The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should there be sets that resist oblivion damage?

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could rework the Oblivion's Foe crafted set! Here's the current god-awful 5pc bonus:

"(5 items) Increases the damage of your Soul Trap abilities by 100%"

Change to this:

(5 items) Increases the damage of your Soul Trap abilities by 100%. Reduces Oblivion damage taken by 20% and all Oblivion damage inflicted upon you is also inflicted upon your attacker.

This would still be a fairly weak set overall but would provide some alternative counterplay and keep the Oblivion meta somewhat in check.
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    They could rework the Oblivion's Foe crafted set! Here's the current god-awful 5pc bonus:

Change to this:

(5 items) Increases the damage of your Soul Trap abilities by 100%. Reduces Oblivion damage taken by 20% and all Oblivion damage inflicted upon you is also inflicted upon your attacker.

This would still be a fairly weak set overall but would provide some alternative counterplay and keep the Oblivion meta somewhat in check.

In soviet ESO....oblivion damages you!

That is a terrible terrible idea.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Change to this:

That's a good idea and I have come up with a way to get around the "can't be resisted" problem. I propose a new set and here is what it is:

Daedric Mirror Set
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
    (4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
    (4 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
    (5 items) All Oblivion damage dealt to you is also dealt to your attacker.

This would be perfect as you would not be mitigating, avoiding, or lessening the Oblivion damage you are taking. However, the Oblivion damage you are dealt is ALSO dealt to your attacker which resolves the entire issue. Neither party is mitigating anything.
    Edited by Knowledge on June 14, 2018 5:35PM
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »

Change to this:

That's a good idea and I have come up with a way to get around the "can't be resisted" problem. I propose a new set and here is what it is:

Daedric Mirror Set

This would be perfect as you would not be mitigating, avoiding, or lessening the Oblivion damage you are taking. However, the Oblivion damage you are dealt is ALSO dealt to your attacker which resolves the entire issue. Neither party is mitigating anything.

I think that's how Oblivion damage should work IF IT MUST STAY IN GAME. Not a set that does that but just in general Oblivion damage should also damage the attacker lol.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Change to this:

Daedric Mirror Set

But is it really a problem to mitigate the Oblivion damage taken if you devote an entire item set to it? That's a pretty big sacrifice. Besides, I don't think the devs are entirely opposed to creating a way to mitigate Oblivion damage, they just seem to want it to bypass shields/block/resistances which can all be made to over-perform within certain builds.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Change to this:

Daedric Mirror Set

But is it really a problem to mitigate the Oblivion damage taken if you devote an entire item set to it? That's a pretty big sacrifice. Besides, I don't think the devs are entirely opposed to creating a way to mitigate Oblivion damage, they just seem to want it to bypass shields/block/resistances which can all be made to over-perform within certain builds.

I don't think it's a big deal personally but the posters seem to be against anything that resisted it. So, that is why I proposed a "mirror damage" set. It's the only option that doesn't break the lore.
    Edited by Knowledge on June 14, 2018 5:42PM
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another simple shield stacking solution is to just not allow shields to stack.

The change in the patch could be this simple.

Shields will no longer stack. Whichever shield is stronger will cancel out any additional shields you attempt to use.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post! I learned so much! In particular I learned that I gotta get me some of that sweet, sweet Oblivion Damage dealing. That way, my lack of skills won't matter at all!

Thank you @Knowledge! You made my day!
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭

Shields will no longer stack. Whichever shield is stronger will cancel out any additional shields you attempt to use.

That's great for PvP but a bit of a problem on the PvE side of things.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    Great post! I learned so much! In particular I learned that I gotta get me some of that sweet, sweet Oblivion Damage dealing. That way, my lack of skills won't matter at all!

Thank you @Knowledge! You made my day!

No problem, DenMoria. I think we should all be using it until it's changed. I encourage you to do the same!
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great for PvP but a bit of a problem on the PvE side of things.

if it only deals with shields you are personally using I don't think it would be an issue. Outside shields such as those from Igneous Shield, Healing Ward, etc assuming they are coming from another player would still stack.
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as the introduction of past sets and changes to skills becoming undogeable or unblockable, sload was made in the intent for bad players to use it. This game is becoming more and more casual every patch. You don't even learn how to fight, just hold block root spam and let your procs and skills go off at the same time and EASY MONEY.
    Edited by Kalante on June 14, 2018 5:53PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Change to this:

Daedric Mirror Set

I don't think it's a big deal personally but the posters seem to be against anything that resisted it. So, that is why I proposed a "mirror damage" set. It's the only option that doesn't break the lore.

To put it gently, there are a ton of simple-minded folk rampant on these boards who either 1) don't understand counterplay, or 2) want to protect the OP toys they are currently playing with.

Either way, there should never ever be a mechanic with zero counterplay in a multiplayer game. It's bad design and the developers should feel bad. It's totally fine to make it ignore the primary defenses, but for every available action there must be an available reaction.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lore goes out the window when it comes to profit.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • SilverIce58
      SilverIce58
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Change to this:

Daedric Mirror Set

@Knowledge and what happens when both you and your opponent are wearing this set? It keeps getting bounced back and forth til someone dies.
      PC - NA
      CP 1125
      Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
      Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
      Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
      Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
      Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
      Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
      Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
      Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
      Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
    • Malamar1229
      Malamar1229
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Fiktius wrote: »

In PVP right now the use of oblivion damage is very rampant. It's also easy to get the sets because it is crafted. The set puts an "oblivion dot" on you. A lot of people are upset in the PVP community about this.

That a lot people are upset about something, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work as developers intended.
      People will always complain, what ever is added being in the game, what ever is buffed or what's being nerfed.
      It's impossible to satisfy everyone.
      (What I think about Sload, let's leave that to another topic which is actually Sload related, okay?)

I find that video of yours quite ironic, because after watching it you should already know:
      Oblivion damage is actually a counter for something: Shield stacking.
      It seems like a lot people who are complaining about it, are actually being countered and for being able to react, they should also counter what is killing them: add more healing. Perhaps increase health pool slightly if there's need for it.
      Adjust your build, make it counter what's killing you most.

And about the set itself, I would see it mostly as a waste of 5th item bonus. I can excellently counter Oblivion damage already, so personally I wouldn't use such a set at first place, but I guess some who are unable to adjust their build to counter Oblivion damage would see that set usefull - if they are willing to sacrifice entire 5th item bonus for it.

Yes, the video talks about how the item being used on someone needs to be enjoyable for both the user and the person it's used on. It needs to add more choices to both players.

Hitting a sorcerer with oblivion damage is not enjoyable for the sorcerer nor does it give them any real choices especially when it is in a "dot" form.

this comment gives the impression that overpowered shields and Strong Defense type builds are favorable.
      our past has proven that the idea of overpowered defense builds that are also able to do Great Damage is Not Favorable by the community.

Coming from Stamblade this is laughable. Play a pre summerset sorc before commenting. I won't argue with a summerset sorc, but previously sorcs were not even close to OP as your propaganda suggests. Never placed in our duel tournaments, and shields scale miserably against X opponents. I have a stamblade. It was a joke to play compared to sorc.
    • DeadlyRecluse
      DeadlyRecluse
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Daedric Mirror Set

While I think the reasonable answer to oblivion damage, as it currently exists, is to just rebalance the sources of it (really, just the one OP source, Knight Slayer isn't very popular and Torugs+infused seems to be pretty forgotten, too)...

...This is a neat set idea. It would be incredibly niche, but useful when relevant. I'd add another effect to the 5 piece. Maybe heal a marginal amount whenever you take oblivion damage? Something like 400 after battle spirit?
      Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      BRCOURTN wrote: »
      Maryal wrote: »
      Let's look at this logically:

Oblivion damage cannot be resisted.

Damage that can be resisted cannot be oblivion damage.

No armor can resist oblivion damage, not now and not in the future -it's a virtual impossibility.

Therefore, asking if armor sets should resist oblivion damage is quite illogical.
      So, back to rehashing old issues in new threads, I see.

Oblivion damage is rare in the sense that not many creatures deal it and as a player, you specifically have to build for it.

When you do, as with any build, you're sacrificing other things on the chance that your niche build might be effective.

The fact that you're trying to use lore to justify resistance to the irresistible creates its own paradox.

And for bonus points, @idk had it right. It's a rare word, but still, most definitely a word.

The counter is health, healing, and dodging.

In PVP right now the use of oblivion damage is very rampant. It's also easy to get the sets because it is crafted. The set puts an "oblivion dot" on you. A lot of people are upset in the PVP community about this.

It might be that a lot of people are upset, but the loudest are not always the majority.

I understand that some players prefer to rely on proc sets to win in PVP but for others that is not fun gameplay. There seems to be a divide in the PVP community regarding what is the preferred method.

Group A wants to win by light attacking and waiting for proc sets.

Group B wants to play a game where player skill is more of a factor.

The comment you quoted has little to do with your reply.

He merely stated that a group being vocal does not mean they are the majority. Obviously there is a difference in opinion with everything in the game.

Essentially you are suggesting getting rid of oblivion damage, plain and simple. If you disagree with that comment then you do not understand the purpose of oblivion damage.

Further, Zos will not introduce resistance to oblivion damage for that very reason. That is a fact. Zos has double downed on oblivion damage during the past two years adding it to the PvE area (players receiving oblivion damage from NPC/fight mechanics).

The way it is.
    • PlagueSD
      PlagueSD
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Potenza wrote: »
      It is call healing. smh
      Any set that heals.

If you have healing sets on, or everyone does, how would they deal enough damage in PVP to kill other players?

Ok so you want to be able to counter everything AND be able to put out max dps.

There's not any counter for oblivion damage at all. So how can I even counter it?

tZSmVtq.jpg

**edit: and yes, I know it's spelled 'defense'. I didn't want to waste time looking for the correct spelling.
      Edited by PlagueSD on June 14, 2018 9:24PM
    • Knowledge
      Knowledge
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Daedric Mirror Set

While I think the reasonable answer to oblivion damage, as it currently exists, is to just rebalance the sources of it (really, just the one OP source, Knight Slayer isn't very popular and Torugs+infused seems to be pretty forgotten, too)...

...This is a neat set idea. It would be incredibly niche, but useful when relevant. I'd add another effect to the 5 piece. Maybe heal a marginal amount whenever you take oblivion damage? Something like 400 after battle spirit?

Restoring health would be interesting but I think that resource regeneration would be more likely. Spell Absorption CP line already gives you back Magicka when dealt damage, including oblivion damage, so maybe Magicka and Stamina in proportion to the damage dealt?
    • BRCOURTN
      BRCOURTN
      ✭✭✭✭✭

No armor can resist oblivion damage, not now and not in the future -it's a virtual impossibility.

Therefore, asking if armor sets should resist oblivion damage is quite illogical.

Oblivion damage is rare in the sense that not many creatures deal it and as a player, you specifically have to build for it.

When you do, as with any build, you're sacrificing other things on the chance that your niche build might be effective.

The fact that you're trying to use lore to justify resistance to the irresistible creates its own paradox.

And for bonus points, @idk had it right. It's a rare word, but still, most definitely a word.

It might be that a lot of people are upset, but the loudest are not always the majority.

I understand that some players prefer to rely on proc sets to win in PVP but for others that is not fun gameplay. There seems to be a divide in the PVP community regarding what is the preferred method.

You’re making a couple of assumptions to get to your final point of there being only two types of people... I personally don’t fit into either of those groups, so there must be at least one more group. I’m sure there’s a group C or D that even wants skill to be the only factor, not more of a factor. I don’t agree with polarizing the community as you’ve done in your comment.
    • DenMoria
      DenMoria
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I want everything to be a cakewalk and never die or even really pay attention to the game while I read about the latest Kardasians antics on my phone.

You’re making a couple of assumptions to get to your final point of there being only two types of people... I personally don’t fit into either of those groups, so there must be at least one more group. I’m sure there’s a group C or D that even wants skill to be the only factor, not more of a factor. I don’t agree with polarizing the community as you’ve done in your comment.

• idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

He is and he is also making an assumption that Zos will change their mind about having damage in the game that cannot be resisted.
    • Knowledge
      Knowledge
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I want everything to be a cakewalk and never die or even really pay attention to the game while I read about the latest Kardasians antics on my phone.

Added to the group list.

Group C wants everything to be a cakewalk and never die or even really pay attention to the game while they read about the latest Kardasians antics on their phone.
      Edited by Knowledge on June 14, 2018 10:58PM
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Added to the group list.

Group C wants everything to be a cakewalk and never die or even really pay attention to the game while they read about the latest Kardasians antics on their phone.

This is really a pessimistic view and narrow sighted as well.
    • Knowledge
      Knowledge
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      idk wrote: »

Added to the group list.

This is really a pessimistic view and narrow sighted as well.

It was clearly a joke. (group c)
    • Dredlord
      Dredlord
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Aurielle wrote: »
      It obviously has its limitations as you stated - just like most other types of damage so its balanced. This is a nerf thread.

It's a thread requesting the ability to counter something in a game with more than one player.

Its health damage. To invest in high health is the way to mitigate it. I get hit with this damage too and it hurts, but I don't expect to have a counter for everything in the game.

Exactly. And let’s not forget that Oblivion damage is itself a counter to shield stacking.

To the OP:

2c81qe.jpg

THIS.

Counters to a counter is ridiculous. Now shield users and invis users have to make meaningful choices as you mention in the OP.
    • starkerealm
      starkerealm
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Oblivion damage has long been a controversial aspect of ESO.

Nope.

Oblivion damage was designed as a specific counter to builds that focus heavily on mitigation. It has a very narrow application, and underperforms in the vast majority of situations.

As Oblivion damage counters shield stacking, and some players like to run with almost no health, and lots of shields, they are easily neutralized by a build that focuses on dealing oblivion damage.

Instead of looking at their build, realizing, "wait a second, maybe I should actually have some health instead of one metric **** ton of shields, they've come to the boards to cry.

Do not believe their tantrums @Knowledge.
      Edited by starkerealm on June 14, 2018 11:41PM
    • starkerealm
      starkerealm
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Vaoh wrote: »
      I really wish I spent absolutely all of my time PvPing when this game launched, and totally avoided PvE. There was legitimate balance back then. Complaints weren’t that large and only related to random outstanding things that were a bit too strong or what not. Everyone had so much fun and the population so much higher.

Nowadays? What a mess ESO PvP has become.

Yeah, because getting batswarm's ultimate cost down to ~6, and then completely locking Daggerfall out of Cyrodiil by becoming an unkillable vampire god was, 'legitimate balance."
    • Malacthulhu
      Malacthulhu
      ✭✭✭✭
      Oblivion damage should have a cost on the user, debuffing their own resistances to deal unresistable damage.

"the imp, unaware of its own odor, paused to catch its breath..and promptly died"
      Xbox One Na