Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

ESO poor performance with a GTX 1080ti and i7 8700k

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Run this game on a Google serverfarm and it will still have bad performance as it is simply poorly made/optimized in that regard.

Wait, are you talking about ESO or the Google server farm? You have to specify. :smile:
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing:

I upgraded from an FX-8350 to an i7-7700k and saw about a 40% increase in FPS on my setup. The reason for this is that the FX series is poor in single-thread performance compared to the i-series.

This game is CPU-intensive, and utilizes very little GPU power. You can run ultra graphics settings on a pretty modest GPU. You will see little difference between running ESO on a GTX 1080 Ti and on a more middle road GPU.

What is needed is a good CPU with a strong single thread performance, which would be either the i-series or the Ryzen series.

The i7-7700k in particular is the best value of gaming CPU on the market. The 8700k is only a 10% increase on across-the-board stats, and only ~1% increase in single core performance compared to the 7700k.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/3937vs3647

Even with a good CPU, ESO is poorly optimized. The majority of tasks are still delegated to a single thread, so potential will always be sub-par. Performance will still be okay, but it'll never be as good as it could be if the game was better optimized to utilize multiple threads.
    PC-NA Goat
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel that this discussion is pointless since this was also discussed pretty often with nothing changing...besides since I have a monster of a PC and I run every game out on the market with over 70 solid FPS on an actual 4k monitor yet ESO it struggles btw 30-60 fps in combat its silly and people pointing fingers and telling me that "stuff might be wrong with ur rig" just no...please stop there.
    just as a matter of fact im having the exact same performance as I had on my 1920-1080 144hz one... so yeah I think we all should agree at this point that this is no longer a hardware issue.
    PC specs:
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeange Red CL16 Dual Channel
    CPU: Intel Kaby Lake X, Core i7 7740X 4.30GHz
    MOBO: MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
    PSU: Segotep GP1350G, 80+ Gold, 1250W
    Storage: SSD Patriot Hellfire 480GB PCI Express x4 M.2 2280 (I have this one for ESO specifically and alone and I have multiple SSDs for OS and other games+stuff)
    GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti POSEIDON Platinum Edition 11GB DDR5X 352-bit x2 SLI
    Display: Monitor LED ASUS Gaming ROG Swift PG348Q Curved 34 inch 5ms black-orange G-Sync 100Hz
    Connection: Fiber-link
    Keyboard: Gaming Cougar 600K, Cherry MX Black Mechanical
    Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
    Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White
    G7TjpLd.jpg
    right now I would actually love an official reply from our lovely ZoS staff if possible @ZOS_GinaBruno since I am pretty sure my toaster should handle it better than this? ;)
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want better performance , better Overclock ur CPU ,
    My CPU is i7740x 4.3ghz stock overclocked to 4.8Ghz . It does help !
    If you wanna go realy hardcore you could build Custom liquid cooling and OC to 5.5 ghz if you are lucky enough to have CPU which hapens to be from good sample.
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    This is unacceptable from ZOS. We should have better experience as the game is 4 years old now.

ZOS please fix your game otherwise we are going to stop the support.

No support = dead game.

Ask Bungie about Destiny
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the game runs on DX9, it depends on your CPU more than your GPU, and it's mostly single core. They would need to update the engine, and I have not heard of many MMOS do that.

It's a real shame that you can't run this game on max settings unless you have an amazing CPU that can run a single thread well enough to do so.
    Edited by SisterGoat on February 11, 2018 1:08AM
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Im_MegaDeath
    Im_MegaDeath
    ✭✭✭
    watch a few optimization videos COUGH COUGH
    DC - Im MegaDeath (Stam DK) PvP
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    Because the game runs on DX9, it depends on your CPU more than your GPU, and it's mostly single core. They would need to update the engine, and I have not heard of many MMOS do that.

The game is DX 11. DX 9 support has long been removed. But, yes the game still is mostly single threaded.
  • JackDaniell
    JackDaniell
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Zenimax doesn't do something to address this issue they will just loose more players. Just look at the forums, half the posts are about poor server performance.
    Ebonheart Templar

www.youtube.com/user/kristofersommermusic
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zer0oo wrote: »
    It does not matter on how good your pc is if the game is not really optimized.

Meanwhile...

https://youtu.be/f8_ED7Ch00Y

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/391673/running-eso-at-10k#latest

i7 7740x @4.5ghz
    GTX1080ti
    16gb ram DDR4 @3000mhz
    Edited by LordSemaj on February 11, 2018 1:33AM
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    killmove wrote: »
    If you think that upgrading your rig will enchance the game performance and graphics then save your money.

Proof :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKTo8QmNsU

Does the 8700k really run that hot? 54C at 20%load is insane. My 3770K overclocked to 4.5ghz is in the low 40s at the same load.

• bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with that rig I wouldn't recommend having View Distance and particles turned up to max like that.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »

The game is DX 11. DX 9 support has long been removed. But, yes the game still is mostly single threaded.

The game is DX 11, but much of the underpinnings were developed around DX9 limitations, and that is what needs to be updated.
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an i7 4th gen with a 970 and run full graphics, 4k at 50 to 60 fps, goes to 40 in town
  • Im_MegaDeath
    Im_MegaDeath
    ✭✭✭
    LordSemaj wrote: »

Meanwhile...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/391673/running-eso-at-10k#latest

i7 7740x @4.5ghz
    GTX1080ti
    16gb ram DDR4 @3000mhz

What does this video mean? so you can run 8k in one spot without playing the game? Frames tank as soon as you move. The game isnt optimized well at all compared to other AAA titles. no matter the system in high stress areas like PvP and Trials the game tanks on frmaes regardless of PC. Thats why ive been making videos to show players tricks to get better performance from this game we all love so much.
    DC - Im MegaDeath (Stam DK) PvP
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think that upgrading your rig will enchance the game performance and graphics then save your money.

Proof :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKTo8QmNsU

i dunno on my ryzen and gt 1080ti i get pretty consistent 60fps on 4k and everything maxed... only dolmens and similar situations get down to 30
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @killmove

What are your graphics settings? Some features have a big impact on fps but hardly improve the graphics.

I can imagine you’re running the game at 4k so optimisation might benefit you. This guide is pretty useful to understand what effects the settings have.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3jjoql/are_you_having_fps_issues_wih_eso_on_a_pc_well/
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on February 11, 2018 9:34AM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    @killmove

What are your graphics settings? Some features have a big impact on fps but hardly improve the graphics.

I can imagine you’re running the game at 4k so optimisation might benefit you. This guide is pretty useful to understand what effects the settings have.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3jjoql/are_you_having_fps_issues_wih_eso_on_a_pc_well/

my graphic setting is at 1440p 120hz with everything maxed out.
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    LordSemaj wrote: »

Meanwhile...

i7 7740x @4.5ghz
    GTX1080ti
    16gb ram DDR4 @3000mhz

lol water reflection off + ally effect off (that's like 20-25 fps gain) and the town is empty.

i don't know what you want to show us but this is useless video.
  • Jah_Shaka
    Jah_Shaka
    ✭✭
    ESO for starters is limited to run @ 100 fps

It's a well known fact fps slows down when in towns & cities, but when out in the wilds or in dungeons etc you should see fps max out at 100.

If you like ESO you just have to put up with it if it bothers you that much.

• FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Run this game on a Google serverfarm and it will still have bad performance as it is simply poorly made/optimized in that regard.

Wait, are you talking about ESO or the Google server farm? You have to specify. :smile:

My bad! Of course I mean Google serverfarms are just to poorly optimized to handle this eighth wonder of the world of a game.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, the game engine used to develop ESO is very old.
    We're talking around a decade old. Do note that the only improvements you'll see after tweaks are stabilised frame rate and increased but limitied max FPS attainable, never more than those. The engine can only utilise 1 core at most (though there are reports that it can use 2, albeit rarely) due to its limited source codes.
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they don't redo the development,

FFXIV was very bad and full of glitches, those Japanese redo all from the start and the result is like night and day.
    By the way the FFXIV is the best mmo at the moment.

Did Square Enix got bigger balls than ZOS? Maybe because they believed on what they were doing, not sure this the case of ZOS.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

FFXIV was very bad and full of glitches, those Japanese redo all from the start and the result is like night and day.

Did Square Enix got bigger balls than ZOS? Maybe because they believed on what they were doing, not sure this the case of ZOS.

It is ultimately a business decision, and we really don't know what they have in mind.

If ESO is crown jewel of the studio, and the business numbers support a "redo", then you can be sure they will do it.

If ESO is just the first of many games they want to make, and they have another game in the works, then there may not be a compelling reason to go back to ESO and fix a game that will no longer be the "jewel" when the new game comes out.

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @killmove

my graphic setting is at 1440p 120hz with everything maxed out.

Try to turn down particle density completely and set view distance between 50-70 to see if it helps. Some settings only seem to increase fps with no visual improvement.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game is CPU based so if you were already using a good cpu, you prob were fine.

I’m sure someone can comment later on diff tweaks. Looks like you got great hardware tho

Shoooot I’d buy another game just to show it off.

This is the answer. The previous generation of GPUs is really just fine for this game. OC of the CPU helps as well since the game mostly uses a single core. Hopefully with ditching 32 bit support Zos will begin to utilize more of what PCs (and yes Macs) can do these days.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the 8700k really run that hot?
    No, it doesn't. Well, mine doesn't. Not sure what he did to his to make it run that hot.

Mine rarely ever sees 40C, it's usually between 30C and 40C ...
    :smile:
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jah_Shaka wrote: »
    ESO for starters is limited to run @ 100 fps

It's a well known fact fps slows down when in towns & cities, but when out in the wilds or in dungeons etc you should see fps max out at 100.

If you like ESO you just have to put up with it if it bothers you that much.

@Jah_Shaka

On PC you can change the setting in the configuration file so it is not limited to 100 fps.
    Edited by danno8 on February 11, 2018 6:01PM
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭

It is ultimately a business decision, and we really don't know what they have in mind.

If ESO is crown jewel of the studio, and the business numbers support a "redo", then you can be sure they will do it.

If ESO is just the first of many games they want to make, and they have another game in the works, then there may not be a compelling reason to go back to ESO and fix a game that will no longer be the "jewel" when the new game comes out.

does that mean that the game is no more supported, some kinda of take it or leave it ?

why do i bother then subscrib to an eso+ if the game is going to die.

i though ESO was tough as WOW :(