The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do you keep doing maintenance on Tuesdays?

• AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go play eso instead of moping. You can do it right now, there's no maintenance today. Enjoy it ;)

Completely missing the purpose of the post. Read other replies before responding?
    'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
    Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I'm a bit confused as to why they require so much maintenance. I know that, at the various places I've worked over the years, if their data centres saw this much downtime there would be quite serious trouble.
  • PocketNova
    PocketNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    The PVP event finishes tonight. That's most likely why it's delayed until tomorrow night.
    PC NA
    Master Angler
    Dressed as Wonder Woman
    Living in Hogwarts
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vometia wrote: »
    I suppose I'm a bit confused as to why they require so much maintenance. I know that, at the various places I've worked over the years, if their data centres saw this much downtime there would be quite serious trouble.

Hamsters are ageing, then need more downtime than they used to :)
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the know we will be so busy eating tacos we will not even notice the server is down.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Elanymire
    Elanymire
    Lol usually its on a Tuesday for me which being from Australia means Monday in the us. To be honest it doesnt matter what day it is we still get servers going down at 5pm .... imagine all the usinians whining if it was them being inconvenienced rather than us.

Making things worse unlike pretty much every other mmorpg around zos doesnt provide an estimated time they will be back up.

• AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elanymire wrote: »
    Lol usually its on a Tuesday for me which being from Australia means Monday in the us. To be honest it doesnt matter what day it is we still get servers going down at 5pm .... imagine all the usinians whining if it was them being inconvenienced rather than us.

Making things worse unlike pretty much every other mmorpg around zos doesnt provide an estimated time they will be back up.

No, I'm in Australia as well, usually the Monday maintenance slot is Monday for us at 8pm, you can use an online converter to work out the difference. But its pathetic they don't stick with one maintenance slot instead of changing it all the time, like other games devs.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they made it Tuesday so that they're not clipping the end of the Midyear Mayhem event.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • efster
    efster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maintenance timing directly affects SEA/Oceanic raid schedules and so I'd really prefer if they'd pick a day and stick to it. Having to wait until they announce maintenance on the weekend is annoying when you need to schedule team runs around it.
    AD is the best looking faction. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    So looking at the world clock converter as confirmation, 6am edt is 8pm in Australia... I honesty do not believe that is the time that inconveniences the least amount of people. Are they saying that a large amount of americans play the game from 2am to 6am in the morning? More than americans who play from like 8pm to 1 or 2 am or Oceanics who play in prime gaming time? So essentially, they justify cutting Australians off in prime gaming time because americans play at extremely early hours in the morning. That's what it boils down to.

That aside, it wouldn't matter so much if they stuck to one day. Not sticking to ONE TIMESLOT like other devs is the main issue, which is driving me nuts because that would be the decent and moral thing to do and has caused me and my group to have to change slots 3 TIMES. As well as tell us when they're doing it instead of a couple days before with barely any notice.

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play No Man's Sky when maintenance is on..
  • TheeBradshaw
    TheeBradshaw
    Soul Shriven
    Why cant they be like Blizzard and have a set time/day every week for maintenance and resets.....
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why cant they be like Blizzard and have a set time/day every week for maintenance and resets.....

Even better: blizzard has different times for the US, Oceania and the EU. Would love to see that here.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    if USA is holiday on monday, maintenace will be tuesday instead
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »

Even better: blizzard has different times for the US, Oceania and the EU. Would love to see that here.

They used to, back when the game was new. EU servers were done at 3am Euro time. Now we all get the same convenient American times - rest of the world are 2nd-class people. :(
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Battle_Hymn
    Battle_Hymn
    ✭✭✭
    So looking at the world clock converter as confirmation, 6am edt is 8pm in Australia... I honesty do not believe that is the time that inconveniences the least amount of people. Are they saying that a large amount of americans play the game from 2am to 6am in the morning? More than americans who play from like 8pm to 1 or 2 am or Oceanics who play in prime gaming time? So essentially, they justify cutting Australians off in prime gaming time because americans play at extremely early hours in the morning. That's what it boils down to.

That aside, it wouldn't matter so much if they stuck to one day. Not sticking to ONE TIMESLOT like other devs is the main issue, which is driving me nuts because that would be the decent and moral thing to do and has caused me and my group to have to change slots 3 TIMES. As well as tell us when they're doing it instead of a couple days before with barely any notice.

Or maybe it's all about population size.Oceania current population sits at 41 million,NA sits at 363 million.So there is a fair chance that there would be more NA players playing at 02.00 than Aussies playing in their prime time.

Aussies always complain that they get the rough end of the deal but fail to realise that is not financially viable run a dedicated Aussie server.

Edited by Battle_Hymn on August 7, 2018 11:40AM
  • Dr_Rektar
    Dr_Rektar
    ✭✭✭
    Fun, but tuesday is the day when i can play ESO even at work and BAAM
    Engine guardian - best set ever
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long do these reboots usually take? I'm not typically up this early
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Hessen
    Hessen
    ✭✭
    Time to go out into the fresh air and sunshine and maybe even talk to a girl! B)
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hessen wrote: »
    Time to go out into the fresh air and sunshine and maybe even talk to a girl! B)

he typed from his PC.....

I cannot stand when people do this thing: Go outside! Find a girl! Stahp!

Married!
    Stuck indoors because we're on Holiday and it is 34 degrees Celsius and I prefer my skin on my body.

It is the height of nonsense to tell random people you do not even know what to do with themselves.

Maint was on Mondays for ages. Last week it was Wednesday. Today is it Tuesday.

Real people game around other life plans - so maybe like me, say to their partner: Hey I have raid on this day, is gaming ok then or you have other plans?

Then they maintenance at those pre-arranged with several people times.

We are not the only ones this happens to, and *go out side and meet a girl* will not help those of us who have full lives! We already have that stuff!
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, this thread just got me listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd, and I never even visited North America.
    Tuuuuuuesdays gone with the wiiiiiiind!
    And right on Aussies, Asia always gets it prime-time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlkiLB9YZ0
  • Hessen
    Hessen
    ✭✭
    I mean, it was in jest, but the overly emotional response feels like you should probably step away from the internet for a bit mate :)
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It says PC maintenance is done on Mondays and Wednesdays so why do you keep doing it on Tuesdays?

because tuesday is the day that comes after monday and right before wednesday ;)
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's nigh unto 100f/38c out there, so I'll be taking a pass on that. And...well, I'm just not into girls. :)

So, I'll just sit in front of this fan and mumble "hurry up please so I can go back to being distracted whilst I melt.".

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, it was in jest, but the overly emotional response feels like you should probably step away from the internet for a bit mate :)

Oh don't boss people around and act smug and then be all 'just joking.'

Trust me, if I was emotional about it, you'd know it.

The fact is: Many of us make plans around life for raids and so on, and this is right in AU/OCE primetime. Every time.

Then we have to constantly reschedule things that we had already rescheduled, because of shifty maintenance times.

If you can't eat it, don't dish it out.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also why begin maintenance at 6:00AM this time? Service downtime should be done during hours of least gameplay. Starting at 3:00AM made far more sense. Other MMOs that I have played gave both pre patch time estimates and real time ones. We are just kept in the dark with no way to effectively plan our game times.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you perhaps stop to consider "Hmm... What might they be doing during these maintenances?"

Let's see. Last week was the start of a new month, which began on Wednesday. Not Monday. So, on Wednesday morning, bright and early, they had a maintenance to ensure the switchover for daily rewards went off without a hitch this time after it went screwy for three days at the start of July. Given the first wasn't a Monday, they couldn't very well have done the changeover during the Monday timeslot.

This week, Midyear Mayhem ended, and did not do so until 10 AM EDT, past their usual time slot for maintenance, as they said it would. It apparently did not require maintenance to end the event. However, getting rid of the bonus campaigns for it did. So, after the event had ended, and on Tuesday like they said it'd be on ESO Live, they brought down the servers to get rid of them.

I mean, it sucks that your trials group has had to shuffle around time slots a few times, but part of organizing a group is working around the hand you're dealt. Neither this week's maintenance nor last week's were particularly unforeseen. It doesn't mean that they're personally plotting against you, just that the way the calendar and events have fallen means they had to step outside their normal Monday slot. Life happens. Roll with the punches.

As for it being "during AUS primetime", the unfortunate thing about how the world turns is that it's always prime time for somebody, and yours happens to land when it's 6am and ZOS employees have gotten into work, woken up, and are ready to start the update. Blame time zones, blame the way the world spins, blame reasonable work schedules.

It sucks, but no one's twirling their mustache Snidely Whiplash-style and going "This will really screw over that Australian trial group. Nyeheheheheh." I promise.
  • Hessen
    Hessen
    ✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

Oh don't boss people around and act smug and then be all 'just joking.'

Bossing people about FFS :D

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neverwalk wrote: »
    if USA is holiday on monday, maintenace will be tuesday instead

... and if there is no holiday on the Monday, they still do maintenance on Tuesday? :wink:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    It sucks, but no one's twirling their mustache Snidely Whiplash-style and going "This will really screw over that Australian trial group. Nyeheheheheh." I promise.
    One of our sysops at college was just like that. Rumour has it she was the one who write-protected /dev/null when she heard someone was writing data to it. So yeah, she was generally causing chaos when she wasn't twirling her moustache.