The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dk's. Why are you still playing as one?

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    U want DK good at all roles?
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because its fun?
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly because it is the class I enjoy the most.

I like my stamsorc.

I like my magNB healer.

I always come home to my DK(s), though.

(And I've tried stamden, magden, magsorc, pet and no pet, stamblade, stamplar, and magplar).
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka dk’s, i understand, but stam...

Youre in the realm of min-maxing a perfect meta trials group without including one, but they still do great single target damage. I still hit 42k solo raid setup and 64k+ raid parses. The off balance change basically nerfed them by 10% since the rotation is made up of alot of heavy attacks. I was seeing 70k group parses before dragon bones, so 10% reduction makes sense.

I am not a pvper however, so I have no clue how theyre performing in there.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oberon45 wrote: »
    The coolest looking ultimate in the game, imo

Yep, between dark anchors and leap you could have sold the game to me, everything else is just gravy :)
    CaliMade wrote: »
    1. Most Aesthetically pleasing
    2. Controls fights better than any other class
    3. 25% damage buff against half of Cyro
    4. Leap+Frag/snipe+reflect is the easiest way to delete a scrub and simultaneously escape a sticky situation.
    5. Beserker Playstyle
    6. Power Lash Emblem and animation(GRRH!!!)
    7. Igneous sheild Animation
    8. Anti Scrub blade
    9. Anti snipe cheese
    10. Deep Breath
    11. Shifting standard
    12. Offensive and defensive Simultaneously.
    13. Best stam sustain of all mag classes

You get the point or should i keep going?

My stamina (ish) dk tank/dps is an absolute beast, it’s not the best at either but it’s big, brutal and relentless, soooo many times I’m the last team member standing, so many times I’ve soloed dungeon bosses for weak groups. Two handed, sword n board, five heavy, two medium and a monster two piece, god I love it!!!!
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    Fire fire everywhere.

Because I made a pyromaniac DK and I like them.

Not everything is about DPS and the meta. You can play most of the game without following the meta in the slightest.

its about the vibe...

This just nails it to the wall for me B)
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've done some soul-searching, lately, with all the classes (actually, I was just trying to get all 13 of my characters to Tier 3 in PVP for this campaign).

Since this campaign began, I've run on both Stam/Mag versions of DK, Templar, Warden, Sorc, and NB.

I can definitely say that all classes have their strengths and weaknesses... but none, in my opinion, have such visually gratifying animations as mDKs. With the exception of perhaps a Sorc's execute and a MagBlade's Soul Tether.

Now, I don't play what I consider "meta" builds- but I can say that I think mDK is mid to low tier of AvA. Perhaps I'm just masochistic.

Oh, and I listen to the Toadies while I wait for my queue in Cyrodiil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxTCOR62Cgo

Edited by Savos_Saren on April 1, 2018 2:11PM
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    Fire fire everywhere.

Because I made a pyromaniac DK and I like them.

Not everything is about DPS and the meta. You can play most of the game without following the meta in the slightest.

its about the vibe...

exactly. I have a stamDK and a mag and I absolutely fit into my magdk. I'm better at my stamDK, but the rotation is easy and i'm more familiar wit it but in terms of fun, its my magDK by a mile.
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭
    My main was a MagDK for so long, when it came time to change to StamDK I kept my race as Dunmer (Master Race don’t you know). Went for a Non Meta Stam setup and managed to hit 30k self buffed (without Masters and vMA weapons) and 40k group buffed. Now I have the vMA bow that damage will only increase further.

Why a DK? Because they’re fun to play as Stam and Mag. The skill set is nice for class skills and the passive are also awesome and bring a lot to the table.

If DK’s aren’t viable anymore then why are they still used in top tier raid groups? Why are DK tanks still so popular compared to others? It’s not a case of better the devil you know, is a case of ZoS can try all they like to make us irrelevant but we’ll alwas find a way to bounce back.

I mean just the name alone, Dragonknight, what more needs to be said.
    I'm a Dunmer DK Damage Dealer - My that's a lot of D's
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dunmer magDK is my favorite character.

It's currently spec'd into Stam for trials reasons tho lol

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • swirve
    swirve
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 DKs

1. Is my highest lvl crafter (first ever char)
    2. Is my tank
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, my stamDK is pretty solid. And my main Tank is a DK - and though I love my Warden tank (as well as my other class tanks) DK tanking is still a bit stronger/easier to play than any other. My magDK however, never gets used.
    Edited by xaraan on April 1, 2018 11:17PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fire
  • Hrogun
    Hrogun
    ✭✭✭
    I love my DK for Tanking now that I no longer heal with it.
    However, I indeed prefer my Warden for tanking.
    Also, I think it is the best designed class, animations wise.
    PC EU
    Healer
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My original character, an Imperial DK, has most of my achievements, including crafting motifs.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And no class change. Grinding up new characters sux ass.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've actually switched to the second worse PvP class for the time being. Templar.
    PC EU
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fire? Dragony stuff? I mean it's a totally different flavor from other classes, which are each totally different in flavor from each other. Why wouldn't someone play as one? Performance is a work word, it has nothing to do with play time. :)
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well stam dk is still in the top dps classes for this patch in terms of pve.
    The dmg was lowered quite a bit due to offbalance changes and how offbalance affected heavyattack, however you can still output 50k in a raid.

In terms of pvp mag dk is pretty good, and stam dk also work but could use some love.

I still play my dk cause I habe all my achievements on it, and dont want to regrind them again on another char
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire

Most fun
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because it's my tank, and still doin enough dps in pve to be useful!

The problem on the forums is folk seem to think that if a class isn't top of the tree then they aren't worth persevering with!

So to answer the original question, most people continue to play the characters they are familiar with... and chasing the FOM is just tiring..
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all,

Just compiling all this feedback for a future refence post of DK viewpoints on exactly why the class is played and what can be done to keep the class useful AND fun. Going into Summerset is likely going to shift everything.

Hopefully, pre-emptive feedback will show up on someones radar.
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because people on these boards - some of them - seem to misunderstand two concepts.

1. You do not need anywhere close to top tier DPS to do most content in the game. Pulling 20k is more than enough - vastly more than enough IMO - for vet HM dungeons and vMA, which in any case tend to be more about mechanics than DPS. Overland is a joke, provided you have a not-unintelligent skills setup. Finding a guild to do trials with that does not require everybody pulls "over 9000" DPS as a minimum is not that difficult.

In other words there is a big gulf between what is sufficient and what is possible. Just because something isn't top-tier in terms of what is possible does not actually mean it cannot do what is sufficient.

And the reason this is important isn't because of MagDKs or whatever, but rather because I suspect that ZOS may be hewing to this principle in how they balance things - not making sure everybody can reach 60k, but rather that everyone can pull at least some number and anything beyond is a bonus. [I could be wrong, of course, but this approach would certainly explain one or two things.]

2. Dummy DPS is not the same as live DPS.

To wit, many endgame fights are about mechanics rather than raw DPS, and some of these mechanics mean that for a significant portion of the fight you simply cannot deliver a full rotation (because the boss teleports out, or you have to dodge something, or some statue-altar-glowy thingie somewhere needs to be pressed, or you have to rezz the healer who just got one-shotted...and so on).

Which neatly loops back to #1 - what is sufficient to do much of endgame content vs. what is possible under ideal conditions.

In terms of constructive feedback on the class, I will say that MagDKs even before the off-balance nerf struck me as...off. Other magicka classes (even Magden) tend to have (for me) a neater rotation and a better toolkit (e.g. viz. self-heals). Moreover, I prefer to play my magicka classes ranged, whereas some of MagDK's most often used skills are strictly melee (or melee-ish). Also, too, I do not especially like the flame staff's HA, which is a small but a significant "straw that broke the camel's back".

So basically compared with a Magblade, Magsorc, Magden or even (ranged) Magplar a MagDK to me felt just a bit like a fish out of water. Or neither fish nor fowl. Or something. [StamDK of course is your basic stam melee bow backbar character with a metric ton of DoTs, so that's all fine.]

I am hopeful that once the Summerset update hits - and I regear my endgame characters under the new system (because why not Julianos and MA 5x5?) - I can finally figure out something that feels good with my MagDK.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heal on my dk's because variety. Templar gets boring.
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    LOL

Every now and than I role up a new character. Tried all classes, mag or stamina.

But as soon as I do that I am back on my main stam DK, so ZOS is probably and properly pissed off with me starting and deleting new characters.

True, basic gearless templar will reach much higher levels of damage output with me, almost the same with other classes - but but, I just like it when it's hot, hectic, dynamic and tough pathway.

There's probably some of that well known EVE online zen masochism right there.

Even more as I walk away a bit from meta builds and am doing my own thing I find it more and more enjoyable.

I still have a long way to go, but I'm kinda sure it will be DK all the way. I mean I'm so close to be able to solo group bosses.

And...

My Ra Gada will even perfect mag side of the DK.

Because....
    Indeed...
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens are taking over tank role in most content because of better group buffs and resource management.

They are not. Engulfing and Chains are the two reasons why DKs are still the best tanks for endgame PvE.
    Edited by code65536 on April 2, 2018 2:45PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because with it, I can flyyyyyy!
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    * Is it true that mag DK's are useless when it comes to endgame group content? I have both a mag sorc & a mag DK but can't decide which one to put the gear I have on an the majority of my time playing on. if the DK is only good for endgame solo content then I will probably spend my time on sorc
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done some soul-searching, lately, with all the classes (actually, I was just trying to get all 13 of my characters to Tier 3 in PVP for this campaign).

that's so cool @Savos_Saren ...i always imagined there must be other folks out there playing a similiar style...

13 is an amazing number :)

i have each race, stam/mag version of each class...i've stayed in the 30 day cp map (ps4/na) for a couple of years with all my characters (i swear i'm stopping at 10) farming up 100k AP each...

thank goodness zos has made AP framing so much easier...

although I will admit - back in the day i would get a good bit of that AP afk at the outposts - now it's rapids and a maxed mount for the win :p

normally I'll play each character 2 or 3 times (total of maybe 4 to 10 hours) a month fighting in cyrodiil/IC...

with all the constant gear, and abilty changes - keeping a character performing "well" is pretty challenging...

love my "johnny blaze" mag dk and my tanky defiling werewolf stam dk...

oh yeah - whoever said leap was the most fun ult in the game (excluding werewolf of course) - nailed it...

Edit:
    Because fire is bright
    Fire is clean
    Efficient and divine
    Edited by geonsocal on April 3, 2018 2:04AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

that's so cool @Savos_Saren ...i always imagined there must be other folks out there playing a similiar style...

i have each race, stam/mag version of each class...i've stayed in the 30 day cp map (ps4/na) for a couple of years with all my characters (i swear i'm stopping at 10) farming up 100k AP each...

although I will admit - back in the day i would get a good bit of that AP afk at the outposts - now it's rapids and a maxed mount for the win :p

normally I'll play each character 2 or 3 times (total of maybe 4 to 10 hours) a month fighting in cyrodiil/IC...

with all the constant gear, and abilty changes - keeping a character performing "well" is pretty challenging...

oh yeah - whoever said leap was the most fun ult in the game (excluding werewolf of course) - nailed it...

Edit:
    Because fire is bright
    Fire is clean
    Efficient and divine

Not trolling (confronting mb) but whats so cool about playing 13 meta builds?
    I want to know what enjoyment you get out of it. Ftw? Is that it?
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on April 3, 2018 3:17AM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

Edit:
    Because fire is bright
    Fire is clean
    Efficient and divine

Not trolling (confronting mb) but whats so cool about playing 13 meta builds?
    I want to know what enjoyment you get out of it. Ftw? Is that it?

there is absolutely zero optimal about not refining your build and rotations through countless iterations of focused play on a select few or (better yet) singular character...

personally I just wanted to experience the different abilities, races, alliances, and classes...

yeah, it's not easy being able to jump from heavy armor dk one day to a light armor mag sorc the next - but, it opens up a myriad of options to play a wide array of playstyles at any time...

after the sixth or seventh character, build diversity gets increasingly more challenging...there are a limited amount of weapon choices...

it's fun though trying to come up with very different versions of the same class...and, to make each character feel unique...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place