The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Necromancy Skill Line (AGAIN)

stimpy986b14_ESO
stimpy986b14_ESO
✭✭✭
It seems I make one of these threads every year or so. I guess it just baffles me that it's been years since ESO launched and we still don't have necromancy despite necromancers being A: a major part of the story and B: playable in every prior elder scrolls game. I also understand that being a necromancer would conflict pretty severely with the main story quest at multiple points so here's an idea. After defeating Molag Bal and completing the story quests, Abnur Tharn contacts you and asks to meet in the Harborage where he trains you in the necromantic arts.

It occurs to me that not much has changed with the base game since the last post so instead of simply updating I've reworked the idea from the ground up so that the dev team (if they ever read this) would see that there are many ways to implement necromancy. If you'd like to see my older posts, you can click below. With this variation on the idea, instead of having an army of zombies, you'll have a single powerful minion, and several support skills, each of which has an additional effect for your minion.

Necromancy Skill Line (2016)

Necromancer Class (2015)

--skills--

-Ultimate- (obtained at rank 1)

Flesh Atronach - (toggle) Construct a powerful undead minion to fight for you. The minion remains at your side until destroyed. Once constructed, this skill becomes "Vile Fountain" which commands the minion to vomit diseased bile at its feet, dealing disease damage and inflicting minor defile to enemies for 10 seconds (7/8/9/10 meter radius). This minion's damage is based on your weapon or spell damage, whichever is higher.

Bone Colossus (Morph of Flesh Atronach) - (toggle) Construct a powerful undead minion to fight for you. The minion remains at your side until destroyed. Once constructed, this skill becomes "Dread Roar" which commands the minion to let loose a terrifying roar, inflicting nearby enemies with major maim, minor cowardice, and minor uncertainty for 10 seconds. This minion's damage is based on your max health and its health is increased by 25/50/75/100%.

Ritual of the Lich (Morph of Flesh Atronach) - (toggle) Construct a powerful ranged undead minion to fight for you. The minion remains at your side until destroyed. This minion's attacks heal the most injured ally for 50/55/60/65% of the damage done. Once constructed, this skill becomes "Blasphemous Martyr" which commands the minion to sacrifice itself to grant you and your allies a damage shield that absorbs 100% of their max health in damage. This minion's damage (and subsequently healing) is based on your weapon or spell damage, whichever is higher.

-Active-

Blood Curse - deals magic damage over time and inflicts major defile for 5/6/7/8 seconds. Only one target can be cursed at a time. Using this skill commands your minion to attack the targeted enemy and your minion deals 25/30/35/40% more damage to this enemy. Costs magicka and scales based on spell damage and max magicka.

Plague (morph of Blood Curse) - deals disease damage over time and inflicts major defile for 10 seconds. Only one target can be cursed at a time. Using this skill commands your minion to attack the targeted enemy and your minion deals 50% more damage to this enemy. If target is killed while plague is active, it deals disease damage every second for 10/12/14/16 second to nearby enemies while they remain near the corpse. Costs stamina and scales based on weapon damage and max stamina.

Leeching Curse (morph of Blood Curse) - deals magic damage over time. and inflicts major defile and minor lifesteal for 10 seconds. Only one target can be cursed at a time. Using this skill commands your minion to attack the targeted enemy and your minion deals 50% more damage to this enemy. Costs magicka and scales based on spell damage and max magicka.

Vile Feast - when cast on a dead body, your undead minion will leap to it and feast for 5/4/3/2 seconds, restoring 100% of its health. Nearby allies can activate the "Cannibalism" synergy, and join the feast, restoring 30% health over 5/4/3/2 seconds. no cost.

Empowering Feast - (morph of Vile Feast) when cast on a dead body, your undead minion will leap to it and feast for 2 seconds, restoring 100% of its health and granting it major berserk for 10/12/14/16 seconds at the end of the feast. Nearby allies can activate the "Cannibalism" synergy, and join the feast, restoring 30% health over 2 seconds. No cost.

Vile Explosion - (morph of Vile Feast) when cast on a dead body, your undead minion will leap to it and feast for 2 seconds, restoring 100% of its health. Nearby allies can activate the "Cannibalism" synergy, and join the feast, restoring 30% health over 2 seconds. Deals disease damage to nearby enemies at the end of the feast and deals increased damage for each ally fed. No cost. Explosion damage scales on weapon damage and max stamina.

Stench of Death - You and your minion deal magic damage every second to nearby enemies for 10/12/14/16 seconds. Costs magicka and scales based on max health. 8m radius.

Terrifying Presence - (morph of Stench of Death) You and your minion deal magic damage every second to nearby enemies for 16 seconds. Each tick has a 15% chance to inflict 4 seconds of fear. Costs magicka and scales based on spell damage and max magicka. 8/10/12/14m radius.

Oppressive Gloom - (morph of Stench of Death) You and your minion deal disease damage every second to nearby enemies for 16 seconds. Each Tick has a 35/40/45/50% chance to set enemies off balance. Costs stamina and scales based on weapon damage and max stamina. 8m radius.

Death's Grasp - The hands of the dead claw up from the ground to grasp at the feet of your enemies. Enemies standing in the targeted area are immobilized for 3 seconds. While your minion stands in the area, it is immobilized but also immune to pull, knockback, and fear for the duration. Costs magicka, 8m radius, lasts 5/6/7/8 seconds.

Clawing Grasp (morph of Death's Grasp) - The hands of the dead claw up from the ground to grasp at the feet of your enemies. Enemies standing in the targeted area are immobilized for 3 seconds and bleed for 10 seconds. While your minion stands in the area, it is immobilized but also immune to pull, knockback, and fear for the duration. Costs stamina and bleed damage scales on max stamina, 8m radius, lasts 10 seconds.

Hands of Doom (morph of Death's Grasp) - The hands of the dead claw up from the ground to pull your enemies down. Enemies standing in the targeted area are knocked down for 2/2.2/2.4/2.6 seconds. While your minion stands in the area, it is immobilized but also immune to pull, knockback, and fear for the duration. Costs magicka, 8m radius, lasts 10 seconds.

Blight the Sky - Creates a cloud of corruption above the targeted area for 8/10/12/14 seconds granting allies Minor Evasion while they remain in the area. Allies can activate the "Shroud of Corruption" synergy to gain invisibility for 2 seconds. Your minion gains major evasion while in the area. Costs magicka.

Acid Rain (Morph of Blight the Sky) - Creates a cloud of corruption above the targeted area for 15 seconds granting allies Minor Evasion while they remain in the area. Allies can activate the "Shroud of Corruption" synergy to gain invisibility for 2 seconds. Your minion gains major evasion while in the area. Deals disease damage every second to enemies within the area. Costs stamina, damage scales on weapon damage and max stamina.

Aura of Darkness (Morph of Blight the Sky) - Creates a cloud of corruption above your head granting nearby allies Minor Evasion for 15 seconds. You and your minion also gain Major Evasion for the duration. Allies can activate the "Shroud of Corruption" synergy to gain invisibility for 2 seconds. Costs magicka.

-passive-

Corrupted Blood - Increase damage done by necromancy abilities by 1/2% per necromancy ability equipped.

Soul Reaping - Restore magicka or stamina (whichever pool is lower) when anything dies within 20 meters of you (4/2 second cooldown).

Forbidden Knowledge - Share your knowledge of the dark arts with another player once every 7 days (this grants the first rank of necromancy. They will need to play the questline to advance)

Ravenous Undead - Killing an enemy grants your minion major expedition for 10/15 seconds

Necrotic Empowerment - Activating a necromancy ability grants your minion Empower for 5 seconds.

Meat Shield - While within 8 meters of your undead minion, you and your allies gain a 10% max health damage shield for 6 seconds. The shield is reapplied every 6 seconds.

I look forward to your feedback
Edited by stimpy986b14_ESO on March 20, 2018 9:09AM
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've resurrected the dead horse to beat it to death again.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • TheKingofSass
    TheKingofSass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god yesss, so much want! I love these, especially that there is stam morph for all.
    tumblr_inline_p5vtldHCei1s4ab72_540.gif
    "Remember, darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good."

Nifereti
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magblade┇AD
    Alyäia Morningstar
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magplar┇AD
    Poison Avy
    500 CP+┇Bosmer┇Werewolf Stamden┇EP
    Tronto Ebur
    500 CP+┇Imperial┇Frosted Tankden┇EP
    Azaerani
    500 CP+┇Dunmer┇Dovah Kendov MagKnight┇DC
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I'm a necromancer. that's kinda my whole shtick.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necromancers would be ace to add to the game and a good class to play.

There has been enough outcry from the community, with various mentions and us shouting "GIVE ME" so yes at some point they will be added cas you know....$$$$$$.

Just have to wait and see.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, 2019 maybe but I don't think so. At least ZOS is willing to introduce new skill lines when we think about the upcoming Psijik skills.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • lelink88
    lelink88
    ✭✭✭
    U will get it 1 day. I'm sure about it
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wanna raise skeles as a skill
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wanna raise skeles as a skill

Maybe you can do that when they introduce Spellcrafting.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skeleton minions
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yaaaaassss please.
    If thousands of people are running around Tamriel playing as assassins, then they should be able to play as necromancers, too.
    I've already posted some screenshots from the game that support this in other threads.
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cmon ZOS you know you want to.

Not sure about the lich summon though. Most liches are sentient and have their own free will but most of what we have summoned so far has been animals, beast daedra or living objects. Seems a bit strange to summon and control something that has its own opinions on the matter of fighting
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.O rez dead players in cydrolli is my dream.
  • Gothlander
    Gothlander
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing ZoS is going to copy WoW and come out with a new class every other "Chapter".
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

TESO needs a wardrobe system badly. Something similar to WoW's tmog system would make this game one of the best mmorpg out there!
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancy is part of the conjuration school which we already have skills from on the sorcerer. I must admit I didn't read your post so apologies if you mentioned it.
    Argonian masterrace
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And again, Necromoncy class or skill line is extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon since it is obvious necromancy is the bain of everyone in Tamriel at the moment. This is clearly the case due to the main story lines through the base game section.

Until that is remedied it seems to be a difficult case to make for adding the line or class.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    And again, Necromoncy class or skill line is extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon since it is obvious necromancy is the bain of everyone in Tamriel at the moment. This is clearly the case due to the main story lines through the base game section.

Until that is remedied it seems to be a difficult case to make for adding the line or class.

Necromancy has always been a subset of conjuration. TES heroes have been able to summon skeletons, reanimated draugr and so on, even in environments like Morrowind where necromancy of non-beast races is illegal, or in Oblivion where necromancy is banned.

So there's good reason to go with the Oblivion method of "You can play like a necromancer but you can't join up with the Worm Cult for plot reasons," even here in ESO. A necromancer skill line would fit in nicely with previous TES games.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy Skill Line (AGAIN)...
    Looking interesting.
    Of course, I had my own take on the concept, for my Class Morph Idea, as "prestige class" specializazion for sorcerors...
    Necromancer (death magic and undead summoning; color: cyan - NPC coldfire)
    Skills:
    • Spectral Grasp (area snare, dodgeable, like lich)
    - Morph1: Spectral Hold (+immobilize, then snare, like NPC necromancers)
    - Morph2: Cursed Grasp (+ DoT, like undead death curse)
    • Raise Undead (summon one skeleton, duration)
    - Morph1: Raise Corpse (summon zombie, +special attacks – punch, vomit)
    - Morph2: Army of Undead (summon 3 weak skeletons)
    • Drain Strength (channeled, interruptable, do damage, gain magica)
    - Morph1: Drain Life (+ also gain health)
    - Morph2: Drain Power (+ reduce target spell damage for duration)
    • Animate Dead (summon stronger undead, Draugr/Ra-netu, duration)
    - Morph1: Animate Flesh (summon Flesh Atronarch)
    - Morph2: Animate Bones (Summon Bone Colossus)
    • Spirit Blast (like Mannimarco but smaller, two-tier AoE strike)
    - Morph1: Spirit Bombardment (+area, Mannimarco sized)
    - Morph2: Soul Blast (ignores some spell resistance)
    Ultimate: Soul Cage (like the Lich spell, but with extra damage in spell area)
    - Morph1: Soul Prison (+duration)
    - Morph2: Etheral Cage (+area)
    Passives:
    • Gravesinger: undead pets get extra damage resistance/HP
    • Necropotence: gain extra magica when necromancer pets are active
    • Soul Render: do bonus damage against enemies affected by necromancer abilities
    • Death Feeder: any time an enemy dies within 20 meters, gain health & magica
    ...although, the very same skill line could just as well be made into a "necromancer guild" line together with a TG/DB sized DLC... following a "infiltrate the remains of the worm cult, find out what their next dastardly scheme is, and stop it" plot...
    2rsksft6jmch.gif
    ...its a necromancer thing, don't worry about it :p;)
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    Necromancers would be ace to add to the game and a good class to play...
    Yes to the former part, not NO! to the latter.
    Yes, necromancers are part of the lore, and while antagonists in the main story, there IS ample evidence of necromancers opposing Mannimarco and his wormies (Vastarie in grahtwood for one)

But NO, they would NOT be a good CLASS to play!
    Because necromancy in ESO is just a -skill line-!
    ...and adding classes is really annoying for the old players among us who have been playing lots of characters already, and may have some which from theiur backstory totally would make good necromancers, and then feel very vexed if the powers that be added another new class so late into the game... I know i felt very vexed for just that reason when Warden came, and I would prefer not to feel such cexation again. So, it would be -way- better for -everyone- if they stopped adding classes, and added new classyness in other ways, ways that -everyone- can ejoy, no matter if they just discovered ESO, or have been playing since launch.
    Same for all other classes, really - so, either go with some "prestige class" concept, or just make more guilds...
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Yaaaaassss please.
    If thousands of people are running around Tamriel playing as assassins, then they should be able to play as necromancers, too...
    Indeed.
    Yes, necromancy is at the very least frowned upon if not outright illegal in almost every corner of tamriel (except the empire, which kinda is fallen anyhow).
    But then, so is murder.
    Heh, I totally would approve of any player necromancers using necromancy skills within sight of the city guard to get a hefty bounty. But that's about it, the illegality of it is no reason not to let players dabble in necromancy... (seeing how every player already did so during the rescue of abner tharn...)
    teiselaise wrote: »
    Necromancy is part of the conjuration school which we already have skills from on the sorcerer. I must admit I didn't read your post so apologies if you mentioned it.
    Exactly, it IS mentioned in the lore that necromancy is but a subset of conjuration.
    ...which is why I decided to add necromancer to my "class morph idea" as specialization for sorcerors, since they already have one foot in the conjuration school... it does make the most sense in my opinion (and would help diversify characters when different classes had different options to specialize!)
  • runesword007
    runesword007
    ✭✭
    would love to play a necromancer, I play one in Diablo 3 all the time. If they brought one to ESO i would defiantly be playing the crap out of it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Necromancy has always been a subset of conjuration. TES heroes have been able to summon skeletons, reanimated draugr and so on, even in environments like Morrowind where necromancy of non-beast races is illegal, or in Oblivion where necromancy is banned.

So there's good reason to go with the Oblivion method of "You can play like a necromancer but you can't join up with the Worm Cult for plot reasons," even here in ESO. A necromancer skill line would fit in nicely with previous TES games.

I didn’t argue against that.

However, you completely ignored the comment your replied to which clearly stated why necromancy is not available for ESO Heros.

Sorry I didn’t mean to revive this thread. Just noticed it hasn’t had a reply in a couple hours.
    Edited by idk on March 20, 2018 3:41PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn’t mean to revive this thread. Just noticed it hasn’t had a reply in a couple hours.
    ...its a discussion about necromancy.
    You have to expect it being raised from the dead every couple hours, and twice on sunday... ;)
    necromancer-gif-8.gif
    And again, Necromoncy class or skill line is extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon since it is obvious necromancy is the bain of everyone in Tamriel at the moment...
    Even as the bane of all things living in tamriel, which you are quite corrent in mentioning, necromancy still could be quite viable as PC sklill line, in a "fighting fire with fire" kind of sense. It worked for Vastarie after all...
    Though as I also mentioned, using it under the eyes of the law would be like murder in most places around tamriel... and rightfully ought to elicit a response if they ever decide to add it!
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and AGAIN: NO MORE PETS
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Kinda literally what necromancers do
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if it arose in some shape or form soon. What with all the assets that could be used from the Fang Lair. (I mean there's even an AoE ability held by one of those significant mob NPC's that has like a 0.6s interrupt window. Why even have that for an NPC? The ability itself isn't that powerful, and the time-window isn't enough to warrant any actual reaction. My guess is it's a necromancer player-usable ability to be used in the next Chapter).
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on March 20, 2018 7:39PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t argue against that.

However, you completely ignored the comment your replied to which clearly stated why necromancy is not available for ESO Heros.

Completely ignored? My point was that necromancy has always been available for Elder Scrolls Heroes, including the Oblivion Hero of Kvatch who was also fighting against Mannimarco and the Worm Cult. Would you like to tell me again why the Vestige can't possibly be a necromancer because they are fighting against Mannimarco and the Worm Cult?
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The orc says: No necromancers, no no.
  • Abysswarrior45
    Abysswarrior45
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like it already. Probably going to be broken as hell for an entire 2 patches in PVP. Would rather ZOS just keep the original 4 classes and leave it there.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never.
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    teiselaise wrote: »
    Exactly, it IS mentioned in the lore that necromancy is but a subset of conjuration.
    ...which is why I decided to add necromancer to my "class morph idea" as specialization for sorcerors, since they already have one foot in the conjuration school... it does make the most sense in my opinion (and would help diversify characters when different classes had different options to specialize!)

That would actually be nice, however, if they where to go down that path I would rather have them expanding on the illusion school on the nb.
    Argonian masterrace
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭
    very well thought out. just my opinion but i dont think player control of pets in this game is really its strong suit and this seems to be a few levels beyond where we are now. to steal an idea from dark age of camelot, what if, since the necromancer controls the minds of its pet(s), the player controlled the pet itself --its movement, actions, skills --while the necromancer was just an invulnerable thing next to it. once the pet died, the necromancer was exposed and coudl be killed.

i apologize if this is heresy to eso lore. i just think the last thing this game needs is more pets running around where the player's "mind control" of it exists merely as 'activate' and 'deactivate'
  • Yigrok
    Yigrok
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, here's another cool idea, in the spirit of making the game actually play like a TES game:
    Make the necromancy skill line available to every other class! YES! That's right, no more separate classes. that's now how TES worked in the past, and how it should work in ESO.
    Have new skill lines made available for everyone, in a separate tree under the Skills tab, like "Magic Schools" tab.

I know people will start yelling "But balancing issues!" and yes that's right, ZENI is having a hard time as it is now, but wth, I want more build diversity. It's their job to make things work, and it;s also their job to actually listen to their community when they are leaving feedback about a thing being either too OP or too under performing.

So yea, that's my preference. Make new class as skill lines. If it were up to me, there would be no "class" in this game, you would start the game, make a char, select race/gender/ally then you pop in the game and press K and see a whole bunch of skill line options to choose from. That would me the TES experience feel more complete and ppl would be able to make more diverse builds. Yes, some builds would end up to be too OP, but hey, that's what the nerf hammer is for!
    Edited by Yigrok on March 21, 2018 7:58AM