The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jumping "Dodge" should consume stamina

Chrysa1is
Chrysa1is
✭✭✭✭✭
I personally think it's silly that jumping around helps dodge attacks. If jumping is going to count as a dodge, then should consume stamina like the dodge roll, otherwise jumping should not count as a dodge.

Discuss
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. nononononononononono.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »

whys that then?
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumping should not count as dodge and not consume stamina.
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    Hate the costant jumping too. Makes the game look like a children shooter. I wish for a jumping system similar to dark souls, almost impossible to do it in combat. Like it should be.
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think alot of people will not view and discuss this thread out of fear that ZOS might consider changing the jump.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, someone jumped out your super clever ground placed effect?

RELEASE THE KRAKKEN
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    So, someone jumped out your super clever ground placed effect?

RELEASE THE KRAKKEN

No im just in cyrodiil watching people jump around while they attack Rayles
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chrysa1is wrote: »
    I personally think it's silly that jumping around helps dodge attacks. If jumping is going to count as a dodge, then should consume stamina like the dodge roll, otherwise jumping should not count as a dodge.

Discuss

We could add Jump Dodging to rolling dodging!
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    By that logic swinging any weapon, even staff should consume some stamina. Casting skills, even magicka ones should consume some stamina ( its not easy to do these moves 70 times in a row irl, try it out). Just leave jumping alone. Anyone can jump, be it sorc, DK or a nimble nightblade. Any changes to this would break ESO some more.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumping doesn’t count as a dodge, nor does it cause attacks to miss.....
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Own wrote: »

Discuss

We could add Jump Dodging to rolling dodging!

So you think jumping should cost stamina if its going to help you dodge?
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

Yes it does lol
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    By that logic swinging any weapon, even staff should consume some stamina. Casting skills, even magicka ones should consume some stamina ( its not easy to do these moves 70 times in a row irl, try it out). Just leave jumping alone. Anyone can jump, be it sorc, DK or a nimble nightblade. Any changes to this would break ESO some more.

casting skills does consume whatever resource it requires though.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jumping in real life takes energy so I think it should cost stamina
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    Jumping does not affect whether an attack hits, unless you happen to jump out of the area of effect. This is inconsequential, because you can also walk out of them.

Jumping does have certain niche benefits, someone explains their reasoning for doing it in this reddit thread:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6sdaiq/why_do_people_jump_all_the_time_if_the_game_aims/
    but ultimately the premise of this thread is false and jumping in combat is largely a non-issue.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭

whys that then?

Sustains already a pile of crap, no need to make it worse. Also if you're aiming at someone jumping and not at the floor you'll still hit them.

If it's the 'well they jumped out of my ground AoE' argument:
    1. Why use ground AoE's in PvP anyway? Just use a DoT that they can't walk out of.
    2. They could just walk out of it, so by the same argument walking should cost stamina, the same as crouching & running.

EDIT: think I read that jumping ignores LoS (need to be aiming at the enemy on casting and also releasing a skill) so it's an offensive tactic over a defensive one.
    Edited by Sparr0w on May 10, 2018 11:21AM
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    stamina should slowly drain as you idle around because it takes energy to be awake
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So does being alive. Point?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make it so everything but blocking drains our highest resource :)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

Yes it does lol

No it doesn´t. Unless you jump so you gain Line of Sight advantage. But jumping itself doesn´t cause attacks to miss.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So does being alive. Point?

Thought the point had been made
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If rolling around costs stamina, and holding up a shield or weapon to block costs stamina, and sprinting through the landscape costs stamina, then jumping ought to cost stamina as well, simply for logical reasons.

If jumping gives an advantage, like being harder to hit in any way or any situation (including ground AoE), then it darn well ought to cost stamina, for game mechanic reasons.

And while we're at it, have -swimming- get a stamina cost as well.
    Oh, and increase the stamina cost while reducing the swimming speed depending on armor worn... (let's say, make the basic "nude" swimming speed 150% of current, but then give the total a penalty of... 4% per piece of light armor, 8% per piece of medium armor, and 15% per piece of heavy armor... same penalty to stamina cost for swimming. And yes, that -would- mean you cannot swim -at all- in full plate mail.)

And then... add an "athleticism" world skill line where you can spend skill points to migrate those "athletics" stamina costs. That gets advanced whenever you sprint, jump, or swim.
    It would feel like the olde days of elder scrolls... where we did all that just to raise athleticism skill! ;)
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just kick anyone jumping more than 3 times in a row with 307/326. That should teach them.
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stamina should slowly drain as you idle around because it takes energy to be awake
    You consume energy even when you are not awake. Just like does a tv in standby mode.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • Auros
    Auros
    ✭✭✭
    I think when you jump (at least in RL) you should be hit twice the damage, because : you jump and instead of being hit on your shield, you will receive the blow ... somewhere else? :)
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat jumping was designed and Implemented by magSorcs after the reduction of shield duration to 6 seconds. We felt we needed an added defense, and knowing there were none available to us by the normal means (Dodge rolling and heavy armor didn't synergize well with us) we took it upon ourselves to simply make us harder to hit :wink:
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if jumping provides no actual benefit, i am in favor of making jumping cost stamina simply to stop that annoying jumping prick behavior you can see all over cyrodiil nowadays.
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Even if jumping provides no actual benefit, i am in favor of making jumping cost stamina simply to stop that annoying jumping prick behavior you can see all over cyrodiil nowadays.

This person hit it right on the nail , it just looks silly with these people just jumping around
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    If rolling around costs stamina, and holding up a shield or weapon to block costs stamina, and sprinting through the landscape costs stamina, then jumping ought to cost stamina as well, simply for logical reasons.

If jumping gives an advantage, like being harder to hit in any way or any situation (including ground AoE), then it darn well ought to cost stamina, for game mechanic reasons.

And while we're at it, have -swimming- get a stamina cost as well.
    Oh, and increase the stamina cost while reducing the swimming speed depending on armor worn... (let's say, make the basic "nude" swimming speed 150% of current, but then give the total a penalty of... 4% per piece of light armor, 8% per piece of medium armor, and 15% per piece of heavy armor... same penalty to stamina cost for swimming. And yes, that -would- mean you cannot swim -at all- in full plate mail.)

And then... add an "athleticism" world skill line where you can spend skill points to migrate those "athletics" stamina costs. That gets advanced whenever you sprint, jump, or swim.
    It would feel like the olde days of elder scrolls... where we did all that just to raise athleticism skill! ;)

So much this.
    I also find the constant jumping around very much immersion breaking and ridiculous.
    Jumping should cost stamina at least as much as a roll dodge. Also don't just throw all the ground AOEs out of the game just because there's a cost-free hack of getting out of it: AOEs are in the game for a reason and would contribute towards a bigger diversity in gameplay if jumping wasn't costless.