The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

What do you do if you see a zone chat discussion that you can see is being overly toxic?

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the forums then go into the game.

It's generally nicer there.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    feed the trolls
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shut off zone chat until I change zones or put the offender on ignore
    Edited by Katahdin on April 30, 2018 6:36PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really haven't seen anything in this game I would consider toxic enough to get involved or leave the zone. Dromund Kaas in Swtor on the otherhand.. :/

I do have quite a few obnoxious people who troll chat in pvp on ignore so I can see the legitimate call outs.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to ignore it, but when I see some Zonie saying something truly stupid, I may snap.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • LordHades
    LordHades
    Soul Shriven
    First world problems...

If if something really harmful, disgusting, illegal or whatever then report and let Support people to deal with it, we are not ESO Police or SJW (at least I'm not). If we are talking just about a bunch of idiots having "fun" and spamming, trolling, insulting to each other then you can just ignore, block them or again if you think they crossed a line report.

I don't even think that's toxic in most cases, that's just dumb. Is much worst people joining pugs and not speaking a single word, not even "Hi" and then when group fail just one time at a boss, they just leave or even worst, assuming that someone with low level is stupid and kick him before give him a chance to run dungeon or blame the low level if something fails, when sometimes is obvious that the high level guy complaning and trying to kick others is the one who have no idea about mechanics, only he got better gear and more CP.

VJwU5WXY.jpg
    Edited by LordHades on April 30, 2018 7:00PM
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old do you have to be to play this game? Old enough to be able to handle meen werds.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I report or ignore. I teach middle school, following it reminds me too much of my work day
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a tab I call "peace" which only has /tell, NPC and /group enabled.

It's blissful for those times when I just want...peace.

Otherwise, if it's the standard posturing, bickering and attempts at humour, I just shine it on. If it gets ugly, really ugly, I will /report.
    Edited by DieAlteHexe on April 30, 2018 7:43PM

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply don't read chat if it gets toxic. If it really starts to bug me I will close the chat window. Once I was so bothered by it, I placed them on my ignore list. Like magic, their toxic exchange disappeared. Like someone said earlier, if someone said something really alarming, I would report the player but not get into a verbal exchange with them. Not sure why some players feel the need to tell others when they've reported them. That's always puzzled me.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on April 30, 2018 7:10PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is join in the wrong answer?
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I have zone chat turned off. It's wonderful.

This, since launch. Zone English enabled, Zone disabled. That seems to do the job on PC EU.

Edited by Tandor on April 30, 2018 7:11PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually I tab over to my guilds-only tab when that happens. The only reason I have Zone open in the first place is to catch the occasional good sales deal. Missing a good sale is worth not having to see some of the garbage people type sometimes.

Once, but only once, I decided to experiment and I threw something random out there that successfully changed the subject. I am pretty sure it was sheer luck that it caught that time. I would not be confident in my ability to do it again.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you have ability to crate custom chat tabs with various filters I usually switch to NPC - only tab... They are usually the smartest... ;)
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 30, 2018 7:15PM
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »
    I've often seen at times where zone chats can be particularly bad. Some so bad that I feel compelled to throw some kind of nugget of change that I hope might make the chat a bit less destructive and more constructive/friendlier. It can be with making others think about particular topics or being rather random or weird. The effort is put out there to change it up so it might offer some kind of growth. But I am curious what do you do if you see chat being a bit extreme (no naming and shaming plz) name some constructive ways you deter such extreme actions others do.

I do my dolmen grinding in Deshan instead of Alakir - and base my crafters in non-starter zones.

Essentially I figure out where the "mob" of toxic players is and go somewhere else.

• Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live and breathe for the toxicity chats. Keeps me well entertained whilst waiting for PUG or whatever.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KRBMMO wrote: »
    Armatesz wrote: »
    I've often seen at times where zone chats can be particularly bad. Some so bad that I feel compelled to throw some kind of nugget of change that I hope might make the chat a bit less destructive and more constructive/friendlier. It can be with making others think about particular topics or being rather random or weird. The effort is put out there to change it up so it might offer some kind of growth. But I am curious what do you do if you see chat being a bit extreme (no naming and shaming plz) name some constructive ways you deter such extreme actions others do.

I do my dolmen grinding in Deshan instead of Alakir - and base my crafters in non-starter zones.

Essentially I figure out where the "mob" of toxic players is and go somewhere else.

Deshaan was one of the toxic places I was talking about and alik'r desert to me is a lot more mellower than deshaan.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toxic is only a small part of it. My main complaint vs zone chat is that so much of it is jibberish that has nothing to do with the game. So my default chat box has zone disabled. 'Tis a shame really, since I would love to see and respond to zone calls like 'LF help with xyz WB plz'. Even if I had zone chat on, anything I might be interested in would simply get lost in the jibberish.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jump right in.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turn on my custom chat tab that filters out /zone.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave Auridon.

Well, you'll be leaving Stonefalls as well.. and Cyrodiil, and Craglorn, and Alik'r, and.. well, hell, you'll be leaving every zones in the map.

Yeah.. just turn it off or block the toxic ones.. given, you have enough space left.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing.
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    ignore it or just block the person/people involved

Don't feed the trolls!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ignore it. Offensive or not, it is the least important thing to worry about.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I think an individual is crossing a TOS line I might say something like "Wow, better be careful what you say. You never know whose watching this or who might report you." I do not further engage.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    I find toxic talk in pugeons far worse, usually coming from some frustrated plank who wouldn't dare have the attitude in RL. I just suggest leave to them, if they don't I start a kick vote and if that fails I leave......life's too short etc.
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is always full and welcome
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Eyro
    Eyro
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually sit and wonder if the forums mods play the game too. And if they are sitting there silently raging that they can’t mod the crap out of people in game.

Like the old athlete who sits and yells at the tv because they can’t change anything anymore.
    Edited by Eyro on May 1, 2018 2:41PM
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on my mood. If someone is getting picked on I say something and will not back down or let up Any topic that contains sensitive things like racism, LGBT rights, abortion, Terrorism, Gun laws, etc should be avoided or handled in a mature fashion IMO.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly ignore it. But a few times I have jumped in and trolled the troll.