The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

AoE Cap Removal Post Mortem

Agrippa_Invisus
Agrippa_Invisus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So, AOE caps are gone.

Thoughts?

Haven't gotten to run in a raid yet myself, but it was hilarious watching a dozen players melt on when a door repair crew got bomb bladed. That, at least, felt way nastier than it used to be.

As an aside: TBH, the best part of this patch is the 'no more monster shoulder graphics' thing. God, I hated that dumb one shoulder thing. Felt like it was trying to be fake edgelord. Gimme my proper Imperial shoulders, kthxbye.
Edited by Agrippa_Invisus on February 13, 2018 4:15PM
Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
Once a General, now a Citizen
Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vicious Death is vicious once again . Nice to see more people spreading out . Siege on a breach is more powerful then last patch . Rapids are more important now . Liking these changes so far .
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the 4vX spank videos to come out soon. I need some entertainment during my lunch break!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vicious Death is vicious once again . Nice to see more people spreading out . Siege on a breach is more powerful then last patch . Rapids are more important now . Liking these changes so far .

Indeed. We had a big defense at ash last night, and it felt like the removal of aoe caps actually allowed us to defend it. Previously, blues would have likely survived thanks to getting carried by the game’s mitigation, but they got repelled at the breach instead.

rip decibel
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »

Indeed. We had a big defense at ash last night, and it felt like the removal of aoe caps actually allowed us to defend it. Previously, blues would have likely survived thanks to getting carried by the game’s mitigation, but they got repelled at the breach instead.

Can't just blob through a breach like they used to?

Many failed keep defenses I've been in usually involve some large bumrush of folks that AOE caps struggled to deal with at several key stages (outer wall, inner breach, back flag, etc).

It'll be nice to see the lemming tactics actively punished. Attackers should be encouraged to open multiple breaches, siege down the inner, and not just shovel bodies onto flags.
    Edited by Agrippa_Invisus on February 13, 2018 4:40PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad ZoS finally got rid of them compeltely
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im running an AOE stam sorc to get the most out of this change, and from what I can tell initially it feels great. Just sit back and throw down caltrops on a faction stack, acuity procs, and theres just a flood of damage. Then streak in with a hurricane empowered Dawnbreaker when the time is right. Very excited to see whats in store. This is gonna be a fantastic patch for small scale/small group PvP. Obviously destro ulti ball zergs will benefit more. But there are now options available for small groups like never before, which means the fireworks will be real.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Jadokis
    Jadokis
    ✭✭✭

Many failed keep defenses I've been in usually involve some large bumrush of folks that AOE caps struggled to deal with at several key stages (outer wall, inner breach, back flag, etc).

It'll be nice to see the lemming tactics actively punished. Attackers should be encouraged to open multiple breaches, siege down the inner, and not just shovel bodies onto flags.

Yeah, it felt great. DC took down all 3 walls on the farm side and eventually got through. We were able to just use the back corner going to mine side as a choke and my small group with 2 bomb blades just held that spot once and made a couple pushes where DC was stacked. Definitely felt like they couldn't just rush in all at once like they used to do. Happened again later at Roe where DC took down front door and the wall next to it.

I'd say give it a few days for groups to return to cyro though. I saw some usual suspects last night but group sizes were small.

Also don't underrate synergies. Being able to purify and use shards easily makes pvping much more enjoyable.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »
    Im running an AOE stam sorc to get the most out of this change, and from what I can tell initially it feels great. Just sit back and throw down caltrops on a faction stack, acuity procs, and theres just a flood of damage. Then streak in with a hurricane empowered Dawnbreaker when the time is right. Very excited to see whats in store. This is gonna be a fantastic patch for small scale/small group PvP. Obviously destro ulti ball zergs will benefit more. But there are now options available for small groups like never before, which means the fireworks will be real.

The destro ulti ball zergs will benefit when fighting larger numbers, just like your little elite dawny musketeer crew will benefit fighting larger numbers. It's all relative to the amount of players u're fighting.
    Edited by frozywozy on February 13, 2018 6:54PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While it is a good change, the only real impact it will have is some sort of placebo effect.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • Jadokis
    Jadokis
    ✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    While it is a good change, the only real impact it will have is some sort of placebo effect.

Already false for people playing yesterday at least on NA. Just the two keep defenses, and overall in cyro. Bomb blades were a lot more effective on all sides hitting large stacks. It was pretty fun.
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, AOE caps are gone.

Thoughts?

Haven't gotten to run in a raid yet myself, but it was hilarious watching a dozen players melt on when a door repair crew got bomb bladed. That, at least, felt way nastier than it used to be.

As an aside: TBH, the best part of this patch is the 'no more monster shoulder graphics' thing. God, I hated that dumb one shoulder thing. Felt like it was trying to be fake edgelord. Gimme my proper Imperial shoulders, kthxbye.

First raid will be tonight, but small manning last night, my bombs definitely felt stronger. Can’t wakt to put them to the test.
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jadokis wrote: »

Also don't underrate synergies. Being able to purify and use shards easily makes pvping much more enjoyable.

I noticed the same thing about synergies last night. They were up constantly and I have a quick button for hitting them already (been like that since back in my Tsym days when Impale damage from Talons was a major part of group damage).

No more dancing trying to get that synergy notice to pop up.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think bombing is stronger than it's ever been, even destro feels like it got a buff rather than a nerf, even with bugged hemorrhage. Reminds me a bit of bombing in TG.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on February 14, 2018 6:11AM
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've watched several destro ball groups get wiped by pugs. I'm surprised I haven't seen more crying on the forums.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haven't been able to play yet, personally going to re set my bombblade back up i think.
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    KILL ALL SPARE NONE !!!
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is: Does it reduce lag as expected?
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

I dont think. Their problems are far deeper in code and related on wrong architecture patterns. See in this post (Myth AoE Cap) the parts with "zone splitting" and my hint with the removing of the deers in cyro. For example they didn't implemented zone splitting.

Another example is on another post Wrobel explained the calculation of deto. The calculation of different deto dmg's are splitted into "steps" and they do the hole calculations with LOS and so on for all "steps", instead of doing it only one times. This is so lazy...

There are so much more issues, if you read between the lines. These issues are not easy to get out. So removing of aoe caps helps only a bit, but it's not the golden nail.

I think we will have that lag problem forever or for very looong time. The architecture issues are too deep.

Edit: And the aoe caps are still there. If you have a skill with sub effects, like talons (dmg + root), the sub effects are still capped to 6 targets. Only the dmg part is not capped.
    Edited by Taonnor on February 14, 2018 3:38PM
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To confirm, there was not a hint of lag reduction last night. My frames and general sluggishness (5-10s weapon swaps, etc) were pretty terrible anytime we encountered a big group.
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To confirm, there was not a hint of lag reduction last night. My frames and general sluggishness (5-10s weapon swaps, etc) were pretty terrible anytime we encountered a big group.

At the Chal milegate last night, my staff bar was using the DW animations and vice versa for a solid 15 minutes. Hard to build ult when you’re just swinging your staff around not actually firing any light attacks.
    Edited by Anrose on February 14, 2018 3:50PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag and the weapon swapping is terrible . Needs to be addressed .
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ran in a full raid for the first time since I retired VE, I noticed higher damage but no lag reduction, for what that is worth.

What I did not have were screen freezes when plowing into 40 ppl.

What I did have was the inability to swap bars.

Vehemence -- Commander and Raid Lead -- Tri-faction PvP
    Knights Paravant -- Co-GM and Raid Lead -- AD Greyhost

• Crispen_Longbow
    Crispen_Longbow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anrose wrote: »
    At the Chal milegate last night, my staff bar was using the DW animations and vice versa for a solid 15 minutes. Hard to build ult when you’re just swinging your staff around not actually firing any light attacks.
    The lag and the weapon swapping is terrible . Needs to be addressed .
    Satiar wrote: »

PUBLIC SERVER ANNOUNCEMENT: To fix the horrible weapon swap issue that we were experiencing last night, go into your video settings and change your "Texture Quality" to "low". This makes the game look like crap but it will fix your weapon swap issues. After making this change, weapon swaps went back to normal and didn't have any issues the rest of the night.

Thanks to Kirsi aka "The Sorc" for finding out this temporary fix until ZOS can fix their game.
    Crispen Longbow - Daggerfall Covenant (DC): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Blue VE, Khole, LoM, MO)
    Crispen Longboww - Aldmeri Dominion (AD): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - Crispen's House of Pain RIP (KP, Yellow VE, Omni)
    Crispen Longbow-EP - Ebonheart Pact (EP): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Red VE)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already had my texture quality to low, still had weapon swap issues.

But anyway, ran with an organized raid last night and it felt great. The only trouble we had was a group we know stacks a whole bunch of Earthgore and even they were eventually picked apart and overwhelmed.
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not notice any decrease in the server latency; at times I found it had actually increased in larger battles. But the change was good because now after killing all the deer, letting players turn themselves into bombs, letting players turn other players into bombs, adding cold fire siege weapons, creating destruction staff’s ultimate, and now removing the area effect damage caps; the devs can address the real problem instead of continuing to avoid it.
  • Jadokis
    Jadokis
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't feeling "lag". I was having trouble bar swapping because of a bug like everyone else. Frames are also dropping considerably lower than last patch. I can always fix that last part temporarily by reloading my UI, but yeah. Once all the groups get back into cyro we'll see how the lag really is.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Satiar wrote: »
    Ran in a full raid for the first time since I retired VE, I noticed higher damage but no lag reduction, for what that is worth.

What I did not have were screen freezes when plowing into 40 ppl.

i think ZOS messed something up with weapon swap. there have been a few times where it took 10 seconds to swap bars which is a lifetime when you're fighting outnumbered :'(

AOE caps being gone is great tho. it can go so bad so fast for zergs XD
    Edited by Lucky28 on February 14, 2018 5:37PM
    Invictus
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Taonnor wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »

I dont think. Their problems are far deeper in code and related on wrong architecture patterns. See in this post (Myth AoE Cap) the parts with "zone splitting" and my hint with the removing of the deers in cyro. For example they didn't implemented zone splitting.

Another example is on another post Wrobel explained the calculation of deto. The calculation of different deto dmg's are splitted into "steps" and they do the hole calculations with LOS and so on for all "steps", instead of doing it only one times. This is so lazy...

There are so much more issues, if you read between the lines. These issues are not easy to get out. So removing of aoe caps helps only a bit, but it's not the golden nail.

I think we will have that lag problem forever or for very looong time. The architecture issues are too deep.

Edit: And the aoe caps are still there. If you have a skill with sub effects, like talons (dmg + root), the sub effects are still capped to 6 targets. Only the dmg part is not capped.

It was proven in many threads that the removal of AOE caps during major fights (two 24men organized groups engaging each other) would reduce efficiently the latency and the calculations on the server. This is not the major problem of server latency but will greatly improve the performances, especially during primetime on a friday or saturday night.

I believe that the next step would be to reduce the population cap by 20%, to add a system that opens or closes additional campaigns dynamically when one is near to be full for one faction. Merge the scoreboard of all the campaigns together.

Welcome to healthy PvP.
    Edited by frozywozy on February 14, 2018 6:04PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did some dabbling around on my bomb warden last night and it felt good. The changes to steel tornado along with aoe Cap removal makes it feel like my shalk dawnbreaker tornado combo is actually taking our a sizable chunk of groups which I love.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, AOE caps are gone.

Thoughts?

wait whut? can we hide shoulders now? would like to hide ridiculous shoulders.