The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would You like ZO$ to upgrade and add more servers?

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I’m going to assume that they would have done that by now if that was the cause of the problem. Since it probably wouldn’t fix anything, I don’t see the need to waste the time or money.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather see them do something to make their company a better workplace and to keep employees who know what they are doing!
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They have the most beautiful game I have played. When ESO is as first released, they advertised that they were using new technology which was a mega server. It is apparent the mega server does not work so perhaps they should rethink their new technology.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Those of us who play in cyrodiil are pretty sure it is the time stop skill that is causing the freezing. Get rid of it.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now the problems are in the client software. Most of you need to understand the mega server is a cluster of many servers already which dynamically spins up more individual physical servers as the load demands.
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, because I'd play this game forever (with long breaks for the single-players and death, during which in the former i have kept up my subscription, my family might launch a legal challenge after I die ofc for the latter ;) ) if they could see beyond immediate profits for share holders. I like to believe enough of our team are in Tamriel, not Mammon.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Such a simplistic question. If only managing infrastructure was that straightforward.

How much will it cost us to offset the cost of this upgrade? Can the OP provide the specs of the old servers and the new servers he wants to upgrade to? It would be good to know the cost.

And which performance issues would be fixed? What testing did the OP do to confirm that the issue is the power of the hardware? Has the OP never played game that performed like crap no matter how many times you upgraded your PC hardware? Have they never experienced Chrome struggling on a powerful desktop?

I will say that I don't want server upgrades if that will take money away from development of narrative content, but if they determine that a reasonably priced upgrade to Cyrodiil servers will resolve most of their issues there, they should do it.
    Vietfox wrote: »
    Upgrade, yeah. Add more servers, no. More servers means there would be 1 server for each alliance and bars would look like this 1 - 1 - 3/locked

Are you confusing campaigns/megaservers for hardware servers? Because a single campaign is like running on many servers already.
  • Cerbolt
    Cerbolt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It couldn't hurt to upgrade the servers, but I do agree the main issue is the game itself.
    AD - For the Queen!
    PSEU: Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade | Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Magplar | Ra'ban - Khajiit MagDK | Gaelhwen - Bosmer Stamden

PCEU: Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Stamplar | Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Such a simplistic question. If only managing infrastructure was that straightforward.

How much will it cost us to offset the cost of this upgrade? Can the OP provide the specs of the old servers and the new servers he wants to upgrade to? It would be good to know the cost.

And which performance issues would be fixed? What testing did the OP do to confirm that the issue is the power of the hardware? Has the OP never played game that performed like crap no matter how many times you upgraded your PC hardware? Have they never experienced Chrome struggling on a powerful desktop?

I will say that I don't want server upgrades if that will take money away from development of narrative content, but if they determine that a reasonably priced upgrade to Cyrodiil servers will resolve most of their issues there, they should do it.
    Vietfox wrote: »
    Upgrade, yeah. Add more servers, no. More servers means there would be 1 server for each alliance and bars would look like this 1 - 1 - 3/locked

Are you confusing campaigns/megaservers for hardware servers? Because a single campaign is like running on many servers already.

Dare to dream. It might not hurt.
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    yes yes yes
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    For years now along with sort out pvp....

But will never happen as it can't be put it in the crown store and monetized....
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Troneon wrote: »

But will never happen as it can't be put it in the crown store and monetized....

That argument is getting so tired...
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Opening new servers would lead to other problems, a can of verocious worms!

For example, the guild stores. The economy would vary per server,with less stores to visit prices would rise. Players would migrate to the server with the best economy, leading to an imbalance.

Another example, dungeons. I hear complaints here that players often struggle to find a group. WIth less players on your server, that issue will only get worse.

Another example, guilds. Currently we can join five guilds, and many of us do. With multiple servers, our guilds will be spread out. We may be forced to chose which of our guilds to migrate with, or be left behind.

I see benefits also, it's just that for me at least, I like things they way they are now.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like a few people have said its much more the software (server side) than ZOS just having weak or not enough servers. Esp true if you are talking about lag in Cyro. I think its very safe to say that if fixing those issues was as simple as ZOS buying a few more servers they would do it in a heart beat. A high end server is probably what 12,000 to 15,000 (guessing havent looked in a long time). That's nothing for them if that was actually what was needed to drastically improve latency and reduce DC's (esp in PVP). It's a far far more compicated and harder issue of code and optimization, which is also a MUCH more expensive thing to even work on fixing because it requires talented people that aint cheap working a lot.

Also just for fun ZOS actually shared some pics of some of the hardware that makes up the EU megaserver. Comments on the original thread pointed out that they are very expensive HP blade servers, at least 5 or 6 grand for each blade, and just that one bit of that one cabinet has quite a few in it. What's in those pics are just a small bit of the hardware running the game in EU.

Xqsrwh2.jpg
    uiSLmo2.jpg
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on July 1, 2018 3:19AM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Tandor wrote: »

So is many PvPers patience over ZoS and their continual incompetence over many years addressing PvP concerns, it is also well known that you play the game as a single player only, and probably have never grouped with anyone in any format on the game at all, so your more or less numerous comments on many threads regarding performance is fine for you but not for many others, if you done any PvP or high end group content on vet trials or whatever, you would see performance issues, regardless of addons or not, you are only experiencing a small part of the game in essence, some of us do it all, some do only PvE, some do PvP and yadda yadda.

Many players have potatoe rigs, no sympathy for them, but for those of us with high end rigs and net and know what we are doing to optimise our rigs for the game, and still encountering issues here and there is the fault of ZoS, not the player in that instance.

People have been commenting on server performance for years, and are getting tired of band aid fixes or barely any at all on all factors of the game, server performance is crucial, not all the issues are client related.

In terms of the topic in upgrading servers for better performance then yes they should but on many levels what ZoS does and more importantly does not do, has mystified me for years.

Who was it in the ZoS camp who said again, that we do not need to be here right?, says it all.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I am in the Oceanic region playing with 300+ ping.
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    OGLezard wrote: »
    talk to anyone who understand how the game was put together and they will tell you its not the amount of servers or server hardware, its the engine the game was build upon. To put it bluntly it cannot handle added dlcs extra calculations anti bot software and any sort of graphical upgrades, but to fix the problem would require a massive investment in funds to rebuild the entire thing from bottom up so instead we have been sitting on auto pilot with nothing being done for a good 3 years while people throw money at them hand and fist for cosmetic garbage and dlcs that just rock an unstable engine even more

I said yes just because :)

To comment on the quoted text; so you mean a ff14 type of event.

Square was determined for it to be rebuilt. They even let everyone play for free until they were done rebuilding the game.

I remember the last day before a realm reborn launched, they hosted an amazing ingame apocalypse event. When the apocalypse took place, the servers went down so they could bring a realm reborn online.

Was amazing! Square even tied it into the games lore and made it part of the history that they talk about in a realm reborn.

For anyone interested, here is a timeline of events

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61230-An-Eorzean-Timeline.

With all that being said, not a huge fan of ff14 now days. I fell so far behind because of eso lol

I just think maybe zenimax could learn something from square. Fans were not impressed with 14 and bashed it hard and it eventually died quick. Square determine to make it a success did what they did and found an amazing way to do so!

Now it is thriving beyond belief.

Zenimax could do that and then some, just saying.

ESO was never as bad as the original FFXIV (for anyone other than a hardcore MMO/FF fan).

ESO doesn't have cut scenes, something Square have been blowing my mind with for many years. And ESO's "final patch" would, no doubt, be so riddled with bugs and there would be so many players wanting to log in to see the event that they would have to take the game down before we all saw the end. :s

But wouldn't that be amazing to see though :)
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes!!! I'm sick and tired of trying to do *** in this game as an average player like Vet Maelstrom Arena when you have to deal with your damn abilities not firing off when you need them too because of the damn lag or the game totally freezing up and crashing on you!!!!
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Turelus wrote: »
    As I've said in all the thread about upgrading servers or adding servers whilst it might have some benefits, it's not going to fix the issues on too many server calls caused by bad skill programming.

I've played an MMO which used the most cutting edge servers which were located in the same country as me and it still pooped itself during mass battles simply because the code/server calls bottleneck.

"Upgrade the servers" and "add more servers" are buzz phrases yelled by people who rarely have invested the time to learn what the actually issued causing the lag are.

Now as I said in the opening it might add some benefits (we don't know much about their hardware outside what the beta folks learnt) but it's not going to entirely fix the issues you want fixed.

It seemed to get exponentially worse with the multi-core update, because I'd wager that the skill calls are only half the problem. It's likely the computers being able to compute the game faster then the server can keep up and it's creating the bottleneck.

Multiply it by the playerbase, and that's what we have now. That's all speculation, but if that is part of the problem, adding more servers to lesssen that bottleneck might actually help.

You start off pretty much correct since the organization of code and programing it to run efficiently is the first place to look. Then fall into the trap that OP started in this thread is often false thinking upgrading and adding more hardware is some sort of magical cure.

Considering that upgrading the hardware and adding to it is pretty simple, easy, and low cost. If the solution was that simple we would have seen the solution.

But enjoy the misguided conversation
    Edited by idk on July 1, 2018 5:20AM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »

So is many PvPers patience over ZoS and their continual incompetence over many years addressing PvP concerns, it is also well known that you play the game as a single player only, and probably have never grouped with anyone in any format on the game at all, so your more or less numerous comments on many threads regarding performance is fine for you but not for many others, if you done any PvP or high end group content on vet trials or whatever, you would see performance issues, regardless of addons or not, you are only experiencing a small part of the game in essence, some of us do it all, some do only PvE, some do PvP and yadda yadda.

Many players have potatoe rigs, no sympathy for them, but for those of us with high end rigs and net and know what we are doing to optimise our rigs for the game, and still encountering issues here and there is the fault of ZoS, not the player in that instance.

People have been commenting on server performance for years, and are getting tired of band aid fixes or barely any at all on all factors of the game, server performance is crucial, not all the issues are client related.

In terms of the topic in upgrading servers for better performance then yes they should but on many levels what ZoS does and more importantly does not do, has mystified me for years.

Who was it in the ZoS camp who said again, that we do not need to be here right?, says it all.

I fully understand the problems some players have with the game, and don't under-estimate them at all. I also don't under-estimate the determination of ZOS to fix those problems. All I'm saying is that the argument that they're only interested in keeping the crown store running rather than the game itself is silly and it's getting very tired. It adds nothing to any discussion about the technical issues.
  • Aarlur
    Aarlur
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The problem is not the number of servers but the lack of optimizations. With more servers the game would be empty.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like a few people have said its much more the software (server side) than ZOS just having weak or not enough servers. Esp true if you are talking about lag in Cyro. I think its very safe to say that if fixing those issues was as simple as ZOS buying a few more servers they would do it in a heart beat. A high end server is probably what 12,000 to 15,000 (guessing havent looked in a long time). That's nothing for them if that was actually what was needed to drastically improve latency and reduce DC's (esp in PVP). It's a far far more compicated and harder issue of code and optimization, which is also a MUCH more expensive thing to even work on fixing because it requires talented people that aint cheap working a lot.

Also just for fun ZOS actually shared some pics of some of the hardware that makes up the EU megaserver. Comments on the original thread pointed out that they are very expensive HP blade servers, at least 5 or 6 grand for each blade, and just that one bit of that one cabinet has quite a few in it. What's in those pics are just a small bit of the hardware running the game in EU.

Xqsrwh2.jpg
    uiSLmo2.jpg

It has been 4 years now, and I am actually sort of curious what they look like today. @ZOS_KaiSchober needs to ninja in there and take a selfie in front of the megaserver.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 1, 2018 12:47PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about adding 'more servers' that will fix the performance problems, it's about optimizing & most likely completely re-doing what's under the hood, and that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

They'd probably need another separate PTS just for that 'newer' version of the game, similarly to how Elder Scrolls Legends is now being developed in two separate instances by two different studios.

Also, someone mentioned employees. They laid off a lot of staff some time ago, I don't know the details of it but the way that the game has been evolving over the last few years shows clearly they have no intentions of working on key areas, the main focus is obviously what makes most money, and that's PVE content & crown store.

The game focuses on casuals and TES fans who would like to give it a go online, it does not focus on players like you and me who have been here for many years and plan to stay for many more. We are secondary customers, understand that.

This is why I like PUBG, even though it started as a complete mess of a game (some would argue it still is), devs have been very clear with communication, they worked on what was being REQUESTED by the PLAYERS and they also provided brief & often updates with regards to progress and status.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I fully understand the problems some players have with the game, and don't under-estimate them at all. I also don't under-estimate the determination of ZOS to fix those problems. All I'm saying is that the argument that they're only interested in keeping the crown store running rather than the game itself is silly and it's getting very tired. It adds nothing to any discussion about the technical issues.

And yet it continues to be true. They are much more able and willing to fix a problem with crown monitization than they are basic issues, allthough even crown store stuff is taking longer to fix.

White-knighting that wont change it. Tired it may be, but true it remains.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

Well put sir, and agreed.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    idk wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    As I've said in all the thread about upgrading servers or adding servers whilst it might have some benefits, it's not going to fix the issues on too many server calls caused by bad skill programming.

I've played an MMO which used the most cutting edge servers which were located in the same country as me and it still pooped itself during mass battles simply because the code/server calls bottleneck.

"Upgrade the servers" and "add more servers" are buzz phrases yelled by people who rarely have invested the time to learn what the actually issued causing the lag are.

Now as I said in the opening it might add some benefits (we don't know much about their hardware outside what the beta folks learnt) but it's not going to entirely fix the issues you want fixed.

It seemed to get exponentially worse with the multi-core update, because I'd wager that the skill calls are only half the problem. It's likely the computers being able to compute the game faster then the server can keep up and it's creating the bottleneck.

Multiply it by the playerbase, and that's what we have now. That's all speculation, but if that is part of the problem, adding more servers to lesssen that bottleneck might actually help.

You start off pretty much correct since the organization of code and programing it to run efficiently is the first place to look. Then fall into the trap that OP started in this thread is often false thinking upgrading and adding more hardware is some sort of magical cure.

Considering that upgrading the hardware and adding to it is pretty simple, easy, and low cost. If the solution was that simple we would have seen the solution.

But enjoy the misguided conversation

Didn’t the original developers of ESO quit the company shortly after the initial launch? Maybe that is why the code is so buggy?

• Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't want ZoS to do anything other than fixing their game whatever form that may take and until that happens I don't want them working on anything else.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I'm saying is that the argument that they're only interested in keeping the crown store running rather than the game itself is silly and it's getting very tired. It adds nothing to any discussion about the technical issues.

Tiring? Yes. Perspective. It is also tiring when ZOS doesn't fix things. ZOS needs to be reminded. They don't have the track record, and they don't have a solid base of communications with the customer, for this to be just left to trust. It is snarky, yes.

As for discussing technical issues... don't fool yourself. This is not the place, and your fellow forum denizens are not the people.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The servers are fine, other issues are causing performance issues.