The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lore Friendly Glass/Malachite Roofs Retexture for Summerset Architecture

• Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    And despite 3 threads now, no response from ZOS if this feedback has been passed on to anyone in art department?

They read the lore, they knew it should be glass/crystal themed architecture, and their artists are so damn talented that they definitely would have discussed this and made it happen if they could. It's a shame they won't talk about why it didn't happen, because I bet it would be a fascinating insight into how they work, but they seem stuck in AAA "we are awesome and everything always goes as planned" mode, and will ignore anyone who suggests otherwise.

Given this engine struggles to do transparency properly on even normal windows, it seems highly likely this is an engine limitation. It's just a shame they won't be open about it because I'd love to know what sort of discussions they had and how they problem-solved this one.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    And despite 3 threads now, no response from ZOS if this feedback has been passed on to anyone in art department?

They read the lore, they knew it should be glass/crystal themed architecture, and their artists are so damn talented that they definitely would have discussed this and made it happen if they could. It's a shame they won't talk about why it didn't happen, because I bet it would be a fascinating insight into how they work, but they seem stuck in AAA "we are awesome and everything always goes as planned" mode, and will ignore anyone who suggests otherwise.

Given this engine struggles to do transparency properly on even normal windows, it seems highly likely this is an engine limitation. It's just a shame they won't be open about it because I'd love to know what sort of discussions they had and how they problem-solved this one.

And many people have already said, not a single person is expecting transparent buildings. Seriously. We know the engine limitations. We want colour, we want shimmer, we want shine. What we got is dull concrete sprinkled with some cement.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And many people have already said, not a single person is expecting transparent buildings. Seriously. We know the engine limitations. We want colour, we want shimmer, we want shine. What we got is dull concrete sprinkled with some cement.

Yeah, I agree with you =D I'm just saying don't expect a response. It's not their style. Probably a Zenimax requirement (parent company, not ZOS) but they've never been open about why they break lore in their visual design, even when it's literally an entire province that is 100% wrong (Valenwood) rather than a single city.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    remember the sword called Chillrend? that was glass, but blue, and i think that color blue would look even better as roofing than that green. but i don't have GIMP on my tablet :/

• crjs1
    crjs1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty please ZOS pretty please!
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please!

Also, some grey stones perhaps brighter towards white. That would be a small fix for a great gain :)
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »
    Yes please!

Also, some grey stones perhaps brighter towards white. That would be a small fix for a great gain :)

Right? Just look at this house in Rellenthil, and tell me that doesn't look like a depressing concrete building - it's even falling apart!
    10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Okiir
    Okiir
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Right? Just look at this house in Rellenthil, and tell me that doesn't look like a depressing concrete building - it's even falling apart!
    10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg

I mean, It looks great, but it's not Summerset or Altmeri.

This amphitheatre would be so perfect in Cyrodiil, as an ancient ruin from the Reman Dynasty.

Edited by Okiir on March 25, 2018 12:13PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumparoni , Its a simple change to add some color to it.
    Exactly. But it would require them to admit that they made a mistake with their art design.

This is never getting changed.

From now on, Summerset is yet another medieval european kingdom, because Tamriel doesn’t have enough of those already. This is supposedly the super-advanced nation that Septim couldn’t conquer without a giant robot god.

Honestly, it doesn’t even make sense for altmer to have all this malachite anymore. Where are they getting it from? Zenimax clearly didnt take the time to consider why a nation with no volcanoes uses so much volcanic glass. It’s amateur world-building.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 25, 2018 12:21PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I found an exclusive screenshot of the glorious capital of the Summerset Isles. Such beauty!

courtyard-kharkiv-soviet-built-apartment-blocks-cloudy-winter-day-ukraine-february-74447162.jpg
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okiir wrote: »
    I mean, It looks great, but it's not Summerset or Altmeri.

This amphitheatre would be so perfect in Cyrodiil, as an ancient ruin from the Reman Dynasty.

This very much. :cry: The problem isn't that the buildings are ugly, because they aren't - it's that they're unsuitable. Like driving a pickup truck to a super-glamorous dinner instead of a limousine. Sure, it has four wheels and it'll get you there, but when you had months in advance to plan your ride and an entire garage to pick from, why did you choose the pickup truck?!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    raj72616a wrote: »
    they didnt fix the telvanni tower texture in morrowind despite the complaints

Fleshy shroom towers still be fleshy.

:( That disappointed me a lot especially after all the backlash in the beta forums
    it was fan art, with all the canonical relevance of C0DA

I agree with your point, but I would also like to point out that C0DA is now canon courtesy of ESO :wink:

And on topic, hell yes to glass roofs. It doesn't solve the issue completely, but it's a fantastic compromise of lore and engine restrictions.

Enlight us on how C0DA was made canon by ESO?
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I agree with you =D I'm just saying don't expect a response. It's not their style. Probably a Zenimax requirement (parent company, not ZOS) but they've never been open about why they break lore in their visual design, even when it's literally an entire province that is 100% wrong (Valenwood) rather than a single city.

It’s not even a matter of breaking lore. We all know there’s multiple interpretations of the lore, and I’m not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

The problem is they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 25, 2018 12:32PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darker glass option
    Original
    30ThcJj.jpg
    Lighter
    wXKm4Yb.jpg
    Darker
    38QdVP2.jpg

Besides color they need to change properties of material to get more depths and light reflection.

psychotrip wrote: »
    Honestly, it doesn’t even make sense for altmer to have all this malachite anymore. Where are they getting it from? Zenimax clearly didnt take the time to consider why a nation with no volcanoes uses so much volcanic glass. It’s amateur world-building.
    Mountain on Summerset don't look volcanic according to screenshots, but they may have volcanic-island-mine near archipelago.

Edited by XomRhoK on March 25, 2018 12:46PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XomRhoK wrote: »
    Darker glass option
    Original
    30ThcJj.jpg
    Lighter
    wXKm4Yb.jpg
    Darker
    38QdVP2.jpg

Besides color they need to change properties of material to get more depths and light reflection.

Mountain on Summerset don't look volcanic according to screenshots, but they may have volcanic-island-mine near archipelago.

I'll bet 10,000 drakes this won't be addressed at all. Summerset is Europe now, with no regard to how that effects their style or resources. How they get their malachite will be regarded as a "mysterious secret" that they'll ruin in a few years by saying they just trade with the dunmer.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't understand where this transparency argument even comes from. We talked about glass, yes, but in the context of shimmering, colorful streets. We don't even know if the buildings were actually made of glass - we only know what they looked like to awed visitors, but not how the effect was achieved.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. But it would require them to admit that they made a mistake with their art design.

From now on, Summerset is yet another medieval european kingdom, because Tamriel doesn’t have enough of those already. This is supposedly the super-advanced nation that Septim couldn’t conquer without a giant robot god.

Can't say where altmer get the malachite from, but altmer are known for their glass armor so they might be malachite reserves somewhere
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Can't say where altmer get the malachite from, but altmer are known for their glass armor so they might be malachite reserves somewhere
    That's exactly the question: they're known to widely use malachite, so where do they get it from? Do they mine it? Import it? Mountains of malachite didn't just magically appear one day in their warehouses.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

That's exactly the question: they're known to widely use malachite, so where do they get it from? Do they mine it? Import it? Mountains of malachite didn't just magically appear one day in their warehouses.

Theoretically if they trade with dunmer house hlaalu wouldn't put trading with altmer beneath them
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Do we know what kind of mountain Eton Nir is? Maybe it's an ex-volcano? Or maybe there are volcanic islands in the vicinity?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is exactly the issue that ZOS has created by not thinking this through.

Sure, they can retro-actively justify it with some mundane, boring excuse, but wouldn't it have been much cooler if Summerset was a warm, sub-tropical place with a few volcanoes?
    02EAE88C0000044D-3716387-image-a-2_1469918558630.jpg
    49780aebae3eb0f4b4940d25c2101a07.jpg
    210261-digital_art-landscape-China.jpg

Imagine the frozen peaks of Cloudrest powered by geothermal activity, creating an advanced, natural heating system that was distributed throughout the city. Imagine if Eton Nir was an active volcano kept dormant only by high magic. It could be the center of the malachite trade and the lifeblood of Summerset's economy. This would give us a chance to see altmer magical technology firsthand, to witness how advanced they truly are, while providing ample opportunities for quests and conflict (mysterious deaths in the mines, someone "digging to deep" and unleashing something evil etc).

What do we get instead? Welcome to "Cloudrest"
    a2b6c963cc6e4c2f951188a16f59294b.jpg

So much wasted opportunity.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 25, 2018 5:05PM

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    Honestly the roofs of the buildings already look dark green to me in the videos and Glass can be that shade of green so to me they are already made of glass.

They are black

Well that's fine that you see black, with my PC I see Dark Green. The pictures are less clear than the Gameplay Trailer, easier to see the colors of the roofs on that. Probably depends on how the light hits it, like most colors. Plus with the Dye system you could easily claim that the designers/elves decided to color the roofs Black but are still made of glass (aka Malachite)

They are obviously not glass.

Agree to disagree then I guess, it's fine. I am not here to argue anything. I was just stating an opinion. I haven't been to Summerset yet so I am holding my opinion on it until I do, a 1:40 second gameplay trailer and 5 pictures aren't enough to paint a picture for me.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually this would be good. I must say though I like the Italian Renaissance / Baroque architecture theme makes a lot of sense. Most of the old elf stuff had an Italian-y look in the series.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Make the windows green/yellow tinted too. Would look great and in accordance with the reports of insect wing architecture.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Highlor3 wrote: »

:( That disappointed me a lot especially after all the backlash in the beta forums

I agree with your point, but I would also like to point out that C0DA is now canon courtesy of ESO :wink:

And on topic, hell yes to glass roofs. It doesn't solve the issue completely, but it's a fantastic compromise of lore and engine restrictions.

In-game lore book from the Morrowind expansion, the 37th Lesson of Vivec. Most obviously by the final line: "The worlding of the words is AMARANTH" which if you've read C0DA tells you all you need to know. But also if you haven't read C0DA there's an amazing line in this lore book which reads:

"Go here: world without wheel, charting zero deaths, and echoes singing" Seht said, until all of it was done, and in the center was anything whatever.

Underlined the important parts of that for you. C0DA's website is www.c0da.es. That'll fill you in on what the Amaranth is, but the long and the short of it is:
    The world of TES is a dream, and the dreamer is the Amaranth. Even the gods are a part of her dream. Eventually, a new dreamer will begin to dream a new world, from within the world of TES. Turtles all the way down. Those who have achieved chim are those who have realized the world isn't real but love it enough to remain within. They gain the power to do with the world whatever they will, much like lucid dreams irl (hence Talos mantling Lorkhan to become a god within this world). This also explains why modding is completely lore friendly, since every player has achieved chim whether they realize it or not, knowing the world isn't real, choosing to remain within anyway, and therefore having the power to shape the world (or simply toggle god mode) however they like. It also means ESO isn't lore friendly for this reason :tongue: but we can let them off for that since players toggling god mode in PVP would get boring pretty fast.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In-game lore book from the Morrowind expansion, the 37th Lesson of Vivec. Most obviously by the final line: "The worlding of the words is AMARANTH" which if you've read C0DA tells you all you need to know. But also if you haven't read C0DA there's an amazing line in this lore book which reads:

"Go here: world without wheel, charting zero deaths, and echoes singing" Seht said, until all of it was done, and in the center was anything whatever.

Underlined the important parts of that for you. C0DA's website is www.c0da.es. That'll fill you in on what the Amaranth is, but the long and the short of it is:
    The world of TES is a dream, and the dreamer is the Amaranth. Even the gods are a part of her dream. Eventually, a new dreamer will begin to dream a new world, from within the world of TES. Turtles all the way down. Those who have achieved chim are those who have realized the world isn't real but love it enough to remain within. They gain the power to do with the world whatever they will, much like lucid dreams irl (hence Talos mantling Lorkhan to become a god within this world). This also explains why modding is completely lore friendly, since every player has achieved chim whether they realize it or not, knowing the world isn't real, choosing to remain within anyway, and therefore having the power to shape the world (or simply toggle god mode) however they like. It also means ESO isn't lore friendly for this reason :tongue: but we can let them off for that since players toggling god mode in PVP would get boring pretty fast.

C0da was written by Michael Kirkbride and so was the Vivec lessons so it's no wonder why they have tie in's together. The lessons were written long before ESO was made or even thought of.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

C0da was written by Michael Kirkbride and so was the Vivec lessons so it's no wonder why they have tie in's together. The lessons were written long before ESO was made or even thought of.

37th sermon was brand new for ESO Morrowind, so C0DA is genuinely lore by choice of the devs =)
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually this would be good. I must say though I like the Italian Renaissance / Baroque architecture theme makes a lot of sense. Most of the old elf stuff had an Italian-y look in the series.

I don't recall any italian-y look to any of the elven stuff myself. Elven stuff utilizes organic shapes and abstract symbolism

Altmer.jpg
    ElvenHelmet.png?version=7f47af84b5e1e3161a593c9a380f5ff7
    27726-2-1354480560.jpg
    MW-item-Glass_Armor.jpg
    OB-quest-Paradise.jpg
    015c64f6b7fbe64bd3c520627e49a0ef.jpg

One of these images doesn't fit.
    Edited by psychotrip on March 25, 2018 6:19PM

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

37th sermon was brand new for ESO Morrowind, so C0DA is genuinely lore by choice of the devs =)

Well even so, it's an Easter Egg at best (to me anyway)