Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The Current State of ESO

• Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What does Wrobel have to do with the Crown Store? I mean, other than "nothing".

I just mean that thats all he is relatively useful for imo

What?
  • Iamth3wa1rus09
    @Kodrac
    meme
    Edited by Iamth3wa1rus09 on March 9, 2018 2:27PM
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This recap does not even match up with the skills in the build.

Two clearly differernt morphs.

Not saying Zaan is a balanced set but only a potato would die to 16k damage over 4 seconds. Zaan being the only source of damage is not viable, so your are QQ’ing over nothing.

The real proc meta was when I could viper/veli incap anyone and kill them within half a second, then move on the next target.

Or when a stam sorc would Taunt and 1-shot people with viper/tremorscale on their shield/1-hand bar.

i have 30k resists and 2k crit resists - this is 16k damage over 4 seconds. And what are you going on about skills?

The stam health tank has surprise attack on his bar.

The magblade in the recap is using the magic morph. Different build, different character.

You seem to just be trolling because you are new and salty at dying in PVP

It’s always easier to blame others over yourself, in this case you are blaming the whole game.
    Edited by KingYogi415 on March 9, 2018 2:29PM
  • Iamth3wa1rus09

Not saying Zaan is a balanced set but only a potato would die to 16k damage over 4 seconds. Zaan being the only source of damage is not viable, so your are QQ’ing over nothing.

The real proc meta was when I could viper/veli incap anyone and kill them within half a second, then move on the next target.

Or when a stam sorc would Taunt and 1-shot people with viper/tremorscale on their shield/1-hand bar.

i have 30k resists and 2k crit resists - this is 16k damage over 4 seconds. And what are you going on about skills?

The stam health tank has surprise attack on his bar.

The magblade in the recap is using the magic morph. Different build different character.

You seem to just be trolling because you are new and salty at dying in PVP

It’s always easier to blame others over yourself, in this case you are blaming the whole game.

He isn't stamina tho? xD - That is MY bar you are looking at...
    Edited by Iamth3wa1rus09 on March 9, 2018 2:29PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Its the skills of the 75k hp tank. Not his skills. He is not the one with the Zaan and Cal. Pay more attention before calling people trolls, new and salty.
    Edited by pieratsos on March 9, 2018 2:53PM
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Meme? I've not seen any eso memes outside of these forums - and i dont think they count...
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • Iamth3wa1rus09
    I'm not quite sure what this thread was SUPPOSED to be about I haven't slept in nearly 4 days, so my ability to think is diminishing rather quickly.
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk, OP. Unfortunately I can't answer you which state is ESO in. We don't even know who's the government overseeing ESO.
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    Wait so lets just take a step back for a second and look at a couple things: the pic from the 75k cal/zaan tank build is taken from inside the brand new limited dark brotherhood themed crown store house that costs $100USD. And the Nioh game play was “dodge left or right and unleash a combo before you have to dodge left or right again”

So we’re hating on the game but that $100 just incentivized more crownstore development and sales.

And were saying an equally if not more 2 dimensional game is “fluid and better combat”

Alllright. Welp. Inb4thelock

@Rickter Nioh is extremely far from being 2-dimensional. Lmao. As for unleashing combos and dodging? You’re damn right. I’m wearing light armor, so dodging is pretty much mandatory. I could sit there and block some attacks, as well counter and parry (Nioh has a myriad of options regarding combat m). But then I’d be out of stamina. And to be out of stamina, is essentially to allow yourself to be 1-shotted. Or close to a 1-shot.

You see... Nioh is like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne, in that is is VERY unforgiving for mistakes that you make. Every move you make has dire consequences. Every single move. No exaggeration. This is why such a complex system was created for this game, as doing things like swapping weapons mid-combo and parties become mandatory as you face stronger and stronger foes and players. After a while, calling yourself blocking an attack or combo becomes suicide. Where as you were better off just dodging the damage all together.

I mean... Put it like this. Have you ever had to fight a gigantic, angry, lightning, tiger demon? That also just so happens to spray venom from its snake-headed tail? That also can do “spin dashes” as if it’s Sonic the Hedgehog or Blanka? And can drop lightning bolts where you stand literally instantly? Leaving you with mere fractions of a second to avoid? Oh, and did I mention it can also fire a focused beam of electricity from its mouth? Among standard big cat swiped with its claws, and random thrashing about? No? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Nioh makes you encounter crap like that regularly. Lol.

Now you tell me in any other game (let alone ESO) where you have to encounter anything remotely close. Dark Souls 3 maybe, just maybe can be somewhat compared (Nioh, Bloodbourne, and Dark Souls make-up “The Trilogy” as it’s called). But even then, DS pales in comparison to what Nioh offers. Both in combat system, and scale of bosses. Let alone overall difficulty.

And by the way, I wasn’t BS’ing about the giant tiger thing. Go do a Google search for “Nioh: Nue Boss”. Lol.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic reason ESO is what it is:

PVP: Has taken up most of the combat balance and consideration and is sucking the life out of the game. Despite the fact it's inherently laggy and that it isn't what people come for 90% of the time and cant sustain itself souly on PVP, the game refuses to do anything other than PVP.

PVE: Gets near nothing but nerfs which we have to live with, meaning we dont retain players for PVE meaning PVE endgame content isn't refined or created at the same rate solo is.

The result is we focus souly on churn and nothing else.

How to fix it:

Seperate PVP and PVE. If not, just balance for PVE for a while. Make the endgame PVE experience more fun by lisening to the audience. I guarentee you'll see player retention.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

PVP: Has taken up most of the combat balance and consideration and is sucking the life out of the game. Despite the fact it's inherently laggy and that it isn't what people come for 90% of the time and cant sustain itself souly on PVP, the game refuses to do anything other than PVP.

PVE: Gets near nothing but nerfs which we have to live with, meaning we dont retain players for PVE meaning PVE endgame content isn't refined or created at the same rate solo is.

How to fix it:

Seperate PVP and PVE. If not, just balance for PVE for a while. Make the endgame PVE experience more fun by lisening to the audience. I guarentee you'll see player retention.

Separating both PvP and PvE is the only solution. As someone who plays both about equally it blows my mind that they continue to try and balance them both at the same time with the same nerfs. It's absolute insanity.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

How to fix it:

Separating both PvP and PvE is the only solution. As someone who plays both about equally it blows my mind that they continue to try and balance them both at the same time with the same nerfs. It's absolute insanity.

It is.

But either ZOS cant or ZOS wont. Until then you will see the game decline with sub-par balance and performance in both PVP and PVE until the game eventually hangs itself in it's unwillingness to improve.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like “I got splattered in PvP so now the game is broken!”

From the PvE side of things, the game is going pretty strong. Getting new content on a very regular basis. Hardly the sign of an unhealthy game.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »

From the PvE side of things, the game is going pretty strong. Getting new content on a very regular basis. Hardly the sign of an unhealthy game.

You'll see the people who regularly run those up and disappear once their limit for the nerfs is reached just like the people before them.

And it it'll keep happening until the game gets a grip. It's not the content rate that's the problem, it's longterm player retention, which isn't helped by the toxic community that endgame breeds, calling people who question status quo 'quitters' and such.

ZOS isn't the only thing turning people away from endgame.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on March 9, 2018 5:21PM
  • AjiBuster499
    AjiBuster499
    ✭✭✭

How to fix it:

I played a game once where the skills had both pve and pvp functions (as in they behaved differently in pve and pvp). Most of the time it was lower damage, longer cd, and higher cost, but there were several that functioned completely differently between the two. The devs also balanced them like they were different skills. Many times they would have similar changes (esp when the class was getting a full revamp/rework) but I think if ESO were to split skills (and possibly gear) apart with each having a different function in pvp and pve, then things might work. I can't see them balance two different things with skills that function the same in both.
    tfw your sig gets wound back in time.
    Pterenophobia is the fear of being tickled by feathers.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its easy to happen. Zaan procs. Takes a second to notice. Just as ur about to roll away u get stunned. After 2 more seconds u break stun and have no stamina to roll dodge. Zaan keeps going.

Cant believe the apologists on here who defend everything.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Its easy to happen. Zaan procs. Takes a second to notice. Just as ur about to roll away u get stunned. After 2 more seconds u break stun and have no stamina to roll dodge. Zaan keeps going.

Cant believe the apologists on here who defend everything.

I cant believe of the people who will attack anything and everything for the sake of PVP.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ch4mpTW so youre comparing an mmo to a single player dark souls esque twitch-dodge action adventure game?

two totally different genres and target audiences. The learning curve for ESO is already high enough, but you want to implement a thicker layer of mechanics that require little to NO server lag to execute properly for the sake of introducing your subjective definition of what requires "skill"?

cool. story. bro.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You'll see the people who regularly run those up and disappear once their limit for the nerfs is reached just like the people before them.

And it it'll keep happening until the game gets a grip. It's not the content rate that's the problem, it's longterm player retention, which isn't helped by the toxic community that endgame breeds, calling people who question status quo 'quitters' and such.

Sounded to me like the OP was complaining about the meta in PvP and blaming the crown store along with some guy for it.

As far as the PvE nerfs, those are just a fact of life in MMOs in general. Game balance is a never ending cycle. Gotta roll with the punches. Jumping to another game is a short term solution because it’s just going to happen there as well.

The only real way to avoid gameplay nerfs is to avoid online games as a whole, but MMOs in particular.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are based out of Maryland ... Hunt Valley, Maryland to be specific.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounded to me like the OP was complaining about the meta in PvP and blaming the crown store along with some guy for it.

As far as the PvE nerfs, those are just a fact of life in MMOs in general. Game balance is a never ending cycle. Gotta roll with the punches. Jumping to another game is a short term solution because it’s just going to happen there as well.

The only real way to avoid gameplay nerfs is to avoid online games as a whole, but MMOs in particular.

It isn't. Not on the scale that ESO has.

Comparing it to what I know of WoW, the reason ESO is so troublesome with the nerfs is because what is viable is so tenuous. In WoW, the game itself is balanced around classes that can be individually tinkered with and have enough substance to them to cushion the blow when things need tinkered with.

With ESO, so much between classes is shared, meaning that it's exponentially worse when they fiddle with these things. It gets even worse when you factor in PVP, which in and of itself is so different and requires so many different things that it makes the system incapable of doing both.

The problem isn't nerfs, but how the game did it's skill system. Now it's got to the point where what people rely on to get the job done is exactly what PVP has a problem with, and visa versa. Without adding further depth to the system and to the classes themselves so that they can survive on their own, you'll continue to see this problem. If a class cant inherently tank on it's own, it relies on heavy armor passives. When you screw with the passives, you damage the classes ability to tank in a far worse way than how WoW nerfs certain aspects. Apply this to any class and any roll and you see the problem. Now factor in PVP. That's where we are.

ZOS has written itself into a corner. Blame it's lack of foresight. This is not a product of MMO's in general, but a product of how ESO has chosen to run itself. It dismantled half of it's class mechanics, it's stat limiters, it fiddled with alot of pre-established systems that were there for a reason and thus exposed the problems in it's own class system.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on March 9, 2018 5:46PM
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Comparing it to what I know of WoW, the reason ESO is so troublesome with the nerfs is because what is viable is so tenuous. In WoW, the game itself is balanced around classes that can be individually tinkered with and have enough substance to them to cushion the blow when things need tinkered with.

With ESO, so much between classes is shared, meaning that it's exponentially worse when they fiddle with these things. It gets even worse when you factor in PVP, which in and of itself is so different and requires so many different things that it makes the system incapable of doing both.

The problem isn't nerfs, but how the game did it's skill system. Now it's got to the point where what people rely on to get the job done is exactly what PVP has a problem with, and visa versa. Without adding further depth to the system and to the classes themselves so that they can survive on their own, you'll continue to see this problem. If a class cant inherently tank on it's own, it relies on heavy armor passives. When you screw with the passives, you damage the classes ability to tank in a far worse way than how WoW nerfs certain aspects. Apply this to any class and any roll and you see the problem. Now factor in PVP. That's where we are.

ZOS has written itself into a corner. Blame it's lack of foresight. This is not a product of MMO's in general, but a product of how ESO has chosen to run itself. It dismantled half of it's class mechanics, it's stat limiters, it fiddled with alot of pre-established systems that were there for a reason and thus exposed the problems in it's own class system.

Yeah, I don’t know about that. I played WoW for a long time, like off and on for 13 years. People declared the end of the world arrived every time something got nerfed. Eventually it got to the point that Blizzard just pruned the skills to the point that it was impossible to screw up a character build, and they still nerfed things into the dirt. They still lost customers due to the nerfs, but they compounded those losses by oversimplifying the classes and gameplay.

I think ESO’s system is much better. Yeah, occasionally something will get nerfed and some Trial runners will claim the sky is falling because they lost 10% of their dps, or whatever. At least the game allows for build variety, and even a few mistakes here and there.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    reiverx wrote: »
    first and foremost eso has to make cash or we wont be playing it , so they need to make new items to make cash eso devs dont own the game , for them its a passion , its the shareholds who always want more .

bugs can take years to fix and even then there sometimes is a trade off . the game is more than playable even at times frustrating because of the hickups , better to help point out the bugs/issues so they can resolve them . to which takes time .

i am a tester for other games , can tell you its no easy task , these issues take time .

now you have got it off your chest do you feel more happy , or should we send you a foam brick to throw at the wall .

When you release software with known bugs, some of them game-breaking, then you know quality is not the priority going forward.

None of the bugs are "game-breaking" you can log in, you can play. There fore the game isn't broken. And they aren't releasing stuff they know is buggy. How many diffrent PC configurations do you think are used to play ESO? Now you go program a game with millions maybe billions lines of code that works flawlessly with all of them. Go on I'll wait.....
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L2QQ
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

How to fix it:

I played a game once where the skills had both pve and pvp functions (as in they behaved differently in pve and pvp). Most of the time it was lower damage, longer cd, and higher cost, but there were several that functioned completely differently between the two. The devs also balanced them like they were different skills. Many times they would have similar changes (esp when the class was getting a full revamp/rework) but I think if ESO were to split skills (and possibly gear) apart with each having a different function in pvp and pve, then things might work. I can't see them balance two different things with skills that function the same in both.

You are right. Certain skills just need to have it wrote in the tool-tips that it has reduced damage in Cyrodiil or range. Just take the most recent example of the destro ult, we could've kept the 10 meter range for PvE but in the tooltips state that the pvp range would be 8 meters. It's never been more apparent that they need to start doing this ASAP.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I don’t know about that. I played WoW for a long time, like off and on for 13 years. People declared the end of the world arrived every time something got nerfed. Eventually it got to the point that Blizzard just pruned the skills to the point that it was impossible to screw up a character build, and they still nerfed things into the dirt. They still lost customers due to the nerfs, but they compounded those losses by oversimplifying the classes and gameplay.

I think ESO’s system is much better. Yeah, occasionally something will get nerfed and some Trial runners will claim the sky is falling because they lost 10% of their dps, or whatever. At least the game allows for build variety, and even a few mistakes here and there.

I think ESO's system is exponentially worse given the fact it preaches choice yet gives none. Seems like you see what you wanna see. You like ESO so you dont see anything wrong with the system. Which is fine, but I dont think I'ma get through to you. Besides, my points stand on their own.

PS. Build variety? On normal, maybe. Anything else? There is none, and you are simply deluding yourself if you think there is on vet. You run the meta or you dont get very far.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on March 9, 2018 6:07PM
  • Cyborgdoom
    Cyborgdoom
    Soul Shriven
    I must say, being a software developer myself I understand bugs and I understand it does take time to iron out issues.

But some of the issues they been working on for far far too long. I would have been fired by now.

But anyhow I also wanted to touch on some of the comments about retention. I agree, there are things ZOS needs to do to improve this game more endgame wise to keep people interested

I left ESO for a year and recently came back, but still got the same issue with the game that made me leave. Once you are at endgame level it's like.... Now what? ... I'm not a PvP player mostly because I get torched every time I get into the mood to want to venture into Cyro .. I just simply suck at PvP.

So I do the PvE content and after grinding the same quests, same dungeons, same group content ... it's meh.

There is no sense of progression, and it's like reading the same book over and over after a while it's just boring.

What I think they need to do is revamp all the quests to be more progressive and effective on your character. So your decisions matter, and also make the content harder as you progress and earn champion points. Also for the quests randomize them from a pool of quests. So that each time you roll a new character the content is not the same. You may hit the same ones after doing them a few dozen times but not if they release new ones often enough... Sure I realize this can cost a lot of money but hell for what they charge for houses and such I think the investment would be sound.

Just make take into the game.

• reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reiverx wrote: »
    first and foremost eso has to make cash or we wont be playing it , so they need to make new items to make cash eso devs dont own the game , for them its a passion , its the shareholds who always want more .

bugs can take years to fix and even then there sometimes is a trade off . the game is more than playable even at times frustrating because of the hickups , better to help point out the bugs/issues so they can resolve them . to which takes time .

i am a tester for other games , can tell you its no easy task , these issues take time .

now you have got it off your chest do you feel more happy , or should we send you a foam brick to throw at the wall .

When you release software with known bugs, some of them game-breaking, then you know quality is not the priority going forward.

None of the bugs are "game-breaking" you can log in, you can play. There fore the game isn't broken. And they aren't releasing stuff they know is buggy. How many diffrent PC configurations do you think are used to play ESO? Now you go program a game with millions maybe billions lines of code that works flawlessly with all of them. Go on I'll wait.....

The bug where you got an infinite load screen in PVP when trying to wayshrine after dying was game breaking, and I find it hard to believe it got through QA unnoticed. This was on PS4 and XBox.

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think ESO's system is exponentially worse given the fact it preaches choice yet gives none. Seems like you see what you wanna see. You like ESO so you dont see anything wrong with the system. Which is fine, but I dont think I'ma get through to you. Besides, my points stand on their own.

PS. Build variety? On normal, maybe. Anything else? There is none, and you are simply deluding yourself if you think there is on vet. You run the meta or you dont get very far.

Ok. It’s just based on my personal experience with both design philosophies. Having spent quite a bit of time playing both, along with about 13 other MMOs over the years, that is the conclusion I’ve come to.

I would recommend that you “see for yourself”, but my feelings about Blizzard resemble your expressions about Zos. Probably worse, since I have a hard time not overworking the profanity filter every time I walk about WoW. So, please don’t give them your money, trust me, they don’t deserve it.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrobel and his team only had one job, and honestly they ruined it.