The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

When are the races getting any balance changes?

Vance.Frost
Vance.Frost
✭✭✭
I play on xbox but i like to read the pts notes. I feel like a few races need to be changed. Nords need some love while Argonians need a little bit of a tuning. Argonians are the most viable as tank and healer roles in both PvE and PvP because of their sustainability and healing bonus. They push Bretons and Altmer from the healing spots. Nord is only ever seen in PvE and Argonians make that even lower then before.Nords are probably the worst race in the game having the worst passives that make tanking PvE the only viable role. I can't be the only one who thinks so.
  • dirtykdx
    dirtykdx
    ✭✭✭
    True. But...not happening this patch. Maybe something with the rumored larger balance changes in the Q2 expansion chapter.
    @dirtykdx PC NA
    [The Shogunate]
    /taunt doesn't work on bosses
  • Vance.Frost
    Vance.Frost
    ✭✭✭
    We can hope. :(
  • Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭

I really hope not...it really messes with people who have already maxed characters with the race in mind. Unless they have race change tokens for everyone I hope they don't change them, would be very unfair to current players.
  • Vance.Frost
    Vance.Frost
    ✭✭✭
    Kwik1 wrote: »

I really hope not...it really messes with people who have already maxed characters with the race in mind. Unless they have race change tokens for everyone I hope they don't change them, would be very unfair to current players.
    It's unfair to anyone who is currently using an under powered race or only have access to 3 races in their friends alliance.
  • Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭

It's unfair to anyone who is currently using an under powered race or only have access to 3 races in their friends alliance.

You picked your race right? Now after picking it you are mad that it isn't as good as another?

And you only have access to 3 races in your friends alliance because you didn't buy the any race anywhere DLC. Yes it costs crowns but it has been there for ages. You have had plenty of opportunity to buy that and make any race you want.

Now explain to me how it is fair to ANYONE that made a DK tank with Argonian specifically FOR the racial bonuses to suddenly find out that you decided you didn't like the current setup so they now wasted all that time min/maxing because they enjoy that? You want everything changed because the race YOU like doesn't perform the way YOU want it to?!?!? Yeah that's a fair way to screw over a ton of people in the game.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is unfair to players would be to leave races as they are in it's current state. It's BiS for mag/stam DK (arguably), mag/stam Warden (arguably for stam, no discussion for mag), magblade (literally no brainer), magplar (same, you're shooting yourself in the leg if you don't run it).

That's 6 classes that have the BiS race choice an argonian for pvp. Please tell me again what's unfair? Argonian is the single most overpowered race to ever touch this game, not even redguard in it's prime was this broken (PvP wise).

Just take away the offstat regen from argonian already and make the healing bonus smaller.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

What is unfair to players would be to leave races as they are in it's current state. It's BiS for mag/stam DK (arguably), mag/stam Warden (arguably for stam, no discussion for mag), magblade (literally no brainer), magplar (same, you're shooting yourself in the leg if you don't run it).

That's 6 classes that have the BiS race choice an argonian for pvp. Please tell me again what's unfair? Argonian is the single most overpowered race to ever touch this game, not even redguard in it's prime was this broken (PvP wise).

Just take away the offstat regen from argonian already and make the healing bonus smaller.

How do you think people who used crowns to race change would feel about your suggested change to Argonians?

I suggested an overhaul of race passives awhile ago that would separate them from your actual race as part of a separate skill tree which IMO is the only way to balance them out.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish they'd add spell crit chance for dunmers
  • Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭

Lets get one thing clear...I personally feel races are TOTALLY unbalanced. Totally. No argument. None. Right now there are like 4 races I would play and that's it.

Having said that...IT DOES NOT MATTER! Too many players have already put in a ton of hours into min/maxing their toons based on the races as they are now. Again how is it fair to those players that you suggest we suddenly change them? You made the choice to play whatever ace you are playing and you played the game, but you had a choice. You basically are telling everyone in the game to go screw themselves because you want a race makeover.

Again if they did a free race change token on every toon it wouldn't matter 1 bit, but that is not going to happen. Until they do that is is simply not a fair thing to do to players in the game.
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians are supposed to be good healers and tanks.
    You want to go back when altmer were way better healers than argonians and they were worthless?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we are wishing, Breton should get 5-7% magic damage to compete with Dunmer and Altmer elemental damage bonuses.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they nerf argonians the argonians will have an uprising.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play on xbox but i like to read the pts notes. I feel like a few races need to be changed. Nords need some love while Argonians need a little bit of a tuning. Argonians are the most viable as tank and healer roles in both PvE and PvP because of their sustainability and healing bonus. They push Bretons and Altmer from the healing spots. Nord is only ever seen in PvE and Argonians make that even lower then before.Nords are probably the worst race in the game having the worst passives that make tanking PvE the only viable role. I can't be the only one who thinks so.

So you want to nerf Argonians because they are good at being a support character? That's fine perhaps they should nerf Bretons and Altmer damage capacity as well. (Edit: I'm being facetious here. I wanted to make this clear for those who didn't realize this is rhetoric.)

Nords are not horrible. I really can't understand how you can possibly say that. They are highly resilient and this is not a disadvantage as a DPS. You will want to build for stamina regeneration more than if you were a bosmer or redguard obviously but to presume they are awful is preposterous. I've run into many a deadly nord in pvpland. I think the races you have named should be left alone with the possibility of some minor tweaking to Breton. Khajiit is the race in most need of love right now.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on February 7, 2018 1:10AM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • VilniusNastavnik
    VilniusNastavnik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you want to nerf Argonians because they are good at being a support character? That's fine perhaps they should nerf Bretons and Altmer damage capacity as well. (Edit: I'm being facetious here. I wanted to make this clear for those who didn't realize this is rhetoric.)

Nords are not horrible. I really can't understand how you can possibly say that. They are highly resilient and this is not a disadvantage as a DPS. You will want to build for stamina regeneration more than if you were a bosmer or redguard obviously but to presume they are awful is preposterous. I've run into many a deadly nord in pvpland. I think the races you have named should be left alone with the possibility of some minor tweaking to Breton. Khajiit is the race in most need of love right now.

PvP land.. where DPS is not the issue, surviving gankblades is.

See a lot of Don't buff other races because Mah PvP!!! Squeaky wheels, grease and all that.
    Not a lot of talk regarding the much needed buff for races for PvE because as it stands.. Argonians, Altmer, and Redguard have their choice of it for Heal / Tank, Mag DPS, and Stam DPS. Bretons come in a close second for healing as you just can't beat the argonian's potion chugging. A lot of races need to be brought forward to make them useable in PvE otherwise it's nothing but the same 3 races. Not saying nerf Argonians. They are in a good place in PvE.. just need to Buff the other races to make them equally as useful in respective rolls.
    Active Toons:
    NA - VilniusNastavnik - Magsorc DPS - Altmer
    NA - Ko'h Nehko'h - Stamblade Archer - Khajit
    NA - Arwyn Winterlight - MagPlar Healer - Breton
    NA - Urog Blackfang - DK Tank - Orc
    NA - Elen Windsong - Stamsorc DPS - Bosmer
    NA - Eats-Strange-Fungus - Magden HealzTank- Argonian
    NA - Harwyn Northwind - MagWarden DPS - High Elf
    NA - Raises-Many-Families - Necro HealzTank - Argonian

Picture of my Active Toons.

Obligatory ESO Fashion website plug: Vil's Portfolio
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

PvP land.. where DPS is not the issue, surviving gankblades is.

See a lot of Don't buff other races because Mah PvP!!! Squeaky wheels, grease and all that.
    Not a lot of talk regarding the much needed buff for races for PvE because as it stands.. Argonians, Altmer, and Redguard have their choice of it for Heal / Tank, Mag DPS, and Stam DPS. Bretons come in a close second for healing as you just can't beat the argonian's potion chugging. A lot of races need to be brought forward to make them useable in PvE otherwise it's nothing but the same 3 races. Not saying nerf Argonians. They are in a good place in PvE.. just need to Buff the other races to make them equally as useful in respective rolls.

Would you be trying to tell me that Nords are bad because they make awesome tanks in PvE and they're versatile in PvP? I personally like playing Nord as a PvE-Tank to an Imperial. Nords have a more trustworthy recovery and they are more resilient. The only advantage an Imperial has is slight edge in Stamina but that edge is made less valuable by the innate resistance of the Nord. I disagree with your premise in this regard and this is not about squeaky PvP. There's also squeaky Sorcerer Forum Warriors as well (Sometimes the Sorcerer-Forum-Warriors are right about things btw, but they seem very squeaky in general). I'm not suggesting here that you shouldn't adjust races but I am suggesting that Nords are in a pretty good place. They have mediocre max stamina but probably the best baseline tank resists. Argonian can beat them in resource recovery but there are scenarios where being more resistant is better. I call it a wash. On the matter of Argonians the adjustments they chose to go with on the attributes are not what I suggested for many years but I can live with them as they are right now.

If they actually do a round of balancing I personally think Bretons could use a very slight buff if you're going to mess with them, probably regarding the resource reduction cost. I think Khajiit are in most need of adjustment. Attributes in general hit a flaw when they removed overcharging from the system and this shoehorned certain races into certain roles. In my view this is likely the largest travesty of the game design, and something which could remedy this flaw would actually be of greater value to the game as a whole.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You are ignoring the fact that loads of people have respecced to superior races since race change was introduced. To negatively alter the product after-the-fact would show serious disrespect to paying customers. After choosing to charge ridiculous prices for race change, any substantial changes would be a deeply unethical business practice on ZOS' part.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians in TES lore previous did not seem to indicate that they were tank races but. Regardless of the lore, they are in good place right now. Not really over the top. Altmers dominate in sorc and nb racial composition. Dunmers, DK. There are fair bit of Breton healers also. So.... yeah. I would say it is balanced. Maybe except for Khajiits. Khajiits are not too great. Bosmers make for a better gankblade.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. You are ignoring the fact that loads of people have respecced to superior races since race change was introduced. To negatively alter the product after-the-fact would show serious disrespect to paying customers. After choosing to charge ridiculous prices for race change, any substantial changes would be a deeply unethical business practice on ZOS' part.

This is why I was against them charging for race changes. It gives them an excuse to screw races and game balance up on purpose. This is also the danger of offering class change tokens. I personally believe class and race if it is malleable should be available for gold as well at the very least.
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians in TES lore previous did not seem to indicate that they were tank races but. Regardless of the lore, they are in good place right now. Not really over the top. Altmers dominate in sorc and nb racial composition. Dunmers, DK. There are fair bit of Breton healers also. So.... yeah. I would say it is balanced. Maybe except for Khajiits. Khajiits are not too great. Bosmers make for a better gankblade.

I agree with you about the lore entirely. Argonians historically did have bonuses to Restoration, Alchemy, Athleticism and Stealth. They had a good regeneration rate as well. In a sense they've done a decent job approximating all of that with the potion drinking passive... in a sense. I would have thought they might have jack of all trades type attributes or regeneration and possibly stealth. They're in a better place though with the potion passive because it regenerates for all attributes and it requires active use and materials. I'm okay with Argonians because it can dance around the lore a little bit at least and it is a functional set of passives that works within the game. Argonians also have a decent and functional niche that doesn't stomp on Altmer or other magic niches.
    <And plenty more>
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Its hilarious to see stamDks go argonian and actually outperform redguards/orcs/khajiits in PvP. Its just hilarious.

And other than that, I think I saw literally every single class going for argonian, except mostly stamsorcs, they already have infinite sustain so they usually stick with orc.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 7, 2018 2:55AM
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you about the lore entirely. Argonians historically did have bonuses to Restoration, Alchemy, Athleticism and Stealth. They had a good regeneration rate as well. In a sense they've done a decent job approximating all of that with the potion drinking passive... in a sense. I would have thought they might have jack of all trades type attributes or regeneration and possibly stealth. They're in a better place though with the potion passive because it regenerates for all attributes and it requires active use and materials. I'm okay with Argonians because it can dance around the lore a little bit at least and it is a functional set of passives that works within the game. Argonians also have a decent and functional niche that doesn't stomp on Altmer or other magic niches.

Yeah, Argonians should have been made a better choice for NB because of their notable shadowscale and reputation for their fierce guerilla tactics. But this is fine. They are actually a viable choice for nearly all roles save for stam DPS. Just as they should be. Tanking is just a side effect of having potion and healing passives anyways.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on February 8, 2018 2:03AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets get one thing clear...I personally feel races are TOTALLY unbalanced. Totally. No argument. None. Right now there are like 4 races I would play and that's it.

Having said that...IT DOES NOT MATTER! Too many players have already put in a ton of hours into min/maxing their toons based on the races as they are now. Again how is it fair to those players that you suggest we suddenly change them? You made the choice to play whatever ace you are playing and you played the game, but you had a choice. You basically are telling everyone in the game to go screw themselves because you want a race makeover.

Again if they did a free race change token on every toon it wouldn't matter 1 bit, but that is not going to happen. Until they do that is is simply not a fair thing to do to players in the game.

There is no "fair". You want those people stuck playing a carp race like Nord to be at a mechanical disadvantage. Why do I have to buy a race change token?
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭

This is wrong on so many levels. You decided to play that race. The consequences were there when you picked it. Changing the racial passives drastically would mean those who picked that race gets screwed over for no reason what so ever.

If you don't understand this then no one here can help you.

Racials need to be balanced yes but they need to either offer everyone race change tokens, with conditions, or create another system that allows the races to be balanced.

For the most part the racials are fine. Just need to set up builds differently to make up for the lack of stats, when possible.
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭

There is no "fair". You want those people stuck playing a carp race like Nord to be at a mechanical disadvantage. Why do I have to buy a race change token?

There is "fair". If Nords get a buff then you get something, that's good for you. What if you had paid to make your character a Nord because of those passives and then they nerfed it? You going to go buy a token to change that now ?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races received a balance change about 9 months ago and I think a little tweak since on maybe one race.

I would suggest to not expect any changes here unless specifically mentioned. Certainly no one can or will tell you anything at this time. Most of the races have good passives. All cannot be equal ofc.
  • Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭

Because you CHOSE nord maybe? Wow what a concept...being stuck with your decision...

You could always blame your parents of course...
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think that the differences are so significant, that you need to make changes. After a sufficient number of hours in the game and numerous tests, I finally understood this.

But on the other hand, I would be very glad to see these changes to see the following process:
    1) All those who chose the meta race for passive abilities, will flood the forum with tears
    2) After these changes, it will become clear that race A is better than race B
    3) Slowly they will begin to change the race or create new characters with the "right race" to be competitive
    4) In parallel, there will be topics "When are the races getting any balance changes?"

I guess I'm too cruel o:) But every joke has a bit of truth.
    Everything is viable
  • Gothrock
    Gothrock
    ✭✭✭

You picked your race right? Now after picking it you are mad that it isn't as good as another?

And you only have access to 3 races in your friends alliance because you didn't buy the any race anywhere DLC. Yes it costs crowns but it has been there for ages. You have had plenty of opportunity to buy that and make any race you want.

Now explain to me how it is fair to ANYONE that made a DK tank with Argonian specifically FOR the racial bonuses to suddenly find out that you decided you didn't like the current setup so they now wasted all that time min/maxing because they enjoy that? You want everything changed because the race YOU like doesn't perform the way YOU want it to?!?!? Yeah that's a fair way to screw over a ton of people in the game.

If some people picked up overpowered race because its overpowered, yes, in this case it should be nerfed too.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ladislao wrote: »
    I do not think that the differences are so significant, that you need to make changes. After a sufficient number of hours in the game and numerous tests, I finally understood this.

But on the other hand, I would be very glad to see these changes to see the following process:
    1) All those who chose the meta race for passive abilities, will flood the forum with tears
    2) After these changes, it will become clear that race A is better than race B
    3) Slowly they will begin to change the race or create new characters with the "right race" to be competitive
    4) In parallel, there will be topics "When are the races getting any balance changes?"

I guess I'm too cruel o:) But every joke has a bit of truth.

I refuse to pay them any money for something like this. Never have and never will. I also refuse to delete any characters I've made.
    <And plenty more>
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamenstein wrote: »

There is "fair". If Nords get a buff then you get something, that's good for you. What if you had paid to make your character a Nord because of those passives and then they nerfed it? You going to go buy a token to change that now ?

It's not fair until Nords and other crap races get a buff. By your logic, ZoS should never adjust OP classes, abilities, or anything else.

Because you CHOSE nord maybe? Wow what a concept...being stuck with your decision...

You could always blame your parents of course...

Yeah, I CHOSE to be a Nord way back in March 2014 when the race and game mechanics were completely different.
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 7, 2018 2:45PM