Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Make AOEs Work Like Proxy Det to Loosen Up Ball Groups?

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Is it intended gameplay when 25+ players can ball-up together, all within 8 to 15 meter range of one another, and run around on top of each other while healing through everything and destro-ultimate training through anyone they want?

If it is intended gameplay, then why is it intended?

If it's not intended gameplay, then has any thought been given to making most AOE skills work like Proxy Det, with more damage done for each player hit? That would surely help loosen up ball groups and encourage smarter team play, right?

Edit: I had originally suggested less damage done and less healing done for people who are stacked up on one another, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that would devalue melee builds and overly-encourage ranged builds -- so I removed that idea.
Edited by GrumpyDuckling on April 23, 2018 1:32AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They used to have caps on the number of targets AOEs can affect.
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    They used to have caps on the number of targets AOEs can affect.

I've said all along adopting AoE caps was doing it backward. The AoE caps applied to limit a players damage regardless of how many friendlies were around. So a single player was capped just the same as someone in a 24 man ball group.

The healing and buff caps were somewhat more reasonable, but the effect was limited because (1) "smart healing" still focused that healing on the players in greatest need and (2) ball groups simply added another healer as needed.

The better approach, seems to me to be some type of 'pseudo-friendly fire' AoE damage limit. If x number of friendlies are within your AoE range, your damage is reduced by y. The number and amount of reduction could scale.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my own experience as a zerg surfer I would say that the cap removal has made killing ball groups a bit easier. While they are strong offensively when the drop their ulties their real strength is in healing. You can literally drop ulties on them without moving their health bars. I will wait and see what the new earthgore nerf does, and go from there. Baby steps, one at a time. Healing springs may need a look.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that Cyrodiil was originally designed for large scale battles and groups of 8 to 24 players, I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that its more or less intended gameplay.
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's intended and teamwork should always be a strong strategy.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vilestride wrote: »

I like the idea of teamwork, but not much strategy is involved in just stacking up on crown and spamming heals and ultimates.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's time to bring back dynamic ultimate, I agree!!!
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of teamwork, but not much strategy is involved in just stacking up on crown and spamming heals and ultimates.

Pretty much this.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think that's all it takes then you're doing it wrong.
    Edited by Vilestride on April 23, 2018 2:07AM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's all the strategy it takes....Not only is that all the strategy it takes they went out of their way to add multiple things to the game to make that strategy fool proof so even the dumbest person can achieve it.

I've yet to see a Ball group not rely on a crutch in this game given to them by ZoS....

• IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not needed? If you can't kill a large group of players with the changes already made, then you will never be able to kill them.

After recent AoE cap removal, in theory a 24 man is no stronger than a 6 man survivability wise, with the exception of retreating maneuvers and having access to a higher amount of negates. Other than that the only advantage they have is more damage / higher sustain. It's never been easier in ESO history to wipe a raid than it is now.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not needed? If you can't kill a large group of players with the changes already made, then you will never be able to kill them.

After recent AoE cap removal, in theory a 24 man is no stronger than a 6 man survivability wise, with the exception of retreating maneuvers and having access to a higher amount of negates. Other than that the only advantage they have is more damage / higher sustain. It's never been easier in ESO history to wipe a raid than it is now.

ya what? You proceed to list every advantage they have, even excluding healing and support tools which matter, yet suggest they are no stronger than a six man? I'm confused.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Goshua wrote: »

ya what? You proceed to list every advantage they have, even excluding healing and support tools which matter, yet suggest they are no stronger than a six man? I'm confused.

I said they are no stronger than a 6 man from a survivability perspective. As in, the amount of damage required to kill 6 players is the same to kill 24 players. And this thread was talking about increasing the damage.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removal of AoE caps have been a good change for this.

It's not perfect and more needs to be done, but it's absolutely clear to me certain "ball groups" who still stack in a single spot are getting rekt this patch, whereas the better ones have adapted and are more cognizant.

Please no artificial mechanics that have players fighting with different rules depending on the composition of their group. It's took us 4 years to get rid of that crummy system with the old AoE caps and have zero desire to go back to it.

Groups that still mindlessly stack on crown are definitely vulnerable and if ZoS ever gets around to adjusting Earthgore such that it's not so strong a DPS spec would wear it, we'll see further progress in this direction.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All the tools to feasibly combat ball groups are there; us pugstars don't really need anything else in our toolkit.

The issue for us pugstars is that we can't reliably deliver or set up the application of our tools. There are some outliers which do too much (i.e. retreating spam, earthgore). Retreating really just needs to get utterly gutted for the sake of PVP and earthgore needs to activate off direct heals only with potentially a cooldown redux to compensate.

Retreating is really the bane of my existence. Having to dedicate my consumable and a skill specifically to just keeping up with a great group is a bit too much of investment with too little payoff.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest nerf to ball groups will be silver leash, once people learn to use it effectively :)
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should share your Video again Sharee ;) ?
    Actually Silver Leash AND the current Inevitable Deto might even be too much.

Neither Grumpy nor 90% of the PvP players seem to know how vulnerable ball groups are even now. Every half decent 6 -men group can farm mediocre ball groups thrice their size.

More cries for weakening them are totally misplaced.
    Edited by Thraben on April 23, 2018 6:38AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna need a better definition of "ball group" here. I haven't seen an actual ball group since like a few months after launch. All the competitive or semi-competitive guilds like Drac, Fantasia, Iron Legion, and whoever don't actually stack close enough where you're going to hit more than like six of them with a single AoE. It may seem like you're going to hit 20 people with one big attack, but that's not actually a thing that is happening in the wild outside of a nightblade stealth-bombing the transitus shrine or people at a siege merchant/chilling on resource flags.

Watch some videos, look at how these groups move. Pause the video and try to estimate how many of them you'd hit at that specific moment if some particular AoE skill went off. Shalk, Proxy Det, Bombard, whatever. It hits far fewer than you might have initially thought, doesn't it? There are a few exceptions, like how you can get Destro to hit a bunch of people in a keep tower because it reaches vertically, or when they're running up some keep stairs and have little choice but to get stacked, but overall they're fighting far more spread out than people realize.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I beg to differ. People need to drop ultis at the right time, the group needs to move tightly on the crown, you need certain skills to operate (Rapids, purge, etc...) and everyone needs to be wearing decent gear.

I know this because as a leader of a large PvP guild it is constant work to make sure members are wearing decent gear, following the crown and doing what they are supposed to. It may look like chaos but it is highly organised.
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Dedimos
    Dedimos
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see any possible change that would force usual faction zergs (or lets use your definition: 25+ man ball) to spread out. Nothing changed after AOE caps removal, that only proves it. Also be careful with your suggestions: "Make AOEs Work Like Proxy Det to Loosen Up Ball Groups?" - this would cause new wave of "Nerf bomblade" threads :trollface:

Usually all these groups/guilds plaing "for the faction" dont mind stacking up with other groups and creating even 50+ formation. This can be seen often on EP side (EU Sotha Sil) - but of course every faction does that. And its not gonna change. They of course feel safer with big numbers around them. I think I saw many threads in the past how to "balance" it, and by far the best change suggested was making healing less effective when you are near X number of allies.

Still, its only balance suggestion - it wont change players behaviours - they still gonna stack up and run as 30-50 man groups.
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    Is it intended gameplay when 25+ players can ball-up together, all within 8 to 15 meter range of one another, and run around on top of each other while healing through everything and destro-ultimate training through anyone they want?

If it is intended gameplay, then why is it intended?

Yes, it is intended to use your intelligence to create an effective build or an effective raid composition to enhance the performance of your play style. That is pvp 101. Why? That's pretty straight forward. To increase your odds against the opposition. Evolution has created effective solo, small scale and large raid group builds/comps over time. It is natural for this type of behaviour to occur.

As to your assumption that these groups are invincible, this is false. There are plenty of counters to group play. One person with an effective counter build to organised groups can tear the group apart. I have tested this a number of times and can say that even the top teams can be broken with a good build.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make me laugh that in 2018, people still come up in forums with sentences such as "I like the idea of teamwork, but not much strategy is involved in just stacking up on crown and spamming heals and ultimates."

Not even worth justification. lol
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

That's all the strategy it takes....Not only is that all the strategy it takes they went out of their way to add multiple things to the game to make that strategy fool proof so even the dumbest person can achieve it.

I've yet to see a Ball group not rely on a crutch in this game given to them by ZoS....
    Ok, I must be doing something wrong while raid leading. :)
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be fun if Zos implemented some new aoe defense measures. I know in pve some enemies utilize exploding traps. Imagine if you could load a breach or choke point with exploding proximity traps. You could even have different types. Ones that snare and ones that explode.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    The biggest nerf to ball groups will be silver leash, once people learn to use it effectively :)

Meh. I do this with chains on my dk. All they do is mist form back to their group.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After earthgore nerf , the next logical step is to promote speed/mobilty for all. Always found out weird that smaller mobile forces can't outrun larger clumsy ones.

Once you can outrun the zerg, you won't need to complain about the Zerg.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Ulfgarde
    Ulfgarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to oversimplify how bomb groups work, then sure. You're absolutely right.

You seem to know what you're talking about.
    Very athletic eso player
    PC EU
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if all the people claiming “All you have to do is...” to run in a ball group have ever actually done it with any success. I’m guessing no.

My suggestion to them is to ask one of these groups if you can play with them sometime to see what it’s all about. If you keep an open mind about it, I’m sure you’ll see there’s a lot more going on than just spamming skills.

And then maybe, just maybe, you’ll come away with some knowledge of how your enemy operates to be able to defeat them instead of complaining about ball groups on the forums.
    Edited by Anrose on April 23, 2018 3:00PM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel one of the morphs of the new skill, Time Stop, will be very interesting with ball groups. The morph, Borrowed Time, negates 5000 points of healing received if the target is stunned. This should screw up ball groups a bit.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel one of the morphs of the new skill, Time Stop, will be very interesting with ball groups. The morph, Borrowed Time, negates 5000 points of healing received if the target is stunned. This should screw up ball groups a bit.

yeah and also you zerg bomb them so the are all dead in notime, considering whiel you are in teh bouble you cant move at all, cant doge roll, wich is cool :P
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n