Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's the deal with wrobel?

huschdeguddzje
huschdeguddzje
✭✭✭✭
Community seems not very fond of him, just curious if it's justified

Best Answers

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric Wrobel is the lead combat designer.
    Many ESO players are combat-oriented (especially high level PVE-players and PVP players) and know the combat system inside-out, because they do a lot of theorycrafting and play a lot.
    They blame Wrobel for :
    - every aspect of combat they personally dislike,
    - every change in the combat system that's aimed at casuals (and thus do good players a disservice of some kind)
    - every change that force them to change their way of playing

In general they tend to think that they know the combat system in ESO better than Wrobel himself. I can't tell whether that's true or not (it's most probably wrong) but one thing is quite certain : hardcore players spend more time playing the game than Wrobel (for obvious timetable reasons).

I tend to think that, no matter their opinion, some players should be more respectful of Eric Wrobel as a person.
    Answer ✓
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaming communities are generally not fond of the one who brings change to their gaming world. That is it in a nutshell. Yes, some changes do not make sense, but mostly we adapt and move on.
    Answer ✓
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A poor guy just doing his job. And a pretty damn good job compared to some of the completely imbalanced MMO's I've played in the past
    Answer ✓
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He’s the Lead of the Combat Design team, so people tend to flame him for any Combat-related changes that they don’t like.

Whether it’s justified is up to debate.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    Answer ✓
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whomever is in charge gets the blame for what’s wrong, and to some extent it IS Wrobels problem. These patch notes are coming across his desk, not anyone else’s.

In the past he’s said some really wrong and silly things (like the whole ‘crit tank’ thing lol) to justify exceptionally poor balance decisions. His answers to the community on the few times he did so were rude and dismissive. He doesn’t really take feedback like Rich did during Homestead. In short? There’s nothing to ‘like’. He’s some dude we see on eso live ruining our classes for dumb reasons.

People saying we don’t know enough about the combat system to comment aren’t playing the game day in and out. You probably don’t remember putting up with malubeth Templars. You probably don’t remember when proc sets crit, the damage was instant and front-loaded, and nightblades were instant death one button killers. Let’s discuss how long it took them to fix the macro slice issue in dark brotherhood. Or how long radiant oppression was Instant death from half health. These problems sat around for MONTHS unfixed. Now God knows how long stamdens are going to be meta, but they decided to fix it by nerfing BIRDS!
    Edited by Minalan on February 3, 2018 7:26PM
    Answer ✓
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    ''this is a buff if you fight with naked fists''

omg, they finally announced a Monk class?!?! :astonished:

I would actually play one if it existed.

Like, you know, I always wondered why there isn't enough martial arts in this game, like, you can't kick,punch or headbutt people.

Those kind of stuff would fit really well to the theme of stamDk but... oh well..
    Answer ✓
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Gaming communities are generally not fond of the one who brings change to their gaming world. That is it in a nutshell. Yes, some changes do not make sense, but mostly we adapt and move on.

Pretty much this

In all the online game communities I've been a part of, there's always a scapegoat. It could be a dev or even a Community Manager.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I tend to think that, no matter their opinion, some players should be more respectful of Eric Wrobel as a person.

Agree.

He's actually a really nice guy when you meet him :)
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, whats the deal with airline food?
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Agreed. Plus, players can only speak from their own personal experience and playstyle while a lead combat designer has the complete data logs from the game and the need to balance things across all the playstyles. It would be surprising if everyone agreed with all that he did all of the time.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does no-one else feel uncomfortable blaming one person for all their ESO woes?

I mean it's not like he was running the company or anything
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric Wrobel is the lead combat designer.
    Many ESO players are combat-oriented (especially high level PVE-players and PVP players) and know the combat system inside-out, because they do a lot of theorycrafting and play a lot.
    They blame Wrobel for :
    - every aspect of combat they personally dislike,
    - every change in the combat system that's aimed at casuals (and thus do good players a disservice of some kind)
    - every change that force them to change their way of playing

In general they tend to think that they know the combat system in ESO better than Wrobel himself. I can't tell whether that's true or not (it's most probably wrong) but one thing is quite certain : hardcore players spend more time playing the game than Wrobel (for obvious timetable reasons).

I personally think he’s doing a great job. Having two people fight each other in most MMOs 10 years ago, the first thing you’d look at is class. In this game that’s hardly a factor.

Combine that with the fact that that holds true at various skill levels makes me very impressed with wrobel. Many games have “balance” in the sense that class A usually wins when two bad players fight but class B usually wins when two great players fight... but not ESO.

Perfect balance is impossible, but wrobel is balancing among so many different spectrums that it is very impressive that he’s done what he’s done.

All of my hatred is reserved for the people who do the servers, and even more importantly, the people who do the net code. This game is not optimized for large scale PvP or raiding with most variables being held server-side - a change they made about three years ago? Combine that with the *** show that was clock work city launch and I can’t help but think that the programming team that designed this game has been let go and replaced with a skeleton crew that’s not familiar with the engine and a boat load of artists to generate new content.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to actually like him,

then one day he took a class that was working fine, and absolutely destroyed it. a.k.a. stamDK.

Then released another one that did the same thing, but 3 times better. a.k.a stamina warden.

10/10.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to actually like him,

then one day he took a class that was working fine, and absolutely destroyed it. a.k.a. stamDK.

Then released another one that did the same thing, but 3 times better. a.k.a stamina warden.

10/10.
    To be fair, it’d be hard to balance Stam DK until we see how the synergy changes play out.

Wardens AFAIK don’t have any skills that do synergies, other than that AOE heal, and now that synergies are not part of the GCD and basically free DPS, Stam DKs will be able to boost DPS for the whole group in both PvE and PvP in ways that a warden can’t.

I think we should see how that plays out. I can foresee “synergy rotations” becoming a think, especially because of the undaunted passive that returns BOTH stat pools.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

omg, they finally announced a Monk class?!?! :astonished:
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    Does no-one else feel uncomfortable blaming one person for all their ESO woes?

I mean it's not like he was running the company or anything

Well I don't have any ESO woes (apart from the trading system of course lest anyone label me a fanboi), but then it's seemed to me on many an occasion that I'm playing a totally different game to the couple of hundred people who regularly post critically on the forum. Perhaps I'm playing the same game that the other hundreds of thousands who don't post critically on the forum are playing :wink: !
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard Wrobel stole all the moon sugar - ALL OF IT
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There will always be people who like and dislike anyone who fills the position of Lead Combat Designer
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wrobel stole my mum and killed my cat.

IDK, He seems like a decent guy with a cool beard, but gets a lot of flack for the total combat teams ideas, which are admittedly awful. Remember the PTS Dragon blood scaling off missing mag, to the point where it was literally useless with good sustain. Even if not to live, how did that go though conceptually.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i certainly dont think he deserves all the blame. but for anyone following from the beginning knows how ignored some things are and how idiotic things that get "fixed" are. read through all the patch notes ever and see some of the inane changes that occur. and when you lived in the game before and after those changes you FEEL how bad his choices were and are.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unlike some of the other people at ZoS he doesn't play the game as much. Many of us on the forums might very well know more about the game than he does. He is trying to do his job but hasn't spent the time and effort to understand the game to do it well
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Wrubius_Coronaria
    Wrubius_Coronaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing is sure, Eric Wrobel does not deserve all the hate we can read on the forum.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would think that the Lead Combat Designer knows more about balancing the game than any single player does here.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the guy
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If people actually met Eric in person, I'm sure they would not then come here and bash like there's no tomorrow. Just like when you meet any person. Until you meet them, you've dehumanized them.
    Edited by DoctorESO on February 3, 2018 9:45PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    If people actually met Eric in person, I'm sure they would not then come here and bash like there's no tomorrow. Just like when you meet any person. Until you meet them, you've dehumanized them.

Its the internet. Do you reckon any of us, even the most salted would say some of the things that have been said if we knew the person IRL? Its just a game and its easy to let tensions rise when there is less consequences or limits to what we say, because everyone else is just a bunch of words with no real face behind them.

Its why I hate the "fire X" [server managers, bug fixers, devs, higher ups etc] posts. No reason to *** over someones life over a game decision you disagree with. Hell, no reason to even say some actual bad stuff.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Wrobel ? Pre TU Wrobel was still in training and to be seeking the lost wisdom of Monk Nickolas Konkel atop The Mountain of Secrets and Wisdom . After ascending the perilous cliffs and defeating never ending waves of necro threads and deafing echo box attacks , Bearded Wrobel decended the mountain with new found power and wisdom after obtaining the tight rope beam of balance from the forefathers of YinYang . Now robed in the rainbow fox cloak of insight he scratches his beard of knowledge before crafting the next set of ability class challenges . Bearded Wrobel is to be admired while young wrobel is fading away with adolesence ...

The truth is in the
    gTLMIWi.jpg
    Skooma !
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on February 3, 2018 10:25PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the problem... the Lead Combat Designer struggles to explain various changes that were made and then refuses to address counter points to his explanation. If you cannot thoroughly and completely understand and explain reasons WHY a change was made, then it shouldn't be made, period.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we all just relax with a little Skooma and wear the rainbow fox robes then the game is perfectly blanced @Ch4mpTW
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with some of the changes he has made, but it doesn't go any further than that. The day I begin personally insulting the developers is the day I've lost all sense of reality. At that point it would be best to step away and reevaluate my own life.
    forever stuck in combat
This discussion has been closed.