The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would You like ZO$ to upgrade and add more servers?

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    they are not going to do this.
  • Zimbugga
    Zimbugga
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No. I want they to fix their current servers first before new servers.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, I'd like ZOS to hire better server programmers.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Karivaa wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    As I've said in all the thread about upgrading servers or adding servers whilst it might have some benefits, it's not going to fix the issues on too many server calls caused by bad skill programming.

I've played an MMO which used the most cutting edge servers which were located in the same country as me and it still pooped itself during mass battles simply because the code/server calls bottleneck.

"Upgrade the servers" and "add more servers" are buzz phrases yelled by people who rarely have invested the time to learn what the actually issued causing the lag are.

Now as I said in the opening it might add some benefits (we don't know much about their hardware outside what the beta folks learnt) but it's not going to entirely fix the issues you want fixed.

It seemed to get exponentially worse with the multi-core update, because I'd wager that the skill calls are only half the problem. It's likely the computers being able to compute the game faster then the server can keep up and it's creating the bottleneck.

Multiply it by the playerbase, and that's what we have now. That's all speculation, but if that is part of the problem, adding more servers to lesssen that bottleneck might actually help.

You start off pretty much correct since the organization of code and programing it to run efficiently is the first place to look. Then fall into the trap that OP started in this thread is often false thinking upgrading and adding more hardware is some sort of magical cure.

Considering that upgrading the hardware and adding to it is pretty simple, easy, and low cost. If the solution was that simple we would have seen the solution.

But enjoy the misguided conversation

Didn’t the original developers of ESO quit the company shortly after the initial launch? Maybe that is why the code is so buggy?

Some were fired lol capitalizing on maintenance mode while outsourcing chapter and DLC updates development.

• Soulwatcher
    Soulwatcher
    ✭✭
    Yes
    To the people crying bad code common sense would tell you that if you have a server that can run the code 3 to 4 times faster. Then game preformance would improve. At this point keeping the same old sluggish servers and trying g to improve performance is a complete waste of time. I have been playing this game for 5 months on Xbox and not a single of their preformance fixes did a single thing to help preformance.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the people crying bad code common sense would tell you that if you have a server that can run the code 3 to 4 times faster. Then game preformance would improve. At this point keeping the same old sluggish servers and trying g to improve performance is a complete waste of time. I have been playing this game for 5 months on Xbox and not a single of their preformance fixes did a single thing to help preformance.

What happens when you are already on a server that can run the code 3 to 4 times faster?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Soulwatcher
    Soulwatcher
    ✭✭
    Yes

What happens when you are already on a server that can run the code 3 to 4 times faster?
    That's just it were not. FFXIV had server problems and the added all new servers and it fixed 95% of the slow game preformance. ESO could do the same but that would mean they would have to give up some money. And I highly doubtful that it would put a dent in the proftis they make off this game every month. This weekend I talked to a guy who had been playing for 2 days and he already dropped $150 on the crown store and there are thousands more like him who play this game every day.
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Wonder how FFXIV is so smooth and its multiplat. Literally never had the issues ESO does. If it needs better coding perhaps hire on someone to fix these issues
  • Valixx
    Valixx
    ✭✭
    Yes
    They need to take a break from just pushing out content and fix crap.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just it were not.

You don't know that. If you do, then you are either work at ZOS, or used to work at ZOS. Either way, you need to sit back and be quiet. (before they sue you) :smile:

Obviously, where FFXIV was concerned, they were running slow hardware. The assumption that ZOS is doing the same has validity, but it may not be the silver bullet you think it is. Are they keeping up with required capacity or trying to squeeze more players onto less hardware? Who knows. It is an easy trap to get into, and easy to get out of. Easy enough that, if this were the problem, ZOS would have probably already done it.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 2, 2018 5:08PM
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

That's just it were not.

You don't know that. If you do, then you are either work at ZOS, or used to work at ZOS. Either way, you need to sit back and be quiet. (before they sue you) :smile:

Obviously, where FFXIV was concerned, they were running slow hardware. The assumption that ZOS is doing the same has validity, but it may not be the silver bullet you think it is. Are they keeping up with required capacity or trying to squeeze more players onto less hardware? Who knows. It is an easy trap to get into, and easy to get out of. Easy enough that, if this were the problem, ZOS would have probably already done it.

Or he could have knowledge in that field? Threatening legal action because of the workforce skillset, yikes that's embarassing.
  • Soulwatcher
    Soulwatcher
    ✭✭
    Yes

That's just it were not.

They would have to shut down the game for days to a week to upgrade servers and that has not happened yet. Which leads me to believe we're still on the same old launch servers.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would have to shut down the game for days to a week to upgrade servers and that has not happened yet. Which leads me to believe we're still on the same old launch servers.

No, they wouldn't have to. That is only necessary if the hardware is changed all at once. They bought a decent hardware platform, I certainly hope they are making use of it by upgrading incrementally over time.

P.S. - There have been several times when they have said they are doing backend maintenance. They could be easily changing the megaserver hardware when they do that. They don't even have to power off the megaserver to do it. As a matter of fact, if they aren't using SSDs, then they shouldn't be dropping power to the megaserver unless they are doing infrastructure work on the building power.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 2, 2018 9:31PM
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

That's just it were not. FFXIV had server problems and the added all new servers and it fixed 95% of the slow game preformance. ESO could do the same but that would mean they would have to give up some money. And I highly doubtful that it would put a dent in the proftis they make off this game every month. This weekend I talked to a guy who had been playing for 2 days and he already dropped $150 on the crown store and there are thousands more like him who play this game every day.

Actually, they didnt add new servers. They had great servers, the problem was their poor coding which is why ff14 went free to play for 2 years while they reworked the ENTIRE code and turned it into ff14:a realm reborn. Redoing all of the poor coding is what fixed their problems, not adding new servers.

They did increase server performance, but that was part of re-coding the entire game. Just saying :)
    Sadly zos will not do that. We know this already.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just it were not.

Please don't spread incorrect information. Server technology is virtually the same in 2018 as it was in 2014.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, the NA and Euro servers should be merged
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Better servers? Yes.

More servers to divide the community? No.
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • ZirconJunkie
    ZirconJunkie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Who wouldn't want better performance? ESO has always been on the cusp of greatness, but is hamstrung by developers who can't fix problems that have plagued the game since the beginning. It's one of the reasons ESO got such horrible reviews at launch.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Turelus wrote: »
    As I've said in all the thread about upgrading servers or adding servers whilst it might have some benefits, it's not going to fix the issues on too many server calls caused by bad skill programming.

I've played an MMO which used the most cutting edge servers which were located in the same country as me and it still pooped itself during mass battles simply because the code/server calls bottleneck.

"Upgrade the servers" and "add more servers" are buzz phrases yelled by people who rarely have invested the time to learn what the actually issued causing the lag are.

Now as I said in the opening it might add some benefits (we don't know much about their hardware outside what the beta folks learnt) but it's not going to entirely fix the issues you want fixed.

neat insight, but the point of this poll is to address how many players want these longstanding unacceptable performance issues fixed, who cares if they got the root cause wrong; everyone here wants to pay for a game that works, not one that doesn't.
  • Prax3des
    Prax3des
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes in the sense of an umbrella vote for "make the game actually playable." ESO would be absolutely amazing right now were it functional. I don't care about waiting for them to make backend fixes in code or even paying for *something* to be done -- as long as the game worked properly after the fact.
    PCNA ★ templar apologist, "mercenarial dog"
    JUST SAY NO to faction locks
    Praxedes Amell ~ DC templar
    Arimenta Weiße ~ EP templar
    Cares-About-Map~ EP templar, AR50
    Loraumaire ~ AD templar
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Zos servers have been terrible since launch, therevis no hope now as all talent has left the studio, but hey at least crown crates are fine.

As alcast said in that nice little video "there's about 5 people working on balance, 5 people working on performance and 200 working of crown crates"
  • Sagz
    Sagz
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes cause of the dollar sign. But in reality, if you want it fixed, and them to take you seriously, everyone cancel your subscription. They will see that and either stop adding content and shut down the servers eventually or look into the issue and pay the money fix the problem or at least the major ones.

If not willing to do so, stop complaining.

Just my opinion.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there just one mega server. To rule them all, and in the darkness bind them?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Isn't there just one mega server. To rule them all, and in the darkness bind them?

Well that's the 'explanation', but in reality there are many servers, each PVP campaign for example is a separate server. In PVE you get ported to your friend's instances if you travel to them, so the idea is that you don't have to 'select a server' before you go play the game, but the game automatically (for the most part) sorts that out for you.

Which is not bad of course, but again, adding more servers won't fix the problem, they need to re-do the backend completely.