The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Fun Fact: Elf Bane Buffs Zaan Proc

• Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    Minalan wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    @Waffennacht @Sixty5 the thing is, broken OP things don’t get tuned down until everyone abuses them. I’d rather zaan get tuned properly in the next chapter release than the end of 2018...(decrease the damage buff on a per second scale while increasing the length of the proc to retain similar DPS but lower initial burst)

Having played with and against the set, honestly the only change I'd say that is needed is dropping the range from 10m to 8m

As far as the initial burst goes, even if you eat 3 ticks, you are only taking about the same damage as a Skoria proc.

The only classes that don't have an innate way to deal with a Zaan proc are Warden and DK, and in both cases they have strong enough defensive tools to shrug it off anyway.

3 ticks is 2 seconds. That means you need to instantly react and counter it, effectively with a single GCD. That’s too punishing relative to every other set in the game. The next tick does an untenable amount of damage for most builds.

The zaan damage may be manageable in a vacuum but when you can use it to create concurrent damage with your burst it’s obviously a lot

A full channel of Zaan will hit for 16k on a player with 20k spell res, which a lot, I agree. But, if you get out before the last tick, that drops to 12k, and if you break it before the 5th tick, it only hits for 8k.

3 and a half seconds is more than enough to pop a vigor, dodge roll and then whatever else you need to do to get out of there, and then you have 15 seconds where the other person has lost a big chunk of damage.

You drop the tether range 2m and that whole setup becomes even easier to execute.

My personal experience using Zaan is that in most cases when I get the proc off, I'm killing the guy anyway, and Zaan is just adding overkill.
    It isn't like Selenes, where I see a proc and can immediately use it to create a window of burst.

And while you can run setups that are built around Zaan and locking down people. Remember that if you run that sort of thing, you are building completely around a single target proc with an 18 second cooldown, so you are hardly going to be dropping people like flies.

The biggest Zaan proc I've seen in my death recap was 10k. And that was the first time I fought it. Since then, it really hasn't been an issue to play against.

Lotus fan. Zaan procs. Zaan tick.
    Incap, you’re down. Zaan tick
    You get up. Zaan tick
    Zaan tick. Lotus fan if you move, otherwise just execute, you’re probably almost dead right?
    Repeat Lotus fan. Hey, five ticks, are you dead yet?

Remove these horrible proc sets already.

Stampede for a snare
    Dizzying Swing hits, target is stunned
    Heavy attack into Dawnbreaker as they get up
    Reverse slice for the kill

I've eaten both combos, and been killed by both. If you are eating a full combo from someone, including an ult, it is going to hurt, and chances are it will kill you.

What is it exactly that makes the first that much worse than the second?

First off, stampede just got nerfed, it won’t be contributing much damage to your combo.

Second off, I will usually see you coming. Block. Dodge roll. There are counters. It’s my fault if I don’t. The NB opens from stealth and kills you before you can stand up or react. That’s because of the proc set, and 2-3 button pushes. There’s a big difference.

ZOS apparently didn’t learn from the last time they created instant proc sets, so they did it again. The sign of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, then expecting different results.
    Options
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Waffennacht @Sixty5 the thing is, broken OP things don’t get tuned down until everyone abuses them. I’d rather zaan get tuned properly in the next chapter release than the end of 2018...(decrease the damage buff on a per second scale while increasing the length of the proc to retain similar DPS but lower initial burst)

Having played with and against the set, honestly the only change I'd say that is needed is dropping the range from 10m to 8m

As far as the initial burst goes, even if you eat 3 ticks, you are only taking about the same damage as a Skoria proc.

The only classes that don't have an innate way to deal with a Zaan proc are Warden and DK, and in both cases they have strong enough defensive tools to shrug it off anyway.

3 ticks is 2 seconds. That means you need to instantly react and counter it, effectively with a single GCD. That’s too punishing relative to every other set in the game. The next tick does an untenable amount of damage for most builds.

The zaan damage may be manageable in a vacuum but when you can use it to create concurrent damage with your burst it’s obviously a lot

A full channel of Zaan will hit for 16k on a player with 20k spell res, which a lot, I agree. But, if you get out before the last tick, that drops to 12k, and if you break it before the 5th tick, it only hits for 8k.

3 and a half seconds is more than enough to pop a vigor, dodge roll and then whatever else you need to do to get out of there, and then you have 15 seconds where the other person has lost a big chunk of damage.

You drop the tether range 2m and that whole setup becomes even easier to execute.

My personal experience using Zaan is that in most cases when I get the proc off, I'm killing the guy anyway, and Zaan is just adding overkill.
    It isn't like Selenes, where I see a proc and can immediately use it to create a window of burst.

And while you can run setups that are built around Zaan and locking down people. Remember that if you run that sort of thing, you are building completely around a single target proc with an 18 second cooldown, so you are hardly going to be dropping people like flies.

The biggest Zaan proc I've seen in my death recap was 10k. And that was the first time I fought it. Since then, it really hasn't been an issue to play against.

You get up. Zaan tick
    Zaan tick. Lotus fan if you move, otherwise just execute, you’re probably almost dead right?

Stampede for a snare
    Dizzying Swing hits, target is stunned
    Heavy attack into Dawnbreaker as they get up
    Reverse slice for the kill

I've eaten both combos, and been killed by both. If you are eating a full combo from someone, including an ult, it is going to hurt, and chances are it will kill you.

What is it exactly that makes the first that much worse than the second?

First off, stampede just got nerfed, it won’t be contributing much damage to your combo.

Second off, I will usually see you coming. Block. Dodge roll. There are counters. It’s my fault if I don’t. The NB opens from stealth and kills you before you can stand up or react. That’s because of the proc set, and 2-3 button pushes. There’s a big difference.

ZOS apparently didn’t learn from the last time they created instant proc sets, so they did it again. The sign of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, then expecting different results.

Fine then,

Ambush > Fear > Incap > Surprise attack > Killers Blade

You are just as dead, and no Zaan required, because that is what a Nightblade does.

If damage based proc sets aren't allowed to kill you then what is? Can I use Clever Alchemist timed with a bust combo to take you down, or is that too cheesy as well? What about running Hundings and Spriggans? If I one combo you using those sets, is it still OP?

Zaan won't net you very many kills on its own, unless you build around it. And if you do build around it, then the only way you are going to kill anyone is with Zaan.

That is why I don't really have too many issues with the set. It isn't like Viper + Tremorscale, where you had over 10k of unavoidable burst damage available on a 4 second cooldown for just pressing one button.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
    Options
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You get up. Zaan tick

Lotus fan. Block. ??? Profit. Yeah, they may fear you, but then that is a dent in their gank plan. And pretty big assumption that Zaan procs instantly.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
    Options
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »

You get up. Zaan tick

Lotus fan. Block. ??? Profit. Yeah, they may fear you, but then that is a dent in their gank plan. And pretty big assumption that Zaan procs instantly.

You don't need to gank with Zaan, once it procs on you, you know that you'll die against an equally skilled player.

You know something is overtuned when it's better to use your CC for it than for your ult. Also good luck trying to block lotus fan+incap from an decent player and not khajiit sniper #639

The set is ridiculous it's worse than skoria, while skoria is already overperfoming.

This set needs drastical NERFS and I hope it dies just to *** off everyone who used it
    Options
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing I'm khajiit sniper #638...
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
    Options
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol i can't believe people are still arguing in favor of proc sets literally taking an entire hp bar off with zero effort from the player using the set

wtf is going on
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
    Options
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That takes 8 seconds so it's not exactly burst.

I'm more surprised as i didn't think sets could proc/boost each other like that. Otherwise you'd probably see a ton of things, like imperium/trinimac combo etc
    Options
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Chris wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

We'd like to confirm that the Elf's Bane & Zaan combination is working as designed when it comes to the extra ticks, it's not a bug.

It's possible that it could be reviewed further down the line depending on player feedback, but as it stands at present, this is intentional.

We hope this helps!

How much player feedback you need guys to finally buff mDK in PvE?
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel
    Options
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Chris wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

We'd like to confirm that the Elf's Bane & Zaan combination is working as designed when it comes to the extra ticks, it's not a bug.

It's possible that it could be reviewed further down the line depending on player feedback, but as it stands at present, this is intentional.

We hope this helps!

I suspect that "intended" in this case means that someone at ZOS just asked someone else about it and they said "ummm....sure, I guess". Seems odds that this was planned out when Grothdarr still doesn't get the Elf Bane effect.
    Options
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don’t know what they have in mind when they design these sets. If you’re up against a good player utilizing Zaan that has built around it there is no where you will go, and you’ll certainly eat the full duration on top of the other incoming damage.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    Options
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    I honestly don’t know what they have in mind when they design these sets. If you’re up against a good player utilizing Zaan that has built around it there is no where you will go, and you’ll certainly eat the full duration on top of the other incoming damage.

Ofc you will go back to an endless loading screen :trollface:
    Options
  • maryriv
    maryriv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    I just tried making a mDK build around this, Zaan did an incredible 4k DPS with elf bane. However, the 3 health enchants on the elf bane jewelry lowered the rest of my skills enough that I could only get about 33k DPS out of it. I did feel very survivable with over 20k health unbuffed. It could be a fun dungeon build, but definitely not the most powerful. Could be interesting in PVP if you can get anyone to stand in your beam for 7s.

Yeah, I had a discussion about it with some mates, and the end conclusion is that it isn't that viable for PVE stuff. Straight magicka food is a fantastic idea to get around the healthy rings issue, but then you are either stuck with running a 4 piece set.

You could always go dual wield Mag DK, which is something I like the sound of, but I'm not sure what set you'd really want to go with.

But I'd say the bigger application is on a PVP build, where you can go full tank, and just abuse Zaan's massive damage when paired with Elf Bane.
    Currently I am leaning towards running it on a Magblade, given that they can permanently stick to a target with Lotus Fan, and have access to strong crowd control options in Fear and Cripple.

For the DW mag DK I plan to test 5xBSW, 5xAcuity(front-bar), 2xZaan and 1xMaelstrom firestaff. That’s probably the best setup you can put together.

Problem with mag DK is you’re competing for a melee spot with stamblades and stamdks all of whom do better deeps. And any type of Mageblade will our dps you completely.

War Machine and Master Architect are beyond silly on Nightblade with a 70 ult souil harvest / Incap. They have been blowing everyone out the water since Morrowind.

^ This. People act as if this is somehow an amazing combo but it's just average when you consider all the hoops you have to jump through.
    Options
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaans pretty much stinks for most things aside from people who dont realize they dont have to just stand there and get wrecked. Open world skoria wins every time in my opinion. Everyone is so turned into how to counter it right now since it's new. Try fighting a noob blade or sorc with it, they turn your Zaan into a wasted slot where you should have put skoria, and everyone is running blades or sorcs in pvp
    Options