The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

When are the races getting any balance changes?

• Sabbathius
    Sabbathius
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll be done eventually, because it is such a wonderful cash cow. Every time they nerf a popular race, and buff an unpopular one, a ton of people fork over 3 - 3.5k crowns PER CHARACTER to change to whatever the new strong race is. And then the cycle repeats, a year or so later, and they pay 3 - 3.5k crowns per character yet again. It's a wonderful, low-effort milking tool, AND it maintains the perception that they're actually making an effort balancing the races, even though they're just rotating them.

• Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sabbathius wrote: »
    It'll be done eventually, because it is such a wonderful cash cow. Every time they nerf a popular race, and buff an unpopular one, a ton of people fork over 3 - 3.5k crowns PER CHARACTER to change to whatever the new strong race is. And then the cycle repeats, a year or so later, and they pay 3 - 3.5k crowns per character yet again. It's a wonderful, low-effort milking tool, AND it maintains the perception that they're actually making an effort balancing the races, even though they're just rotating them.

Every time? Haven't they really only once done a racial revamp? I only remember one but then again I will leave for months at a time and come back so could easily miss it.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord does need a buff.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Nord does need a buff.

Agreed, but I doubt ZOS would ever buff Nord. Can you imagine all of the hotty Nord waifus running around. ZOS can't have that happening, now can they?
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    I can't believe you people. You sound like total hypocrites. You don't want classes to be balanced (argonian nerfed, that is) because of PVE? FRICKIN PVE?

You've been doing the same frickin scripted fights since cp cap was at 561. Literally the same thing over and over again, and you want to risk PvP balance where EVERY SINGLE encounter is different, even against the same person BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOSE 2K TOTAL DPS OR HPS?

Lmfao give me a damn break with "don't ruin PvE because of PvP". PvE is a *** joke in this game, don't claim like removing argonian off pool regen or max hp would hurt you a single bit.

Please gtfo if you're a casual, race has no effect on you.

*Enters PVP
    1. Joins Zerg
    2. Fights opposing Zerg
    3. Win or loses Zerg festival
    4. Rinse and repeat
    5. Gets ganked by a nightblade during 10 mile journey to return to the Zerg Festival

• The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was going to roll an Argonian DK tank, but after reading this I'm not so sure anymore. With my luck, they'll nerf it (or buff Nord or Imperial) just as it's fully leveled. Lol
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Races received a balance change about 9 months ago and I think a little tweak since on maybe one race.

I would suggest to not expect any changes here unless specifically mentioned. Certainly no one can or will tell you anything at this time. Most of the races have good passives. All cannot be equal ofc.

Agree. There is nothing wrong to have BiS races for the trinity roles. At the most we should do for balancing is to slightly narrow the gap between 1st tier and 2nd tier races for each trinity role. Anything than a 3rd tier race is more trouble than it's worth. Racial passive are similar to genetics, period. The silliest suggestion I have read so far is to have race as purely cosmetic and to select from a prepackaged group of passive to flesh out the character.

• Raz415
    Raz415
    ✭✭✭
    LOL what a joke, people actually complaining on spending money on race tokens. No one forced your hand. You enjoyed the benefits of your race change for a long time. You never paid for a "play best race forever" token, you paid for a one time race change token and that's exactly what you got.

Now quit your whining and let the game improve.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, how the times have changed. Argonians were, for such a long time, worthless. At launch, Argonian had a brief period of relevance with NB because potions were OP back in the day and Argonian NBs got a hefty 45% (or was it 55%) increase in potion effectiveness. 1.6 nerfed Argonians to the hands down worst race in the entire game by changing potions as well as the effects of NB and Argonian potion passives. We got some slight buffs to our health stat periodically but nothing else really for a long time. Thieves Guild uped the potion restore from potion passive from 8% to 12% but again, nothing relevant to our DPS and we just became slightly better tanks. One Tamriel comes around and changed the potion passive again to flat values, increased our max magic by 3% and made Argonians the best healers by changing our 9% healing received, into 5/5% split between Healing Done and Healing Received. It was at that time, people felt Argonians were, mostly fine, despite their damage still being subpar. Then Morrowind came and made everyone else suffer. The high damage of the other races were struck down by being unable to sustain worth a damn, while Argonians just continue chugging potions like Skooma Addicts and being OP because we can still do close to our Pre-Morrowind damage and the collective masses loses their s***.

Oh, how the times have changed.

Regardless, since I've been an Argonian since I started playing, despite all the ridicule they received over the years and have been constantly fighting for what we have now, I'll be damned if I see them nerfed to harshly so I'll just list a few suggestions to bring other races up and see how things go from there.

Nord
    Stalwart - Increase Max Stamina by 3/6/9% and Health Recovery by 6/13/20%
    Rugged - Increase Damage Resist by 2/4/6% and Restore 400 stamina whenever you take damage. This effect can occur once every 3 seconds.
    Lets Nord keep their damage resistance while also letting them restore stamina every few seconds on getting hit. Makes them pretty powerful Tanks now, while giving them a bit more damage in the stamina department

Breton
    Magicka Mastery - Reduce the cost of spells by 2/3/4% and Increase Magic Regen by 1/3/5%
    Ever so small buff to the Reduce Cost effect with an added Magic Regen buff to make it a more sustainable Magic Race over Altmer

Khajiit
    Nimble - Increase Max Health by 2/4/6% and Increase Stamina Regen by 4/8/12%
    Stealthy - Reduces your detection radius in Stealth by 1/2/3m, Increases damage done while in Stealth by 2/4/6% and Increase Max Stamina by 1/2/3%
    Carnage - Increase Weapon and Spell Critial by 2/5/8%
    . Khajiit loses its Health regen passive in place of a 6% health buff as well as 3% more Stamina. Legit just tacked on the spell crit so that people would stop complaining about Magic Khajiit under representation.

Bosmer
    Stealthy - Reduces your detection radius in Stealth by 1/2/3m, Increases damage done while in Stealth by 2/4/6% and Increase Max Stamina by 1/2/3%
    Same as Khajiit. More Max Stamina.

On Stealthy nerf for Khajiit and Bosmer
    Stealthy is not a healthy passive in this game, at all. It shoehorns both Khajiit and Bosmer into being nothing but gank NB builds in PvP, limiting their overall options in both PvP and PvE as they underperform in all other classes. To grant a level of flexibility in other classes, while still allowing for the ganker route to be viable, Stealthy REQUIRED this nerf.

Imperial
    Red Diamond - Your light/heavy attacks restore 500 Max Health and 400 Max Stamina + Max Magicka. This effect can occur once every 4 seconds.
    No Chance %. Just a pure, flat Tri-stat restore that occurs on any weaved attacks every 4 seconds.

Orc
    Brawny - Increase Max Health and Stamina by 3/5/8%
    I wanted to update Orcs so that it won't be completely outclassed by Khajiit and a minor Stamina and Health buff might be enough to keep them on the map as a decent Stamina race

Argonian
    Resourceful - Increase your Max Magic by 2/4/6%, whenever you drink a potion you restore 1200/2400/3600 Health/Magic/Stamina
    Quick to Mend - Increase your Healing done and Received by 1/2/3%
    I HATE YOU ALL, making me nerf Argonians at all after YEARS of inferiority and I know if I don't, someone is going to lose their minds but if I'm going to have to suggest nerfs I'm going to get something out of it, so I'm going to get my 6% max magic if I'm losing resources from Resourceful as well as some of the healing bonuses from Quick to Mend.

There. If ANYONE has a an issue with a single thing suggested, I would like to hear it. These are just my opinion on things, some changes I'd like (or dislike) to see to help balance the spectrum on races and keep them on more of an even footing in all aspects of the game. Even now, I'm reconsidering some of these changes as they might tip the scales a little TOO much in one direction but I digress.

I appreciate the attitude of your response here. Good shift for Imperial. Good shift on Sneakers (I'll still feel Argonian shoulda had something like this). Agree with Breton notions. In all though I don't think they're gonna change anything with races. (By the way I'm one of those early Argonian Nightblades as well, big fan of Argonians).
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on February 11, 2018 4:41PM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Sabbathius
    Sabbathius
    ✭✭✭✭
    ONE thing that I want, if they do a race review, is one free race change token for each char of the races affected. If you are going to screw around with our characters, at least give us the tools to repair the damage at no additional cost. I have 14 characters, and many of them are meta races (Dunmer, Altmer, Redguard, Bosmer), and there's positively no way in holy hell that I'll fork over 3k crowns per char just to keep them operational. And at the same time I don't enjoy playing suboptimal. So given a choice between getting stuck in suboptimal following some nerfs, or paying 3k crowns per char, I'd rather choose door number 3 and leave the game entirely.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, how the times have changed. Argonians were, for such a long time, worthless. At launch, Argonian had a brief period of relevance with NB because potions were OP back in the day and Argonian NBs got a hefty 45% (or was it 55%) increase in potion effectiveness. 1.6 nerfed Argonians to the hands down worst race in the entire game by changing potions as well as the effects of NB and Argonian potion passives. We got some slight buffs to our health stat periodically but nothing else really for a long time. Thieves Guild uped the potion restore from potion passive from 8% to 12% but again, nothing relevant to our DPS and we just became slightly better tanks. One Tamriel comes around and changed the potion passive again to flat values, increased our max magic by 3% and made Argonians the best healers by changing our 9% healing received, into 5/5% split between Healing Done and Healing Received. It was at that time, people felt Argonians were, mostly fine, despite their damage still being subpar. Then Morrowind came and made everyone else suffer. The high damage of the other races were struck down by being unable to sustain worth a damn, while Argonians just continue chugging potions like Skooma Addicts and being OP because we can still do close to our Pre-Morrowind damage and the collective masses loses their s***.

Oh, how the times have changed.

Regardless, since I've been an Argonian since I started playing, despite all the ridicule they received over the years and have been constantly fighting for what we have now, I'll be damned if I see them nerfed to harshly so I'll just list a few suggestions to bring other races up and see how things go from there.

Nord
    Stalwart - Increase Max Stamina by 3/6/9% and Health Recovery by 6/13/20%
    Rugged - Increase Damage Resist by 2/4/6% and Restore 400 stamina whenever you take damage. This effect can occur once every 3 seconds.
    Lets Nord keep their damage resistance while also letting them restore stamina every few seconds on getting hit. Makes them pretty powerful Tanks now, while giving them a bit more damage in the stamina department

Breton
    Magicka Mastery - Reduce the cost of spells by 2/3/4% and Increase Magic Regen by 1/3/5%
    Ever so small buff to the Reduce Cost effect with an added Magic Regen buff to make it a more sustainable Magic Race over Altmer

Khajiit
    Nimble - Increase Max Health by 2/4/6% and Increase Stamina Regen by 4/8/12%
    Carnage - Increase Weapon and Spell Critial by 2/5/8%
    . Khajiit loses its Health regen passive in place of a 6% health buff as well as 3% more Stamina. Legit just tacked on the spell crit so that people would stop complaining about Magic Khajiit under representation.

Bosmer
    Same as Khajiit. More Max Stamina.

On Stealthy nerf for Khajiit and Bosmer
    Stealthy is not a healthy passive in this game, at all. It shoehorns both Khajiit and Bosmer into being nothing but gank NB builds in PvP, limiting their overall options in both PvP and PvE as they underperform in all other classes. To grant a level of flexibility in other classes, while still allowing for the ganker route to be viable, Stealthy REQUIRED this nerf.

Imperial
    Red Diamond - Your light/heavy attacks restore 500 Max Health and 400 Max Stamina + Max Magicka. This effect can occur once every 4 seconds.
    No Chance %. Just a pure, flat Tri-stat restore that occurs on any weaved attacks every 4 seconds.

Orc
    Brawny - Increase Max Health and Stamina by 3/5/8%
    I wanted to update Orcs so that it won't be completely outclassed by Khajiit and a minor Stamina and Health buff might be enough to keep them on the map as a decent Stamina race

Argonian
    Resourceful - Increase your Max Magic by 2/4/6%, whenever you drink a potion you restore 1200/2400/3600 Health/Magic/Stamina
    Quick to Mend - Increase your Healing done and Received by 1/2/3%
    I HATE YOU ALL, making me nerf Argonians at all after YEARS of inferiority and I know if I don't, someone is going to lose their minds but if I'm going to have to suggest nerfs I'm going to get something out of it, so I'm going to get my 6% max magic if I'm losing resources from Resourceful as well as some of the healing bonuses from Quick to Mend.

There. If ANYONE has a an issue with a single thing suggested, I would like to hear it. These are just my opinion on things, some changes I'd like (or dislike) to see to help balance the spectrum on races and keep them on more of an even footing in all aspects of the game. Even now, I'm reconsidering some of these changes as they might tip the scales a little TOO much in one direction but I digress.

I appreciate the attitude of your response here. Good shift for Imperial. Good shift on Sneakers (I'll still feel Argonian shoulda had something like this). Agree with Breton notions. In all though I don't think they're gonna change anything with races. (By the way I'm one of those early Argonian Nightblades as well, big fan of Argonians).

The funny thing is, after reviewing the math, Imperials would restore the same amount of resources that Argonians currently do, so the numbers on either the Argonian Passive or Imperial one would need to be readjusted so that they don't invalidate each other. Nords is fine because it requires taking damage but Imperials would just replace Argonian as the best tank race and we'd have the same problem that we're currently having.

Argonian forever
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Nord templar since release 2014, and MAGIC TEMPLAR since December 2014...I some what approve.

The races max stats allocations needs to go. OR give us an option to choose max stat allocation. Maybe through giving more points for character sheets, to the equivalent of 10% increases.

Each race only needs a unique to them passive that gives minor, say 3% sustain or like argonians when you drink a pot, or redguard stamina passive.

Then their special passive like argonian healing, nord damage mitigation...bosmer sneak crit damage.

And to add in some fluff...a racial active ability for each race. It could even be an already in game buff. Maybe even something like a synergy skill hell I don't know somthing not powerful.

This would mean you could play as your bosmer tank, your Breton thief, khajit sorc.

All these combinations are there in lore and in game as examples. Not to mention we already know your character Is NOT the representative of your race. Other wise all nords would be dragon knight tanks. All bosmer would be werewolf stamina bow gankblades. All altmer would be magic templar DPS and healers.

That is not what I want in the game. And find it upsetting that my magically inclined nord somehow can't cast a shield like an altmer.

Edited by Baconlad on February 11, 2018 9:52PM
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians are not that strong to carry people just because they are Argonians as some claim. Period. Argonians only live few seconds longer and that's about it. Even when they are healers. Argonians were trash before and they are now at least an option for 2 roles. Back in the days, Argonians were irrelevant in both tanking and healing. Why should anyone who mains Argonian tank and heals be forced to pay for race change?
    Resourceful passive is not OP at all. It is finally a decent passive to make Argonians viable choice and better fits the lore. It would've been OP if the things worked like before where potion passive and NB passive synergized so well. But it is hardly OP and there are still a lot more max magicka race mNBs and stam race sNBs out there than Argonians. Passive is fine. Argonians are fine. What is needed is other races with outdated passives (Imperials for example) or underwhelming passives like Khajiits be updated to better fit into the current game.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel