The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Punishement for traitors?

• heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    SPY MUST DIE
  • D0RID0RI240
    D0RID0RI240
    ✭✭✭✭
    The amount of threads on this is wildly disproportionate to the actual level of faction "spying". Do people swap to AP boost? Yep, it's as old as the game. Is it right? No, but ZOS has shown that they are not inclined to do much about it outside of some well publicized incidents such as the Bleakers thing and the Bloodmayne(?) resource farm. If I log onto a ton where the map is almost entirely my toons alliance, I am going to switch factions because I play in Cyrodiil to pvp, and not pvdoor or run around with 50 other members of my faction overwelming keeps. Thats my choice, but then again since one Tamriel the illusion of faction choice has been just that - an illusion. If you want faction loyalty, make your guild one faction, do not play with people outside it, or whatever. These threads have become the voter fraud of ESO. A bunch of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over something that happens such a disproportionately tiny amount of the time in relation to overall game time experiences. Cyro has a lot of issues, such has been brought up before like the vast unused/untraveled portions of cyrodiil outside of the emp ring (When was the last time you went to Cheydinhal or one of the wineries?). This is also to say nothing about the performance issues and population unbalanced prevalent across all 4 campaigns.
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "I want to switch factions on a whim so I can play with my friends on another faction" argument may as well be a signed confession. Please *Scoffs* Why aren't you already with them to begin with if they are really your friends and you play with them regularly? No, the truth is some people want to continue exploiting the loopholes and post seemingly rational excuses on the forum for why they wouldn't want a campaign faction lock.

For those saying "Oh well it's normal to have traitors in a war, that happens in real life too." Yes, yes it does. The difference is in real life, there are justice systems in place to deal with them; not in game. Tea b*gging only lets the other person know you consider them a challenge, and in a way, is nothing more than a backhanded compliment.

Will there still be spies and external methods of passing information, yes, but as some have already mentioned, the problem is the exploitation of the situation, not the situation itself. One Tamriel sort of makes sense (Don't even get me started on that!) for PvE, but for PvP, no. Just...no. Pick an alliance and stick to it. Your friends are in another alliance? Oh, well, that's too bad. You should've thought about that before you locked yourself into a faction locked campaign, and you can join them for the next one once this one ends.

It's not as difficult as people are making it look. Soldiers in real life can't just leave the military, go join the enemy for a while and then come back home to fight again as if nothing happened. Treason is treason and a traitor is a traitor no matter what their motives are.

"Oh no no no....I just went to fight with the terrorists because my friend Haleem fights with them, but he blew himself up on our last mission so I am back to fight with you guys" -__- no.

Perhaps we have several friends over all alliances that only play at select hours of the day because different time zones and hours they have free to play? (world being round and all.) Perhaps the alliance we have chosen can be getting run over one second only to be pvdooring a couple of hours later? Perhaps we decided long ago that the very thing we have decided to play to relax isn't worth stressing ourselves over for something as minuscule as a virtual leader board?

Spies existed even when campaign lock was a thing. If someone is so desperate that they will put all of their time and effort into where the enemy is going and how many, you should not blow your head off over them. You should instead pity the sad little things at how they choose to spend their free time each night.
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care about spies, but for an "Alliance War" there's very little in place to make the Alliances feel like they are one. Factions full of opportunists and part-time allies with very little in the way of incentive for winning campaigns isn't cutting it.
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a nonexistent issue when there is a four page discussion about it on the forum along with several posts. It negates the entire spirit of the experience.

"Where is EP?"

"We were loosing so now they are all on AD or DC."

"OH GDI!"

"They only bleed red when we are winning."
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh i don’t know a single thing about the alliances other than their colors so why should i care? I went from AD to EP mid campaign as they didn’t have the pop to do much (sotha NA)

Should i of just stuck with AD and helped pvdoor? Seems rather pointless to me
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    Players like the one the OP described in every game ever that has PvP. They're like roaches.
  • Vrenk
    Vrenk
    ✭✭✭
    player N being Nyux i assume? XD

- Make goblins a playable race
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrenk wrote: »
    player N being Nyux i assume? XD

There's a reason why they used player N........
    There's a no naming policy on the forum.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hamish999 wrote: »
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Hamish999 wrote: »
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Alliance locking campaigns would go a long way in removing some of this behaviour.

As long as people can flip back and forth between different alliances, there's always going to be easy ways to grief, abuse or exploit.

I lead PvP groups for my guild once a week, we rotate factions so that everyone gets a go in Cyrodiil and Imperial City.
    We do this purely for fun and to introduce guildies to Cyrodiil and PvP as it can be very daunting to inexperienced players.
    I don't care about the alliance war, I just want to play, on any faction with my guildies and have fun.

Then have your guildmates or friends use the same alliance character for a campaign. How hard can it be.

I, too, started my pvp experience with a large guild, and you could not join in unless you were on an EP character, so yeah, that's really not a problem, and no excuse not to stick with alliance locking.

It's not guild play that's a problem here, it's a few individuals who deliberately abuse the system, like the OP write in their post above, or examples where someone is on one alliance in IC, then immediately logs onto another to gank someone who was farming stones with them etc etc.

We aren't an alliance locked guild, we are a casual guild with all 3 alliances present and some people don't have a toon of each alliance.

It is easy to resolve the multi alliance social guild 'problem' . Make one 30 day campaign the guild one for that month. Then take the other faction members to the other 7 day campaigns. This is what my guild does.

Locks do NOT prevent guesting in a different campaign. This is the reason 'i want to play with my friends' argument is bull. Anyone can guest in a diff faction campaign to be with friends for the night.

Locks just *help* prevent AP flipping, spying, rorting Emp & flip farming resources and nonsense pop lock rorts. Locks also prevents the bullying harrassment described.

Edit Personally i would allow flipping but prevent the account from earning any ap on any other faction for that campaign. Then those who 'just want to pvp' can do so. They just don't get rewarded for faction hopping. They only earn ap on the faction they started on.

It would also stop the constant trolling in zone by flippers. A particularly nasty experience for those new people playing DC NA PC off peak who think all pvpers are as unpleasant as the flippers who troll it between 6 and 9pm Au EST.
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on August 11, 2018 11:22AM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locks do NOT prevent guesting in a different campaign. This is the reason 'i want to play with my friends' argument is bull. Anyone can guest in a diff faction campaign to be with friends for the night.

Guesting won't give you End campaign rewards. Again, rip multifactioners.
    Locks just *help* prevent AP flipping, spying, rorting Emp & flip farming resources and nonsense pop lock rorts. Locks also prevents the bullying harrassment described.

1 player homes a server, other players guest on different alliance toons and die at the fd of a keep while player 1 tags someone and gets the defence tick. Nope, that didn't stop the ap farm at all.
    And as I said before, locks didn't stop this behaviour in the past. No reason why it won't stop them now.

Also, denying ap gain or eoc rewards wouldn't bother people like 'N'. They aren't there to pvp for the other side, so neither of these punishments would deter them.
    Edited by ellahellabella on August 11, 2018 1:58PM
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you joking man?

Go to Vivec and look how purple aliance working agains AD and etc etc etc. Unless they give us faction locked campagin. It's simple. If you choosed to play Ad this campagin in Vivec YOU CANT LOG IN THERE ON OTHER CHAR, only for other campagin.
  • DemonDruaga
    DemonDruaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    Account needs to be alliance bound and can only change for real life money. Thats the only way to get rid of such trolls.
    Played mmo's with server vs. server PvP for years and never ever had this toxic BS going on.
    Ardor // Dunkelsicht // Pakt
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played mmo's with server vs. server PvP for years and never ever had this toxic BS going on.

^This. The sad thing is many players behave as if it's acceptable/normal. People going out of their way to be obnoxious to others on enemy and same side for some strange reason. The toxic BS is pathetic is what it is.

Edited by Enkil on August 18, 2018 8:56PM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 account - 1 alliance
    That would be the good start.

P.S. If someone already has several alliances - they must to choose and all their characters would belong to chosen alliance
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solution for a couple of problems:

1) Double the amount of campaigns.
    2) Lower the maximum population per campaign (for my taste it is too crowded during prime time anyway).
    3) Remove guest campaigns and instead implement a system, were you can enter any campaign as if it was your guest campaign. However, for the duration of the campaign or at least a period of multiple days, make it impossible to join the same campaign with a character from a different faction.

This would reduce server lag and stop players from playing like spies/traitors, while it would still enable anyone to play with friends from multiple alliances - on different campaigns, but the increased amount would allow you to play on your preferred format (CP vs no CP).
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't care much for faction pride as it really doesn't make sense to me. I want to PvP where I have fun and can find good fights and that simply won't happen a majority of the time if I would limit myself to one faction/campaign. I have chars in all factions and whenever I want to do real PvP (not tier 1 farming) I will go to the campaign where the faction of my char has less pop than the biggest faction. Since I play on EU that means I only get to play my EP chars in BGs if I want no CP and my AD chars can only enter Shor if I want CP PvP.

I personally don't really notice things like OP described happening, as I usually only group with 1-3 friends and ignore zonechat. I can however totally imagine that stuff like this happens. Alliance locking would kind of help with situations like this, but at best be a first step. It wouldn't stop me from what I am doing either as at this point it's kind of established which faction is dominant popwise in which campaign.

The biggest factor to stop stuff like this from happening though would be if ZoS was a bit more open to punish people who grief like this. The pvp playerbase isn't so big and people who are notorious for this kind of stuff are known by the community. I am sure they would think twice if there was an actual threat of a permaban.
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I understand why "N" is so disliked and untrusted.
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    1 account - 1 alliance
    That would be the good start.

P.S. If someone already has several alliances - they must to choose and all their characters would belong to chosen alliance

Potential to single-handedly destroy cyro pvp right there.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • vane000
    vane000
    Soul Shriven
    I don't mind cross faction people, people have friends in different alliances and maybe they just want to play together in cyro. AD/DC/EP I don't care, I just love killin.
    Edited by vane000 on August 20, 2018 6:45PM
    Panda Force (previously known as Artem Deorum)
    AD - MagDK - Empress Alessía
    AD - Bomblade - Wasnt Vd you just suck
    AD - MagSorc - Archmage Alessia
    AD - StamSorc - I Give Rapids
    AD - Stamden - Watch For The Dawnbreaker
    AD - Magden - Warden Alessia
    AD - Magplar - Alessia the Dawnbreaker
    AD - Magblade - Alessia Ravenclaw

Former Vivec Emporer
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just in to say, Faction lock!

Thank you.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.