The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should there be sets that resist oblivion damage?

• Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion dmg is a cool concept for npc's and bosses...but its place in pvp is bleh
  • BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »
    Maryal wrote: »
    Let's look at this logically:

Oblivion damage cannot be resisted.

Damage that can be resisted cannot be oblivion damage.

No armor can resist oblivion damage, not now and not in the future -it's a virtual impossibility.

Therefore, asking if armor sets should resist oblivion damage is quite illogical.
    So, back to rehashing old issues in new threads, I see.

Oblivion damage is rare in the sense that not many creatures deal it and as a player, you specifically have to build for it.

When you do, as with any build, you're sacrificing other things on the chance that your niche build might be effective.

The fact that you're trying to use lore to justify resistance to the irresistible creates its own paradox.

And for bonus points, @idk had it right. It's a rare word, but still, most definitely a word.

The counter is health, healing, and dodging.

In PVP right now the use of oblivion damage is very rampant. It's also easy to get the sets because it is crafted. The set puts an "oblivion dot" on you. A lot of people are upset in the PVP community about this.

It might be that a lot of people are upset, but the loudest are not always the majority.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion dmg is a cool concept for npc's and bosses...but its place in pvp is bleh

it is intended as a counter to over powered shield builds and High Defense builds that cannot be damaged.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiktius wrote: »

In PVP right now the use of oblivion damage is very rampant. It's also easy to get the sets because it is crafted. The set puts an "oblivion dot" on you. A lot of people are upset in the PVP community about this.

That a lot people are upset about something, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work as developers intended.
    People will always complain, what ever is added being in the game, what ever is buffed or what's being nerfed.
    It's impossible to satisfy everyone.
    (What I think about Sload, let's leave that to another topic which is actually Sload related, okay?)

I find that video of yours quite ironic, because after watching it you should already know:
    Oblivion damage is actually a counter for something: Shield stacking.
    It seems like a lot people who are complaining about it, are actually being countered and for being able to react, they should also counter what is killing them: add more healing. Perhaps increase health pool slightly if there's need for it.
    Adjust your build, make it counter what's killing you most.

And about the set itself, I would see it mostly as a waste of 5th item bonus. I can excellently counter Oblivion damage already, so personally I wouldn't use such a set at first place, but I guess some who are unable to adjust their build to counter Oblivion damage would see that set usefull - if they are willing to sacrifice entire 5th item bonus for it.

Yes, the video talks about how the item being used on someone needs to be enjoyable for both the user and the person it's used on. It needs to add more choices to both players.

Hitting a sorcerer with oblivion damage is not enjoyable for the sorcerer nor does it give them any real choices especially when it is in a "dot" form.
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is call healing. smh
    Any set that heals.

If you have healing sets on, or everyone does, how would they deal enough damage in PVP to kill other players?

Ok so you want to be able to counter everything AND be able to put out max dps.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRCOURTN wrote: »

No armor can resist oblivion damage, not now and not in the future -it's a virtual impossibility.

Therefore, asking if armor sets should resist oblivion damage is quite illogical.

Oblivion damage is rare in the sense that not many creatures deal it and as a player, you specifically have to build for it.

When you do, as with any build, you're sacrificing other things on the chance that your niche build might be effective.

The fact that you're trying to use lore to justify resistance to the irresistible creates its own paradox.

And for bonus points, @idk had it right. It's a rare word, but still, most definitely a word.

It might be that a lot of people are upset, but the loudest are not always the majority.

I understand that some players prefer to rely on proc sets to win in PVP but for others that is not fun gameplay. There seems to be a divide in the PVP community regarding what is the preferred method.

Group A wants to win by light attacking and waiting for proc sets.

Group B wants to play a game where player skill is more of a factor.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the most logical thing to do is make Oblivion Damage affected by Battle Spirit? That way, Oblivion Damage can keep its Lore in tact while PvP players can complain about something else instead of how OP Sloads supposedly is.
    Argonian forever
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potenza wrote: »
    It is call healing. smh
    Any set that heals.

If you have healing sets on, or everyone does, how would they deal enough damage in PVP to kill other players?

There's not any counter for oblivion damage at all. So how can I even counter it?
    Edited by Knowledge on June 14, 2018 4:35PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That a lot people are upset about something, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work as developers intended.
    People will always complain, what ever is added being in the game, what ever is buffed or what's being nerfed.
    (What I think about Sload, let's leave that to another topic which is actually Sload related, okay?)

I find that video of yours quite ironic, because after watching it you should already know:
    It seems like a lot people who are complaining about it, are actually being countered and for being able to react, they should also counter what is killing them: add more healing. Perhaps increase health pool slightly if there's need for it.

And about the set itself, I would see it mostly as a waste of 5th item bonus. I can excellently counter Oblivion damage already, so personally I wouldn't use such a set at first place, but I guess some who are unable to adjust their build to counter Oblivion damage would see that set usefull - if they are willing to sacrifice entire 5th item bonus for it.

Yes, the video talks about how the item being used on someone needs to be enjoyable for both the user and the person it's used on. It needs to add more choices to both players.

Hitting a sorcerer with oblivion damage is not enjoyable for the sorcerer nor does it give them any real choices especially when it is in a "dot" form.

this comment gives the impression that overpowered shields and Strong Defense type builds are favorable.
    our past has proven that the idea of overpowered defense builds that are also able to do Great Damage is Not Favorable by the community.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand that some players prefer to rely on proc sets to win in PVP but for others that is not fun gameplay. There seems to be a divide in the PVP community regarding what is the preferred method.

Please define player skill, skill at what? LOS?
    Or just pushing a different button.
    No one likes a stalemate either.
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 14, 2018 4:36PM
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this comment gives the impression that overpowered shields and Strong Defense type builds are favorable.
    our past has proven that the idea of overpowered defense builds that are also able to do Great Damage is Not Favorable by the community.

Shields are bound to a finite resources and a timer. Oblivion damage is not bound to any resource.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You missed my point - it was one of logic.
    You are looking at my response emotionally. Try to look again at it logically - I was having fun with you.
    Oblivion damage, by definition, cannot be mitigated.
    You can't introduce an armor set into the game to 'mitigate' something that is un-mitigateable'

Logically, the developers would FIRST have to modify oblivion damage so that it could be mitigated -- and this would require the code to be modified.

If the code were modified to allow oblivion damage to be mitigated, then you wouldn't need a 'special' armor set for that, as any armor set would do.

Get it?
    Edited by Maryal on June 14, 2018 4:39PM
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is call healing. smh
    Any set that heals.

There's not even any counter for oblivion damage at all. So how can I even counter it?

Healing, points in higher health, roll dodge, out dps the player..... The application of oblivion damage as you said is a simple click of the mouse. Its still an action. I say the counter is another click of the keyboard or another action by you. This is where skill comes into play. If I have a set that automatically mitigates that particular damage - wheres the skill requirement in that?
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please define player skill, skill at what? LOS?
    Or just pushing a different button.
    No one likes a stalemate either.

I'm not sure how to answer this. Are you arguing that the game takes no skill to play and prefer sets to proc based on basic attacks because it otherwise requires no skill?
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are looking at my response emotionally. Try to look again at it logically - I was having fun with you.
    You can't introduce an armor set into the game to 'mitigate' something that is un-mitigateable'

Logically, the developers would FIRST have to modify oblivion damage so that it could be mitigated -- and this would require the code to be modified.

If the code were modified to allow oblivion damage to be mitigated, then you wouldn't need a 'special' armor set for that, as any armor set would do.

Get it?

I'm looking at this objectively. Your main argument is for the integrity of the lore. My main argument is for the happiness and enjoyment of playing the game.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion damage has long been a controversial aspect of ESO.

According to the Elder Scrolls Wiki, it is defined as: Irresistible Damage, also known as Daedric Damage or Oblivion Damage is a type of magical damage. True to its name, it cannot be resisted by any damage reduction effects. Fortunately, sources of Irresistible Damage are very rare, being found mostly as set bonuses. Note that Irresistible Damage is not subject to Critical Strikes, so it is less effective against lightly armored opponents but more effective against heavily armored enemies or enemies who are Blocking or using a Damage Shield.

Oblivion damage can be accessed with simple weapon glyphs, crafted gear, among other sources. It is not rare at all and is very abundant at this time. The reason an irresistible damage source is controversial is because it removes counter play entirely.

First we need to understand what counter play is. Let's take a look at a short video that explains counter play to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBcjsOt0_g

What is important to note, as we've learned in that video, is that you can't just make an ability, weapon, or tool in a game fun for only the player that gets to use it. It must be interesting for the players that it gets used on. It should increase the number of meaningful choices for both players.

An irresistible damage source is not fun for both players and is not interesting for the player it is being used on. More importantly it removes an important aspect from the game which we like to call skill. We can go into detailed discussions about game theory and elaborate further on why it's abhorrent to add things that can't be countered in fun multiplayer games that people pay to play but I don't think that's necessary.

Therefore, i think there should be a set that can resist oblivion damage. I believe the sets five piece bonus should be something akin to (5) Mitigates Oblivion damage from all sources. I don't think this would be unfair as the player using it is giving up a lot of potential by taking a set with a five piece solely to counter oblivion damage whereas they could have a set that did more damage, did oblivion damage, or boosted their overall capability in terms of output.

"less effective against lightly armored opponents but more effective against heavily armored enemies or enemies who are Blocking or using a Damage Shield" this is the most relevant passage from your entire post, and its not even from you. If you arent in heavy armor or using damage shields, oblivion damage is no more dangerous than other sources of damage...oblivion damage is counterplay to tank and/or shield stacking builds. Its only OP to those relying on shield stacking to survive...everyone else just shrugs it off the same as they do other damage...or they die just like they do to other damage. Sloads is obviously the developers attempt to change the heavy armor meta in cyrodiil...and judging by the massive amount of whining thats going on about it, I would say they may succeed in the goal as people swap to light or medium for stronger HoTs to counter it.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is call healing. smh
    Any set that heals.

There's not even any counter for oblivion damage at all. So how can I even counter it?

Healing, points in higher health, roll dodge, out dps the player..... The application of oblivion damage as you said is a simple click of the mouse. Its still an action. I say the counter is another click of the keyboard or another action by you. This is where skill comes into play. If I have a set that automatically mitigates that particular damage - wheres the skill requirement in that?

You must be a very good PVPer.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, if you want to go by lore, the most lore-friendly reason for not having anything to resist oblivion dmg is that at this point in time, researchers on Tamriel know little to nothing(compared to, say, Divayth Fyr/Seht/the Psijic Order) about the intricacies of oblivion or about its associated damage type. So adding something in to try to make it "lore-friendly" would actually be breaking lore.

I think you are making valid points and I agree with you. However, if someone doesn't have the ability to make something resist oblivion damage how does someone have the ability to make an armor that deals oblivion damage?

Because Daedra and their Princes are very selective with the knowledge they give to mortals. If anyone knows how to counter oblivion damage, it's the ones who use it, and I doubt they'd be very interested in giving mortals a resistance to their type of magic.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is call healing. smh
    Any set that heals.

You must be a very good PVPer.

No im not. But Im always trying to get better.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No "skill" in a video game is a concept for players to make up more fictional rules to try and put themselves above other players. Armor sets should add or buff stats and mitigate damage. Weapons should do damage.
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 14, 2018 4:44PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is that they used to call it unresistable damage. Then they changed it to oblivion damage.

Made me once think they would add a special resistance passive to it, like through the Fighters Guild or something.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    double post
    Edited by brandonv516 on June 14, 2018 4:44PM
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it?

I'm looking at this objectively. Your main argument is for the integrity of the lore. My main argument is for the happiness and enjoyment of playing the game.

LOL! no no no
    You missed the joke! I said I was having fun with you! I was poking fun at your suggestion to introduce armor to mitigate something that, by definition, cannot be mitigated. I'm talking about computer code. Coding is based on logic. Coders have to set up rules within the code. Currently, the computer code provides that oblivion damage cannot be mitigated. ZOS would have to change how oblivion damage is defined in the computer code to allow it to be mitigated. IF they did that, you wouldn't need any special or new armor sets to mitigate oblivion damage - not if the computer code is changed. THAT was the point! I was making fun of you, in a way.

Maybe it's because I am a computer geek / nerd, whatever. I just saw the illogic to the question you posed and chuckled. I was poking fun at you, thinking you would 'get it' and smile.

Edited by Maryal on June 14, 2018 4:53PM
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion damage has long been a controversial aspect of ESO.

According to the Elder Scrolls Wiki, it is defined as: Irresistible Damage, also known as Daedric Damage or Oblivion Damage is a type of magical damage. True to its name, it cannot be resisted by any damage reduction effects. Fortunately, sources of Irresistible Damage are very rare, being found mostly as set bonuses. Note that Irresistible Damage is not subject to Critical Strikes, so it is less effective against lightly armored opponents but more effective against heavily armored enemies or enemies who are Blocking or using a Damage Shield.

Oblivion damage can be accessed with simple weapon glyphs, crafted gear, among other sources. It is not rare at all and is very abundant at this time. The reason an irresistible damage source is controversial is because it removes counter play entirely.

First we need to understand what counter play is. Let's take a look at a short video that explains counter play to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBcjsOt0_g

What is important to note, as we've learned in that video, is that you can't just make an ability, weapon, or tool in a game fun for only the player that gets to use it. It must be interesting for the players that it gets used on. It should increase the number of meaningful choices for both players.

An irresistible damage source is not fun for both players and is not interesting for the player it is being used on. More importantly it removes an important aspect from the game which we like to call skill. We can go into detailed discussions about game theory and elaborate further on why it's abhorrent to add things that can't be countered in fun multiplayer games that people pay to play but I don't think that's necessary.

Therefore, i think there should be a set that can resist oblivion damage. I believe the sets five piece bonus should be something akin to (5) Mitigates Oblivion damage from all sources. I don't think this would be unfair as the player using it is giving up a lot of potential by taking a set with a five piece solely to counter oblivion damage whereas they could have a set that did more damage, did oblivion damage, or boosted their overall capability in terms of output.

a) purge or ritual
    b) after 7 days of tracking my death recap sloads came in 20th place on my death recap and not once did the oblivion enchant show up.
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    No counter to Oblivion damage?

Pop surge/ lotus flower / leeching strikes or what have you. Throw down aoe on sorc or weave some light attacks as anything else (you should be doing that anyway). Profit.

Oblivion damage is fine as it is. The whole POINT of it is to counter resist builds, that's why it only does half the damage of any other enchantment proc.

Counters for it DO exist. If they didn't, Anyone using oblivion would insta-kill you every time.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Except your thread is not about Sloads, is it? It's about Oblivion damage in general.

Instead of requesting or requiring a set that directly counters another set, perhaps the meta set in question should be what's getting looked at, not every other method of getting that same damage in the game.

If the set it really OP, it will eventually get put on the chopping block. But the subject of the thread, Oblivion Damage, is not as prevalent otherwise as you'd make it out to be. (If it was, it would've been an issue long before Sloads, and for the typical build, it was not.)

Turns out, the counter to a DoT is a HoT.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on June 14, 2018 4:54PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it?

LOL! no no no
    You missed the joke! I said I was having fun with you! I was poking fun at your suggestion to introduce armor to mitigate something that, by definition, cannot be mitigated. I'm talking about computer code. Coding is based on logic. Coders have to set up rules within the code. Currently, the computer code provides that oblivion damage cannot be mitigated. ZOS would have to change how oblivion damage is defined in the computer code to allow it to be mitigated. IF they did that, you wouldn't need any special or new armor sets to mitigate oblivion damage - not if the computer code is changed. THAT was the point! I was making fun of you, in a way.

Maybe it's because I am a computer geek / nerd, whatever. I just saw the illogic to the question you posed and chuckled. I was poking fun at you, thinking you would 'get it' and smile.

I don't like the feeling of you making fun of me but thanks for letting me know that's what you were doing, I guess.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except your thread is not about Sloads, is it? It's about Oblivion damage in general.

Instead of requesting or requiring a set that directly counters another set, perhaps the meta set in question should be what's getting looked at, not every other method of getting that same damage in the game.

If the set it really OP, it will eventually get put on the chopping block. But the subject of the thread, Oblivion Damage, is not as prevalent otherwise as you'd make it out to be. (If it was, it would've been an issue long before Sloads, and for the typical build, it was not.)

Turns out, the counter to a DoT is a HoT.

HOTs work much better when the damage is cut down by mitigation factors.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    no... just remove oblivion dmg from the game....

It's clear that isn't going to happen as oblivion damage items have been recently added despite players asking for it to be removed. That is why I am suggesting this alternative.

And I get that. But I rather not apply a bandaid. And instead just fix the issue. And I swear it's be a cold day and a huge slap to the face if they add a set to resist a broken much complained about set.
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is unresistable damage, so it would be illogical that something could resist it.
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.