The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Does Anyone Use Impulse?

esp1992
esp1992
✭✭✭
Does anyone use Impulse or the morphs at all?
I thought about using the Pulsar Morph, but I don't know.
MY CHARACTERS

Clouse the White Warden - Breton AD MAG Warden
Jaro the Wild Changeling - Bosmer AD STAM Warden
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when Pulsar trains were the lifeblood of Cyrodiil.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I will switch Force Pulse with Pulsar on my Magwarden. Minor Mangle can wreck someone if they aren't prepared for it.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda wish they would replace this ability with something more universally useful for destro staves. A staff execute comes to mind
    Edited by Lynx7386 on April 25, 2018 6:22PM
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    they nerfed it into the ground to the point that NOBODY uses it.

thanks a lot ZOS.

bad decisions on top of bad decisions.
  • esp1992
    esp1992
    ✭✭✭

thanks a lot ZOS.

Nerfed it how?
    MY CHARACTERS

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esp1992 wrote: »

thanks a lot ZOS.

Nerfed it how?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe both the radius and the raw damage have been tampered with over the years. What really put an end to this skill was when they made Lighting Staffs do monster AOE damage for free. If there was anyone still hanging on to an impulse spam after that, morrowind finished them off.

I will occasionly slot the ranged version in PVP on my magic sorc during keep defense (spam on the breech from far away), but other than that, I think these skills are pretty much worthless at this point.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on April 25, 2018 8:48PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not since like 1.5.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • djyrb
    djyrb
    ✭✭✭
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe both the radius and the raw damage have been tampered with over the years.

I'm sure there was a spell cost increase or two in there as well, at one point or another :wink:
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Main problems, at least in PvE, are that:

1). Damage is not as good as many other AoE skills.
    2). DoT is weaker than many other DoTs.
    3). Just about every enemy where 10% health reduction is significant is an enemy who is immune to that debuff.
    4). Even if some enemies (such as some beefy adds and trash in Trials) are not immune and do take a significant hit from the immediate 10% health loss, it is something you use only once at start of fight. Skill slots are at too much of a premium for a one-and-done skill. That 10% burst at start of fight will likely be overcome be putting another DoT in that slot, making it part of your rotation, and doing constant damage throughout fight.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    djyrb wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe both the radius and the raw damage have been tampered with over the years.

I'm sure there was a spell cost increase or two in there as well, at one point or another :wink:

Ha! Probably one or two. :smile:
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take the typical developer stance on this ability:

Impulse is now a single target, ranged 3 second channel that gains execute bonus on low health enemies. This functions just like radiant destruction, and deals damage based on your staff type.

Morph 1: pulsar
    Gains an additional effect based on your staff type.
    Inferno staff: deals 25% additional damage to burning enemies.
    Lightning staff: 75% of the damage dealt by pulsar is also dealt to all enemies within 5m of the target.
    Frost staff: while channeling you are immune to interrupts and crowd control and gain major protection.

Morph 2: elemental ring
    While channeling you are protected by a 5m ring of elemental magic based on your staff type. Enemies who attemptbenter the ring take damage and are knocked back.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The minor mangle only works one enemy so it's bugged. For quite a long time...
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used Impulse for a long time. My reasons are in line with those above.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its fun for clearing out big mobs of trash. Its fun with mechanical acuity. Is it bis no and u normally switch it out for somwthing single target when on a boss.
  • DivineFirstYOLO
    DivineFirstYOLO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

It truly is bugged.. i would like to use it.. but they need to fix it first :-(

Zerg Squad

Godslayer x 4

Pro questing fees for RPers in Cyrodiil, pay your taxes!
    PC - EU

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    djyrb wrote: »

This is the biggest problem, in my opinion. You can get good damage and utility from it on weak mobs for grinding, but you go out of magicka real quick if you try spamming it on Vet Dungeon mobs.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

It truly is bugged.. i would like to use it.. but they need to fix it first :-(

Really..? I hadn't notice. I use it for my Magden as support for the 10% reduction, since my range is the Cliff Racer and didn't realize any wrong with it. I will have to pay more close attention to it now to test if it's so.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time I use it is when I solo public dungeons, and then I use the Pulsar morph. It's not the best skill out there, but it's kind of fun sometimes.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still use it in Skyreach when running people through. That's about it. I don't slot it anywhere else.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used it all the time........a couple years ago.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven’t used it in several years now. I honestly don’t think any of my characters even have it unlocked right now. Genuinely is not worth the skill point.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • esp1992
    esp1992
    ✭✭✭
    Well.
    These are all helpful I suppose.
    MY CHARACTERS

• Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please no, do not mention this skill anymore, Or they will nerf the HA with a Lightning staff to make " Both choices interesting", i don't want to see this in the patch notes ...
    • Destruction Staff
      • Tri focus: Reduced the Shock heavy attack damage that you deal to nearby enemies, to 30/55% from 55/130%
        Developer Comments:
        We nerfed the Aoe damage from the Lightning staff Heavy attack in order to make the choice interresting between Impulse and the Lightning staff HA, We want the players to choice between a skill that cost magicka and deal increased damage (Impulse), and a Heavy attack with a lightning staff that restore magicka while doing damage.
    Edited by Apherius on April 26, 2018 3:12PM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They made all sorts of negative changes to it. Initially it was an unblockable, undodgeable skill and easily spammable.

They reduced the damage, they reduced the range, they made it blockable, they made it dodgeable, they significantly upped the cost.. and all that even before the sustain changes.

I’m not sure if it’s blockable/dodgeable now. The skill is too expensive with too small radius to be useful. This is the era of Lightning staff heavy attacks. Never mind spamming a 3.2k skill of limited range.

The irony is that when they were nerfing it we told them they’ll be merely replacing Impulse trains with Steel Tornado trains. People thought it was funny then.
    EU | PC | AD
  • kvlou79
    kvlou79
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me Minor Mangle applies to vet 4-man bosses. I use it on my warden healer to try to help out the fight. Otherwise, WTF is the point of this debuff?!?! It’s the only source I know of for it.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kvlou79 wrote: »
    Tell me Minor Mangle applies to vet 4-man bosses. I use it on my warden healer to try to help out the fight. Otherwise, WTF is the point of this debuff?!?! It’s the only source I know of for it.

Does not work on bosses.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Impulse.

But I kind of suck, so there's that.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • kvlou79
    kvlou79
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    kvlou79 wrote: »

Does not work on bosses.

@Zos Since your new ‘thing’ is to bring back underused skills. Let’s have a look at this being good, shall we? Or just delete Minor Mangle from the game so people aren’t wasting their time.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have it on my bar more often than not for helping clear out trash mobs. Helpful if you're pugging with lower level folks and DPS of your group is unreliable. Swap out for boss fights.
    ✭✭✭✭
    esp1992 wrote: »
    Does anyone use Impulse or the morphs at all?
    I thought about using the Pulsar Morph, but I don't know.

I used to use it with a fire staff with a dunmer DK and silks of the sun set but yeah it seems weaker somehow than when I used it before.