The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PvP on this game is stupid

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I hate to be so blunt, but after experimenting in Cyrodil over the last week I'm left with no other conclusion.

Max resist + Impentrable = dead

Healing is useless if you are being attacked - as they will just stun you = dead - or simply hack you with massive damage until you run out of magicka = dead

The only skill on this game that seems to make me not = dead is mist form, of which costs too much to sustain. So all they have to do is chase you until you run out of magicka and then you = dead.

In short: this game's PvP is nothing more than a numbers game with people being burst to death and no way to counter it. At least not that I have found...unless there is some "special build" out there that actually allows you to live in an actual fight. And even then it's rather stupid - as anyone with max resist and plenty of impenetrable should not be able to die in a matter of seconds (if that).

When I have more fun fighting the PvE mobs in Cyrodil than I do actual other players then there's a problem with the quality of this game's PvP.

So I'm sorry to say I gave this game very low marks on PvP. It looked fun at first - with a massive area with plenty of objectives. But the actual core combat is just too lame for me to ever have any kind of fun in it. I suppose I may try some kind of block strategy next... where maybe I can sit there and just hold block when I"m attacked and live. But that really doesn't sound like much fun...
  • Stratforge
    Stratforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    /Mugatu voice

He's absolutely right!
    PC NA
    Xbox One NA (retired)
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PvP is awesome here . The only thing that ruins my fun is lag . Everything else is very enjoyable .
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    See, everyone has this problem. Some apparently have overcome it, since you die.

Maybe try to improve, so at some point you belong to the "I kill" part of pvp instead of the "I die" part.
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    I hate to be so blunt, but after experimenting in Cyrodil over the last week I'm left with no other conclusion.

Healing is useless if you are being attacked - as they will just stun you = dead - or simply hack you with massive damage until you run out of magicka = dead

The only skill on this game that seems to make me not = dead is mist form, of which costs too much to sustain. So all they have to do is chase you until you run out of magicka and then you = dead.

In short: this game's PvP is nothing more than a numbers game with people being burst to death and no way to counter it. At least not that I have found...unless there is some "special build" out there that actually allows you to live in an actual fight. And even then it's rather stupid - as anyone with max resist and plenty of impenetrable should not be able to die in a matter of seconds (if that).

When I have more fun fighting the PvE mobs in Cyrodil than I do actual other players then there's a problem with the quality of this game's PvP.

So I'm sorry to say I gave this game very low marks on PvP. It looked fun at first - with a massive area with plenty of objectives. But the actual core combat is just too lame for me to ever have any kind of fun in it. I suppose I may try some kind of block strategy next... where maybe I can sit there and just hold block when I"m attacked and live. But that really doesn't sound like much fun...

If you are outnumbered unless they are bad players you will die no matter your resist I recommend getting in a small group to practice your pvp and working on your build
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PvP is awesome here . The only thing that ruins my fun is lag . Everything else is very enjoyable .

I think it's safe to say the two of us have very different ideas about what is "awesome" and what is not. :)
  • Zendran
    Zendran
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say that this is just an issue of being new to PvP in a game that doesn't separate players by skill level. You have to take the time to practice. You wouldn't expect to start any normal activity and not be dominated at first by people who have worked to become better at that specific thing, so why would this be any different?

My advice would be to find a friend or guildmate who is more experienced in PvP that you can duel and be given advice by in order to get better at the basic mechanics of PvP.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »

If you are outnumbered unless they are bad players you will die no matter your resist I recommend getting in a small group to practice your pvp and working on your build

I'm really not seeing much incentive to "work on my build".

When you have max resist and impenetrable trait and still die in seconds then that frankly tells me all there is I need to know. Even when I stacked mp regen so I could spam mist form for a long while it still did not allow me to stay alive.... lol

So I doubt there is a "build" that is going to make PvP enjoyable. It's just a numbers game and gank fest as I alluded to. I suppose some may enjoy that - and if they do more power to them - but it's not my cup of tea. The PvE combat in Cyrodile is more interesting then the PvP combat is.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:01PM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When you have max resist and impenetrable trait and still die in seconds then that frankly tells me all there is I need to know. Even when I stacked mp regen so I could spam mist form for a long while it still did not allow me to stay alive.... lol

So I doubt there is a "build" that is going to make PvP enjoyable. It's just a numbers game and gank fest as I alluded to. I suppose some may enjoy that - and if they do more power to them - but it's not my cup of tea. The PvE combat in Cyrodile is more interesting then the PvP combat is...

See, the awesome part of pvp in this game is that slapping on the "BiS gear and skills" from some website doesn't make you good. Playing smart makes you good. Hence my advice from above.
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭

So I doubt there is a "build" that is going to make PvP enjoyable. It's just a numbers game and gank fest as I alluded to. I suppose some may enjoy that - and if they do more power to them - but it's not my cup of tea. The PvE combat in Cyrodile is more interesting then the PvP combat is.
    What class are you playing
  • Zendran
    Zendran
    ✭✭✭

When you have max resist and impenetrable trait and still die in seconds then that frankly tells me all there is I need to know. Even when I stacked mp regen and spamming mist form it still did not allow me to stay alive.... lol

So I doubt there is a "build" that is going to make PvP enjoyable. It's just a numbers game and gank fest as I alluded to. I suppose some may enjoy that - and if they do more power to them - but it's not my cup of tea. The PvE combat in Cyrodile is more interesting then the PvP combat is...

Stacking magicka regen does almost nothing to help you spam mist form; regen is deactivated while mist form is up. So if you spam it, you're not getting any magicka back at all.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

See, the awesome part of pvp in this game is that slapping on the "BiS gear and skills" from some website doesn't make you good. Playing smart makes you good. Hence my advice from above.

Well I"m glad you enjoy this game's PvP so much. I on the other hand think it's a stupid gank fest and I've seen nothing to indicate my opinion would change. Everyone else around me is dropping like flies as well.

So I don't think I'm the problem here.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zendran wrote: »

When you have max resist and impenetrable trait and still die in seconds then that frankly tells me all there is I need to know. Even when I stacked mp regen and spamming mist form it still did not allow me to stay alive.... lol

Stacking magicka regen does almost nothing to help you spam mist form; regen is deactivated while mist form is up. So if you spam it, you're not getting any magicka back at all.

It helps you get MP back in-between Mist Forms as you are trying to get away.

That is what was meant.

Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:10PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's safe to say the two of us have very different ideas about what is "awesome" and what is not. :)

That is fair and not everyone likes the same things . I am not trying to be a know it all or unsympathetic when I say a lot of what you are upset about sound like a lack of familiarity with PvP here .
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well I"m glad you enjoy this game's PvP so much. I on the other hand think it's a stupid gank fest and I've seen nothing to indicate my opinion would change. Everyone else around me is dropping like flies as well.

If that is your opinion, then you are most probably not suited for PvP in this game, you're right.

And you're playing with the wrong people, I think.
    Edited by Leandor on April 21, 2018 9:11PM
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also to you previous point the best way to survive fighting many people isn’t to stack resist and mist form it’s by killing them. You have to use your environment to line of sight select targets and kill them one by one . Keep your buffs up and make sure to heal not just spam mist form , it would also help to know what class you are playing
    Edited by Mihael on April 21, 2018 9:12PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also to you previous point the best way to survive fighting many people isn’t to stack resist and mist form it’s by killing them. You have to use your environment to line of sight select targets and kill them one by one . Keep your buffs up and make sure to heal not just spam mist form , it would also help to know what class you are playing

You're making my point for me.

It's all about who has the best offense and who ganks who first.

This game needs better defensive options. Not all of us enjoy an offensive style of play.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:17PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If that is your opinion, then you are most probably not suited for PvP in this game, you're right.

And you're playing with the wrong people, I think.

Yes, this is my opinion.

And it doesn't matter who I play with - it's the same result. Numbers game + gank fest. Even when we're winning it's lame.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:19PM
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭

This game needs better defensive options. Not all of us enjoy an offensive style of play.

So you want to kill people by holding block? Or do you even want to kill people? I’m not understanding what you are trying to say
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you want to kill people by holding block? Or do you even want to kill people? I’m not understanding what you are trying to say

I just want to have fun. Whether I kill people or not isn't the goal.

And Killing people isn't much fun if its boring and just involves slaughtering someone in a matter of seconds. I enjoy the actual back and forth of combat - not quickly killing someone before they can react - which is what PvP on this game amounts to. There is nothing fun about running around instant killing this person or that person - or being instant killed by this person or that person. Which is a fair description of this game's PvP combat.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:28PM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Killing people isn't much fun if its boring and just involves slaughtering someone in a matter of seconds. I enjoy the actual back and forth of combat - not quickly killing someone before they can react - which seems to be what PvP on this game amounts to.

So what you're saying is that you don't enjoy PvP because it is not fingerhakeln?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png
    Edited by Leandor on April 21, 2018 9:30PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Killing people isn't much fun if its boring and just involves slaughtering someone in a matter of seconds. I enjoy the actual back and forth of combat - not quickly killing someone before they can react - which seems to be what PvP on this game amounts to.

So what you're saying is that you don't enjoy PvP because it is not armwrestling?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

In a matter of speaking , I suppose.

It's not fun because it's always so overwhelming one way or the other. There is no back and forth or actual feel of combat. It's just pew pew your dead or pew pew I'm dead. Basically splat, splat, splat.

As I said - even when my group is winning and we're taking keeps and I'm killing people it's lame. Why anyone could find it fun I"ll never understand. But I guess many do.

Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:33PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started having fun in PVP when I joined up with a PVP guild that ran organized raid. They knew what they were doing and so I survived much longer when I played with them, felt like I could contribute more and more effectively, and managed to learn a lot about PVP in the process.

I'm still not all that great in a 1v1 fight because I played a group healer for a long time, but I've really enjoyed the PVP experience - which I never wouldve believed when I started ESO straight out of single-player Skyrim.

If its worth it to you, stick it out, maybe find a good PVP guild and practice. PVP has a steep learning curve. But if you know its not worth the time and effort for you, thats totally fine for you. I tried PVP and eventually learned to like it but I dont expect the same to be true of everyone. So people experience it, learn how to do it, and still dont like it much (same for PVE too.)
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fair enough.

You probably would have had less discussion and unappreciated advice, had you stated that in thread title. "PvP in this game does not fit with my expectations, so I won't participate anymore"
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started having fun in PVP when I joined up with a PVP guild that ran organized raid. They knew what they were doing and so I survived much longer when I played with them, felt like I could contribute more and more effectively, and managed to learn a lot about PVP in the process.

I'm still not all that great in a 1v1 fight because I played a group healer for a long time, but I've really enjoyed the PVP experience - which I never wouldve believed when I started ESO straight out of single-player Skyrim.

If its worth it to you, stick it out, maybe find a good PVP guild and practice. PVP has a steep learning curve. But if you know its not worth the time and effort for you, thats totally fine for you. I tried PVP and eventually learned to like it but I dont expect the same to be true of everyone. So people experience it, learn how to do it, and still dont like it much (same for PVE too.)

Usually in PvP on games I create a defensive or mobile healer who specializes on assisting allies and avoiding death if I'm engaged. That seems impossible on this game because offensive strategies dominate.

That's my issue. So I don't really blame these posters for saying the best defense is a good offense. That certainly seems to be case. This game generally tends to favor damage-oriented characters, especially in PvP.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 9:48PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually in PvP on games I create a defensive or mobile healer who specializes on assisting allies and avoiding death if I'm engaged. That seems impossible on this game because offensive strategies dominate.

That's my issue.

Ive got a group healer that I play with my group and I, well let me be completely honest here, I zerg-surf with when I'm not with my raid. She's a MagDK with a resto staff, so pretty tanky and good at group healing, but not as healing oriented as a templar.

In the early days when I did a lot of zerg-surfing, I got tanky. I mean, Plague Doctor and 40k health because that let me survive better. Healing non-organized players (the zerg) takes a lot of alertness and awareness of how the battle is going. I died a lot while I was learning when to jump off the walls, when we were gonna get overrun anyway, and when we were,winning so I could press forward. Generally, I still died in a 1v1 fight, because PVP healing is more about healing proactively instead of sheer burst.

From that experience, I learned how to move on the battlefield, how to heal and not overextend, and got to the point that I'm now in light armor again, 28k health and doing even better than I was in my newbie Plague Doctor. But when I was new, I really needed that health cushion, in order to live long enough to understand the battle, what tactics worked and what tactics didn't.

If you want to be a defensive or mobile healer, I really recommend looking for a PVP group or guild. I started to learn to heal disorganized players. Healing organized groups is much, much more fun and easier since you are supporting and healing your group and they are helping to defend you. Organized groups always need good healers and IMO its more rewarding than healing the zerg.
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practice + Skill (From Practice) = Not Dead.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's my issue.

Ive got a group healer that I play with my group and I, well let me be completely honest here, I zerg-surf with when I'm not with my raid. She's a MagDK with a resto staff, so pretty tanky and good at group healing, but not as healing oriented as a templar.

In the early days when I did a lot of zerg-surfing, I got tanky. I mean, Plague Doctor and 40k health because that let me survive better. Healing non-organized players (the zerg) takes a lot of alertness and awareness of how the battle is going. I died a lot while I was learning when to jump off the walls, when we were gonna get overrun anyway, and when we were,winning so I could press forward. Generally, I still died in a 1v1 fight, because PVP healing is more about healing proactively instead of sheer burst.

From that experience, I learned how to move on the battlefield, how to heal and not overextend, and got to the point that I'm now in light armor again, 28k health and doing even better than I was in my newbie Plague Doctor. But when I was new, I really needed that health cushion, in order to live long enough to understand the battle, what tactics worked and what tactics didn't.

If you want to be a defensive or mobile healer, I really recommend looking for a PVP group or guild. I started to learn to heal disorganized players. Healing organized groups is much, much more fun and easier since you are supporting and healing your group and they are helping to defend you. Organized groups always need good healers and IMO its more rewarding than healing the zerg.

This reinforces my complaint. Any skilled offensive player is going to be able to eat someone for breakfast if they attempt to play defensive and keep themselves alive through heals unless they have an organized team to depend on. Because there really is no effective defensive strategy that I have found or seen that involves healing or defense. Both are just too easy to counter by a well-executed offense.

Maybe before they nerfed immovable I might could have came up with something using an ice staff to block with combined with Desert Rose and Syrabane. That was something I was considering. But I really just don't see that working either as they would likely just stun and burst dead..

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resistance is the worst method of damage mitigation in PvP.

It's very expensive (opportunity cost) and isn't very reliable (i.e. opponents' penetration)

Best mitigation:

Block with SnB
    Dodge Roll

These two are close to each other. Dodge roll would be the best if it wasn't for undodgeable attacks. Block via SnB will reduce almost everything to 20% or less of its damage.

Then you have Shields which scale poorly to players, being very effective against a lone combatant

Then heals - i.e. BoL with a crit can be worth 10k and resistance - defile can destroy heals and resistance can be potentially mitigated.

If you're running a bunch of resistance and impen, I bet you're not sustaining well at all.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    Practice + Skill (From Practice) = Not Dead.

Nah.

You are going to die no matter how much practice and skill you have. :)
    Edited by Jeremy on April 21, 2018 10:17PM
  • Schallen
    Schallen
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty bad at PVP myself, but I've seen myself getting better and better from practice. You can't just slap on gold gear and expect to kill everyone. More importantly, you have to pick your battles. If you jump into a 4 v 1 you're going to have a bad time.
    Schallen

Class: Nightblade

Role: DPS

Favorite Movie: The Notebook

Ideal Date: A long walk on the beach followed by a goodnight kiss

Interested In: Women