The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Let us choose where to start a new character

Ashnarug
Ashnarug
✭✭✭
Now that we have a new Chapter, please give us the option to choose where we want to start the game. Let us choose if we want to start in Seyda Neen or Shimmerene, or even in Coldharbour.
During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • Marisana
    Marisana
    ✭✭✭
    If this could be an option that players can select upon character creation, I'd very much love that as well!

Out of all the tutorials I like the Morrowind one the best, and I'd be very sad to see it go as soon as Summerset rolls out.

• Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^THIS
  • Mixith
    Mixith
    ✭✭✭
    This is something i would love to have!
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, Morrowind felt wrong. Sure you can travel out to started town - but its clunky.

Just allow choice - Original, Morrowing, Summerset (yuck)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes please!

(although this was requested when Morrowind was on the PTS without success)
  • nordic_two
    Definitely. I dont want my characters to start in Morrowind, or Summerset. (especially Summerset since that puts you midway along a story line that starts in Morriwnd) There should be a choice during character creation.
    Edited by nordic_two on April 20, 2018 3:53PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree there should be a choice
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Definitely should be a choice.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • schattenkind
      schattenkind
      ✭✭✭
      Agree on that (for no special reason, just coz it sounds reasonable)
      PC - EU
      Primary: PvP: magSorc, magNB, PvE: DK Tank, Templar Heal
      Secondary: PvP: magDK, Templar, PvE: Warden something
    • Darlon
      Darlon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes please..
    • Ashnarug
      Ashnarug
      ✭✭✭
      bumping up ..
      During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
      In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
    • Gythral
      Gythral
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Yes please
      with the option to start any of them later on any character that has not done them
      “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
      Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
      Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    • Ashryn
      Ashryn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Definitely agree with this!!!
    • ladyrio1b14_ESO
      Very much agree with this statement. Please give that as an option during character creation. Please, please, please.
    • Rydik
      Rydik
      ✭✭✭✭
      I want tutorials to become first quest of chapters, so you can play every single one of them just like normal quests...
    • RaddlemanNumber7
      RaddlemanNumber7
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes, I would like to have the choice, because I would always choose Coldharbour. That is because I need the whole "vestige" thing to help me rationalise the way my character can just respawn after being killed. The Vvardenfell and Summerset do not provide that rationale, and I find it very unsatisfying.
      PC EU
    • Mix
      Mix
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I would love if everyone travelling to the new chapters had to do a version of the tutorial.

For instance, when you travel to Morrowind for the first time you get the sailing cinematic and breakout Firemoth island stuff - for non-new characters there doesn't need to be tutorial steps just the story elements. Be great to have the dialogue with her if you have quested with her in the past:P

While i liked the Shadowy person and the coldharbour intro - maybe everyone should start with that one (get your soul stolen and all that) and THEN in the room where you wake up, have something that asks the player if they wish to voyage to Morrowind (accepting the quest will start the Morrowind intro on the sailing ship) or Summerset (accepting the quest will port you into the Mind Trap).

I know you don't want to gate people but honestly these little intros don't take long at all - especially on a veteran player and they set up the story so nicely.

I know it is probably unlikely due to cost/time etc but if you say, travelled by magic portal to Summerset and your journey was interupted by the Sload and you got stuck in the Mind Trap - the little cinematic would be appreciated and your portal was diverted so you landed in the ruin near Shimmerene!
    • axxlesoft_ESO
      axxlesoft_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      Having a choice is a good idea although I like the setup they have now. I started a new character, did the summerset tutorial, then I traveled to the city of Daggerfall, and the game tricked me into doing the original Coldharbour intro. I lost my soul! Strange NPC's approached me and told me to go to a house in Daggerfall; the next thing I know, Mannimarco is Slaying me! It was epic.
    • DaveMoeDee
      DaveMoeDee
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I just want to be able to start with the one that gives an extra skill point!
    • Mystrius_Archaion
      Mystrius_Archaion
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have wanted this as well, but there is a currently a related bug on the PTS it seems.
      I wanted to start a new character and chose to go into the tutorial, but it instead put me directly in Shimmerene. I didn't get to see the new tutorial.

I only tried one character, but I should try another to find out if it happens every time.
    • Enodoc
      Enodoc
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Mix wrote: »
      I would love if everyone travelling to the new chapters had to do a version of the tutorial.

For instance, when you travel to Morrowind for the first time you get the sailing cinematic and breakout Firemoth island stuff - for non-new characters there doesn't need to be tutorial steps just the story elements. Be great to have the dialogue with her if you have quested with her in the past:P
      Completely agree. It would make things a lot more cohesive if everyone had the same experience.
      UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
      Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    • Jaddman
      Jaddman
      ✭✭✭
      I agree. Starting on Vvardenfell felt very weird, and out of place, when you got to the mainland.

There's also some characters, which appear on Vvardenfell, but don't seem to acknowledge you when encountered in the base game locations.

And it's not like you skip The Wailing Prison by starting in Morrowind. In fact, you can't skip it at all. You can level up to 50 without even talking to the Benefactor, and then you'll still be forced to do it.

I get where ZOS coming from, and the new tutorials are indeed more streamlined, but with more emphasis on player's choice after One Tamriel, I feel like this is the prime example of where this choice is necessary.
    • Imryll
      Imryll
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If I could, I'd choose Coldharbour every time, just because it introduces you to the main quest line. While they have tutorials I don't think that either Summerset or Morrowind offers an effective starting area. If others prefer to start in a chapter zone, great, but I'd prefer to opt out.
    • Mixith
      Mixith
      ✭✭✭
      Rydik wrote: »
      I want tutorials to become first quest of chapters, so you can play every single one of them just like normal quests...

This too!
    • Ashnarug
      Ashnarug
      ✭✭✭
      Imryll wrote: »
      If I could, I'd choose Coldharbour every time, just because it introduces you to the main quest line. While they have tutorials I don't think that either Summerset or Morrowind offers an effective starting area. If others prefer to start in a chapter zone, great, but I'd prefer to opt out.

I agree.

By starting in Coldharbour it legitimize the fact that we cannot die again and validate the use of the wayshrines (don't remember the exact explanation but it had to do with the fact that we have resurrected).

Once we absorb the initial skyshard in Coldharbour and jump behind the Prophet we should get a selection screen giving us the choice of where to continue ... main quest in the starter island, Firemoth Island or in the Eldbur Ruins. Keeping them as first part of their storyline.

And the selection screen should be expanded with every future chapters.

Just have to get rid of the hooded figure ... or maybe not. Keep the hooded figure and let us gain NO XP until we end up in Coldharbour.
      There's also some characters, which appear on Vvardenfell, but don't seem to acknowledge you when encountered in the base game locations.

Haven't gone very far in Summerset yet but I have found a letter from Veya... maybe we will find her sometimes...
    • Aeschere3
      Aeschere3
      ✭✭✭
      I would love it if we could choose the starting location for new characters. When I bought the game with Morrowind I wanted to start in Coldharbor, nor Firemoth Island.
      ZOS please give Maormer skin
    • Mystrius_Archaion
      Mystrius_Archaion
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ashnarug wrote: »
      Once we absorb the initial skyshard in Coldharbour and jump behind the Prophet we should get a selection screen giving us the choice of where to continue ... main quest in the starter island, Firemoth Island or in the Eldbur Ruins. Keeping them as first part of their storyline.

And the selection screen should be expanded with every future chapters.

That actually is a great idea and would be fairly easy for them to implement. It may not even require the choice to be in the game after coldharbour though as they could just have you choose while creating but still send you to coldharbour with the same result of "spitting you back out" at the chosen location.

@ZOS_RichLambert Can we get this done? It wouldn't require any dialog changes to the main quest or other base game content and just a little to chapter content.

We would have to explain how you get on the ship on the way to Vvardenfell for Morrowind, but that is easy when the Aldmeri Dominion and Daggerfall covenant quests already mention ships fishing you out of the ocean. Just alter the first guy who sits at the table with you on the ship before it crashes to mention that they picked the player character up.
    • EvilCroc
      EvilCroc
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Vvardenfell and Summerset beginnings ruin all storyline. There should be one and only Coldharbour start.
      BUT, I like the tutorial quests of Morrowind and Summerset. There should be option for already existing characters to play them through.
    • AefionBloodclaw
      AefionBloodclaw
      ✭✭✭✭
      This should definitely be in the game!
      'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
      Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
    • Kadica
      Kadica
      ✭✭✭
      Agree.