The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fun Fact: Elf Bane Buffs Zaan Proc

Sixty5
Sixty5
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Had this brought up by a friend who is a strong advocate for the Elf Bane set, so I deceided to test it and, and behold, it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNI6jLv44g

In the second test, with Elf Bane equipped, I got two additional ticks of damage, both of which had the bonus damage stacking applied to them.

Now what does this mean?
Firstly, you get less down time on the sets proc, as well as pretty much doubling the damage. With full buffs up, you could probably expect that last tick to be hitting for closer to 15-20k damage.

PVP wise, I don't think this is a massive deal, given the counterplay, and in terms of PVE, only Mag DK can really make use of the set, and given that they are struggling a bit right now as a melee Magicka DPS, I feel this isn't too overpowered.

Still, let me know what you think.
Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is my plan once the patch hits Xbox. I am going to make a AOE MagDK monster for PVP using Elfs Bane and Zaan. Maybe add Silks of the Sun in as well.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tried making a mDK build around this, Zaan did an incredible 4k DPS with elf bane. However, the 3 health enchants on the elf bane jewelry lowered the rest of my skills enough that I could only get about 33k DPS out of it. I did feel very survivable with over 20k health unbuffed. It could be a fun dungeon build, but definitely not the most powerful. Could be interesting in PVP if you can get anyone to stand in your beam for 7s.

Edit: Improving slightly, got Zaan up to 4.4k by using lightning heavy attacks to proc it, and 4 piece IA to give the Zaan proc minor slayer. Dummy parse with this tanky Zaan build is approaching 35k.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 21, 2018 5:32AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried making a mDK build around this, Zaan did an incredible 4k DPS with elf bane. However, the 3 health enchants on the elf bane jewelry lowered the rest of my skills enough that I could only get about 33k DPS out of it. I did feel very survivable with over 20k health unbuffed. It could be a fun dungeon build, but definitely not the most powerful. Could be interesting in PVP if you can get anyone to stand in your beam for 7s.

Switch your food from Witchmothers, to ghastly eye bowl, more magic and regen since you get so much health from the jewelry.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, I had a discussion about it with some mates, and the end conclusion is that it isn't that viable for PVE stuff. Straight magicka food is a fantastic idea to get around the healthy rings issue, but then you are either stuck with running a 4 piece set.

You could always go dual wield Mag DK, which is something I like the sound of, but I'm not sure what set you'd really want to go with.

But I'd say the bigger application is on a PVP build, where you can go full tank, and just abuse Zaan's massive damage when paired with Elf Bane.
    Currently I am leaning towards running it on a Magblade, given that they can permanently stick to a target with Lotus Fan, and have access to strong crowd control options in Fear and Cripple.
    Edited by Sixty5 on February 21, 2018 5:27AM

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does elf bane also increase the duration of the grothdar proc?
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good. Now I can counter 2 item sets with 1 dodge or streak.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »

Yeah, I had a discussion about it with some mates, and the end conclusion is that it isn't that viable for PVE stuff. Straight magicka food is a fantastic idea to get around the healthy rings issue, but then you are either stuck with running a 4 piece set.

You could always go dual wield Mag DK, which is something I like the sound of, but I'm not sure what set you'd really want to go with.

But I'd say the bigger application is on a PVP build, where you can go full tank, and just abuse Zaan's massive damage when paired with Elf Bane.
    Currently I am leaning towards running it on a Magblade, given that they can permanently stick to a target with Lotus Fan, and have access to strong crowd control options in Fear and Cripple.

For the DW mag DK I plan to test 5xBSW, 5xAcuity(front-bar), 2xZaan and 1xMaelstrom firestaff. That’s probably the best setup you can put together.

Problem with mag DK is you’re competing for a melee spot with stamblades and stamdks all of whom do better deeps. And any type of Mageblade will our dps you completely.

War Machine and Master Architect are beyond silly on Nightblade with a 70 ult souil harvest / Incap. They have been blowing everyone out the water since Morrowind.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

For the DW mag DK I plan to test 5xBSW, 5xAcuity(front-bar), 2xZaan and 1xMaelstrom firestaff. That’s probably the best setup you can put together.

Problem with mag DK is you’re competing for a melee spot with stamblades and stamdks all of whom do better deeps. And any type of Mageblade will our dps you completely.

War Machine and Master Architect are beyond silly on Nightblade with a 70 ult souil harvest / Incap. They have been blowing everyone out the water since Morrowind.

I played around with a build editior seeing what Julianos/Zaan/Elf Bane would look like

unknown.png

Honestly taking Zaan + Elf Bane looks like a pretty big hit to your base stats, so I don't think the gain is going to be worth the cost.

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I played around with a build editior seeing what Julianos/Zaan/Elf Bane would look like

unknown.png

Honestly taking Zaan + Elf Bane looks like a pretty big hit to your base stats, so I don't think the gain is going to be worth the cost.

Elf Bane is completely trash for PvE. It can not compare with Sun, BSW, Julianos or even penetration sets like Spinners. Zaan can stand on its own as the best magicka melee monster set, it doesn’t need Elf Bane.

For PvP, you might catch a few people out with the last two ticks of Zaan but you rely on a proc every 18" and one that 3/5 classes will break instantly with Cloak/Purify/Streak.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

unknown.png

Maybe might be good in NO CP? Where procsets already overperform?
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »

unknown.png

That setup is including the stats from CP.
    I'm considering running Zaan + Elf Bane on a Magblade for Battlegrounds, given that I'll be able to just get it to proc and then spam Lotus Fan to ensure the person can't escape, so you can pretty much ensure all 8 ticks hit.

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »

unknown.png

I just don't think procs of that set are frequent enough for a DK unless you're playing a weird melee build that does not have S&B. You'll need 2H most likely and Flames of Oblivion on the front bar for that Major Savagery that could help your light attacks to proc it. S&B and block-casting is not gonna proc often enough. And that 2H build got a massive nerf this patch with the change on immov pots. Destro/Resto DK builds are sitting ducks in no-cp BGs.

I feel that NB is the class that can better benefit from Zaan in PvP, not DK. Can proc reliably through cloak and Incap/Harvest buffs its damage. Also plenty of Snares, Roots and CCs with Fear, Cripple, Merciless and Incap to keep targets within range.

Edited by Maulkin on February 21, 2018 10:46AM
    EU | PC | AD
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a bug. Elf Bane should not be buffing procs as procs are not abilities. This may get fixed in future updates.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    Its a bug. Elf Bane should not be buffing procs as procs are not abilities. This may get fixed in future updates.

I'm pretty sure Grothdarr is the same, though I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test that out.

And we shall see if ZOS actually do do anything about it now that I've put it out there.

• clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong. Light fire staff attacks count as fire abilities for example. It seems that everything is an "ability", not just active skills on your bars.
  • Jayelf
    Jayelf
    ✭✭
    skoria too then i guess
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayelf wrote: »
    skoria too then i guess

Skoria doesn't have a duration, so Elf bane can't really buff it.

• Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

Edit: Improving slightly, got Zaan up to 4.4k by using lightning heavy attacks to proc it, and 4 piece IA to give the Zaan proc minor slayer. Dummy parse with this tanky Zaan build is approaching 35k.

I've been experimenting with it as well, but the magicka level is quite bad sadly, I can hardly top 36k with blue food... I mean the build is quite strong and easy to play, and the 20k health is pretty nice for trials as well. Also having your fire blockade last ten seconds gives you a lot of time for your front bar, and it pairs well with the rest of the dots... But considering that a stam DK just does 36-37k without fracture there is not really a point to use mag DK...

PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

I've been experimenting with it as well, but the magicka level is quite bad sadly, I can hardly top 36k with blue food... I mean the build is quite strong and easy to play, and the 20k health is pretty nice for trials as well. Also having your fire blockade last ten seconds gives you a lot of time for your front bar, and it pairs well with the rest of the dots... But considering that a stam DK just does 36-37k without fracture there is not really a point to use mag DK...

How do you do a Stam DK parse without Fracture? Do you just omit Noxious Breath?

I feel like Zaan/Elf Bane has its place as a beginner setup for DPS, given how much free damage it gives, making it easier to pull 20k+ for newer players.
    Only issue is getting the helmet in the first place, given how much of a pain Scalecaller is.

• Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Masel92 wrote: »

How do you do a Stam DK parse without Fracture? Do you just omit Noxious Breath?

I feel like Zaan/Elf Bane has its place as a beginner setup for DPS, given how much free damage it gives, making it easier to pull 20k+ for newer players.
    Only issue is getting the helmet in the first place, given how much of a pain Scalecaller is.

The rotation I used that got me to 34k dps included three lightning heavy attacks on the front bar, ridiculously easy build :smiley:

I use FoO instead, noxious Is a weaker dot than FoO.

In Halls of Fabrication and Asylum Hard Mode I usually run vigor and hardened armor anyways..
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If jewelry crafting will allow us to transmute dropped jewelry, this should do well.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If nothing else this could be interesting for soloing or doing world bosses on a tank dk, add some extra damage that you'd have a hard time getting otherwise. I run grothdar on my dk for that currently but zaan would be better for single target fights.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s really cool :o hopefully it doesn’t get changed. Also I can’t wait until jewelcrafting releases so we can trait change Elfbane jewelry from Healthy to Arcane!
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had this brought up by a friend who is a strong advocate for the Elf Bane set, so I deceided to test it and, and behold, it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNI6jLv44g

In the second test, with Elf Bane equipped, I got two additional ticks of damage, both of which had the bonus damage stacking applied to them.

Now what does this mean?
    Firstly, you get less down time on the sets proc, as well as pretty much doubling the damage. With full buffs up, you could probably expect that last tick to be hitting for closer to 15-20k damage.

PVP wise, I don't think this is a massive deal, given the counterplay, and in terms of PVE, only Mag DK can really make use of the set, and given that they are struggling a bit right now as a melee Magicka DPS, I feel this isn't too overpowered.

Still, let me know what you think.

I always love to see people talk about PvP counterplay. It's absolutely true in 1v1 or very small scale, although very annoying. In larger battles, you might not even know you are my target. Luckily there is no lag in Cyrodiil either so that my target doesn't die before they realize they are being hit!
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone talks about dodging out but forget MagDKs have an Undodgeable gapcloser that empowers?

Proc Zaan and then just spam Empowering Chains for a few secs while people run around like their hair is on fire. GGWP.
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Sixty5
      Sixty5
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Dyride wrote: »
      Everyone talks about dodging out but forget MagDKs have an Undodgeable gapcloser that empowers?

Proc Zaan and then just spam Empowering Chains for a few secs while people run around like their hair is on fire. GGWP.

Yes, but then you are stuck using a garbage skill, plus if someone just streaks or dodge/cloaks the tether is broken and the proc is gone.

2. Savos_Saren
      Savos_Saren
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      As it was said before:

This is probably a bug. Elf Bane should only work on abilities: Class/Weapon Skills.

Elf Bane didn't used to work on sets like Grothgarr, Domihaus, Illambris, or Infernal Guardian (all fire sets with timers). These sets are procs- not abilities.
      Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
      Savos Saren
    3. WrathOfInnos
      WrathOfInnos
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dyride wrote: »

Which gap closer fails if an opponent dodges?

4. techprince
      techprince
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong. Light fire staff attacks count as fire abilities for example. It seems that everything is an "ability", not just active skills on your bars.

You are wrong, set doesnt buff every fire based proc set having duration either.
      Edited by techprince on February 22, 2018 9:45AM
    5. ZOS_Chris
      ZOS_Chris
      Community Rep
      Hey everyone!

We'd like to confirm that the Elf's Bane & Zaan combination is working as designed when it comes to the extra ticks, it's not a bug.

It's possible that it could be reviewed further down the line depending on player feedback, but as it stands at present, this is intentional.

We hope this helps!
      Staff Post