Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

(NA) Toxicity in PvP community reaching CRITICAL LEVELS

Prince_of_all_Pugs
Prince_of_all_Pugs
✭✭✭✭✭
Ive been here since day one , and while the fact that toxic people have always existed in this game, ITS NEVER BEEN THIS BAD, the salt is practically BRINE now. Almost every post we make on this forum gets shut down because of all the hate tells and salt throwing. you cant even send people a GG tell after a fight anymore because you get a hate tell back. We all need to chill out as a community, its discouraging the newer players.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are absolutely right. Usually, the zone Generals are tolerable....however in the last few months in particular the toxicity has gotten over the top. We all know the 'usual' players who use zone chat as therapy or just as someone to talk to while the rest of us are apparently supposed to read their blather endlessly without regard or block them. The games entertainment value begins to deteriorate rapidly with the emboldened zone trolls who log in to only poison the zone chat. ZOS, these people are truly disturbed and have issues (only they don't know they are disturbed)- NONE of us can help them work through there very real problems, so please insert yourselves into Alliance zone chat and drop some bans. The rest of us should not be subjected to hours upon hours of pure vile from some of these players. They are not even playing the game in most cases and simply spewing in zone chat all day and all night. If you could find a bit of time to remove that capability from them it would enhance my game for sure. And as a sideline, block works- but only when you don't allow offenders back into game with new accounts or names.
    Options
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the angry "Zone Generals" telling the entire Alliance how stupid we are. I always wonder if they realize how counterproductive their [snip] is.

[Edited to remove profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 21, 2018 6:15PM
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
    Options
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Talcyndl wrote: »
    I love the angry "Zone Generals" telling the entire Alliance how stupid we are. I always wonder if they realize how counterproductive their [snip] is.

I doubt there is even a marginal chance they'd acknowledge it.

[Edited for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 21, 2018 6:16PM
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way to deal with PVP trolls throwing out bait/salt/hate tells is to accept that it means you are doing something right and otherwise ignore them.

You can't blame ZOS for shutting down threads when people can't stop feeding the trolls.

As for in-game...sometimes I think people think the real PVP happens in zone chat.

LOL. Win, and let your victories speak for themselves. Have fun, and let that be your own reward.
    Options
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t read zone chat, if you are in pvp and typing in zone chat instead of doing something constructive you are the bad player.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
    Options
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is just as bad on EU tbh. I am playing on PC and last week I was just paying a visit to Bergama wayshrine for some practice duels. Literally within the first minute I have people giving me hate for using a heavy stamblade build. Then another guy felt the need to tell me how much of a better player he thought he was because he won against me on a non-meta build.

I mean seriously, I am coming just to have a bit of fun and these *** insecure kids with inferiority complex are just spitting out hate non stop. The toxicity is just so off putting. It's really sad that duelling degraded into cockfighting, because it is a great way to improve your gameplay.
    Options
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's egos on parade, all the time.
    Options
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, I think this is the least toxic and most civilized PVP forum I've seen. To the point it's actually a bit boring. I like to see heated rivalries boil over -- in the same way they can in sports, but then you have a beer together later, and everything is cool.

The toxicity here is like... catty grandmothers...
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    I dunno, I think this is the least toxic and most civilized PVP forum I've seen. To the point it's actually a bit boring. I like to see heated rivalries boil over -- in the same way they can in sports, but then you have a beer together later, and everything is cool.

Its very easy to provoke though :p
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the best dad jokes as zone general.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
    Options
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I have to agree. The salt / trolling in this community is pretty dull. I think due to it's older audience this community is particularly sensitive to which adds a perceived level of bitterness that isnt really there. Overall I don't think eso is particularly toxic, I just think that toxicity is taken too easily to heart here.

Honestly in my opinion it is due to the casual nature of the game. Casual play and the lack of a competitive format actually allows ego to thrive more so than a community with structure.

Ladders, ranks, scrims, prizes ect all thicken the skin and forces players to let results speak for themselves and nothing short of that.
    Edited by Vilestride on May 22, 2018 2:17AM
    Options
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zone chat is for entertainment only. Very little meaningful dialogue actually happens there.

As for toxicity, you gotta get a thicker skin, put them on /ignore, and move on. If you stop letting them affect your mental state, then they fade into obscurity within the crowd. They literally stop existing. Trust me on that one.

I will say that the small scale / dueling / 1vX / BGs / GvGs communities have gotten WORLDS better on this front over the last several months since we brought Legend back. I have observed a marked reduction in toxicity from these communities and have enjoyed watching members with past beef make peace, get to know each other, and actually become friends over time. You're welcome to join if you want a very large and active community which engages in all kinds of PvP. :)
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
    Options
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see very little toxicity in game, probably because I have the worst offenders on /ignore. Works wonders. The forums on the other hand...
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be a NA thing, and worse on Xbox.

I think because its harder to message enemies on console / takes effort its rare to see anything. Very occasionally you will get a salty message. Generally if you tea bag a better player or something. But its rare.

All the salty screen grabs I see are PC.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Of all online games that I played, ESO probably has THE least toxic chats/forums. Sure, there's occasional salt being tossed here and there, some from-under-the-bridge troll sightings, but the gallons of bile, whine, trolling and hate that I've seen in, say, WoW, SWToR, Tera, Guild Wars really aren't even comparable.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
    Options
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same here on PC EU. Over the years a complex system of alliances has been established in the hardcore pvp community. Through temporary friendships and numerous reinsurance treaties we've been able to maintain an uneasy peace.
    This peace has now been broken by a series of diplomatic blunders and an all out war between a well known streamer (who shall not be named) and several guilds has engulfed Cyrodiil. The green pastures have withered with all the salt that's being spilt, the air echoes with rage whisps and the slaughterfish population is dwindling as toxicity levels reach an all time high.

That's why I go questing now. :D

Edited by Ectheliontnacil on May 22, 2018 10:32AM
    Options
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been bothered subconsciously since posting this. My response wasn't nuanced enough. This one won't be either, but I want to add some things.

We live in a challenging time. After World War 2, the world saw incredible and transformative social progress that began in what we call western nations. But now it seems the pendulum is swinging in the other direction. It's been building up for a while, probably decades, and now the cat is out of the bag and we're all experiencing the rise of the unashamed, uninhibited jerk.

Most of the posters in this forum, even those that spar amongst each other, are not like that. Though some of us, myself included, have lost our composure at times and perhaps have been very wrong in some instances, they're still fundamentally good people and are strong contributors to this community in different ways.

Yet there are others in this game -- many of whom have been removed from the forums -- who are pretty malignant almost all of the time. I'm not defending those people or condoning their behavior. They're not an ESO phenomenon though. It's a societal thing. They're everywhere and making their presence known.

I don't have any answers and don't want to make it seem like I think I do. I think it's a pretty scary time. All I can say to all the decent people out there is to let it roll off you. When you are on the receiving end of unapologetic rage and baffling vitriol, know it's them and not you -- wherever you might encounter it. The only way to win is to be the bigger person. Let it roll off you and rise above it.
    Edited by zyk on May 22, 2018 11:22AM
    Options
  • Doomed
    Doomed
    Soul Shriven
    As a zone general i take offense to this, Most Generals on EP just do what they can to keep the map looking nice, there will always b trolls no matter what. IDK about AD or DC tho. For the most part EP "Zone Generals" Keep things organized and moving. There are trolls but its not the people leading the groups
    Options
  • Prince_of_all_Pugs
    Prince_of_all_Pugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doomed wrote: »
    As a zone general i take offense to this, Most Generals on EP just do what they can to keep the map looking nice, there will always b trolls no matter what. IDK about AD or DC tho. For the most part EP "Zone Generals" Keep things organized and moving. There are trolls but its not the people leading the groups

A zone chat general is only toxic if he doesnt have any forces under his command or if he isnt pushing for emp keeps. A real zone chat general sounds like this"hey guys my raid is seiging this keep with 20 siege get here" or " my forces will hold the zerg back , hit or defend x." A toxic zone chat general is the kind of guy who sits on keeps trying to get others to push out and leach a defense tick.A toxic zone chat sounds like this" WHY IS X GUILD TAKING A THIS KEEP, TAKE THAT, or THIS FACTION SUCKS. these players are so toxic.
    Options
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A zone chat general is only toxic if he doesnt have any forces under his command or if he isnt pushing for emp keeps. A real zone chat general sounds like this"hey guys my raid is seiging this keep with 20 siege get here" or " my forces will hold the zerg back , hit or defend x." A toxic zone chat general is the kind of guy who sits on keeps trying to get others to push out and leach a defense tick.A toxic zone chat sounds like this" WHY IS X GUILD TAKING A THIS KEEP, TAKE THAT, or THIS FACTION SUCKS. these players are so toxic.

This. Zone Generals rarely actually lead groups or do anything constructive. They just throw hissy fits in chat. If you're leading a group, you're not the kind of Zone General being referenced here.
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
    Options
  • Prince_of_all_Pugs
    Prince_of_all_Pugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the only people who should be zone chat generals, are Zerg leaders, elite small man leaders and maybe SUPER ELITE 1vXers.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the only people who should be zone chat generals, are Zerg leaders, elite small man leaders and maybe SUPER ELITE 1vXers.

Score timer callouts and basic "EP hitting x" are what I reserve my zone chat for. Helps out everyone without telling people what to do :).

Unless DC yolos on AD when EP has a 1k lead and it's largely left alone; makes no sense to be a slave to the "second place" mentality when you can die fighting for first. Especially when the former doesn't let you win.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, EP tends to have the better zone generals and never ending stream of useful callouts to boot. But those 'visiting' zone trolls flooding out our normally clean chat are quite annoying. Nothing will take fun out of a game more than mentaly disturbed players spamming zone chat endlessly....worst part of that is they are not playing the game to post so prolifically, simply there to turn it toxic as possible to match their own lives I imagine. Misery loves company- and needs a therapist.
    Options
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as they're not toxic about it. Cyrodiil is a public server played by a huge variety of players with different perspectives.

That goes for organized groups too. Sometimes it's players in organized groups who are the first to be toxic when someone they don't recognize says something they don't agree with. Just because one's group is the most effective doesn't mean they're always right or that they're entitled to belittle 'pugs'.

The key is to, regardless of your role and playstyle, try to be polite and respectful.

Further, competition does get heated and sometimes normally level-headed people lose their cool. When that happens, try not to escalate it by trolling them because they might be triggered.
    Edited by zyk on May 22, 2018 6:36PM
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can only speak for XBox NA but things are downright civil in comparison to every other game I play. Have you ever tried to play a FIFA drop in game with 10 players? On the off chance that someone isn’t blaring music directly into their headset making it impossible to hear anyone else, you’re highly likely to encounter a staggering amount of racial slurs.

Worst I’ll see in ESO zone chat are a few people bickering about someone’s mom.
    Options
  • SwampRaider
    SwampRaider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see groups making stupid tactical decisions I let them know in zone. I will even explain it in detail in zone. . Then when the thing happens I wanted to prevent, they don't care.

I look at the map, I'm a big picture map commander. I've been through all situations, I know the predicted patterns of movement when each side owns certain keeps or scrolls. How each faction reacts to scrolls in different keeps. You'd be surprised how no one is unpredictable these days.

but in the end of the day people are different.

Our pvdoor oceanic crew runs differently and thinks differently than our primetime " fast twitch" organized ball groups. We love them, but their tactical big picture decisions often hurt us at NA night

Such is the life of vivec DC/PC.

ZONE CHAT GENERALS UNITE!

All hail <Sooz Scouting Network> we love you mama sooz!
    Character: Eros, Eros I I, The Paw of Woe
    Class: Templar Healer/MagWarden/ Stam Sorc
    Alliance: DC
    Campaign: Vivec (pc/na)
    Guardians of Daggerfall
    Options
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All hail <Sooz Scouting Network> we love you mama sooz!

The joke EP side is that Sooz is 'Schroedinger's Sooz'. That she's in every DC keep until it's opened and you don't find her inside.

Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I use zone chat - it’s been awhile - is to say, “focus on the keeps, ill get all the resources”. Usually it gets ignored until people notice that 5 resources were just flipped back in like 20 minutes. Flipping resources is about the single best thing a solo PVPer can do for their alliance.
    Options
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

I think because its harder to message enemies on console / takes effort its rare to see anything. Very occasionally you will get a salty message. Generally if you tea bag a better player or something. But its rare.

Nope. XBox in NA is pretty much devoid of toxicity in PVP. Now PVE, that's a different story...

Of course, I don't really view crouching over someone as being synonymous with toxicity in most instances...
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

Nope. XBox in NA is pretty much devoid of toxicity in PVP. Now PVE, that's a different story...

Of course, I don't really view crouching over someone as being synonymous with toxicity in most instances...

But but but ... PVPers are mean! You didn’t get that memo? Haha
    Options