The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What do you do if you see a zone chat discussion that you can see is being overly toxic?

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stupidly feel the need to defend people if they're being bullied. Then of course the bullies turn on me. LOL.
    I don't do it as much as I used to, though, since after a while I just get tired of the negativity.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore is your friend. Report TOS violations, then Ignore is your friend.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is always full and welcome

howdy @Serjustin19 , as a solo player I like following cyrodiil zone chat for the call outs for which keeps to defend or attack, when it isn't very obvious just looking at the map...

reading some of the comments there is like going to the zoo and seeing some odd creature you have no clue about...

I just don't get some of the toxic thoughts that get thrown out there...

at times, it actually makes me a little sad that some folks are so desperate for human contact they resort to trying to provoke others just to have someone to communicate with...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »
    I've often seen at times where zone chats can be particularly bad. Some so bad that I feel compelled to throw some kind of nugget of change that I hope might make the chat a bit less destructive and more constructive/friendlier. It can be with making others think about particular topics or being rather random or weird. The effort is put out there to change it up so it might offer some kind of growth. But I am curious what do you do if you see chat being a bit extreme (no naming and shaming plz) name some constructive ways you deter such extreme actions others do.

First thing I do in game is leave zone/area chat. So doesn't really bother me.
  • IV_Deity
    IV_Deity
    ✭✭✭
    I laugh because people are fighting through a video game. I honestly don't think any of them go outside.
    Now on PC.
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    Cyrodiil is always full and welcome

howdy @Serjustin19 , as a solo player I like following cyrodiil zone chat for the call outs for which keeps to defend or attack, when it isn't very obvious just looking at the map...

reading some of the comments there is like going to the zoo and seeing some odd creature you have no clue about...

I just don't get some of the toxic thoughts that get thrown out there...

at times, it actually makes me a little sad that some folks are so desperate for human contact they resort to trying to provoke others just to have someone to communicate with...

I'm mostly solo player like you, I really dislike it because I'm a healer. (or other way around the saying?) I to rely on Zone chat. Zone chat is very useful. Eventhough Chat is not old, unlike voice. (forgot about pc?) Toxic Parts I can understand. We are not perfect and really glad so much. Yes we are dark and at times more dark than the others. But when we are all United we are all Unbreakable. It's just our Human Nature we should be treated as equal. Yet, life is not so simple, but life is mysterious and ever-changing.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    KRBMMO wrote: »
    I've often seen at times where zone chats can be particularly bad. Some so bad that I feel compelled to throw some kind of nugget of change that I hope might make the chat a bit less destructive and more constructive/friendlier. It can be with making others think about particular topics or being rather random or weird. The effort is put out there to change it up so it might offer some kind of growth. But I am curious what do you do if you see chat being a bit extreme (no naming and shaming plz) name some constructive ways you deter such extreme actions others do.

I do my dolmen grinding in Deshan instead of Alakir - and base my crafters in non-starter zones.

Essentially I figure out where the "mob" of toxic players is and go somewhere else.

Deshaan was one of the toxic places I was talking about and alik'r desert to me is a lot more mellower than deshaan.

I guess the kids that hang out in Deshan moms put them to sleep by the time I start, lol. Or maybe it was just Alakir during the EXP events when you had literally 30 -60 people on a Dolmen and it was a complete waste of time as far as drops go - so I guess the most the people doing it knew so little about the game they didn't realize how inefficient their work was.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report anyone blatantly violating the ToS then turn off zone chat. Or just the second if it's only toxic/stupid but no gross violations of the ToS.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't pay much attention to it in most pve zones unless there's nothing going on atm.

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesn't bother me.. i don't look at the chat that much anyway.. And anything that makes the chat more interesting than WTB WTS garbage is a plus..
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave? Block them? Don't read? Why even create a topic about this?
    Maybe i should be calling 911 when someone is "toxic" with me.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just type "go Trump" and whatever was being discussed shifts to a meaningless but heated political discussion.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 2, 2018 3:36AM
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drop an LGBT Friendly guild invite spam and zone to the next zone! Rinse & repeat! Leaving a wake of homophobia in my path! Bwahahahaha.....
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gleefully report them. Usually, though, I don't see them because I avoid zone chat like the plague these days.
    forever stuck in combat
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. Such a pointless thread @op. What do you do when you are walking to the shops and people are arguing?

What do you do at work in your office when a debate gets heated and people have a difference in opinions?

What do you do at a party where your mates are arguing and it turns in to a fight?

Jesus if you can’t habdle some text on a screen in a digital world then I feel sorry for you in real life dude. Get a grip
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Blutengel
    Blutengel
    ✭✭✭
    I made a tab that only shows NPC dialogue I flip to that when zone chat becomes too much..
    Time for reckless audacity and derring-do!~
    Crow-Friend Warden
    Najara the Crusader Templar
    Thomasin the Witch Necro
    R.I.P Vet ranks...
  • Heka Cain
    Heka Cain
    ✭✭✭
    Join in and tear them all a new one!
  • Ocean_Charlie9
    Ocean_Charlie9
    ✭✭✭
    If the conversation is getting serious and someone is bulling or being violent to someone else, I call it out, because is THE RIGHT THING. Helping others is free, u know... I don't mind if they start talking to me, If I can help the victim, it will be enough. Then report if they violate TOS.

If there's trolls being stupid and doing jokes, I'll just read a little and then ignore it.

imho I don't know why people look to the other side when someone needs help. In real life or in-game, it doesn't matter, it cost nothing to care for others and having a little humanity.

edit: typo mistake.
    Edited by Ocean_Charlie9 on May 2, 2018 9:19AM
    PC-EU
    Mufasa The Handsome-- Khajita- Templar-- Ebonheart Pact
    Cir-Cenn-- Argonian- Warden-- Aldmeri Dominion
    Wallace Highraven-- Imperial- Dragon knight-- Daggerfall Covenant

Check my stuff
    https://www.artstation.com/circenn4sons

• Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ignore and think its part of online-gaming,
    PC
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freedom of speech. Everybody has the right to say everything.
    If i do not like something I just do not read it. Simple.
    For guild recruiters I have ignore list.
    Edited by EvilCroc on May 2, 2018 9:42AM
  • Soul_Marrow
    Soul_Marrow
    ✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    Ignore it and move on.

This.^^^ This guy has it exactly right.

Who cares if someone is arguing with someone else? Words are words. Do you interfere every time you see an argument in public too? People need to stop trying to police everything to fit THEIR view of what should be happening. Worry about your own business. Meandering is sad on so many levels.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore it, no one has a right not to be offended so if I don't like something I walk away. Simple.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laugh
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Horker
      Horker
      ✭✭✭✭
      *grabs popcorn*
      ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
    • Malacthulhu
      Malacthulhu
      ✭✭✭✭
      Randomly link stolen treasures with funny names and descriptions.
      Xbox One Na
    • zer0_sum
      zer0_sum
      ✭✭✭
      I've yet to see it be very toxic. In fact most of the time it's totally dead quiet. Some trolling but usually quiet. Nobody really flames others or is hostile much. Unlike a certain other MMO.

Overall it's quite tame.
    • JJBoomer
      JJBoomer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You start talking about how amazing corn is. It's a great subject changer.
    • Datthaw
      Datthaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You throw gas on it.