Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why do i get bounty for unwitnessed crime?

Tapio75
Tapio75
✭✭✭✭✭
Thats the question. If i murder someone lone in wilderness, i get bounty, who witnessed this? If i murder someone with someone else and take care of the witness, why do i get a bounty?

Seems like something needs to be improved here.

Also, why do those people living in houses see me, when my eye is completely closed and they really dont see me, yet they shout at me and tell me, that they will call guards?

Which bring me to other thing, why dont the guards never come, when the NPC calls for guards hmm? Also, the guards should really pose a threat when they attack and if they slay you, i think an extensive repair bill would be a good punishment.

I think the justice system could do a bit of improvment here :)
>>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The person you murdered witnessed it. Yes, there’s room for improvement with that system.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There may have been an animal that saw it. I killed a guy in Alik'r and got a bounty because his goat saw.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    The person you murdered witnessed it. Yes, there’s room for improvement with that system.

This is why we need to stomp out necromancy. When the murdered person can just be risen and point a finger, that is too much!

However, I agree... there are some oddities in the way the justice system works. Some are just things that they did not want to program for, like the NPC commentary. Other things are probably a mix of making the system challenging, without making it too much so.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »

This is why we need to stomp out necromancy. When the murdered person can just be risen and point a finger, that is too much!

However, I agree... there are some oddities in the way the justice system works. Some are just things that they did not want to program for, like the NPC commentary. Other things are probably a mix of making the system challenging, without making it too much so.

There’s also the inexplicable world-wide telepathy that NPCs have. You can commit a crime on one side of the continent and the guards on a secluded island on the other side of the continent will have a BOLO out for you before you’ve finished the deed. Methinks it’s a bit silly.

I think it would probably be better to keep bounties more realistic. Dead people don’t talk, so if the witness dies, there is no bounty. Only the local authorities should know about it.

Zos could also mitigate the abuse of that by disabling fast travel for people with a Bounty. That way people will have to evade the guards and get to a fence to clear their bounty before they are free to travel again.
    Edited by srfrogg23 on March 25, 2018 2:56PM
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may have been an animal that saw it. I killed a guy in Alik'r and got a bounty because his goat saw.

The same guy! The same goat! The goat got freaked out and turned red and ran away from me. Then I had a bounty. I got pissed off and chased it down and killed it, too.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because then you could murder an entire city and as long as you finished off every last citizen you would get away with it with no bounty at all.

Sure it's more realistic if you can kill some witness thus erasing your bounty, but then again it would be more realistic if your character went to jail if caught and had to sit there for 25-life.

At the end of the day, it's a game, and further to that it's a multiplayer online game. Certain things need to happen to prevent abuse of game mechanics even if they are not realistic.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note but similar. I used to kill the cultist and not get spotted by guards. Now i get spotted wvwry time. Does any one know if guards got a bigger detection. I have had to change my kill spots because of this .
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was my monkey... I need to keep his bananas coming more often i think :dizzy:
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tapio75 wrote: »
    Why do i get bounty for unwitnessed crime?
    Stendarr sees all, he sees you when you're sleeping, he sees you when you're awake, he knows if you've been good or bad, so be good for the divines sake! :p;)

On a more serious note - if you kill them from stealth with one blow before they know you were even there - no bounty. But let them catch a glimpse of you, and somehow their ghost stops on its way to aetherious long enough to rat you out to the local guard...

I expect the guards also have some paladin training, in how they are able to spot that old leather belt you nabbed in an inn last monday as stolen...

Its an imperfect system, but... the best we have to keep things from going completely bonkers!
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, the guards should really pose a threat when they attack and if they slay you, i think an extensive repair bill would be a good punishment.
    No.

They already pose a threat. They are unkillable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjmDfyFozk

Xbox NA
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got trolled by Sithis :p
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Vasanha
    This one hears nothing. Sees nothing. This one only sweeps.
    desperately need a survey assistant
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big brother is ALWAYS watching
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's an inane system that is the staple of most TES games. I can only assume the npcs have the interwebs and social media considering how fast the information reaches one end of the world map to the other. Been so long since i played Skyrim, but pretty sure they at least attempted to make it more realistic insofar that each hold had it's own separate bounty system. It was still poor though as everyone knew that random fork you had was stolen from some npc half the world away.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on March 25, 2018 10:24PM
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah this was (probably still is) an issue in Skyrim, too.

I'd kill someone, or killed a bad dragon, or whatever I did, and then I would fast-travel from the Rift to Solitude (which is like traveling from California to Connecticut), getting there about 10 seconds after the deed, and as I walked through the gate into Solitude, the guard would whisper, "I heard what you did at XXX, good job."

So yeah, it could be improved a little.

• Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some other funny problems on the justice system.. You know the Thieves throves, yes?

I have always opened the boxes with some cargo in them at once i looted them.. This one time, i just casually noticed, that i had one still in my pocket and i was actually öaundered it for some reason.

Well, i opened it at midle of Wayrest and next thing i notice, is guard knocking my shoulder and asking me very politely and nervously to pay my bounty or else..

I was like "What the heck happened" :D

In Skyrim, the thing worked very well if compared to ESO, but there were times, when i was battling a dragon near a settlement, and a loose arrow that did not happen to hit a dragon, happened to land on guard head or something and next thing i knew, is that i had guards attacking me :D Then again thats understably hard to make such system that could tell was it a purposeful or mistake attack.

I dont play criminals often, i mostly be goody two shoes.. But when i do, i mostly do thievery without murder, and an occasion, i also play Dark Brotherhood. When i am thief, i expect people not noticing me when they do not have LOS and i would also expect them to sleep at night. When i murder, i expect a system, that does not include a victim asm a witness to ceime.. Blade of voe usually work perfectly, but i dont like using it all the time, sometimes i also want to use my fast NB bursts to murder. Would be great to have some better system here.

I would also love more immersion like guards showing up, when NPC cries for their help.. At least if they are near.

• Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system is buggy. I've been spotted through walls and killed by guards & other npc's attacking through those same walls. It's really frustrating when a npc can kill you that way and you can not even attack back cause you have no LOS.

Also ran from a guard went through a door, took three steps after the load screen and the guard throws a chain on me pulling me back into the building without a load screen then proceeded to kill me.

Been part way through the animation of blade of woe, then the npc turns to spot me stopping the process and slapping a bounty on me.

Been miraculously spotted after successfully PP an item and was moving away still in stealth. Was not a trespass area either.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is running around leaving crud in the master lock boxes

Thats just plain mean. Its been happening ing more and more.
    Blah
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Because then you could murder an entire city and as long as you finished off every last citizen you would get away with it with no bounty at all.

Sure it's more realistic if you can kill some witness thus erasing your bounty, but then again it would be more realistic if your character went to jail if caught and had to sit there for 25-life.

At the end of the day, it's a game, and further to that it's a multiplayer online game. Certain things need to happen to prevent abuse of game mechanics even if they are not realistic.

not a chance.

you'd be executed out of hand.

twenty-five to life is a contemporary abomination.

• Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do I get unhidden by a crab????
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cryptical wrote: »
    Also, the guards should really pose a threat when they attack and if they slay you, i think an extensive repair bill would be a good punishment.
    No.

They already pose a threat. They are unkillable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjmDfyFozk

Thanks for vid, for those interested it starts at 4, 30
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch out for mudcrabs.

These dastardly little fiends will pull you out of stealth, rat out your nefarious dealings to the guards, and attack you in hordes if you confront them.

They are like their own tiny mafia.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the fishing folk has a couple crabs nearby that I guess she's friendly with; if you don't kill them first, you will get a bounty for killing her. (Glenumbra & possibly Auridon as well)
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The justice system needs some adjustments:

> Tracking bounties per alliance would be a good start. Why would the guards in EP care about a bounty you have in DC/AD?
    > Dead witnesses should not be able to give you a bounty.
    > Animals should never be counted as witnesses.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Fischblut
      Fischblut
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I agree that mudcrabs are serious guys, even though very cute :D

I will never forget how I was going to kill some NPC near Alcaire Castle's river, and was spotted by mudcrabs just as I was using Blade of Woe... Since that time I first eliminate mudcrabs.
      They are like their own tiny mafia.

:smiley:

I3c3YmJ.jpg