The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

So ZOS just sent me this survey ...

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I find the timing impeccable, after this prolonged debate/talk yesterday , initiated by @Turelus , I went to work today to see a mail in my private mail inbox asking me to do a survey on ESO for ZOS. Sure, I don't mind, I leave lots of feedback and opinions here on the forums about the game anyway.

Well, there were about 2 pages of questions about the game itself, what I thought about exploration, PvP and so on, and then it was another 15 pages or so asking me about the Crown Store, what got me to visit the store, if I had ever bought crates, what would get me to buy crates in the future, what preorder bonuses from Chapters that I value the most etc etc. Uhm... priorities people? Do you run an online game with an ingame shop attached, or do you run an online RPG themed store with a gameplay appendix? In either case, it's pretty clear that this wasn't as much a survey about the game itself, as a survey about the crown store and the monetisation aspect of the game.

Here's some of my answers:

difbWUO.jpg?1

cAKvgJA.jpg?1

hsl7qp5.jpg?1

Which pretty much echoes my posts in the thread from yesterday as well, and other threads about the crown store in which I have participated. Considering that this opinion seems to be shared by at least quite a lot of other people here, here's hoping that enough of them will follow suit and let ZOS know what we feel about the current state of their crown shop and general focus on monetization. Will it change? Doubtfully, but at least it will give them the data, and as I also filled out on the survey, there's a real possibility of me discontinuing my relationship with ZOS and ESO in the near future if they keep up the current direction of monetisation and treating ESO as an online virtual merchandise store with a secondary game attached as an appendix.
Edited by Carbonised on April 18, 2018 11:02AM
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have an awesome.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol elder crown crates online. If zos releases undaunted gear outfit cosmetics and maomer motif cosmetics as crown crate exclusives I am surely gonna vote with my wallet and refuse to buy anything from the crown store
    Edited by Aliyavana on April 18, 2018 8:16AM
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the survey encouraging. If ZOS had no intention of making changes why would they do such a survey. I have not gotten that survey unfortunately, but maybe if they get enough feedback they will act on it.

They once did a survey about the leveling experience and later released One Tamriel. Maybe they will make changes here as well. Crown store is not going away but hopefully they get good feedback from the survey.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Lol elder crown crates online

I should have taken some screenshots of all the detailed questions about crown crates. Like, "please rate from 1-3 how important is it when you buy crates that you see others having gotten some cool stuff from them" or "when you consider to buy a mount/house, how important is it that the mount/house is exclusive and rare".

Some of it seemed rather insidious, letting ZOS marketing department know exactly which buttons to push and which levers and gears to turn to maximize profits even further through sales.

Unfortunately for them, I don't give a hoot about exclusivity or rarity, as pretty much the only factor that decides whether I'm buying something or not (apart from the price), is whether it fits my character and the idea I have for them, so it can be as rare and exclusive as they want, and it doesn't matter a thing to me if it doesn't fit my character. Don't really mind letting them know that in a survey.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is for you sir. Job well done!
    giphy.gif

Now to see if I have a survey.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've also got a survey :)
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hm, I hope I'll get one as well since I haven't even opened the free crates...
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I completed this survey the other day, and I agree with the OP that it was basically an exercise in finding out how they could make more money from the Crown Store without upsetting anyone.

Be careful when answering it, as you can't go back to previous pages or cancel and start again.

• Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tandor wrote: »
      I agree with the OP that it was basically an exercise in finding out how they could make more money from the Crown Store without upsetting anyone.

Exactly. And thinly veiled as a "general game experience" survey, while it was clearly the store, crates and preorders that was the focus. A bit distasteful. At least they got my honest opinion on the state of their store, and I hope others will give them theirs too.
    • DaiKahn
      DaiKahn
      ✭✭✭✭
      Astrid_V wrote: »
      I've also got a survey :)

Same, about four or five days ago :)
      I'm just a man
      Hail Sithis
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Carbonised wrote: »
      Tandor wrote: »
      I agree with the OP that it was basically an exercise in finding out how they could make more money from the Crown Store without upsetting anyone.

Exactly. And thinly veiled as a "general game experience" survey, while it was clearly the store, crates and preorders that was the focus. A bit distasteful. At least they got my honest opinion on the state of their store, and I hope others will give them theirs too.
      ZeniMarketing Online. :trollface:
      "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    • Marabornwingrion
      Marabornwingrion
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Anyway, it took me AN HOUR to complete it - and they said it will take 10 minutes :joy:

Maybe because they had no idea that I'm going to write huge wall of texts there :joy:

I'm quite disappointed about many questions about Crown Store, and not enough questions about overall gameplay issues.

And last questions were very personal and I'm not sure what they want to do with informations like if I'm single or no, if I have children or no... :confused:

Well, I hope my survey will be read carefully!
    • JD2013
      JD2013
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Oh I want them to send me a survey ...
      Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
      Order of Sithis
      The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
      https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Anyway, it took me AN HOUR to complete it - and they said it will take 10 minutes :joy:

Maybe because they had no idea that I'm going to write huge wall of texts there :joy:

I'm quite disappointed about many questions about Crown Store, and not enough questions about overall gameplay issues.

And last questions were very personal and I'm not sure what they want to do with informations like if I'm single or no, if I have children or no... :confused:

Well, I hope my survey will be read carefully!

It's about demographics. They want to differentiate who you are, at least somewhat, based on your age, sex and family info. Why do you think Facebook earns so many billions selling your personal info ;) It's what the marketing people need to tailor their products and commercials specifically to you.

And yes, this wasn't really a survey about ESO the game, it was about ESO the cash shop, and what might increase your visits to the cash shop, and tempt you to buy more things from it.

I didn't write too much text, especially because I think the options that represented me were already present in the polls (like I have ticked off in the pictures above), it shows to me that at least they know why some people are negative towards their cash shop, as they should know from the many, long threads about recent trends in their monetizations. It just shows that they have ignored that knowledge up until now, probably because their bottom line shows different. So they know that people are negative and complain, but still grab their wallet and spend the money.

I don't know what this recent survey is an expression of, perhaps they see people spending less money than before? Judging from the PTS, it doesn't seem like they want to go in another direction anyway. They keep adding stuff to the crates, they keep pushing their cash shop aggressively on us, now with crown crate exclusive motifs cut up in pieces and served to us through gambling. So I don't really see their marketing department going in any other direction from the last 2 years' of monetisations or so, which makes me wonder why they even do polls like these, when they obviously ignore the negative feedback and do what they please anyway.
    • Marabornwingrion
      Marabornwingrion
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      JD2013 wrote: »

Then you need to complain more on forums, like we do. ;)
      Edited by Marabornwingrion on April 18, 2018 10:04AM
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      JD2013 wrote: »

Then you need to complain more on forums, like we do. ;)

I wonder if they sent out the surveys completely at random, or if they selected people based on some criteria, such as prior spending in the cash shop. In that case, @Turelus should get his any time now :lol:
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I haven't got one yet.
      Considering how opinionated I am and how I love to spew such opinions all over these forums I am pretty sure they know how I feel. :joy:
    • Beardimus
      Beardimus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of it seemed rather insidious, letting ZOS marketing department know exactly which buttons to push and which levers and gears to turn to maximize profits even further .

Why on earth is that a problem?

It's no shock that big profit driven companies operate a decent CRM model / targeting pricing strategy. In fact its a core goal and of course will be reflected in any surveying they do

I'm unsure why the surprise. They aren't holistic gatekeepers to a magical land, they are selling games for a profit, inventing lore as a marketing ploy to attract customers. And that's all quite normal...
      Xbox One | EU | EP
      Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
      Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
      1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
      Alts - - for the Lolz
      Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
      Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
      Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
      Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
      Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
      Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
      Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
      Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
      Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Beardimus wrote: »

Some of it seemed rather insidious, letting ZOS marketing department know exactly which buttons to push and which levers and gears to turn to maximize profits even further .

It's no shock that big profit driven companies operate a decent CRM model / targeting pricing strategy. In fact its a core goal and of course will be reflected in any surveying they do

I'm unsure why the surprise. They aren't holistic gatekeepers to a magical land, they are selling games for a profit, inventing lore as a marketing ploy to attract customers. And that's all quite normal...

You know what, I'm pretty fed up arguing with people like you who represent this point of view.

Yes, I live in this magical fairy tale land where you can actually still earn decent money while having a business model that isn't based on exploitative and predatory practises.

Feel free to share this post on Facebook, along with all the rest of your personal information, as you say, it's quite normal, and everyone else does it, so what's the problem ...
    • JD2013
      JD2013
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Beardimus wrote: »

Yes, but there is a line to be drawn between an MMO with a cash shop in it and a cash shop with an MMO in it.

ESO is dangerously edging towards the latter. I play ESO because it is Elder Scrolls. Not because I need their store fluff pushed in my face every time I log in or log out. People know where the CS is. We don't need full screen adverts to tell us.
      Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

Elder of The Black
      Order of Sithis
      The Runners

• SantieClaws
      SantieClaws
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ah this one she received the same yes.

The answers also were almost identical ...

Perhaps we share a strange mental bond, a powerful link from another lifetime, an unknown ancestral connection?

Or perhaps the crates and the store are actually not always so good.

Yours with paws
      Santie Claws
      Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
      Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    • MornaBaine
      MornaBaine
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Man I hope I get this survey. Though my opinion is right in line with the OP's. So yes Zeni, many of us really hate your cash shop, especially the gamble boxes, the shoddy costumes with defects you never fix, the limited time items, the items you can ONLY get in the gamble boxes, and the absolute insanity that inspires your pricing. It's not that I don't WANT to give you money over and above my subscription... it's that I would like to actually be offered the products I and many others have repeatedly asked for and to be able to pay a straight price for them rather than gambling for them... and have that price not be ridiculous. I'd buy a lot MORE if there were things I actually WANTED and I didn't feel like I was being ripped off with every transaction.

• Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      As for those people who always parrot the same old and trite "it's a business, they're supposed to make money", well, I don't know about you, but I do mind having my online game experience turning into something like this

2970049-5544774258-Scree.png
      Edited by Carbonised on April 18, 2018 10:45AM
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Perhaps we share a strange mental bond, a powerful link from another lifetime, an unknown ancestral connection?

I prefer this option though, Santie. Come over here and gimme a hug, you old fluffball ;)
    • JD2013
      JD2013
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      As for those people who always parrot the same old and trite "it's a business, they're supposed to make money", well, I don't know about you, but I do mind having my online game experience turning into something like this

2970049-5544774258-Scree.png

Oh hell no.
      Sweetrolls for all!

Elder of The Black
      Order of Sithis
      The Runners

• huschdeguddzje
      huschdeguddzje
      ✭✭✭✭
      Pretty much answered the same as you did, here's to hoping
    • SantieClaws
      SantieClaws
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer this option though, Santie. Come over here and gimme a hug, you old fluffball ;)

Cat hugs!

Enjoy all of the hair yes - shared freely! Also the slightly wet nose.

Yours with paws n hugs
      Santie Claws
      Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
      Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    • themaddaedra
      themaddaedra
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I must actually thank you as i didn't notice receiving a survey until i saw this. Gonna do my own share :)
      PC|EU
    • Pixel_Zealot
      Pixel_Zealot
      ✭✭✭✭
      giphy.gif

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?
    • Violynne
      Violynne
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Here's some of my answers:
      Color me surprised. :/

Unfortunately, my inbox does not have a survey, so I'll do one based on the screenshots you provided, because ZoS deserves better replies. Here's hoping my response is more reflective of actual players and we can crush those "33" awesomes into Oblivion.

In general, how satisfied are you with the your experience using the Crown Store?
      Somewhat unsatisfied

Earlier you indicated you feel like you must spend money within the game to have fun. Which of the statements below describe why? Select all that apply.
      The best in-game items are only available for purchase in the Crown Store

Earlier you said that you are somewhat unsatisfied with your Crown Store experience. Why not? Please select all that apply.
      There are not enough items available for purchase
      Items are often only available for a short period of time
      Other (Please specify) - As an ESO+ member, I'm appalled I cannot buy the most popular items from the Crown Store directly. The Crown Crate system is an insult to those few who have carried the non-paying members for 4 years. As an ESO+ member, I should have direct access to ALL ITEMS OFFERED IN THE CROWN STORE as a direct purchase, not hidden behind a system designed as RNG but is in fact a limited, timer countdown implementation many players don't even know exists.

ZoS has every right to implement a revenue system as they see fit, but to intentionally block ESO+ members from direct access is not a solution I believe in. If ZoS is worried about members who'd sub just to get the item, then cancel, a system to lock those items behind the ESO+ membership can be implemented (as is with the craft bag).

In addition, the pricing model for ZoS seems to be derived from wherever the dart lands on the payment board. The price fluctuation between mounts is ridiculous. Either cast all at 2500 Crowns or 5000 Crowns. Stop with this ridiculous model based on what you feel people will "pay" to get it.

If you don't learn from these lessons soon, I suggest you take a look at Activision's "vision" for Destiny/Destiny 2, and then focus on how many players have walked away from the game, leaving only the few "diehard" left who will never be enough to sustain the franchise.

ZoS is a business. I get that. But stop treating me like I'm made of money willing to throw it away on a chance.

I should be treated better than that.

Seriously, now I really want this survey to hit my inbox.

Edited by Violynne on April 18, 2018 12:01PM
    This discussion has been closed.