The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Your Jester Event Wasn't Fun

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Going 0 for 74 on repeatable, mind-numbingly boring quests while enduring load-screens and waiting for NPCs to render all for it to end without a sniff of Dubious Camoran Throne makes for a pathetic experience. Oh, and 100,000 of my gold in someone else's pocket because you decided to lock access to an important stamina recipe behind a limited time, once a year event was a great parting middle-finger.

I don't get why people who make games continue to value RNG over all else. Come up with some middle-ground that combines RNG luck with grinding accomplishment (tokens, for instance). It feels good to get lucky, and if you don't then it also feels good to accomplish something you've worked towards. Implement both in instances like this so all players can actually enjoy your events.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed on all accounts...

The question is, for most of these repeatable events, what would actually be fun?

The RNG system will continue to suck, and that's how ZOS likes it. What "player cfeedback oalition" will get them to change their minds? At least a token system would limit the relative suffering for content grinds, but maybe the grind it's self is what ZOS considered endgame, and fears player loss?
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My jester event was loads of fun. I bought new costumes, reevaluated some of my characters and leveled new skills, enjoyed revisiting the Jester Kings-and-Queen, and chatted the whole way through it.

I'm sorry you found it frustrating.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going 0 for 74 on repeatable, mind-numbingly boring quests while enduring load-screens and waiting for NPCs to render all for it to end without a sniff of Dubious Camoran Throne makes for a pathetic experience. Oh, and 100,000 of my gold in someone else's pocket because you decided to lock access to an important stamina recipe behind a limited time, once a year event was a great parting middle-finger.

I don't get why people who make games continue to value RNG over all else. Come up with some middle-ground that combines RNG luck with grinding accomplishment (tokens, for instance). It feels good to get lucky, and if you don't then it also feels good to accomplish something you've worked towards. Implement both in instances like this so all players can actually enjoy your events.

Name checks out.

On a side note, I picked up several of these recipes for under 50k.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »
    My jester event was loads of fun. I bought new costumes, reevaluated some of my characters and leveled new skills, enjoyed revisiting the Jester Kings-and-Queen, and chatted the whole way through it.

I would have loved to have shared in that experience. I was trying to get one single Dubious Camoran and then enjoy the festival, but instead I spent most of my time that was available repeating those quests.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Jester Event was fun. I got all I need - new memento, tent pattern and 2 coffers doing all quests on 3 characters, on the very first day of the event. Other days I had fun listening to jokes and playing with my fireworks and rose petals. I was a "taxi" to Skywatch and College. I did the Auridon quest once again because a new player who just stepped on Vvardenfell land wanted to take part in event and had no idea how to do it - I took him to Auridon and we did the quest togehter. It was fun. And I got DCT recipe, though I don't need it. I gave it to my guildmate today as a present. Nice and fun event for me.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about your bad RNG OP. I ended up with a million gold loss for this event. I found 7 Dubious Camoran Throne recipes. I withdrew my stack from my bank, split 2 from it to give to my GM as a raffle donation, put the other five back in the bank and 'poof', they disappeared. I submitted a bug report, but doubt I'll get them back. :'(

@ZOS_GinaBruno

I stand corrected...thank you Cindy! :p
    vnYKpTy.png

Edited by Enemy-of-Coldharbour on April 2, 2018 7:37PM
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »

Name checks out.

On Xbox here. Cheapest I could find today at a guild trader was listed at 95k.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've never been a big fan of the Jester event. Mostly because of the quests themselves. I'm fine with running them for the achievements, but gating the boxes behind those three, and only those three, is rough.

With both the Jester festival, and with New Life, I really wish there was a way to collect boxes outside of just the event's quests.

I mean, to be fair, I actually like the quests in both. The problem is they quickly wear out their welcome, if you're trying to collect everything.
  • Mephisto939
    Mephisto939
    ✭✭✭✭
    agreed on all accounts...

The question is, for most of these repeatable events, what would actually be fun?

The RNG system will continue to suck, and that's how ZOS likes it. What "player cfeedback oalition" will get them to change their minds? At least a token system would limit the relative suffering for content grinds, but maybe the grind it's self is what ZOS considered endgame, and fears player loss?

i prefer the events where you get rewarded for stuff you want to do. Like the dungeon and pvp events. Jester and New Life gave us 2 years of the same mind-numbing events.
    Why did the Dunmer cross the road?
    Apparently to get stuck in an eternal load screen!
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, ZoS needs to do some self reflection: why do you even run an event? Is it to frustrate your players? Or is it to motivate players to return and give some fun to existing players?

In addition, stop with the *** magicka favoritism. How is it ok that DCT is selling for 100k (soon to be 2, 3 hundred plus) immediately after the event? AND the equivalent magicka recipe is going for 5k? Wtf is that garbage?

I ran 4 chars every day. 52 runs I got 1 DCT recipe, so at l ast I got the achievement on my main and can make the drink but that is really bad drop rate. I have multiple witchmothers potent Brew recipes in my bank and only participated with one character for that event (stopped after getting all the achievements).
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up the Dubious Camoran Throne recipe last year for either 10k or 12k from a buddy. He was selling them dirt cheap to friends and guildies. Looking back, I wonder if he was aware of how valuable this recipe would end-up being in the future. I’m appreciative for his discounted price regardless.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only concern as last year was the locking of the EP questline behind stealing, which meant that my "lawful good" characters can't get all the achievements.

However, while I only did the AD questline about four times, and the DC questline twice, leaving the EP questline untouched this year, I did get three Dubious Camoran Throne recipes plus a couple of jesters coffers so I wasn't disappointed overall, especially as I didn't have time to do much anyway. An extra day or two outside a Bank Holiday Weekend would have been nice!

I do tend to agree, however, that festival events are intended to be played for fun and the better rewards shouldn't be locked behind either RNG or the Guild Traders.
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the ever-contentious Dubious Camoran Throne, and ignoring whether or not it's overhyped:

Aside from collectoritis, there's no need to actually own the recipe, especially at a six figure price. The food itself costs ~125 in mats per unit, and sells for ~160. The difference between purchasing a stack and crafting it yourself is ~35/ea, at which rate 100k gold effectively buys you 240 days continuous up time - without perks. Given that the food only ticks while you're logged in, realistic usage cases favor letting someone else do the crafting for you if it didn't drop.

(math check: 100000/35*2/24=238... right?)
    Edited by pauli133 on April 2, 2018 6:41PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »

Name checks out.

On Xbox here. Cheapest I could find today at a guild trader was listed at 95k.

Sometimes I forget that there are people who play ESO on console. Not sure what the prices look like on Xbox. Sucks that it cost you so much but I'm sure it was cheaper than it cost a week ago.

Sucks that RNGesus did not favor you this time.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold one to a guy for 20k because RNG was not on his side and I'll help when I can

Sold another to a guildie for 35k because I didn't want the player to feel like he was getting ripped off.

I always sell things way below price if you talk to me, I figure I'm gonna probably blow the gold on a bad PvP build idea anyway lmfao.

The first event I got the throne, ever since I sell the ones I get.

Pure RnG tho
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    Looking back, I wonder if he was aware of how valuable this recipe would end-up being in the future.
    Not sure why people find this recipe "valuable". It drops the max health and stamina rates in exchange for a buff in recovery, which isn't helpful to me.

Granted, the two hour timer is great, but not worth the tradeoff to me.

This recipe is all a stamina user needs:
    http://esoitem.uesp.net/itemLink.php?&itemid=68247&quality=3

It's cheaper, too. :)

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the ever-contentious Dubious Camoran Throne, and ignoring whether or not it's overhyped:

Aside from collectoritis, there's no need to actually own it, especially at a six figure price. The food itself costs ~125 in mats per unit, and sells for ~160. The difference between purchasing a stack and crafting it yourself is ~35/ea, at which rate 100k gold effectively buys you 90 days continuous up time - without perks. Given that the food only ticks while you're logged in, realistic usage cases favor letting someone else do the crafting for you if it didn't drop.

Honestly, Throne is a pretty annoying beverage to produce, because of the beetle scuttle requirement. This means you are, slightly, less likely to see it pop up in guild stores.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gilvoth on April 2, 2018 6:38PM
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally didn't care about the event, I was just there for the double xp. Why did it only run for four days?
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Looking back, I wonder if he was aware of how valuable this recipe would end-up being in the future.
    Not sure why people find this recipe "valuable". It drops the max health and stamina rates in exchange for a buff in recovery, which isn't helpful to me.

It depends on your build and the content. I use blue food for most PVE content, even for toons that have Undaunted passives, while in Cyro I use Dubious or Witchmothers. And that's without specializing my toons for drinks. It's just in Cyro you get so many bonuses plus the unpredictability of pvp makes regen is more a priority than in PVE where you can pace the fights more to your advantage.

Also although a slightly more expensive option, I use Dubious on leveling stam toons so I don't have to craft them new food ever 10 levels and the scaling makes it so they're rarely in need of huge health buff.
    Edited by jssriot on April 2, 2018 6:37PM
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got at least two of everything (and piles and piles of Cherry Blossom branches, in particular) this year, so rewards aren't my problem.

The fact that they had a year to do something about the awful design of stealing the Mudcrab Apples and they didn't bother is what left a bad taste in my mouth. This kind of shoddy sloppiness is exactly the reason I don't let any of my RL friends know I play this game.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yup, I enjoyed it. Some humour, some silliness, was fun.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jssriot wrote: »
    Violynne wrote: »

It depends on your build and the content. I use blue food for most PVE content, even for toons that have Undaunted passives, while in Cyro I use Dubious or Witchmothers. And that's without specializing my toons for drinks. It's just in Cyro you get so many bonuses plus the unpredictability of pvp makes regen is more a priority than in PVE where you can pace the fights more to your advantage.

Also although a slightly more expensive option, I use Dubious on leveling stam toons so I don't have to craft them new food ever 10 levels and the scaling makes it so they're rarely in need of huge health buff.

Also worth noting that Throne does count for Bone Pirate, so if you're running that set, you'll get a larger stam boost. Also, the recovery means you can easily spec a piece of jewelry or two into weapon damage, which will significantly increase your damage output.
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was great. I finished it, 100% completion last year. It's probably the easiest of the holiday events to finish. I didn't have to buy anything.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to collect all the recipes to get the game achievements and it is pretty terrible to lock those achievements behind RNG. Only the lucky or people with enough gold to pay hyper inflated prices can complete the achievement.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from collectoritis, there's no need to actually own it, especially at a six figure price. The food itself costs ~125 in mats per unit, and sells for ~160. The difference between purchasing a stack and crafting it yourself is ~35/ea, at which rate 100k gold effectively buys you 90 days continuous up time - without perks. Given that the food only ticks while you're logged in, realistic usage cases favor letting someone else do the crafting for you if it didn't drop.

Honestly, Throne is a pretty annoying beverage to produce, because of the beetle scuttle requirement. This means you are, slightly, less likely to see it pop up in guild stores.

Very true - I know I can sell it, but I don't always want to hunt things down to craft it. It has to be a very low marginal cost (to me, as a person), and even then...

The other problem, of course, is that buyers are highly resistant to changes in consumable pricing, and simply don't care that the price of mats changes over time. Expecting the crafter to eat the changes just makes it even less pleasant to craft weird things like DCT.
    Edited by pauli133 on April 2, 2018 6:49PM
  • ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote] i prefer the events where you get rewarded for stuff you want to do. Like the dungeon and pvp events. Jester and New Life gave us 2 years of the same mind-numbing events.[/quote]

this is my second year for Jester's Festival and as I started playing sometime right before it happened. I hope that there will be something different happening each year eventually, otherwise long time players will be pretty bored!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very true - I know I can sell it, but I don't always want to hunt things down to craft it. It has to be a very low marginal cost (to me, as a person), and even then...

The other problem, of course, is that buyers are highly resistant to changes in consumable pricing, and simply don't care that the price of mats changes over time. Expecting the crafter to eat the changes just makes it even less pleasant to craft weird things like DCT.

Yeah, the marginal profit is what really kills it for me. I mean, yes, I can list stacks, but I only make something like 2k gold on the transaction, which just isn't worth it to me.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrote:
    this is my second year for Jester's Festival and as I started playing sometime right before it happened. I hope that there will be something different happening each year eventually, otherwise long time players will be pretty bored!

Hopefully they add more quests. If they were to add even 3 new quests and mix them with the current ones it would make it a lot less of a grind and a lot more interesting.
    Edited by strangeradnd on April 2, 2018 6:52PM