The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do bites have to be free?

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I'm genuinely curious about the logic involved in this. I saw someone in zone chat ask for a bite, and the only person available to do it was busy but said they'd do it but since it was interrupting them and out of their way they were asking 10k, to which the asker agreed. Immediately, first one and then a bunch of people jumped on the would-be biter, calling them all sorts of names and being generally hostile and angry that they would dare charge for a bite and insisting that bites should always be free. I've seen this sort of conversation many times over the past year, and no one ever answers me when I ask in zone chat: Why is it different to ask for gold for a bite than it is to ask for gold for Skyreach runs, or mats, or something that you stumbled over in a treasure chest?

I know people who bought the bite in the crown store, way back. I also know people who farmed *hard* for the special spawns to earn their bite the hard way out in the wild and are very proud of that accomplishment. So why is this worthless compared to an accidental find, or some time spent picking up a few nodes, or running content with someone to help them earn xp? The bitee is basically asking to have an entire skill line shared with them. Why is this worth less than someone's higher CP level in Skyreach, or someone's luck with a chest?

(Note--within guilds I see a lot of bites given back and forth to guildies, but I also see a lot of items and mats and gold and carries given freely, too, so that's aside from this "random request in zone" thing.)

Edited by Minyassa on June 23, 2018 11:35AM
  • Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because I like to help people out without being motivated by the aspect of getting paid.

I also imagine it's because there are simply so many vampires/werewolves players that the supply is on par, maybe even exceeding, demand. It also takes all of 5 minutes to get to the shrine, so it's not exactly backbreaking work.
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • KingofAnnwn
    KingofAnnwn
    ✭✭✭
    People will complain about anything and everything within this game. If the bitee is willing to pay, no one else has the right to complain and attack the person providing the service for a charge.
    In my opinion, it's no different than the examples you've stated. If people are taking their time to provide a service, then they should be compensated accordingly.

For the record, If I'm in zone and have a bite available, I will provide it free of charge.
    Edited by KingofAnnwn on June 23, 2018 11:42AM
    Xbox One (Very Rare)
    DC - Gwenhwyfar Gwraig - Redguard Vamp Stamplar
    DC - Kiarina Florcht - Redguard Stamden
    PC
    AD - Lilwen Haf - Altmer Mag Sorc
    EP - Tarmena Diloren - Dunmer Magblade
    DC - Eletti Ghellon - Redguard Stamblade
    PS5
    DC - Arianwen Adahl - Breton Magcro
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that this originates from when it was discovered that you could get bites from NPC's..... specific ppl farmed those NPC's and killed them holding the general public to ransom on bites.... and charging a lot of gold for them...

hence the strong reaction now...
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't. People have all sorts of opinions, it doesn't make it right. Yes there are others out there who will give a free bite, and those who want something in return for their time; both sides are equally valid. If you're willing to pay for something, that is your choice, screw what other people think. The only time its bad when its a total scam like those Daedric Thrones when they come around for 0 gold at vendors and someone decides to sell them for 200k in a guild trader.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It was a real hassle a few years ago to get lycanthropy or vampirism and the skill lines were pretty valuable at the time. These days, not so much. They’re pretty common and not as useful as they used to be.

There was a time when people would use bites as a way to scam other players. “Yeah, I’ll give you a bite for 20k”. They get the money in advance and then log off without providing the bite, OR they would provide the bite then the other person would refuse to pay. Whether or not it should be free is up to the people involved in the transaction, but it’s not fun to watch someone get ripped off.

The other people in the chat were probably jumping to a lot of conclusions in their attempt to play the ESO Better Business Bereau watchdogs.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious about the logic involved in this. I saw someone in zone chat ask for a bite, and the only person available to do it was busy but said they'd do it but since it was interrupting them and out of their way they were asking 10k, to which the asker agreed. Immediately, first one and then a bunch of people jumped on the would-be biter, calling them all sorts of names and being generally hostile and angry that they would dare charge for a bite and insisting that bites should always be free. I've seen this sort of conversation many times over the past year, and no one ever answers me when I ask in zone chat: Why is it different to ask for gold for a bite than it is to ask for gold for Skyreach runs, or mats, or something that you stumbled over in a treasure chest?

I know people who bought the bite in the crown store, way back. I also know people who farmed *hard* for the special spawns to earn their bite the hard way out in the wild and are very proud of that accomplishment. So why is this worthless compared to an accidental find, or some time spent picking up a few nodes, or running content with someone to help them earn xp? The bitee is basically asking to have an entire skill line shared with them. Why is this worth less than someone's higher CP level in Skyreach, or someone's luck with a chest?

(Note--within guilds I see a lot of bites given back and forth to guildies, but I also see a lot of items and mats and gold and carries given freely, too, so that's aside from this "random request in zone" thing.)

Entitlement.

People assume that what they believe is the absolute right thing to do, therefore everyone should do it.

I usually mock these people mercilessly when possible (within the bounds of the EULA and the ToS, ofc).

If people don't want to pay for a service, they are free to not accept the transaction and look for someone willing to do it for free, but bullying someone into giving something they think has value for free is exactly that: bullying.

Within a guild there's usually an unwritten rule to help people by not asking for compensation for things like that (or crafting, or grinding), but there's also an unwritten rule to not expect people to agree to it if they don't want to. That's because you want to foster a sense of community and because you expect to receive the same treatment if needed.

People giving bites for free are within their right to do so, but people mobbing and shaming who's not willing to are morons, imo.

Edited by Aisle9 on June 23, 2018 12:06PM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its a savage mentality left over from the early days of eso where guilds would kill all vampire spawns and ww spawns to control the market on bite some used to be 100k back during those days because of how hard people tried to corner the market on the bites. There was like 90 ppl at the spawn points trying to get bit, but huge bite seller guilds would be waiting to annihilate anything that spawns before anyone could catch a break... eventually few guilds turned members and had a massive free bote fest that stuck forevermore
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't consider bites to be always free. Nice, when it happens, but not required.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't have to be free. When I wanted a character to become a vampire, I went to Bangkorai, offered 5k for a vampire bite, and got the whole thing done very quickly. Which was what I wanted - paying for the convenience.

If someone wants a bite for free, they might get lucky or they might have to be patient. I was impatient and willing to pay accordingly.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing should be free.
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't usually charge as there are so many people around who are willing to do it for free but I completely understand your point about it costing someone their time if they are on a limited schedule.

If someone charges 10K perhaps someone else will charge 5 or 2 or even come out for free.

But yeah if people began cussing me out and stuff for it in chat then I would definitely just report it.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got vampirism on my toons from the blood fiends because at the time I didn't have a guild, but usually I see people offering them for free, especially to guildmates, as it's a simple enough task and it doesn't take a lot of time. If however somebody is looking to make some gold and charges reasonably for bites to people willing to pay the amount, that's also a valid transaction, and there's nothing wrong with it. As with all services, it can be a source of gold, or it can be a nice gesture; I give bites for free, but at the same time, if I needed a bite and someone had one available, I wouldn't just asssume it to be free.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, personally... whenever in the past I've needed a bit I would ask in guild chat... and I could see a guild member being harassed over charging another member for a bite; you're part of a guild, you should be doing things to help each other not expecting payment. However, in ZONE chat from non-guild members, then I think charging for ones time is fair... I know usually if I'm playing then I'm busy doing something... I don't recall ever spending time in the game just doing nothing.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No matter the service or item offered or asked for, there is always "that guy" in zone chat who tells everyone what things should cost, that it's overpriced, that he gets so much gold for it, etc.... I've taken to calling them MMO Moguls lol *rolls eyes*
    Edited by stewhead2ub17_ESO on June 23, 2018 12:33PM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two reasons.

1. It's considered essentially a community resource because there are so many werewolves and vampires, which is a point of pride for them, that when someone holds it behind a monitary wall, people call them what they are. Exploitative. It's a commodity that is in demand but has no supply limit, people who want you to pay for it are idiotic, especially because people from guilds are more than happy to oblige.

2. Because of what happened at release. Back in the day, it was pricegouged, people going out of their way to enforce the scarcity. People used to kill the mobs needed to contract either disease so others couldn't get it, and thus they had to pay.

The practice has been demonized because the people who do it are usually ***. S'not entitlement to frown upon someone pricegouging something that's readily available. If I set up a hot-dog stand next to a hotdog stand selling hotdogs for 10 bucks, and demanded 100 bucks per hotdog, with no actual improvement on the product, people will call me an idiot and go to the other stand. That's what this is.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    Nothing should be free.

Very well. You shall now be taxed on air, including the air you have breathed retroactively.

After all, nothing should be free.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on June 23, 2018 12:36PM
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They have to be free, because 70% of people will happily give them away for free. Since you can always get one for free, nobody who knows is going to pay serious money for it (sometimes you will see a 2k tip or something). This is why people are bothered by others trying to cheat the noobs who don't know better by charging them.

The last time WW/Vampire bites had actual gold value was before veteran ranks were removed.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bites have always been free if you find the NPCs. I have been giving away bites since April 2014. Why? Because I am not greedy.
  • Charliff1966
    Charliff1966
    ✭✭✭
    They dont have to be free. Just at times its fun to see zonechat explode after seeying someone say "it will cost you 10k."
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raraaku wrote: »
    Because I like to help people out without being motivated by the aspect of getting paid.

I also imagine it's because there are simply so many vampires/werewolves players that the supply is on par, maybe even exceeding, demand. It also takes all of 5 minutes to get to the shrine, so it's not exactly backbreaking work.

Sometimes I just want a bite. People don't jump at the chance to bite you unless they're bashing someone else ha!

I just put I'll pay 5k when I'm asking. Saves the trouble..
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because people always have to stick their nose in everybody else's business.
    Tempers, mats, reagents are free but everybody still sells them.
    You can farm them or find your own bite but they sell for convenience.
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bites have always been free if you find the NPCs. I have been giving away bites since April 2014. Why? Because I am not greedy.

It's not "greedy" to want to be compensated for a service you provide. I'm all for giving bites away gratis, but I'm also for being compensated if that's what someone wishes. Ultimately it is up to the provider and the consumer what something is worth.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because free is about what a bite is worth, that's why. At this point in the game, a bite is virtually worthless, and something you should do for friends or guildies for free. 10k is a lot for a bite.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I give them out for free. But, I’m actually okay with people calling out those who charge.

Of course, be reasonable. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it....period. If your willing to wait for a freebie great....if not than pay...simple economics.

Majority of the time yes there are people willing to give bites for free....myself included (I came into PS4 launch As a Vamp from PC....it’d be interesting to see a Family tree of Vamp bloodlines in this game...I’m prob majorities PS4’s Vamps Great Grand Pappy....lol)
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too tired and lazy these days to get upset about this kind of stuff, though I always give free bites myself, even to zone-ies and, no offense but I would whisper the person about to hand over 10K gold and tell them to let me do it for free because it does pain me to see people pay that much for something I'd be happy to do for free. Especially if it's a werewolf bite, those things are laughed at in PVE and not great in most PVP situations besides 1 on 1, unless you're like me and obsess with making werewolf work for everything.
    Vampire on the other hand are like free buffs pretty much and I would argue to say they are worth more because the demand is higher.

i generally don't care what other people do with their bites but will stop people from spending money if I'm in the area and my bite is up.
    Edited by coop500 on June 23, 2018 1:14PM
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bite was free, so in turn I make sure mine are free as well.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving out free bites shows people your good side from a moral aspect, & let’s be honest here, what about a few years from now when people scammed players of their gold, they charge gold for a bite & they get the gold, only to not give the bite and go offline, never to let the buyer see that gold again, players monetised bites(gold wise) in such a fashion, it was not only outrageous and kinda stupid really (like beating a dead horse with a stick.) but players would get pretty Livid & call them out either before or after it happens(depending on their smarts mind you.), or end up putting in a support ticket to the team (which is really the best option if some one is silly enough to still fall for it.)

personally, it’s better for bites to be free.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo,bites don't "have to" be free.That is entirely up to how much someone wants to offer and/or demand for the service...

Still...Everyone is free to find the npc and get bitten for free...but that could take days/months/years....so I paid 5k to finally get it done ,and I was happy to do it D:

Now I charge others 5k,to return the favor ofc. ;)
    Edited by Agobi on June 23, 2018 1:19PM
  • gnarlyvandal
    gnarlyvandal
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn’t have to be free, but it does take only a couple minutes to bite someone.
    Personally, I pretty much always bite for free as I’ve never had to pay for one myself. Pass it on and all that... Unless I’m skint, then a couple kg wouldn’t go amiss :tongue:

That situation that OP has described seems a bit harsh though...