Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

ice mage

• Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made one. Winter born nerineth and necromancer. So good! Pulling around 25k single and aoe is a monster. Can solo most vet dungeons. Not the new ones but no one can do that so...
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you tried a full ice mage setup OP?

I'm willing to bet you can break 25k on a dummy without too many issues using ice staves on front and back bar.
    i made a warden for that reason only. not max level yet but eventually... i'm just not going to let all those maelstrom and infallible aether ice staves go to waste...

Just don't put points into "Tri focus" so you don't taunt anything accidentally.
    If you can hit 25k dps thats plenty of damage to complete all hardmode vet dungeons and for the craglorn vet trials (non hardmode)

I saw a group complete vet white gold tower doing nothing but light attacks. Does not mean its good.

I feel that i would like all elements to have similar damage outputs with different utility.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Dunmer Ice Warden in PVP. It's actually VERY effective for damage and crowd control.

5 Winterborn
    5 Ysgramor
    2 Valkyn Skoria (you can trade Valkyn for Ice Heart for more survivability)

SnB front bar

Ice Staff back bar

CCs for daaaaaaays.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Dunmer Ice Warden in PVP. It's actually VERY effective for damage and crowd control.

5 Winterborn
    5 Ysgramor

SnB front bar

Ice Staff back bar

CCs for daaaaaaays.

interesting, and what is your choice of skill to synergize with all this clod skill?
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Volckodav wrote: »

5 Winterborn
    5 Ysgramor

SnB front bar

Ice Staff back bar

CCs for daaaaaaays.

interesting, and what is your choice of skill to synergize with all this clod skill?

There’s only one synergy for the ice warden abilities (the friendly teleport) but i use the agressive teleport to pull enemies away from ball groups in cyrodiil.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    PLZZZZ buff magic warden pve so i can play as an ice mage and not feel gimped! that is all :)

nothing they do is going to make you not feel gimped as an ice mage. They wont make ice staves perform better for a damage role than fire or lightning staves do currently. Ice dps will never be the meta.

if you want to feel like an ice mage, be a warden frost tank and deal with the damage being low.

This post sums up all the problems with magden right now.
    love is love
  • Night_Child
    Night_Child
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    My mag ice warden pretty much sucks, but is unique kind of. Good for normal stuff.

Rocking winterborn/Maelstrom Frosty/Master Frosty/ Willpower and Iceheart. It’s funny, even on normal I’ve had tanks yell at me for stealing their aggro. His damage is not a lot.

It is great when you kill something and it freezes into a statue and disintegrate. The winterborn proc is pretty cool too. And iceheart just to complete the frosty theme.

Try Ysgramor's Birthright and Scathing Mage. Lose Willpower and Winterborn. You might actually pick up damage and keep your Ice theme going pending your rotation. Also, remove the Tri Focus passive off your Ice Staff(s). It will stop you from taking aggro.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I kind of gave up on the ice Mage thing after awhile. Now rocking a LIKO build. It’s still not a lot of damage for me because I’m still bad. But it clears Maelstrom.

No Bear. Necro/Willpower/ Slimecraw/ Asylum front/ Maelstrom Back

It was the first Warden over 600k score build. Probably more due to skill than gear, but it works pretty good.
  • Night_Child
    Night_Child
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Thanks. I kind of gave up on the ice Mage thing after awhile. Now rocking a LIKO build. It’s still not a lot of damage for me because I’m still bad. But it clears Maelstrom.

No Bear. Necro/Willpower/ Slimecraw/ Asylum front/ Maelstrom Back

It was the first Warden over 600k score build. Probably more due to skill than gear, but it works pretty good.

Oh okay. Whatever works for you. Currently the Ice Wizard has options that puts them up there. They will always be the lesser dps of the 3 elements, but very fun and competitive in stats. Race and class can play a role in damage/healing output. Well, keep having fun. Take care.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 ice warden may keep freeze status up. This will reduce mobs' dmg on teammates and tank. tanks will need less survivability, healers can focus less on healing. Can this work? anyone have thought?
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »
    I think we'll be getting a magicka tank weapon set, and therefore working DPS ice staves, in the next chapter.

I dont. ZOS isnt known for going back on their changes, no matter how badly implemented.

And there's far more people using ice staves now than there were before they were turned into a tanking weapon. Even if a few vocal complainers keep crying that they want to do ice dps (If they did, they would've been using them before the change regardless of efficiency), the numbers say they're more popular now.
    PLZZZZ buff magic warden pve so i can play as an ice mage and not feel gimped! that is all :)

nothing they do is going to make you not feel gimped as an ice mage. They wont make ice staves perform better for a damage role than fire or lightning staves do currently. Ice dps will never be the meta.

if you want to feel like an ice mage, be a warden frost tank and deal with the damage being low.

ice staves dont have to be higher...just on par

You cant make ice staves on par with lightning staves without creating an imbalance, and you cant make them on par with fire staves without creating an imbalance. You'll end up screwing up the meta and have even more people complaining that their hard-farmed vMA fire/lightning staves are now worthless, all because a few people want a visual change to their dps (and that's really the extent of it, the people crying about not being able to play icemage are wanting to remove a tanking weapon from the game just so they can have blue attacks instead of orange. Pure selfishness).
    klowdy1 wrote: »
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    As much as I’d love for this to occur, I have a feeling that ZOS won’t do that. Especially when ice staves are viewed as “tank weapons” now (lol). Not only that, but ice damage in general is extremely mediocre unfortunately. Combine all that with the fact that something like an ice mage would probably get complained and whined about by the PvP community, and you have a highly unlikely situation on your hands.

For sure. There is a new thread complaining about snares. The first thing that springs to mind with ice magic is speed impairing effects. That and ice armor/shields. I like frost mages, but it just really works better as a supportive role in this game. They do need to buff frost staves, though, to be on par with S&B.

Agreed. They're an excellent tanking weapon and, as of now, the only real loss to a 1h/shield is the extra set item slot. Unfortunately that one little thing makes ice staves very difficult to justify as a primary tanking option because 5/5/2 setups are so important in this game, particularly for tanks who are always having to run support sets to buff the group.
    Arobain wrote: »
    ice mage is absolutely fine, in fact my best overall character is an ice mage, you guys just got be creative, ice mage does NOT play the same as other builds

P.S. i have both an ice staff character and several SB characters, and i prefer my ice staff, its perfectly up to par, it just plays differently

P.P.S: heres the stats for my ice mage build
    bcab26ce1ff736459bb301b7a5859d4c.png

it does good damage, and it can tank, so far i have tanked VCOA2 and VWGT without any issues except for when i'm not paying attention and those minotaurs from that one horns of the reach dungeon get their one hit kill in when my ward goes down

You really shouldnt be tanking anything with 11k health. Even after food buffs you're only looking at 15-16k tops, and most dungeon bosses have a mechanic that will one shot anyone under 17k, so I'm honestly not surprised at all that you're dying to minotaurs when your ward is down (hell they're probably close to one shotting you while the ward is up). All you're doing with that setup is making life hard on your healer.
    There are not that many skills as "ice" on the warden to make it viable
    If you could use ice staff as dps that would be diferent but since ice staff if not used by anyone (tanks or dps) you cant currently make use of ice builds.
    As a tank for me ice staff changes were the worst of the worst implementations in ESO

That's an unfounded statement, and purely false. ZOS has the metrics on usage of weapon types, and they're being used more now than they ever were as a dps weapon. Outside of vet hm trials, MOST warden tanks at least back bar an ice staff, and some other classes are starting to as well. After the offbalance changes, it's more likely for tanks to back bar an ice staff than a lightning staff, as a healer or one dps can keep up offbalance and open up more utility and survivability options to the tank.

As a front bar tanking weapon, ice staves still fall a hair short of 1h/shield, which is why they still dont seem as prevalent as they should. That's almost entirely down to the fact that you lose the 5/5/2 setup with an ice stave slotted, due to no offhand weapon for the second set item bonus. On the back bar this isnt an issue, since you can swap back to 1h/shield when needed for your support set 5 piece (like alkosh, powerful assault, etc.).

Even with concussion and offbalance from lightning staves, I still think ice staves are on par as a backbar for tanks. Blockade of frost is an AoE minor maim, snare, and immobilize now, so if your group has another source of concussed/offbalance (like a healer/dps running a lightning staff at all) you get far more benefit from using ice over lightning for your support weapon. That's even excluding the fact that it literally gives you double the resource pool to block with as well as a free ranged taunt.
    Arobain wrote: »
    but i'm sure to the nay sayers even if i posted videos of me tanking the hardest content, or me winning duels against others, it wont change their minds, and they'll just go

' so? i dont care, its still *** because i said so "

you guys say yall want the ice staff and ice mage builds to work and be good, but they are good, and you're just not willing to even try to make or use a build that revolves around it because its outside of the meta, or outside of your comfort zone, idk

Arent you the guy that said nightblade tanking is fine because you have a theorycrafted build that doesnt even run trials?

but isn't if the same if you want to use a fire staff because it is orange? why isnt that considered selfish? so because ice staff may become better than fire staff that's a problem? you wanting your orange or blue light instead of white is selfish too...it goes both ways bro...lol...im surprised you couldnt see that was faulty logic

Read it the exact same way. It's selfish if one wants to shake up the meta and have ice on par with the other two elements, as it should, but it's not selfish for the folks who want to see orange/blue instead of white? What makes your vma fire staff more important than my vma ice staff? Mind boggling.

I'm not wanting to kill staff tanks, just introduce a proper tanking staff with it's own unique skills abilites as like the SB tree and give ice mages a proper dps staff on par with the other two elements. It is under the DESTRUCTION staff tree is it not? How is this selfish?
    Edited by Sevn on September 19, 2018 6:32PM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I know this has been said before, but I will say it again, NECRO.

I know this has been said before, but I will say it again: STFU. NOBODY CARES. If I am going to update a build that is not updated so that future readers could read material not outdated and is relevant to the topic, I am going to do it. Like it or love it. There are posts on here from February 2018, so go police someone else you fool.

Wow, that was mean...