The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

So where's the Martial Arts class?

AuldWolf
AuldWolf
✭✭✭✭✭
The reason I bring this up is because there are loads of hints of this with anything khajiiti, but the latest outfit added for the khajiit is an interesting mix of an Indian martial arts outfit (the pants, specifically), the sash of a Chinese kung fu gi (but tied like a karate gi), and the torso covering is a karate gi through and through. If there was a martial arts class to accompany this outfit, I'd be on top of it in an instant. I really feel that would give ESO some more flavour, too, and it would give the khajiit some more attention. If you're planning an Elsweyr expansion, that would be the perfect accompaniment.

Martial arts dodge tanks in Champions Online were extremely popular and well loved, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people miss them. So if you were able to recapture some of the sense of what CO had done with martial arts you'd likely attract at least some of their customers.

Just a thought.

Edited: Typos.
Edited by AuldWolf on February 28, 2018 6:46PM
  • Zalicius
    Zalicius
    ✭✭✭
    Enter the Dragon Knight! :p
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my guildies has a character that does not use weapons and just punches his way through the game.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zalicius wrote: »

Indeed, Dragonknights are the martial artists in this game according to the lore, they inherited Akaviri martial arts which emulate dragons (let's say it's dragon style kung fu).

Now, I suppose you want a unarmed combat class, OP, I believe it could fit better as a new skill line.
    Edited by Stania on February 28, 2018 7:10PM
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, an unarmed combatant is always at a distinct disadvantage to an armed combatant in any conflict.

Martial arts could be some form of skill line that can be used with any weapon equipped, as a complimentary sort of thing, but it should not be a "class" at all
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm being a bit drastic at this moment but if they ever add kung-fu classes to this game, I'll quit. There are plenty of other MMORPGs with those classes and there are enough eastern-flavoured games already. No thanks.
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @AuldWolf the same place where Fist Weapons lie.
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm being a bit drastic at this moment but if they ever add kung-fu classes to this game, I'll quit. There are plenty of other MMORPGs with those classes and there are enough eastern-flavoured games already. No thanks.

Unarmed/hand-to-hand is a legitimate skill line in all of the elder scrolls games i can remember...
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unarmed/hand-to-hand is a legitimate skill line in all of the elder scrolls games i can remember...

Yes, a skill line, not an entire class revolving around it. And even in that case I'd like to see other skill lines first, like spears.
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last Martial Arts Class in TES was in Oblivion. Skyrim's Gloves of the Pugilist really don't count, as fun as it is to punch dragons to death.

• JiKama
    JiKama
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pandaren best race!!!! Ooops.... Wrong game :p
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dental Appointment?
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • mhc9840
    mhc9840
    'Unarmed as Class' may be a bit awkward for the system. Since it requires full three skill lines, and the class skills can be used by any weapons.

But as a 'Weapon Skill', makes more sense. They could make use of 'Fist Weapons', which would be much easier to make & balance than using no weapons (think of weapon swapping, traits, etc). However, such has not been in TES series, while bare hands worked somewhat.
    Unarmed Fighter
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don;t know about any of you, but unarmed duels are a ton of fun, especially when you can punch someone so hard they turn into a pile of dust.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight class description say 'they combine the martial arts with magic'. Supposed to be deadly but you'd know it is not deadly anymore tbh if you have played and faced against one. Martial arts is technically anything that has to do with "martial" acts anyways. Templars, NBs, Sorcs and Warden all do their own martial arts.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be a skill line separate from weapons with abilities that can be used regardless of weapon type. That way you can compliment your dw or staff or 2h or whatever with leg sweeps, shoulder rushes, disarms, etc.

As its own weapon type though... Not seeing that happening or ever being useful
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • DuckNoodles
    DuckNoodles
    ✭✭✭
    New Monk class. Please.
  • KingofAnnwn
    KingofAnnwn
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Should be a skill line separate from weapons with abilities that can be used regardless of weapon type. That way you can compliment your dw or staff or 2h or whatever with leg sweeps, shoulder rushes, disarms, etc.

As its own weapon type though... Not seeing that happening or ever being useful

Being able to combine martial art skills with the combat system now would freshen it up imho. It would also add some variety too. PvP would be a lot more interesting to participate in/observe.
    Xbox One (Very Rare)
    DC - Gwenhwyfar Gwraig - Redguard Vamp Stamplar
    DC - Kiarina Florcht - Redguard Stamden
    PC
    AD - Lilwen Haf - Altmer Mag Sorc
    EP - Tarmena Diloren - Dunmer Magblade
    DC - Eletti Ghellon - Redguard Stamblade
    PS5
    DC - Arianwen Adahl - Breton Magcro
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiiti monk martial arts class would be fun, and I could already tell you the names of the three class skill lines: Goutfang, Whispering Claw, and Rawlith Khaj. What they would do however, I have no idea, outside of being martial artsy.
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its in Absolver which is where it belongs, lovely game.
    EU PS4
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AuldWolf wrote: »
    So where's the Martial Arts class?
    They all are, and they all aren't.

Any class skill is more or less "magic" and thus not figuring into any "martial arts class" - what you are looking for would be some "brawling" skill I am guessing...
    ...though one -could- consider some of the stamina class skill morphs to be "chi magic". And the fighters guild skills as well.
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I bring this up is because there are loads of hints of this with anything khajiiti, but the latest outfit added for the khajiit is an interesting mix of an Indian martial arts outfit (the pants, specifically), the sash of a Chinese kung fu gi (but tied like a karate gi), and the torso covering is a karate gi through and through. If there was a martial arts class to accompany this outfit, I'd be on top of it in an instant. I really feel that would give ESO some more flavour, too, and it would give the khajiit some more attention. If you're planning an Elsweyr expansion, that would be the perfect accompaniment.

Martial arts dodge tanks in Champions Online were extremely popular and well loved, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people miss them. So if you were able to recapture some of the sense of what CO had done with martial arts you'd likely attract at least some of their customers.

Just a thought.

Edited: Typos.

just watch anime bro
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    Khajiiti monk martial arts class would be fun, and I could already tell you the names of the three class skill lines: Goutfang, Whispering Claw, and Rawlith Khaj. What they would do however, I have no idea, outside of being martial artsy.

Seems to khajit-oriented... Perhaps something more generic?
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    An unarmed skill line would be awesome! The ultimate could be that kick the first boss in Blackheart Haven does!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!#!1
  • Spurius_Lucilius
    Spurius_Lucilius
    ✭✭✭
    The game already has a Unarmed skill: Overload.
    PC NA Casual/PVP
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly the unarmed skill line in previous TES games didn't actually let you kill anything, you just knocked them out, so it wasn't really something you could use in combat situations, it was mainly for getting into fights with otherwise friendly/netural NPCs. I still liked it though, especially because my first character was always a khajit and they got an automatic bonus to unarmed combat because of their claws.

They could do something similar in ESO, but like other people said it would have to be a weapon skill line instead of a whole class.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also want bikini plate armor and pandas.. .oh wait that's WoW.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stania wrote: »
    Zalicius wrote: »

Indeed, Dragonknights are the martial artists in this game according to the lore, they inherited Akaviri martial arts which emulate dragons (let's say it's dragon style kung fu).

Now, I suppose you want a unarmed combat class, OP, I believe it could fit better as a new skill line.

I couldn't find anything in the lore that says Dragonknights inherited Akaviri martial arts. What was said was that dragonknights use the ancient Akaviri martial art tradition of battle-spirit.

The only reference to battle-spirit I could find is what occurs in Cyrodiil, and I seriously doubt that has anything to do with the Akaviri. My guess, is that the Akaviri battle-spirit has something to do with a type of meditation to gain or to focus inner strength and has nothing to do with a physical fighting style. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I see a dragonknight in action I think 'dragon' ... not 'Jackie Chan.'

Personally, I don't think any of the existing classes or skill lines focus on martial arts and, yes, I too would like to see it added to the game (lore-based of course).
    Edited by Maryal on March 4, 2018 3:07PM
  • Okiir
    Okiir
    ✭✭✭
    ...the latest outfit added for the khajiit is an interesting mix of an Indian martial arts outfit (the pants, specifically), the sash of a Chinese kung fu gi (but tied like a karate gi), and the torso covering is a karate gi through and through.

What outfit?
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Temples at Khenarti's Roost
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okiir wrote: »
    ...the latest outfit added for the khajiit is an interesting mix of an Indian martial arts outfit (the pants, specifically), the sash of a Chinese kung fu gi (but tied like a karate gi), and the torso covering is a karate gi through and through.

What outfit?

There were two new khajiit themed costumes announced in the March crownstore showcase: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26325

But khajiit culture has always had a lot of Asian influences (more South Asian than Chinese/Japanese though) so it's not surprising they'd wear clothes similar to traditional martial arts costumes. There's absolutely nothing in either costume's description to suggest that's what they're used for.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"