the Crown Respec Scrolls.

The old respec system didn't scale to the amount of skills you respecced. The new respec system doesn't either. Its just a lot more convenient.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 13, 2018 9:15PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

Scenario 1: I want to re-spec 6 skills points out of 2 Hireling Passive.

Pre Wolfhunter
    Result: All my skill points are refunded, so that I have to put each one back where it belongs including a bunch of ones I didn't want to change. But I get my 6 skill points out of the Hireling Passives I don't want!

Post Wolfhunter
    Result: I get those 6 skill points out of the Hireling Passives. No fuss. No need to reset ALL of my skill points.

All of you people going "I just wanna change one or two skills!" Yeah, well, you were only ever changing one or two skills before that and the game charged you full price + made you fuss with ALL your skill points.

It costs you the same amount as before Wolfhunter to change a couple of skills. Its just a LOT more convenient.

Now, sure, that's not what you wanted. Many of you seem to want an itemized "Charge me per skill changed, please!" type system. Which would be cool if that's what ZOS chose to do, honestly. But its not how they advertised this change. Its not how the change skills or change morphs has ever worked. Its probably never going to work the way you want it to or else that would devalue the Crown Respec Scrolls.

The old respec system didn't scale to the amount of skills you respecced. The new respec system doesn't either. Its just a lot more convenient.

it shouldn't cost you 20k to reset one skill
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

Pre Wolfhunter

Post Wolfhunter

That's exactly what the Respec System did before Wolfhunter! Whether I wanted to change 1 skill or 100, the price was the same. It would cost me 10,100 to change skills.

Before or after Wolfhunter, the cost of changing skills, whether 1 or 100, is the same. Its just loads, LOADS more convenient.

You may not like it, but that's how the system works. Its one thing to ask ZOS to develop an entirely new "charge for each skill" system, but I do not understand why people are complaining about this change when it works exactly the same way as the old system. This shouldn't have come as a surprise.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 13, 2018 9:18PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

Pre Wolfhunter

Post Wolfhunter

That's exactly what the Respec System did before Wolfhunter! Whether I wanted to change 1 skill or 100, the price was the same. It would cost me 10,100 to change skills.

Before or after Wolfhunter, the cost of changing skills, whether 1 or 100, is the same. Its just loads, LOADS more convenient.

You may not like it, but that's how the system works. Its one thing to ask ZOS to develop an entirely new "charge for each skill" system, but I do not understand why people are complaining about this change when it works exactly the same way as the old system. This shouldn't have come as a surprise.

its true that the old system was bad when you just wanted to change a new skill, but it would have been amazing if they went the extra mile to let us scale gold per skill we would change. Its a pain in the ass to have multiple playstyles such as pvp into pve and have to pay 20k just to reset a few skills
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

Pre Wolfhunter

Post Wolfhunter

It shouldn't cost you 20k to respec. The theoretical limit is around 406 now, which would be just over 20k to respec, but if you have that many skill points, you can afford to throw some around. Except, that's not what's happening, you're actually talking about throwing less than 10k at the system to respec a point. If you're talking about a morph, there's already a cheaper way to do that already.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There have always been two issues with respec system: cost and inability to reset single skills. This patch resolves only the latter while the cost issue is still there. It means that the new system is still impractical in most cases. E.g. let's have a look at force shock. In PvE most DDs use force pulse but sometimes it is either necessary or highly desirable to use crushing shock for interruption purposes. The new system does nothing in this regard since, if you want to help your group as an interrupter, you can either pay the full price to change one morph (respec 2.0.) or reset all the morphs which is cheaper but inconvenient (the old system). So... the question: "who will be our interrupter today?" will still get no response.

Personally I see no reason why respec system in this game has to be such a gold sink and why it punishes players wanting to test builds or to adjust playstyle to the content they play.

Respec 2.0. is a good change but incomplete.
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    While it certainly would be better if each skill changed cost a base amount rather then paying for a complete respec just to move a couple of skills this is still a huge improvement in functionality, time savings and convenience without any added cost over the old system. While I hope it gets better I'm happy for the change.
    Edited by jluchau on August 13, 2018 9:32PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beyond stupid.

No. I wouldn't.

unfortunate

The point is, there's two ways to use a respec system:

You can use it to change your build to engage in a different playstyle or rework your character. This is the intended use in ESO.

You can change your build to change the kind of content you're doing. For example, respeccing to move from PvE to PvP. This is probably, how most players who are reacting to this poorly were hoping to use the system. This is not intended in ESO, because the design objective is for you to be able to take the same character build out of PvE and into PvP seamlessly. Now, that's not really possible at present (at the very least you need to change gear, and swap some skills around), but that is the goal, so it makes sense that this change to the respec system was done with the idea that you'd be using this occasionally to rework a character, rather than on a regular basis as you rotated between different kinds of content.

So, no, I wouldn't. At least, not in ESO.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Wait... seriously? Well, that is a kick to the face. Especially for a high skill point character. Was looking forward to this system, but if it is expensive, forget it. Won’t be usin it.

So, you'll never respec again? Cool.

The point of this system wasn't to provide a cheap way to refund skill points spent, it was to make life easier when you wanted to move one or two skill points around. Before Wolfhunter, that would have meant spending the other 200 skill points again, and hope that you didn't forget anything. Post Wolfhunter, you can still do that, without running into a situation where you forgot to re-purchase your bow passives, and then spent those available skill points somewhere else before you discovered your mistake.

Not what I said.

Also, it doesn’t really make it easier if the gold cost to change one point is the same as it costs for a full respec. Not all of us are made of money, especially newer players, those who play more ocassionally, or those who do not have a trading guild and don’t game markets. This new system is basically unusuable for all those people, which is not what I anticipated.

Granted, I shouldn’t be surprised at this point. Zeni did the same damn thing to the outfit system.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    That is beyond stupid.

Correct. It was known that the price to respec would remain the same. Now you can respec JUST the skills you want and not EVERYTHING. I can finally remove all the research passives for my crafter now that he no longer needs them without worrying about messing up his other skills. I welcome the new change.

Agreed. This is perfect for just this thing. I have finished researching jewelry but I never re-spec'd to gain the points because it is a pain to try to ensure I got every single passive skill spent I needed. When I did a full respec before when I finished the to other research, I realized later I had overlooked some passives. This is much more convenient.

I believe they kept the cost the same as they still want people to make decisions on skill point allocations and not change them up frequently.

And for those citing the crown store as a reason, I am not sure I agree. Respec's actually used to cost more and the price existed back when there was a required subscription and no crown store existed.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait... seriously? Well, that is a kick to the face. Especially for a high skill point character. Was looking forward to this system, but if it is expensive, forget it. Won’t be usin it.

So, you'll never respec again? Cool.

The point of this system wasn't to provide a cheap way to refund skill points spent, it was to make life easier when you wanted to move one or two skill points around. Before Wolfhunter, that would have meant spending the other 200 skill points again, and hope that you didn't forget anything. Post Wolfhunter, you can still do that, without running into a situation where you forgot to re-purchase your bow passives, and then spent those available skill points somewhere else before you discovered your mistake.

Not what I said.

Also, it doesn’t really make it easier if the gold cost to change one point is the same as it costs for a full respec. Not all of us are made of money, especially newer players, those who play more ocassionally, or those who do not have a trading guild and don’t game markets. This new system is basically unusuable for all those people, which is not what I anticipated.

Granted, I shouldn’t be surprised at this point. Zeni did the same damn thing to the outfit system.

It is easier. It is the very definition of easier. Fewer buttons to push is easier.

It is not unusable. It is the same cost as before, just now with fewer buttons to push.

I think what you are looking to say is, 'it is not what I hoped for.' Fine. But this has been known for quite some time now.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

Pre Wolfhunter

Post Wolfhunter

This shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Particularly for any prolific poster regarding a change documented on the accessible-to-all PTS subforum.
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    Let me break it down.

Pre Wolfhunter

Post Wolfhunter

This shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Particularly for any prolific poster regarding a change documented on the accessible-to-all PTS subforum.

couldn't agree more... this information has been in the PTS to be tested and during testing was the time to complain and request change. Being surprised on launch morning and then complaining seems less than helpful.
    Edited by jluchau on August 13, 2018 9:58PM
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why this is shocking to me.

This is exactly the same thing they did with Appearance Change, where the tiniest little tweak that you want to make to a character that was created in a dungeon with bad lighting (or in the first week of pre-release, when you couldn't even zoom in during character creation) costs just as much changing every possible thing.

I mean,

10035488.jpg

I'm sorry, defenders of this practice, but It's appalling. It's not even kind of okay. Why I keep giving ZOS the benefit of the doubt I just do not know.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on August 13, 2018 10:19PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle