Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

LUA errors everywhere

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I'm finding the game basically unplayable due to UI/LUA errors. For example, I can't use a guild store AT ALL, even after deactivating Master Merchant and other trading add-ons. When I try, I get errors such as:

EsoUI/Ingame/TradingHouse/Keyboard/TradingHouse_Keyboard.lua:243: function expected instead of nil
stack traceback:
EsoUI/Ingame/TradingHouse/Keyboard/TradingHouse_Keyboard.lua:243: in function 'visibilityFunction'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:841: in function 'IsVisible'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:847: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:SetUpButton'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:516: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:AddKeybindButtonGroup'
EsoUI/Ingame/TradingHouse/Keyboard/TradingHouse_Keyboard.lua:150: in function 'SceneStateChange'
EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_CallbackObject.lua:111: in function 'ZO_CallbackObject:FireCallbacks'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:269: in function 'ZO_Scene:SetState'
EsoUI/Ingame/Scenes/InteractScene.lua:75: in function 'ZO_InteractScene:SetState'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Base.lua:161: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Base:ShowScene'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Leader.lua:252: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Leader:ShowScene'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Leader.lua:335: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Leader:OnSceneStateHidden'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Base.lua:239: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Base:OnSceneStateChange'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Leader.lua:282: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Leader:OnSceneStateChange'
EsoUI/Ingame/Scenes/IngameSceneManager.lua:329: in function 'ZO_IngameSceneManager:OnSceneStateChange'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:270: in function 'ZO_Scene:SetState'
EsoUI/Ingame/Scenes/InteractScene.lua:75: in function 'ZO_InteractScene:SetState'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:402: in function 'ZO_Scene:OnTransitionComplete'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:397: in function 'ZO_Scene:DetermineIfTransitionIsComplete'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:330: in function 'ZO_Scene:OnSceneFragmentStateChange'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneFragment.lua:114: in function 'ZO_SceneFragment:SetState'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneFragment.lua:124: in function 'ZO_SceneFragment:OnHidden'
EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneFragmentTemplates.lua:75: in function '(anonymous)'
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also get errors all the time like the following, on a fairly advanced Level 50 character:

EsoUI/Ingame/SkillsAdvisor/SkillsAdvisor_Manager.lua:268: operator < is not supported for number < nil
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/SkillsAdvisor/SkillsAdvisor_Manager.lua:268: in function 'SkillsAdvisor_Singleton:RefreshVisibleAbilityLists'
    EsoUI/Ingame/SkillsAdvisor/SkillsAdvisor_Manager.lua:109: in function 'SkillsAdvisor_Singleton:UpdateSkillBuildData'
    EsoUI/Ingame/SkillsAdvisor/SkillsAdvisor_Manager.lua:36: in function '(anonymous)'
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The used to be a setting to increase the memory allocated to LUA, but I can't find it now. Also, I vaguely remember there being an announced change to deprecate that, perhaps in connection with making the allocation automagic.

Does anybody recall the story more clearly?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Error message when I try to access the guild store from another character. It looks identical or very similar to the previous one, although that character has a different set of add-ons enabled.

EsoUI/Ingame/TradingHouse/Keyboard/TradingHouse_Keyboard.lua:243: function expected instead of nil
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/TradingHouse/Keyboard/TradingHouse_Keyboard.lua:243: in function 'visibilityFunction'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:841: in function 'IsVisible'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:847: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:SetUpButton'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:516: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:AddKeybindButtonGroup'
    EsoUI/Ingame/TradingHouse/Keyboard/TradingHouse_Keyboard.lua:150: in function 'SceneStateChange'
    EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_CallbackObject.lua:111: in function 'ZO_CallbackObject:FireCallbacks'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:269: in function 'ZO_Scene:SetState'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Base.lua:161: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Base:ShowScene'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Leader.lua:252: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Leader:ShowScene'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Leader.lua:335: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Leader:OnSceneStateHidden'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Base.lua:239: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Base:OnSceneStateChange'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneManager_Leader.lua:282: in function 'ZO_SceneManager_Leader:OnSceneStateChange'
    EsoUI/Ingame/Scenes/IngameSceneManager.lua:329: in function 'ZO_IngameSceneManager:OnSceneStateChange'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:270: in function 'ZO_Scene:SetState'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:402: in function 'ZO_Scene:OnTransitionComplete'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:397: in function 'ZO_Scene:DetermineIfTransitionIsComplete'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_Scene.lua:330: in function 'ZO_Scene:OnSceneFragmentStateChange'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneFragment.lua:114: in function 'ZO_SceneFragment:SetState'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneFragment.lua:124: in function 'ZO_SceneFragment:OnHidden'
    EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Scene/ZO_SceneFragmentTemplates.lua:75: in function '(anonymous)'
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am told that inability to interact with guild stores is not unique to me.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Having similar problems. I didn’t save screenshots, but I kept getting error messages and getting stuck in merchant and banking screens and having to force-close the program.
    Edited by DarcyMardin on February 13, 2018 2:42AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just got stuck at the woodworker merchant in Vivec City and had to force close the game.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 3:30AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just did some crafting writs in Vivec City and had the Skills Advisor error pop up approximately 10 different times.

I do suspect these problems of being worse in Vivec City than elsewhere. E.g., I could actually interact with guild stores in Rawl'kha, both via the guild traders and the bank.

But I also got the Skills Advisor error while dealing with Rolis Hlaalu outside Wayrest.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 13, 2018 4:23AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    To be fair, the add-ons are outdated now, as a game update was released today.

Which add-on do you suggest is interacting badly with the BRAND NEW skills advisor???

And did you read the part where I offered evidence that even in the banking case this behavior is independent of add-ons?
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 13, 2018 4:43AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mercifully, there's a workaround for the Skills Advisor error -- turn the whole thing off!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/395295/how-does-one-turn-off-the-accursed-skills-advisor#latest
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the update I started getting this error every time I try to use a merchant to sell trash items...I have no clue if its an actual UI error or related to addons I'm using. I tried disabling all the addons I use that might in any way affect merchants but nothing helps. Once I get the error I can't use my keyboard to do anything, not even ESC works and I have to close ESO and restart the game.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/ESO Merchant Error_zpsq7qsodg0.jpg

ESO%20Merchant%20Error_zpsq7qsodg0.jpg
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on February 13, 2018 1:01PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 3:30AM
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shut of all addons and see if you still get errors. This is common when the Ali is uppdated.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Hercules_Gaming
    Hercules_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting this same error. For me disabling the "ESO Master Recipe List" list add-on removed the error.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    update your addons, then disable the "allow out of date" option, see if the problem goes away. If it does, re-enable out of date ones one (or a few) at a time until you identify the one that's problematic.

If you are running Item Preview, that's the likely culprit.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    The LUA errors you are receiving are a result of outdated add-ons. Until those add-ons are updated, we recommend disabling them for the time being. If you still get errors after disabling add-ons, you may need to manually remove them following the steps found here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO Master Recipe List seems to be a leading culprit in this issue. After guild mates were discussing the UI errors one said turn ESO Master Recipe List off, I did and the errors immediately went away. I turned the addon back on and the error came back. I would have never suspected a recipe addon was the problem.
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on February 13, 2018 11:53PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Meryyl
    Meryyl
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. Lag, stuttering, errors. Deleted recipe maker. All is good in Tamriel.
    Police Detective: “Why did you shoot him, Marlowe?”
    Phillip Marlowe: “There was a lot of killing going on and I wasn’t getting my fair share.”
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    The LUA errors you are receiving are a result of outdated add-ons. Until those add-ons are updated, we recommend disabling them for the time being. If you still get errors after disabling add-ons, you may need to manually remove them following the steps found here.

I never had the Master Recipe add-on.

But the add-on updates I did download today (Tuesday -- Monday's weren't enough) seem to have largely fixed the problem.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was getting this same error. For me disabling the "ESO Master Recipe List" list add-on removed the error.

im using that and had no errors at all. using 1.503
  • spinality
    spinality
    ✭✭
    Disabling ESO Master Recipe List fixed all these errors for me as well.