Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

current mechanics of taunting

yurimodin
yurimodin
✭✭✭
I am starting up a tank(he is not 50 yet) but I was running my main healer with a guy last night who is new to ESO but tanked in other games. Anyway he was not aware of the over-taunt mechanic. I told him what I knew but I wanted to double check with ppl in the know for myself and next time I see him. Anyway what are the current over-taunt mechanics?
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A single person cannot over taunt, over taunting only happens if a second person taunts the target that you have already taunted and you or a third party tries to taunt the target again too early.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A single person cannot over taunt, over taunting only happens if a second person taunts the target that you have already taunted and you or a third party tries to taunt the target again too early.

It's a 15 second window on when "too early" is counted, from what I've heard in-game. That true?
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »

It's a 15 second window on when "too early" is counted, from what I've heard in-game. That true?

There is a rumor, that if you taunt 3 times within 15 seconds, the mob locks onto the last taunt. But if you are the only one taunting, that is what you want. The mob to be locked on the tank.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tank Taunts
    Idiot with an Ice Staff taunts off.
    Tank tries to get aggro back.
    Idiot gets REKT.
    Boss goes rampant for 10-15 seconds while tank is spamming taunt to try to reestablish aggro.
    If your group isn't dead at this point, yay.
    If they are, repeat steps 1-5 until rage quit.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on August 8, 2018 10:39PM
    Argonian forever
  • DoobZ69
    DoobZ69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tank Taunts
    Idiot gets REKT.
    Boss goes rampant for 10-15 seconds while tank is spamming taunt to try to reestablish aggro.

True story. Happened to me only once but it has.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank Taunts
    Idiot gets REKT.

Most of the ice staff users listen when I tell them "hey, that's a taunt." Most of them are newer players who are happy to not have boss aggro now that they know.

For everyone else, "You taunt it, you tank it."
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tank Taunts
    Idiot gets REKT.

Most of the ice staff users listen when I tell them "hey, that's a taunt." Most of them are newer players who are happy to not have boss aggro now that they know.

For everyone else, "You taunt it, you tank it."

And for every one that listens, there another 5 that don't or have some hackneyed excuse like "Oh, I didn't mean to heavy attack with it". At this point, I tell them once. If they continue, I just drop group entirely.

Call me petty but if you can't be bothered to listen, I can't be bothered to tank for you.
    Argonian forever
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    GreenHere wrote: »

There is a rumor, that if you taunt 3 times within 15 seconds, the mob locks onto the last taunt. But if you are the only one taunting, that is what you want. The mob to be locked on the tank.
    Three different taunts in 15 seconds and the boss loses aggro, ignoring taunt until immunity wears off. (which is most definitely not what you want.)

This means if Tank A has taunt, Tank B takes taunt, and Tank A takes taunt back too quickly, then nobody will have taunt and the group will proceed to get rekt.

OP, you should only have to worry about this in multiple tank scenarios (which will usually be trials). If it's just you, taunt away (though you don't need to refresh is until it's close to running out.)

(I think 6 seconds is the magic number, but waiting a little longer is usually the safer route, in case there are server delays or desyncs.)

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on August 9, 2018 11:11AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can happen with ice staff and to much crit damage, if i lose taunt on boss from them i laugh and say guess who is going to die ;p, first and last rule is always let tank go in first and never use heavy attack on an ice staff
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This pretty much.

If there are two tanks and they need to swap a second taunt by the same tank should not occur until 2 seconds remain on the first taunt. If the first tanks second taunt occurred earlier then the boss would gain immunity when the second tank taunted.

This is only an issue if the first tank needs to taunt back in a short period of time since immunity merly means the boss will not respond to a taunt from another tank for a short duration.

Of course this also happens when a dps does a heavy attack with an ice staff but that pretty much only happens with new players leveling up a character.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This pretty much.

If there are two tanks and they need to swap a second taunt by the same tank should not occur until 2 seconds remain on the first taunt. If the first tanks second taunt occurred earlier then the boss would gain immunity when the second tank taunted.

This is only an issue if the first tank needs to taunt back in a short period of time since immunity merly means the boss will not respond to a taunt from another tank for a short duration.

Of course this also happens when a dps does a heavy attack with an ice staff but that pretty much only happens with new players leveling up a character.

This is correct.

A taunt on a target (taunt #3) will grant the target Taunt Immunity if the previous two taunts (taunts #1 and #2) are less than 12 seconds apart (taunts are 15s, so retaunt with 3s or less remaining; 2s if you want to play it safe) and at least one of the two previous taunts was done by a different player. The taunt that triggers the immunity (taunt #3) will be successful, but the next taunt (taunt #4) will be ignored until the immunity wears off in 12s. The timing between the second and third taunt is unimportant.

The only place this is really an issue is with swapping the Hulk on Rakkhat. The OT gets an initial taunt (#1), refreshes the taunt (#2), the MT taunts the Hulk away (#3), and then the OT takes the Hulk back from the MT (#4). If the OT's refresh taunt (#2) happens too soon after the initial taunt (#1), then the MT's taunt (#3) will trigger immunity and the OT will have problems getting the Hulk back from the MT.

No other content requires the kind of rapid taunt swapping that's needed on Rakkhat, so Taunt Immunity is really a non-issue. For example, on the Twins in vMoL, when the tanks swap bosses, it's quite likely that they'll get Immunity. But that's okay, because all that means is that you won't be able to refresh your taunt until the Immunity wears off (the Immunity lasts for only 12s, so you'll still have taunt by the time it wears off). It's only when the other tank needs to take the target back after you had just taken it that Immunity is really an issue, and, again, that only happens on Rakkhat.
    Edited by code65536 on August 9, 2018 12:07PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As explained it is only a issue with more than one people taunting more than two times in 15 secs.

Earlier you could overtaunt by youself, but that was a long time ago.
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sdtlc wrote: »
    As explained it is only a issue with more than one people taunting more than two times in 15 secs.

Earlier you could overtaunt by youself, but that was a long time ago.

"Two taunts in 15s" is an oft-heard legend that, while kinda close to the truth, is incorrect.

It is "three taunts by two people in which the first two taunts are <12s apart".

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to http://esoacademy.com/taunts-and-taunting/

"Over-Taunting is a thing! In ESO Live 18 the developers stated that if multiple players try to Taunt the enemy more than 3 times in 12 seconds the enemy will become immune to Taunts. This only works when multiple players taunt the enemy several times so you can no longer over-Taunt by yourself with only one player applying Taunts."
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PC users, there are a couple add-ons to choose from. Taunt Check is what I use, but I see another one called Untaunted that looks very interesting also.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Over-Taunting is a thing! In ESO Live 18 the developers stated that if multiple players try to Taunt the enemy more than 3 times in 12 seconds the enemy will become immune to Taunts. This only works when multiple players taunt the enemy several times so you can no longer over-Taunt by yourself with only one player applying Taunts."

@VaranisArano While close, that too is incorrect. You can test this pretty easily. Have someone taunt a target dummy. Retaunt it 10s later. And then have another person taunt it another 10s later. Taunt immunity will apply. That's 3 taunts by 2 people in 20s.

The time between the second and third taunt is irrelevant (unless of course it's >15s, in which case the second taunt has worn off and the target is untaunted). You could have the third taunt come 1s after the second taunt or 14s after the second taunt, and it won't matter--only the time between the first two taunts determine whether or not that third taunt will apply immunity.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

@VaranisArano While close, that too is incorrect. You can test this pretty easily. Have someone taunt a target dummy. Retaunt it 10s later. And then have another person taunt it another 10s later. Taunt immunity will apply. That's 3 taunts by 2 people in 20s.

The time between the second and third taunt is irrelevant (unless of course it's >15s, in which case the second taunt has worn off and the target is untaunted). You could have the third taunt come 1s after the second taunt or 14s after the second taunt, and it won't matter--only the time between the first two taunts determine whether or not that third taunt will apply immunity.

That matches how I've seen it, where I taunt, then the DPS with an ice staf taunts and pulls aggro, and if I taunt at all in the next 12 seconds or whatever, the boss is taunt immune and doesn't pay any attention to me until that time period is up (assuming the DPS with an ice staff doesn't retaunt).

I posted that because it had a source, not because I was convinced it was up-to-date.