The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ice Staff DPS: Drop the taunt and add a small, passive execute.

Savos_Saren
Savos_Saren
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I know that people consider Fire and Lightning damage to be the go-to for magicka-based DPS. And I know that a lot of people think that MagWardens are low on the totem pole for DPS. My suggestion is that they keep some of the aspects of Ice Staff tanking (the block mechanics passive) but remove the taunt. In my time as an Ice Warden tank- I've always had SnB on my front bar (with a taunt) and Ice Staff back barred.

If you remove the taunt from Ice Staves- it'll allow DPSers interested in ice abilities to have more meaningful gameplay without interrupting the Tank's taunt.

If you add a small execute (ie: light/heavy attacks do ##/##% more damage to low health enemies) it'll also make ice DPS more appealing.

What do you think, Wardens?

Edited by Savos_Saren on April 24, 2018 2:41AM
Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
Savos Saren
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this dead horse needs to be allowed to rest in peace. Frost staff is fine.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While i agree with the taunt being removed (so that it can be used by those who want to dps with it), i do like that its a defensive/ utility weapon for magicka.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I think this dead horse needs to be allowed to rest in peace. Frost staff is fine.

I also see that you don't play a MagWarden...
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭

Thank god people didn't listen to the dead horse argument (if we can even call it an argument) and continued to ask for 2h and staves to count as 2 set pieces. After a lot of "it's a dead horse", it finally happened.
  • FR0STDEE
    FR0STDEE
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny im a day one player and I use to use a frost staff before they put a taunt on it. Then they put the taunt on and it was unusable for me. I agree with going back to how it was but every time this discussion comes up I laugh. All of a sudden all these people that apparently use it come out of the wood works and start calling for the taunt to stay on. Seriously where are these players in game that use the frost taunt? I run dungeons daily and have never in all my time seen any tank use it. In pvp I never see anyone use it. Are you all to busy defending it in the forums to actually login and start tanking with it. I personally would love to see some magika frost warden dps in the game wielding a frost staff.
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Frost staff is not fine it sucks, but i don;t think a passive execute will be enough to put in in par with fire or shock.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play a tank warden, and I rather like my frost staff tyvm.

If you want to use the frost staff for dps, just avoid tri-focus and concede to the fact that you're going to have poor results because you're trying to use a tanking weapon in a damage role. It's no different than stamina dps trying to use 1h&shield for damage.

Nobody cared about frost dps until the option was taken away.
    Edited by Lynx7386 on April 24, 2018 1:43PM
    PS4 / NA
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting idea.
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. And to help make it more of a dps weapon, here is my suggestion.. enemies should take more damage overall when they have the frost effect on them. Makes sense because everything hurts more when you're cold. It's sad that you don't see ice mages running around.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ice DPS has existed since the beginning of the game... but there wasn’t a class that was viable for it until Wardens came out. There wasn’t many ice-oriented sets, either. (There still isn’t, really.)

But now people have the ability to run sets like Innate Axiom, Ysgramor, Winterborn, etc... to really beef up their ice damage. Loosing out on the tri-focus passive because of a passive taunt really limits anyone who would like to branch out frome fire and lightning damage.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I came here ready to defend ice staff as a supplemental tank weapon and...tbh, I've never *needed* the heavy attack taunt. If that passive was changed to a slight execute (start increasing damage at 50% health by 5% or so and cap at 10-15% more frost damage by 20% health) and NOTHING ELSE was changed...honestly, it'd be a good change.

Might even cut down on "I taunted?" pugs.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    I came here ready to defend ice staff as a supplemental tank weapon and...tbh, I've never *needed* the heavy attack taunt. If that passive was changed to a slight execute (start increasing damage at 50% health by 5% or so and cap at 10-15% more frost damage by 20% health) and NOTHING ELSE was changed...honestly, it'd be a good change.

Might even cut down on "I taunted?" pugs.

Yup. That’s pretty much my vision with it. ;)

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually use the frost staff taunt on a fairly often basis, and, since it's made to be a tanking weapon (to give the destro staff line some variety instead of three types of DPS), there shouldn't be any reason to get rid of the taunt. And like I've said before, if you need to heavy attack, use your other staff. There is bar swapping for a reason.

In summary:
    giphy.gif
    Edited by Marginis on April 24, 2018 3:13PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    I actually use the frost staff taunt on a fairly often basis, and, since it's made to be a tanking weapon (to give the destro staff line some variety instead of three types of DPS), there shouldn't be any reason to get rid of the taunt. And like I've said before, if you need to heavy attack, use your other staff. There is bar swapping for a reason.

In summary:
    giphy.gif

Agreed. I make frequent use of the heavy taunt.

Just last night for example, selenes web tanking selene. Frost heavy on occasion directed at the archer/healer adds meant I had a steady stream of projectiles coming so I could keep major heroism from shimmering shield going 100% of the time. Combined with minor heroism from heroic slash, I literally had like 80-90% uptime on healing thicket to keep everyone alive (we were running without a healer)

And that is just one of many situations where a free, ranged taunt that restores 4k magicka and gives me a 5k damage shield has proven useful.
    PS4 / NA
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasted passive. Oh let me just heavy attack these

I play a tank warden, and I rather like my frost staff tyvm.

If you want to use the frost staff for dps, just avoid tri-focus and concede to the fact that you're going to have poor results because you're trying to use a tanking weapon in a damage role. It's no different than stamina dps trying to use 1h&shield for damage.

Nobody cared about frost dps until the option was taken away.

Not true, I have always and still play around with ice blade builds. I don't think you get the argument though, which is funny for someone who is always making threads complaining about skills not working the way you want.

I don't think anyone wants to lose the block buff, just the taunt is useless. Change the taunt addition on heavy to something else.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, not an execute, but at least some passive penetration.
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

In summary:
    giphy.gif

Just last night for example, selenes web tanking selene. Frost heavy on occasion directed at the archer/healer adds meant I had a steady stream of projectiles coming so I could keep major heroism from shimmering shield going 100% of the time. Combined with minor heroism from heroic slash, I literally had like 80-90% uptime on healing thicket to keep everyone alive (we were running without a healer)

And that is just one of many situations where a free, ranged taunt that restores 4k magicka and gives me a 5k damage shield has proven useful.

Then make it so elemental susceptibility now taunts, and is still free plus gives the enemy major breach.

Ta-daaaaa!

*edited for clarity
    Edited by DocFrost72 on April 28, 2018 1:35AM
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In summary:
    giphy.gif

Elemental susceptibility now taunts, and is still free plus gives the enemy major breach.

Ta-daaaaa!

And now i have to use one of my already overwhelmed skill slots for a ranged taunt.

I don't think people, especially non tanks, understand the value of bar space in this game
    PS4 / NA
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Groupfinder is the only argument you need to realize that putting a taunt on an ice staff was a really questionable move.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The question is: how many people are tanking/taunting trials/vet DLC without using SNB? Frost staff only?

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is: how many people are tanking/taunting trials/vet DLC without using SNB? Frost staff only?

There have been a few frost staff only trials tanks done solely as proof of concept, but it typically works better as a supplementary/back bar weapon complimenting a 1h/shield set up.
    PS4 / NA
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka tanking should have been added with a new weapon and skill line, such as the often proposed "Alteration Staff", rather than by removing a DPS option. :|
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka tanking should have been added with a new weapon and skill line, such as the often proposed "Alteration Staff", rather than by removing a DPS option. :|

A new weapon would have required vastly more work, time, and money to develop (not to mention the need to research 9 traits again on a whole new weapon type for crafters). That's not a fiscally viable investment, especially not without limiting it to a chapter or dlc.

Zenimax took the best option from a business and development standpoint. There are bound to be players that disagree with that option.
    PS4 / NA
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

In summary:
    giphy.gif

Elemental susceptibility now taunts, and is still free plus gives the enemy major breach.

Ta-daaaaa!

And now i have to use one of my already overwhelmed skill slots for a ranged taunt.

I don't think people, especially non tanks, understand the value of bar space in this game

I am operating under the assumption the bolder wasn't aimed at me, feel free to correct me if I was included in that.

Absorb magic, pierce armor, green dragon blood, igneous shield, hardened armor/balance (depending on needs and environement), shield discipline/spell wall.

Unrelenting grip, inner fire (anyone actually morph this? I suppose increased synergy could be nice), wall of frost, choking talons, bone shield/overflowing altar, aggressive warhorn.

(Tag me if you play a different class, I do them all!)

And I would drop inner fire for a taunting, free to cast, minor breach giving ele sus every day of the week.

I guess now I'm curious what you have on your bar that I don't?
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Front bar (shield)
    Pierce
    Frozen device
    Heroic slash
    Leeching vines
    Shimmering shield
    Heading thicket / warhorn

Back bar (frost)
    Arctic blast
    Blockade
    Gripping shards
    Ice fortress
    Bull netch
    Permafrost

Having to slot a ranged taunt (if the heavy attack taunt were removed) would mean giving up cc, healing, or sustain/defense. Not a good decision to make
    PS4 / NA
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Front bar (shield)
    Pierce
    Frozen device
    Heroic slash
    Leeching vines
    Shimmering shield
    Heading thicket / warhorn

Back bar (frost)
    Arctic blast
    Blockade
    Gripping shards
    Ice fortress
    Bull netch
    Permafrost

Having to slot a ranged taunt (if the heavy attack taunt were removed) would mean giving up cc, healing, or sustain/defense. Not a good decision to make

Now you have me intrigued: why would you need leeching vines if you have an ult gen build focused around spamming trees? Surely you don't need vines with a dedicated healer, a free heal through netch, and polar winds during the downtime.

Maybe vet warrior? But even then you'd need trees or arctic (for the burst) over a 1600/s (granted plus modifiers) heal, or am I missing something? The resource management aspect of it perhaps? In best case scenario, this gives 2500 total resources for a 2700 base cost. Even in light armor the return would be....less than ideal, and for stam you have the netch.

I understand the frustration of having to re-arrange bars, but you'd certainly be gaining more than you lost to slot a ranged taunt you could rely on and block while using.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vines is there for sustain. Each time it heals you gain 500 magicka or stamina (whichever is lower). It also helps dps stay alive via minor lifesteal, and helps keep minor toughness from passives up.

The stamina return from bull netch alone isn't ebough to facilitate permablocking, and unlike dragon knights we can't just get a ton of resources back every time we pop an ultimate. I run a hybrid build with nearly 2k magicka recovery, so the cost of keeping vines active is minimal in comparison to the stamina return I get from it, especially on things like AA axes
    PS4 / NA
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "passive" execute is an awful concept, it just produces more pvp whine.
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    "passive" execute is an awful concept, it just produces more pvp whine.

Then let’s call it “A weak ass active execute from heavy attacks with a frost staff”

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren