Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What playable race would you like to see added to ESO?

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    I like the idea of real bird people, that'd be cool, not sure if they could do it without the lore people coming and screaming though.

Seriously though, the lore is killing a lot of creativity here lol
    ...there ya go Lore!
    Unfortunatley, the Bird Men mentioned in that sliver of the "Father of the Niben" lore seem to have become extinct in the late merethic era, or something like that - which a latter part of the very same piece does mention. ;)
    They did live around the area that later would become Imperial City and the center of cyrodil... and are very long gone at the time of ESO (it is suspected, the Khajiit were involved in their extinction somehow, though who knows, might just as well have been the forefathers of the ayleids who did them in so they could build their empire around cyrodil...).

It may be possible that eso-era harpies are descendent from those merethic era bird men though. but before someone asks, they still would not be viable as player race due to being somewhat too birdy... one of the main criteria any "new race" would have to fulfill would be working with all the established animations, and that rules out anything that is too far off from the "humanoid" template. (if only because we cannot expect them to spend too much work on coding entirely new animations!)

• Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    Split Imperials into Colovians and Nibenese.

Split Khajiit into their different sub-species.

Imga.
    Edited by Danel_Vadan on March 11, 2018 12:33AM
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    necr0o wrote: »
    Sload...

hk0mAuu.jpg
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tsaesci.

DHanqL1.jpg
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Arrille
    Arrille
    ✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »
    Wookiees.

What about the droid attack on the Wookies?
    "Welcome to Arrille's Tradehouse. I barter for goods or coin. I also have a small selection of spells for sale. No credit. You want a little advice? That's free. That's ALL that's free. Would you like to hear about our most popular potions? Our most popular scrolls?"
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Deadric Race! Or shall be accurate and say. Dremora, humanoid Deadra.

Divided in three Types
    ~Dark Seducers
    ~The Xivilai
    ~Golden Saints

Starting Location/Realm: The Plane of Oblivion, The ability to chose one of the Deadric entities/Gods. Favoured of Hermaeus Mora /Clavicus Vile, Each of the Gods provides the Minor bonuses,titles or rewards.

Special Storyline and they could be a part of Futuristic add on but I suppose such a project would be too difficult and monumental, not to mention the scenario of Dremora invading Nirn, they already are, It would be odd for us players. A constant clashes..

Unique Passive Racials and Diabolical Twisted Pets.

New Class exclusively for Dremora: Necromancer or Shaman with immensely powerful Conjuration skills and so on...

Special ranks obtained through notable quests,skills or PVP such are: Dremora Valkynaz, Dremora Berserker or Dremora Bonelord.

As for other races, I have very little knowledge. I am was browsing through wikia and I noticed Velothi and Ayleid.

Edited by Vanya on March 17, 2018 11:59AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Deadric Race! Or shall be accurate and say. Dremora, humanoid Deadra...
    There are a few more types - Golden Saints and Dark Seducers are more Shoegoraths thing, really...
    ...but in the end, daedric races really would not work with the ESO plot setup. Since they are quintessentially "demons", and noone in tamriel would believe they would honestly help them with their problems, so giving quests to one such would make no sense at all, for most anyone. As I said before.
    Froil wrote: »
    Dremora (humanoid daedra) just doesn't make sense.
    Exactly.
    Oh, sure, it would be "cool" - but not in this game, with that sort of storyline.
    Maybe if they ever make a special TES game for it... I could see that "The Elder Scrolls - Padomays Shadow" or something, where you start as one of the humanoid daedric races and quest through oblibion and then mundus... fighting some cosmic calamity that threatend both worlds... have all the critters and denizens of tamriel as "mobs" and "adventurer parties" as bossfights... sounds neat, but not in ESO!
    It still would be nifty, but... not in this game.
    As for other races, I have very little knowledge. I am was browsing through wikia and I noticed Velothi and Ayleid.
    Ayleids died off a long time ago, they were those heartland elves who reigned in Cyrodil long before the empire of man, were partial to daedra worship, slavery and other cruel misdeeds, and fell in the alessian rebellions during the first era over three thousand years before ESO, becoming fewer and fewer since then until at the time of ESO, all that remains of their culture are a lot of crumbling ruins and the "ancient elf" crafting motiv...
    ...and Velothi were those Chimer who followed the prophet Veloth, by now turned into Dunmer. They are all gone and changed, their descendants the ash-skinned, blood-eyes children of morrowind thanks to Azuras curse.

Both not really applicable as player race...
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Deadric Race! Or shall be accurate and say. Dremora, humanoid Deadra...
    There are a few more types - Golden Saints and Dark Seducers are more Shoegoraths thing, really...
    ...but in the end, daedric races really would not work with the ESO plot setup. Since they are quintessentially "demons", and noone in tamriel would believe they would honestly help them with their problems, so giving quests to one such would make no sense at all, for most anyone. As I said before.
    Froil wrote: »
    Dremora (humanoid daedra) just doesn't make sense.
    Exactly.
    Oh, sure, it would be "cool" - but not in this game, with that sort of storyline.
    Maybe if they ever make a special TES game for it... I could see that "The Elder Scrolls - Padomays Shadow" or something, where you start as one of the humanoid daedric races and quest through oblibion and then mundus... fighting some cosmic calamity that threatend both worlds... have all the critters and denizens of tamriel as "mobs" and "adventurer parties" as bossfights... sounds neat, but not in ESO!
    It still would be nifty, but... not in this game.
    Ayleids died off a long time ago, they were those heartland elves who reigned in Cyrodil long before the empire of man, were partial to daedra worship, slavery and other cruel misdeeds, and fell in the alessian rebellions during the first era over three thousand years before ESO, becoming fewer and fewer since then until at the time of ESO, all that remains of their culture are a lot of crumbling ruins and the "ancient elf" crafting motiv...
    ...and Velothi were those Chimer who followed the prophet Veloth, by now turned into Dunmer. They are all gone and changed, their descendants the ash-skinned, blood-eyes children of morrowind thanks to Azuras curse.

Both not really applicable as player race...

So what is your suggestion for a new playable race? I don't think you ever actually made one lol... rather just quoted everyone else
    Edited by Nighn_9 on March 17, 2018 12:21PM
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nighn_9 wrote: »
    So what is your suggestion for a new playable race? I don't think you ever actually made one lol... rather just quoted everyone else
    That IS what happens when others say already say it. ;)
    And if you read my first post, you would have noticed, as there is one race where I object to someone else calling them "not plausible" :p;)
    I of course am rooting for maormer, as I usually am when the matter comes up!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3647061/#Comment_3647061
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4412326/#Comment_4412326
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4533229/#Comment_4533229
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4786740/#Comment_4786740

But I try to spread my thoughts wider and give all options consideration (though of course, some options really are not viable as player race due to lore or game constraints). As I have often before.
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arent the maormer always naked though in lore :s

or am i thinking of another race?
    Edited by Nighn_9 on March 17, 2018 1:24PM
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nighn_9 wrote: »
    arent the maormer always naked though in lore :s

or am i thinking of another race?

Those were the kothringi I believe
    I want spell crafting.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only race that would be lore friendly to add would be the Imga.

There is absolutely no lore friendly way to make Sload/Daedra/Maomer/etc. work at all because either they're an invading entity and have no place on Tamriel or are extinct as far as the Lore goes.
    Argonian forever
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Storm_knight22 ohh yeah that's right
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we ever got a new playable race it would have to be humanoid for sure, because all of the armor in game would have to be able to work with that race
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    halfbreeds!

like i pick orc and high elf and get half the bonsuses of them all!!!!

"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭

There is absolutely no lore friendly way to make Sload/Daedra/Maomer/etc. work at all because either they're an invading entity and have no place on Tamriel or are extinct as far as the Lore goes.

You are forgetting the goblins. They helped build the original orsinium and worship a god called Muluk (sound familiar?) So they might be viable.

As for the lilmothiit there is no confirmation that they are extinct, Black marsh has never been fully explored. Not even during the time of the Septim dynasty. Its entirely possible that they persist.

.The Imga would also be an interesting addition.
    I want spell crafting.
  • Okiir
    Okiir
    ✭✭✭
    I posted the following suggestion on the ESO subreddit a few weeks ago. Basically adding sub-races, instead of adding a whole new race.

Six new Uncommon Races (sub-races) is added to the game, 2 for each alliance.
    (It's of course not necessary to add all in one update. Instead Uncommon Races could be added continuously through DLCs. The Naga for example could be added in the Murkmire DLC and be unlocked through an Achievement once you've completed the zone).

Also, on the subject of Orsimer being Mer, I will quote what I wrote on the subreddit:
    "...in order to add 2 new races per alliance I found this to be the most logical.
    Also, humans and elves typically consider Orcs a beast-race anyway (along with Khajiit and Argonian). And an orc would of course never refer to himself as an elf"

x1qo8fi8qzj01.png

Reference artwork used:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QoBbE
    http://bloodofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Half_Orcs
    http://www.artofsamhogg.com/hunt
    elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Khajiit_(Legends)
    https://www.deviantart.com/art/Cheetara-Portrait-258475329
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Naga
    https://lord-of-the-slugs.deviantart.com/art/Lizardman-411773861
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I pointed out before, that assumption is in error.
    Yes, some races are "invading entities" - such as the imperials, and races from "other alliances". But we can still play those... as I keep saying, playing a maormer exiled from their homelands would make no more or no less sense as an imperial who lost their empire due to backstory...
    Of course, there are also other reasons... Sload would not work due to physical contraits - can't really expect slubs that can barely support themselves on land to make viable player characters. Same for all other non-humanoid or non-PC-size-range races like Giants, Ogres, Minotaurs, etc. Daedra would not work because of the game story setup. And Dwemer, Snow Elves, Ayleids, and the like are all gone extinct long before the time of ESO...
    But the races which are still around, humanoid, and at least as intelligent as the average barbarian would be entirely viable as an "uncommon" (aka, pay loads of crowns for it) player race!

The main point about opening races for player character consideration would be - the game models, and the crafting style.
    There are some crafting styles already there - for Goblins (primal); for Reachmen (barbaric); for Maormer (not currently available for PC crafting, but its basically sleeveless ancient elf) - it would make a lot of sense to start with those.
    And there are some races already in the game as well, as NPCs - Maormer, Reachmen, Goblins...

Thus if they wanted to make a release to "test the waters" so to speak... those would make a perfect first trial run. Little work for them, and profit. And if it goes well, -then- they can think about adding races they would have to do more about...
    Okiir wrote: »
    I posted the following suggestion on the ESO subreddit a few weeks ago. Basically adding sub-races, instead of adding a whole new race.

Six new Uncommon Races (sub-races) is added to the game, 2 for each alliance...
    Hmmm... not so well fitting with the lore.
    For one, there are no "half-orcs" in the ESO lore. Well, there are, but they are no "sub-race", but just orcs with other races features or other races with slightly orcish features, depending on who the mother was. Why? Because the powers that be have written this into the lore, kids in Tamriel -Always- are the race of their mother, with just traces of their father for some mystic reason.
    For another, there are no "wild orcs" in tamriel, there are "wood orcs", which are not a seperate race, but merely orcs who live in Valenwood (which is nowhere near DC territory, just to be clear) and are made fun of by all the other orcs for xenophobia, primitive lifestyle and frequent intermarriage between cousins. Kinda... like a tamriel-tastic clichee of a certan subrace of humanity from the southern americans... no, wait, that isn't a subrace either, that's just silly slander! All the other "wild" orcs you may meet are just normal Orsimer orcs that live a bit more on the rural side them some. Just like Ashlanders are dunmer who live a bit more on the rural side.

The Khajiiti and Argonian sub-races might be worthy of consideration... though as you noticed, allowing them would unbalance the race spread. And adding Orcimer races to the DC spread is for one lorebreaking, for another making little sense since it would weight the racial spread too heavily towards those races that got subraces added... (oh, and by the way... the generally considered distribution is men (humans) - mer (elves) - betmer (beastfolk) (with the orcs considered mer by some, betmer by others - but then, the khajiit are also rumored to have mer origins, so...)
    Also, some of it might just me cosmetics... who is to say that a Khajiit at the upper limit of the height slider is not already a Cathay-Raht?

Or this could be done with giving us crown store unlockable chargen appearance options... like they could add a nord "Titanborn" option to make extra-large nord characters, there could be the same option for khajiit as "Cathay-Raht"... and an option for colorful skin patterns for argonians as "Paatru" unlock, black hair for altmer as "Ayleid blood" unlock, and loads more besides! ;) I for one would like that more then messing with "subraces"...

In the end, IF the people at ZOS go to the trouble of adding new races, they -certaily- will lock them behind a crown payment. And as such, any new race options for players will come just like imperials - as an crown-unlockable option.
    So, we can forget any "just add uncommon races to alliances" ideas, since that would not get them the best profit for their efforts.

Thus it is way more likely they would follow the "imperial" model, and make story-antagonist races available as player characters for a price. And in that line of thought... the most likely candidates are still, Maormer exiles, possibly also Goblins, and maaaybe Reachmen if they decide to make them a seperate race and not just rural-minded bretons... And later on, if it brings them profits they like, possibly others that cost them a bit more effort to bring to ESO life... the Avakiri races, or Imga, perhaps even the last remaining Lilmothiit or Kothringi...
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw races. Fix the passives of our current ones. I hate how all my stam toons have to be redguard. Yeah, I know I can roll an imperial one or whatever but I kinda tend to lean towards getting the most out of my toons which means I'm stuck goin redguard.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm up for playing as Dremora race with it's own large campaign, spells, weapons, skins and tattooes. Play on bad side for a longer moment. Stay away from being an endless hero! Play Dark Side like SWTOR's Sith in Elder Scrolls Lore.
    A series of quests leading from the underworld up to the surface and beyond. Visit strange places be exploited by daedric fallen deities. First allied with Molag Bal then betray him by refusing to slay all the mortals of Nirn, eventually to fall at the end of story and be reborn again and again. So many experiences awaits with this mysterious race.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Zeni0s
    Zeni0s
    ✭✭
    Game master A kind of Draugr.

Or a dwemmer centurion from the next era >:)
    Edited by Zeni0s on March 30, 2018 10:34AM
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reachmen
    Maormer

I think both of those are lore friendly and find it difficult to justify all of them as hostile people.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow elves and Maomer would be cool provided both came with decent sized DLC's to introduce them.

Specifically, Snow elf architecture shown in Skyrim - The Chantry, was really cool. Seeing more of that would be pleasing.

PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • ForTheEmpire
    How about Uruk-hai? That would be the second hybrid race in the game after Breton
    They shall have melee and armor bonuses and a high chance to receive fresh meat when looting bodies

latest?cb=20131229162135&path-prefix=fr

artem-demura-uruk2.jpg?1464886929

86-01-01632_LOTR_Uruk_Swordsman_Figure_002.jpg

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okiir wrote: »

Six new Uncommon Races (sub-races) is added to the game, 2 for each alliance.
    (It's of course not necessary to add all in one update. Instead Uncommon Races could be added continuously through DLCs. The Naga for example could be added in the Murkmire DLC and be unlocked through an Achievement once you've completed the zone).

Also, on the subject of Orsimer being Mer, I will quote what I wrote on the subreddit:
    "...in order to add 2 new races per alliance I found this to be the most logical.
    Also, humans and elves typically consider Orcs a beast-race anyway (along with Khajiit and Argonian). And an orc would of course never refer to himself as an elf"

x1qo8fi8qzj01.png

Reference artwork used:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QoBbE
    http://bloodofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Half_Orcs
    http://www.artofsamhogg.com/hunt
    elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Khajiit_(Legends)
    https://www.deviantart.com/art/Cheetara-Portrait-258475329
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Naga
    https://lord-of-the-slugs.deviantart.com/art/Lizardman-411773861

This is the best idea I´ve read here. Awesome! Would really love to see this implemented!
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeni0s wrote: »
    A kind of Draugr...
    That would be a world skill line status change like "Vampire" or "Werewolf", not a race.
    A bit off topic, but entirely possible!
    They could definitely make some "undead" status, mututally exclusive with bloodsuckers and part-time furries, though it likely would have some -hefty- penalties, like... kill on sight by all guards and such, since draugr (aka, stamina undead) or liches (aka, magica undead) could not exactly pass for mortals as untransformed werewolves or vampires in torchlight could. (not that I think they ought to get a free pass either, but having the justice guards reacting to vamps who let their monster show and werewolves who furry out in towen is a different discussion)
    Snow elves and Maomer would be cool provided both came with decent sized DLC's to introduce them...
    Maormer yes, but snow elves are looong gone by the time of ESO. Very long. Thousands of years long.
    Well, there might be some in hiding still, like a certain paladin we can meet in the Skyrim dawnguard expansion, but if so, they kept in hiding to not make it into the lore, and thus are unsuitable as player characters...
    How about Uruk-hai?
    Wrong universe. Wrong license. Wrong idea...

The orsimer in the elder scrolls universe are -actually- closer to uruk-hai then middle earth orcs anyhow.

But the point is, it would be a bad idea to just throw the elder scrolls lore out of the window and add races that do not belong, and a even worse idea to add races that belong to a different universe, different license, different background. And not in the least because then they would get sued by whoever paid for the LotR license!
  • Quicknez
    Quicknez
    Dremora or zombies. Also how about adding a flying mount?
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any race added would likely retconn lore around that particular race. So if youre a lorebeard, or someone that loves the lore and regularly gets upset when its messed with. Youre not going to enjoy any additions of a new playable race.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax