The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So where's the Martial Arts class?

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every stam class? It doesn't have to be asian themed or unarmed to be a martial art.

If we have to go specifically on asian themes, then maybe the next expansion will have a hint of more with the whole tseaci motif coming out and all that?

Threads like this always seem to lead toward people wanting monks/hand-to-hand classes, something I'm not a fan of. Most of those martial artists also trained with weapons and any fight you were in, you'd always use the choice to have a weapon - the reach/extra damaging components are way more valuable than a fist. Yes, I know with magic used as an excuse you can make an excuse up for any special result you want, but if I rolled out a monk class I'd make the light/heavy attacks do like 10% of the damage of any attack using a weapon and make the range appropriately short as well.

If I was going to add a monk class to the game, I'm not sure if it would be a class or more as a skill line like DB or TG and the like. You could have added stuff like using a quarterstaff instead of an ice staff for tanking - channeling your magic (chi-like) to use for blocking instead of stam. And then maybe added some actual skill powers that could be like magically powered punches and the like instead of just going all out into trying to make unarmed people be balanced with weapon-wielders. Or just other similar powers to what we see of martial arts in fantasy instead of just straight hand-to-hand stuff, then it would allow everyone to mix into "martial arts" and not just make a new class.

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be the point? They would have to add new animations to the game that no one would ever see if they want to be "effective" thanks to animation canceling.... lol :wink:

Are we talking martial arts or unarmed skill line? There is a difference as martial arts can include weapons.

Either would be alright by me, but building a whole class around it isn't very likely as you would need stamina and magicka morphs. ZOS also I don't think would be up to the challenge of doing it right and balanced either.

A new skill line would be best I think, whether it's a weapon skill line of unarmed or a world/guild skill of martial arts that allows use of current weapons.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its supposed to be stamDk.

a.k.a. my signature.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on March 4, 2018 5:09PM
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually now that I think of it, maybe a new weapon skill line would work for ZOS and unarmed might just do it.

With all their talk of making hybrid builds viable this could work. Weapon skill line that draws from both magicka and stamina.

Certain stuns, disrupts, etc could be stamina based and damage abilities be empowered by magicka so that they can dish out as much damage as a weapon.

Who knows though...
  • Okiir
    Okiir
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Okiir wrote: »
    AuldWolf wrote: »
    ...the latest outfit added for the khajiit is an interesting mix of an Indian martial arts outfit (the pants, specifically), the sash of a Chinese kung fu gi (but tied like a karate gi), and the torso covering is a karate gi through and through.

What outfit?

There were two new khajiit themed costumes announced in the March crownstore showcase: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26325

But khajiit culture has always had a lot of Asian influences (more South Asian than Chinese/Japanese though) so it's not surprising they'd wear clothes similar to traditional martial arts costumes. There's absolutely nothing in either costume's description to suggest that's what they're used for.

Ah, ok.. was a bit confused. Thought he was referring to the Tsaesci Style, which is Akaviri.
    Edited by Okiir on March 4, 2018 5:21PM