Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What do you believe is the fate of ESO?

Lunaugh
Lunaugh
✭✭✭
If ‘other’ please elaborate. If anything else please elaborate or comment
Edited by Lunaugh on February 25, 2018 5:26PM
dataOutput ={ }
function: ConvertMagica (dataOutput, magicaInput, skill,fn)
>>> if skill then do
>>>>>> magicaInput = fn(skill)
>>>>>>table.insert(dataOutput, magicaInput)
>>>end
end

What do you believe is the fate of ESO? 274 votes

ESO will evolve alongside the gaming industry, experiencing massive overhauls in the future
36%
ArobainDysturbeditsfatbassMadyHrogunIruil_ESORebFlynchaubrey.baconb16_ESOkwisatzKetarmishMW2Kxenowarrior92eb17_ESOShimmerElijah_CrowAlisyraTanis-StormbindertwnhnybottleofsyrupCously 101 votes
ESO will continue to add a litany of content but cease evolution, slogging forward and paving the way for a new Elder Scrolls MMO which embraces future tech (100% seperate from ESO, apart from maybe the developer)
21%
CireousGilvothoghannon_ESOJasmineMoldoviaPlagueSDAimorakillimandrosb16_ESOKnootewootheledironDominion_MiragesclocksstoppeAlex_LexIdinuseKomorikidPathNyghthowlerTannus15Lynx7386DimentizaDemycilian 60 votes
ESO will continue.... litany of content.... cease evolution.... no future for Elder Scrolls in the world of MMO
24%
fastolfv_ESOnavystylz_ESOMoloch1514aarolmstedb14_ESOAnimus-ESODTStormfoxNebthet78vrineAektannCrumornkojoutechnohicvyndral13preub18_ESOWifeaggro13Phyllyatplink3r1Jade1986schroed360EdziuRobvenom 68 votes
Other.....
16%
SirAndyItsMeTooYolokin_SwagonbornNewBlacksmurfWhiteCoatSyndromeDracaneLadyAstrumSantieClawszariadennissomb16_ESOVhozekknaveofenglandKolacheGrimm13temjiuRomoLettigallMayraelSav72gootdude 45 votes
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO will continue to add a litany of content but cease evolution, slogging forward and paving the way for a new Elder Scrolls MMO which embraces future tech (100% seperate from ESO, apart from maybe the developer)
    ESO will continue to exist.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO will evolve alongside the gaming industry, experiencing massive overhauls in the future
    ESO has seen many major improvements since its launch. It has made leap after leap. I think it will be fine
  • Lunaugh
    Lunaugh
    ✭✭✭
    I love ESO, and I’d love to see it evolve with the gaming industry.
    Though this is the fate I wish for it, past experiences and other MMORPG titles lead me to believe the more likely fate is continued content without graphic/model overhauls or new-tech integration.
    I feel that the most likely scenario is that ESO continues to exist for those who have committed too much to start again anew, or who would rather not move to a new and unfamiliar playscape; to continue financing a new MMORPG for the Elder Scrolls which fully integrates with future tech (VR anyone?)

On another thought path, Elder scrolls may take a new path with Bethesda, moving from MMO to VR, Lan connections and private servers. I am certain that even without the Elder Scrolls, Zenimax would produce a new MMORPG with future tech. I look forward to the replies herein.
    Edited by Lunaugh on February 25, 2018 5:39PM
    dataOutput ={ }
    >>> if skill then do
    >>>end
    end
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    ESO will continue to exist.

Everything will :)
  • Robvenom
    Robvenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO will continue.... litany of content.... cease evolution.... no future for Elder Scrolls in the world of MMO
    Depends if they continue to release great content or not. There are a lot of good MMO's that are coming out between 2018-2020 and they will certainly hurt the playerbase not just in ESO but all MMO's.

We have had the same MMO's for too many years now with nothing new challenging them to be better. GW2, ESO, WoW, BDO, FF, and 'insert random crap asian mmo here"

Crowfall, Ashes of creation, Chronicles of Elyria, Pantheon, Camelot Unchained are all coming (eventually) and will shake things up.

Until then, ESO is my go to.
    Puppet the Peanut - Templar Tank/Healer
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso will become a mediocre game spoon-fed by bethesda with sub par devs that create a textbook MMO [with an extra side of bugs and examples of incompetency], yet is kept alive solely through cash grabs, and bethesda's will to have an mmo on the market with the TES theme

oh wait...

it will die once the cash grabs don't work anymore & bethesda decides it's not worth the money just to have the TES theme mmo on the market
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.....
    It will transcend to a higher state of being and then humanity will worship it as the New God and when ESO got bored of us it will eliminate the Humanity and will pass on to a new world to create life until it gets bored again and so the infinite cycle shall begin
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are few things Online gaming have taught me over the years, and how to maximize the satisfaction one gets out of it.

1.) Developers are human beings doing the best that they can. Each is passionate about what they do - despite the abuse they get from people without an inkling of the complexity of their work.

1.) It’s about attitude. Simple - treat people the way you would like to be treated. Be it the team that brings us endless hours of entertainment, or in-game when you playing with your friends.

3.) It’s a choice. If the game does not pan out to a person's expectations there's not much to debate about. It only takes one click to uninstall all that angst.

Why the soapbox drama, every time a player feels like the game was not build to their personal expectation.

Edited by drkfrontiers on February 25, 2018 6:31PM
    "One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are few things Online gaming have taught me over the years and how to maximize the satisfaction one gets out of it.

1.) Developers are human beings doing the best that they can. Each is passionate about what they do - despite the abuse they get from people without an inkling of the complexity of their work.

1.) Its about attitude. Really simple - treat people the way you would like to be treated. Be it the team that brings us endless hours of entertainment, or in-game when you playing with your friends.

3.) Its a choice. If the game does not pan out to a persons expectations there really not much to debate about. Just uninstall. Why the soapbox drama every time a player feels like the game was not build to their personal expectation.

^^^^ That deserves (and got) an awesome.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1.) Its about attitude. Really simple - treat people the way you would like to be treated. Be it the team that brings us endless hours of entertainment, or in-game when you playing with your friends.

I'll do you one better. Treat people the way they would like to be treated.
  • Lunaugh
    Lunaugh
    ✭✭✭
    There are few things Online gaming have taught me over the years, and how to maximize the satisfaction one gets out of it.

3.) Its a choice. If the game does not pan out to a person's expectations there's really not much to debate about. It only takes one click to uninstall all that angst.

Why the soapbox drama, every time a player feels like the game was not build to their personal expectation.

I appreciate your inputand I find wisdom in your words, though I am confused about your soap-box comment.
    I’m not sure each reply reflects ‘dissatisfaction with personal expectations’.
    This thread is not a quest to extend an agenda or to judge the game. It is probe to see what the forum community feels about the future of the game. A successful one I might add.
    dataOutput ={ }
    >>> if skill then do
    >>>end
    end
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will continue until something better comes along to woo its player base away. What makes ESO unique is it's action combat and deep quest system. Most new games coming out today are quick-to-market sandbox games with no content, like BDO and AoC. BDO has nice combat at least, but no PvE content. AoC has neither, and it's the "next big" MMO... They're also usually coming from indie devs who have no resources to sustain these games long term (which is why they make them sandbox games).

Yeah, ESO is safe for a while. Although I'm intrigued by the MMOs being published by Amazon and the PUBG guys, even though we know nothing about them.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 27, 2018 4:42AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lunaugh wrote: »

3.) Its a choice. If the game does not pan out to a person's expectations there's really not much to debate about. It only takes one click to uninstall all that angst.

I appreciate your inputand I find wisdom in your words, though I am confused about your soap-box comment.
    This thread is not a quest to extend an agenda or to judge the game. It is probe to see what the forum community feels about the future of the game. A successful one I might add.

There's no soapbox drama. People complain about the thread or create drama themselves when they have nothing else to say or when they wished they didn't open the thread, which is odd because no one forced them to open the thread in the first place. Your thread is perfectly valid.
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the fate of ESO is inextricably linked to the fate of the MMORPG industry. Not just tomorrow, but over the next, say, ten or fifteen years.

Remember, the gaming industry - and MMORPGs themselves - have undergone several revolutions in just the past two decades. Both who plays and how they play has changed dramatically vs. the mid- or late 1990s - which, of course, feeds into what they play.

My personal belief is that MMORPGs in general - in fact, all first-person or third-person open-world RPGs (whether single-player or MMO) - will experience another revolution over the course of the next, I don't know, half-decade or so (or perhaps a full decade), and specifically that of virtual reality. Which, to be fair, is something that technologically goes way back (remember EVE trying to market those silly glasses?), however now you have a) mass-market systems start to come into being; and b) major studios adapting their franchises to these systems (e.g. Fallout 4 VR).

I think it is still pretty early in the process, not the least because you have to hook up something like seven or eight different components and bend over backwards (almost literally) during calibration to set up your VR space. But looking forward? If VR develops into something both "easy" and "fun" to use, and I think it will because the market opportunity is there, first-person (or -ish) RPGs are a natural fit for the technology. [So much so that MMO "action RPGs" - another term is isometric view RPGs - like Diablo and its many clones might face something of an existential crisis. Why use a mouse or a controller when you can be in the game?]

In turn, at that point every open world franchise, single or multi player, will likely get a metaphorical rocket strapped to its back, at least for a while. Especially ones with big established player bases and an extant technological base (to wit, Fallout 4 VR is the perfect segue into Fallout 5 VR down the road).

----

TLDR. The "future of ESO" over the next couple of years is probably something like more of the same with occasional innovations around the edges - but the future of MMORPGs over the longer time horizon as the VR revolution happens............well, that is going to be fun to watch, I think. And I think ESO - or, rather, its VR successor - is going to benefit tremendously at least in the initial years.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jarryzzt wrote: »
    I think the fate of ESO is inextricably linked to the fate of the MMORPG industry. Not just tomorrow, but over the next, say, ten or fifteen years.

Remember, the gaming industry - and MMORPGs themselves - have undergone several revolutions in just the past two decades. Both who plays and how they play has changed dramatically vs. the mid- or late 1990s - which, of course, feeds into what they play.

My personal belief is that MMORPGs in general - in fact, all first-person or third-person open-world RPGs (whether single-player or MMO) - will experience another revolution over the course of the next, I don't know, half-decade or so (or perhaps a full decade), and specifically that of virtual reality. Which, to be fair, is something that technologically goes way back (remember EVE trying to market those silly glasses?), however now you have a) mass-market systems start to come into being; and b) major studios adapting their franchises to these systems (e.g. Fallout 4 VR).

I think it is still pretty early in the process, not the least because you have to hook up something like seven or eight different components and bend over backwards (almost literally) during calibration to set up your VR space. But looking forward? If VR develops into something both "easy" and "fun" to use, and I think it will because the market opportunity is there, first-person (or -ish) RPGs are a natural fit for the technology. [So much so that MMO "action RPGs" - another term is isometric view RPGs - like Diablo and its many clones might face something of an existential crisis. Why use a mouse or a controller when you can be in the game?]

In turn, at that point every open world franchise, single or multi player, will likely get a metaphorical rocket strapped to its back, at least for a while. Especially ones with big established player bases and an extant technological base (to wit, Fallout 4 VR is the perfect segue into Fallout 5 VR down the road).

----

TLDR. The "future of ESO" over the next couple of years is probably something like more of the same with occasional innovations around the edges - but the future of MMORPGs over the longer time horizon as the VR revolution happens............well, that is going to be fun to watch, I think. And I think ESO - or, rather, its VR successor - is going to benefit tremendously at least in the initial years.
    :|
    Whilst I tend to agree, I surely hope they have alternative "views" to VR because I find it rather difficult to function when I'm blowing chunks. :|

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL at the poll. I have a feeling OP is just going for a laugh.
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for sounding somewhat “Thalmorish” there.

I think that ESO has a great future ahead of it. I've played many games in my 46 years, and just today I was thinking how diverse the features of ESO are, together with imagination it has been able to craft. The attention to detail is truly out of this world.

I do believe, as with any game of this size, there is always technical issues which I'm sure I do not need to make mention of.

I have hope that the game does evolve, and more importantly that the performance of the existing game takes priority over everything else.

I'm not a PvPer, hell I barely call myself a PvEer! I’ve not ventured into dungeons much because I suck some. I'm just that happy guy hopping his pony around Vulkhel Guard on my way to my next grand adventure.

For me the evolution of ESO has to start with PvP. More zones like IC, improved performance and rewards for players there, and diverse experiences by adding some juicy PvE opportunities to lure the community to wet their feet.

Edited by drkfrontiers on February 25, 2018 6:53PM
    "One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it will be the same future as any other product. if it continues to make money it will continue. if it makes sufficient money to cover the costs there will be further development. it ain't rocket science.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like they probably will make another one down the line using the knowledge of this time. Launch was a mess, but its much better now.

I suspect that all the systems, transmutation, thieving, fashion scrolls etc will be in a base b2p pack, with quests like TG and DB having some mention in base game. Then they would gain money from extras such as dungeons, chapters, cosmetics etc.

I just hope they never pay wall a class or race again. Imagine joining only to find out you have to pay more straight away to actually play your way. However depending how spellcrafting goes classes may just be a starting point. The launch got a dislike for day 1 pay walling such a large part, so I doubt they will do that.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.....
    I dunno about everyone else, but my ESO gameplay is going to come to a screeching halt once the new single player Elder Scrolls VI comes out.

After that, I'll see how much I care to come back to ESO.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.....
    See DAoC
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will be the same future as any other product. if it continues to make money it will continue. if it makes sufficient money to cover the costs there will be further development. it ain't rocket science.

Shh, don't stop the dreamers from thinking that it's run on good will and happy thoughts! How dare you!
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shh, don't stop the dreamers from thinking that it's run on good will and happy thoughts! How dare you!

downton-abbey-lady-violet-gif-season-2-episode-8.gif

:smiley:
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.....
    Eso will be doing well, because they have good content creatores and will keep adding revelant things to the game for many years to come.

However, ESO is also a refugee for many Elder Scrolls players, who may leave even if only temporarily, once a new single player Elder Scrolls comes.
    Eso players are loyal players (not when you make them your boyfriend though. Blinders and liars) and even if displeased, it's not possible to escape Eso's grip for good and they always come back sooner or later. ESO is unique and unlike any other MMO and maybe once they make up their mind and stop being so hesitant and disoriented with the combat system, Zenimax can keep this game very relevant.
    Edited by Dracane on February 25, 2018 7:31PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys played during the beta, this wouldn't even be question.

The game is so different today, and for the better. No doubt in my mind that it will continue to change.
    PC-NA Goat
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL at the poll. I have a feeling OP is just going for a laugh.
    I love ESO, and I’d love to see it evolve with the gaming industry.
    Though this is the fate I wish for it, past experiences and other MMORPG titles lead me to believe the more likely fate is continued content without graphic/model overhauls or new-tech integration.
    I feel that the most likely scenario is that ESO continues to exist for those who have committed too much to start again anew, or who would rather not move to a new and unfamiliar playscape; to continue financing a new MMORPG for the Elder Scrolls which fully integrates with future tech (VR anyone?)

On another thought path, Elder scrolls may take a new path with Bethesda, moving from MMO to VR, Lan connections and private servers. I am certain that even without the Elder Scrolls, Zenimax would produce a new MMORPG with future tech. I look forward to the replies herein.

I am certain I do not need to point out that the most successful MMORPG to date which is also most successful in current times has not really updated their game graphics and such. It still has very cartoonish graphics and can likely be played on most of our PCs with the GPU disabled. It would likely be a horrid decision to "evolve" the game to utilize new technology as they would lose a significant number of subscribers that play on potatoes.

It seems a huge assumption on how fast VR is accepted (needs to be completely widespread) and the reason players stay with MMORPGs or leave. I do not think ESO has anything to worry about today.
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.....
    ESO will continue as is. Decent population base, added content through DLC, usual class changes and probably about every 2 years what they call an "expansion" and potential new class
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure ESO is the only MMORPG the Elder Scrolls franchise will ever have.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will continue to follow the WoW way of marketing, constant new unecessary pve content aimed at casuals and more crown store junk at crazy high prices
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it will continue to follow the WoW way of marketing, constant new unecessary pve content aimed at casuals and more crown store junk at crazy high prices

They know where the money is, as does Blizzard. Personally, I don't think that any content is "unnecessary" if people partake of it.

Casuals pay just as those who are more...intent.