The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

10k Overload hits

• MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OL is really a niche build. The amount of tears on this thread are totally unwarranted.
  • Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, spend my last couple of months in BG every evening (Mag GK, Stam Sorc, Stam NB, MagNB), and I don't see so much overload build.

I tried it a couple of time with my pve toon Mag Sorc and it is horrible to play for all reasons mention above, I was just reckt super quickly when in overload bar.

So all this complaining is really overreacted in my opinion.

Only things you need to do with sorc at the moment is not nerfing them, jus fix the BUG of not breakable rune cage when you have stam. And I insit this is not a nerf, but a bug fix.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OL build is a niche build. Yes it gimps you in every type of straight up battle for fight against any decent player or players. The problem is that it has become the single most effective way to gank unsuspecting enemies. I have never been ganked by a nightblade (or any other class for that matter) while traveling at full mount speed in all of my countless hours spent in Cyrodiil and yet ever since the empower change, I am getting ganked when traveling between keeps at full mount speed and stamina. There is no counter. Any other skill doesn't hit hard enough or doesn't have enough range to kill or force you to dismount before you have already rode out of range of the enemy. Overload light attacks come so fast and hit so hard that you are dead in two hits. Not enough time to dismount and react or ride out of range.

Even if something is niche, if you focus your whole build around it, it can lead to that thing becoming overpowered in certain situations. I should not be able to be light attacked twice to death while at full mount speed and stamina traversing terrain because I cannot counter it.

It has now become the easiest and laziest way to gank. No need to time a burst, no need to apply a stun, just hit light attack button/trigger twice.

Yes if I can see my opponent and see them casting overload I can defend against it. There is no way to defend against it when you are unsuspectingly hit with it from stealth. At least incap I can break free from and shield up before the rest of the burst comes.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

Even if something is niche, if you focus your whole build around it, it can lead to that thing becoming overpowered in certain situations. I should not be able to be light attacked twice to death while at full mount speed and stamina traversing terrain because I cannot counter it.

Exactly this.

Overloard in a 1v1 is useless, if your being focused it's not good, but in group fights, ganking or against a player who is already engaged then it's op and very boring to play against.

While I'm fighting someone getting hit 10k in the back from a spammable ability is just bad game design, because in those types of situations the counterplay is gone, sure you can say use LOS, that doesn't really help after I have already been smacked in the back of the head by a 10k hit though.

The only other ability in the game that does the same is snipe/lethal arrow, and yes I think that's op in the same situations too, but overloard still hits harder.

Edited by Crixus8000 on July 24, 2018 3:18PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crixus8000 wrote: »

Exactly this.

Overloard in a 1v1 is useless, if your being focused it's not good, but in group fights, ganking or against a player who is already engaged then it's op and very boring to play against.

While I'm fighting someone getting hit 10k in the back from a spammable ability is just bad game design, because in those types of situations the counterplay is gone, sure you can say use LOS, that doesn't really help after I have already been smacked in the back of the head by a 10k hit though.

The only other ability in the game that does the same is snipe/lethal arrow, and yes I think that's op in the same situations too, but overloard still hits harder.

Snipe/lethal arrow is a legitimate bugged ability because when it is spammed multiple times in succession the target cannot see the telegraph until it is too late (after 1 or 2 have already hit the target). I don't even think they are comparable because overload isn't bugged it's just overtuned. Also I've been hit for 15k+ overloads while most I've been hit by snipe/lethal for is like 10k.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on July 24, 2018 3:21PM
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly this.

Snipe/lethal arrow is a legitimate bugged ability because when it is spammed multiple times in succession the target cannot see the telegraph until it is too late (after 1 or 2 have already hit the target). I don't even think they are comparable because overload isn't bugged it's just overtuned. Also I've been hit for 15k+ overloads while most I've been hit by snipe/lethal for is like 10k.

I was comparing them because they both have basically the same effect. Both bad in 1v1 but overperforming in group fights, ganking and hitting targets already engaged.

And yeah like I said snipe doesn't hit as hard as overload, but every other spammable I see like dizzy, whip, frags ect all hit around 2-4k, where snipe 90% of the time is 6-8k and then overload usually 8k minimum.

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Exactly this.

I was comparing them because they both have basically the same effect. Both bad in 1v1 but overperforming in group fights, ganking and hitting targets already engaged.

And yeah like I said snipe doesn't hit as hard as overload, but every other spammable I see like dizzy, whip, frags ect all hit around 2-4k, where snipe 90% of the time is 6-8k and then overload usually 8k minimum.

Yeah I was more or less agreeing with you and trying to speak to others in the thread who have tried to compare snipe and overload. Snipe even has a cast time lol.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Apache_Kid

What’s your solution? Make it useless in all situations compared to being useful in gank or Xv1 encounters? It’s not that Damage Ultimate options are terribly broad for a magSorc. Meteor, OL, or the odd DBoS - that’s it basically.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    @Apache_Kid

What’s your solution? Make it useless in all situations compared to being useful in gank or Xv1 encounters? It’s not that Damage Ultimate options are terribly broad for a magSorc. Meteor, OL, or the odd DBoS - that’s it basically.

My solution is make it so that empower does not affect overload. It's really that simple. The skill already offers you the added utility of an entire extra skill bar. It does not also need to be the powerful ganking skill in the game.

Sorcs get negate (which is THE MOST useful ult for group play in PvP) and they also can use meteor. I know many who use the resto ulti as well. I perfer the meteor/negate combo on my bar for PvP. I also have started seeing tons of people using the storm atronach in battlegrounds

@Feanor

Edit: dmg ulti options may be limited for magsorc but i feel like it is for many classes. they have good utility ults.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on July 24, 2018 4:00PM
  • Dashmatt
    Dashmatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Change Empower to not affect OL. That should be enough to discourage the worst of it while still making it worth using in some situations.

If Overload itself was nerfed, no one would ever use it due to how clunky and buggy (and limiting) it is. They’d really have to overhaul it entirely if it needed to be changed.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Apache_Kid

My solution is make it so that empower does not affect overload. It's really that simple. The skill already offers you the added utility of an entire extra skill bar. It does not also need to be the powerful ganking skill in the game.

Sorcs get negate (which is THE MOST useful ult for group play in PvP) and they also can use meteor. I know many who use the resto ulti as well. I perfer the meteor/negate combo on my bar for PvP. I also have started seeing tons of people using the storm atronach in PvE.

I said damage ultimates. Of course you can run non class utility ultimates. And while negate is strong it doesn’t offer a lot of benefit for a solo player.

The added utility of a 3rd bar comes at a cost: Increased clunkiness and another ultimate you could run instead. I always said Empower shouldn’t affect OL. But then you just have an overly clunky ultimate that doesn’t kill anything when used. It would be nice if they reworked it so it’s smoother, or scrap it altogether and replace it with a good class damage ultimate (lightning and physical damage morphs).

If OL gets nerfed you’re better off with running Light’s Champion again.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Apache_Kid

Sorcs get negate (which is THE MOST useful ult for group play in PvP) and they also can use meteor. I know many who use the resto ulti as well. I perfer the meteor/negate combo on my bar for PvP. I also have started seeing tons of people using the storm atronach in PvE.

I said damage ultimates. Of course you can run non class utility ultimates. And while negate is strong it doesn’t offer a lot of benefit for a solo player.

The added utility of a 3rd bar comes at a cost: Increased clunkiness and another ultimate you could run instead. I always said Empower shouldn’t affect OL. But then you just have an overly clunky ultimate that doesn’t kill anything when used. It would be nice if they reworked it so it’s smoother, or scrap it altogether and replace it with a good class damage ultimate (lightning and physical damage morphs).

If OL gets nerfed you’re better off with running Light’s Champion again.

I would actually support that Idea of scrapping it altogether and replacing it. Seems fine to me. Even if the added utility of a 3rd bar comes at a cost I cannot tell you how many times on other classes I've made painstaking decisions to take a skill off a bar in the favor of another. So many times having just the ability to have rapid maneuvers on separate bar would make my build that much better. Overload allows for that.

I've been ganked off my mount at full speed and stamina too many times since summerset with no counter-play to think that it is fine its current form. These deaths have never made me feel more helpless in ESO PvP. The only times I have felt more helpless is when I get snipe spammed and am dead before the telegraphs/sounds show up on my screen. Something needs to change with it. No one was calling for overload changes before the empower change. Empower needs to not affect it or as you said it should be scrapped for an entirely new ultimate.

@Feanor
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep we are suppose to see slow projectile fired by someone in stealth. Perhaps mdk should flap their wings periodically to cater schrodinger's sorc

No of course you shouldn’t have to keep your defenses up in a war zone.

Yea bro, dismount every 3.5 seconds to recast wings. Noob.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bg22 wrote: »
    Yep we are suppose to see slow projectile fired by someone in stealth. Perhaps mdk should flap their wings periodically to cater schrodinger's sorc

You can dodge roll off your mount. Noob.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the comment I answered that wasn’t about being mounted but about having to keep up Wings periodically. I’m also not your bro.
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://imgur.com/a/T6RD8ae

Just a normal day in Battlegrounds, eh?

I've been trying to get that combo down but am not used to the crystal frags proc. Is there a sound effect or other indication other than having to look down at the skill bar?

I'm convinced I can do a 30k combo in 2 secs I just have to get it right. Then I'll post a screenshot that'll shut up some of these apologists. ;P

When Crystal Frag's "instant" happens you should hear a sort of "bling!" sound. A type of chime, I guess.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the comment I answered that wasn’t about being mounted but about having to keep up Wings periodically. I’m also not your bro.

I'm not your buddy, pal.

Edit: I suppose I should add something about OL. Um... Wait till they run outta ult? It does take a while to build it back up in BGs
    Edited by Waffennacht on July 25, 2018 1:42AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to get that combo down but am not used to the crystal frags proc. Is there a sound effect or other indication other than having to look down at the skill bar?

I'm convinced I can do a 30k combo in 2 secs I just have to get it right. Then I'll post a screenshot that'll shut up some of these apologists. ;P

When Crystal Frag's "instant" happens you should hear a sort of "bling!" sound. A type of chime, I guess.

If it's the combo I'm thinking of, you need to NOT use frags. Use blast. It's cast time and slower travel time are needed to make it work.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

If it's the combo I'm thinking of, you need to NOT use frags. Use blast. It's cast time and slower travel time are needed to make it work.

The hack to this problem, the fact that instant frags messes with the timing of the skills landing, is to fire your OL LA 1st if you have an instant frag available.

Instead of - Light - Blast - OLLA - Rune Cage you do - Light, OLLA, Rune Cage, Instant Frag or OLLA - Instant Frag - Rune Cage, you gotta switch it up.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »

The hack to this problem, the fact that instant frags messes with the timing of the skills landing, is to fire your OL LA 1st if you have an instant frag available.

Instead of - Light - Blast - OLLA - Rune Cage you do - Light, OLLA, Rune Cage, Instant Frag or OLLA - Instant Frag - Rune Cage, you gotta switch it up.

I could never get cage to hit before the OLLA hit if you go OLLA--cage. In fact, I suspect the bit of a delay that cage has is specifically to stop OLLA/cage combo's working on opponents who are quick at breaking free.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to hire the StamWarden PR team. They brilliantly managed to fly under the radar untouched and unscathed because it’s “OMG Sorc OP” all the way.

To be fair balancing stamwarden is much simplier them magsorc especially for PvP. Just take away Shooting Spores burst heal and maker it healing over time of something else that wont be as effective as burst heal is. They'll be still fine but not brasinlesly easy.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »

I could never get cage to hit before the OLLA hit if you go OLLA--cage. In fact, I suspect the bit of a delay that cage has is specifically to stop OLLA/cage combo's working on opponents who are quick at breaking free.

So, usually what I do is two OL LA. Followed by a rune cage, usually the 1st hits, prompting the player to attempt a dodge roll, the rune cage hits, stopping them right when the 2nd OL LA smacks, and then they break free which kills them because of the Rune Cage dmg.
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elegance set: +20% dmg
    Bound Armaments: +11% dmg
    Mage light(Empower): +20% dmg

So you're looking at about a 50-60% boosted initial attack depending on how it's calculated.

edit: oh and combine with Martial for an extra +10% on the second attack.

You cant even count martial........ @MisterBigglesworth if there is someone else around you then they can also take the 10% before your supposed to be boosted attack gets the boost.

So let's just stick with the other ones

Edit: spelling
    Edited by OGLezard on July 27, 2018 2:42AM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    During last year's Midsummer event, and keep in mind this was before the Empower change, I hit someone with a 19k overload. "Welcome to Cyrodiil."

Someone hit me for 22K with overload pre-Summerset. The same player now only hits 15-16K, and their shields have "paid the price" which makes them quite manageable (before I just used resto ult).
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are sorcs doing this? I am wearing riposte with some tanky skills and my other team mates were saying they were hitting for 14k. What is going on with Overload!

As you can see from yazanas vid 10k you mention is not much, i got 20k out of it.

What you cant see is him getting 1shotted in 3 sec between 10 ppl after a min or so and that is the tradeoff. That means an OL sorc to do such high dmg with OL is kinda naked+minimal recoveries.

As long as an OL sorc is not attacking you from stealth and close range the OL projectile moves slow, you can dodge it you can BoL it you can Wing it.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    10k? Lucky. Couple days ago I got hit with 18k overload. Honestl the weakest overload that day was 12k.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play stamina Dragon knight and dodgeroll or just reflect. Boom overload suicide!
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep but the sorc is the boogey man when nightblades can do the same thing out of stealth... but guess what? Sorcs can't spam cloak and if you aren't keeping up your defenses when outside of the keep walls, you're probably going to have a bad time anyways.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe people are whining about 10K overloads when there are Nightblades running around with 20K Assassin's Will! And it's not even an ultimate!!!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE