The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.4 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Should frost staves have their own skill line?

Kitty_Quietly
Kitty_Quietly
✭✭✭
I don’t know if this is the right area to ask this, but since this is where everybody tests stuff you all probably know more here.

Anyway, since the frost staff is now a tank thing would it be better if it had it’s own skill line? I like the idea of the frost staff tank. It just seems wierd to have a protection thing under a destruction skill line. The restoration staff is by itself so why not frost staff?

By itself, the frost staff could have more specialized abilites and passives. Is there a reason why this would be bad?

Best Answer

• Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's now tanking weapon so practically Yes, it should have its own skill line.

Under current Destro skills ZOS is utterly failing ICE Staff Tanking!
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on January 24, 2018 7:30AM
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭

I can’t personally say failing, because I don’t know much about it. Still, it is something I was curious about. Thanks for the reply.
    Options
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice staff isn't ready yet. Looks like our ice stuff is just a test version of what will come, maybe in next big expansion.
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
    Options
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think destro staves should be separated into 3 skill trees.
    Fire staff for strong single target dps, DOT and soft CC.
    Ice staff for dps, tanking and hard CC.
    Shock staff for strong AOE dps, mobility and utility.
    Though the effects of each individual are solely my opinion. Everyone will have their own thought on this, but I think it's really time to separate these 3 staves
    Edited by Pr0Skygon on January 24, 2018 8:19AM
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you separate Ice staff to make a dedicated skill line, the next thing will be to request the same for lightings and fire staff
    Options
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's doesn't need a whole new skill line but it does need improvements to existing destro skills. A few simple changes could make frost tanking viable. For example:

1) Move the taunt from the heavy attack to Frost Clench.
    2) Change the other morph of Ele Drain to add Major Fracture instead of refreshing its own duration.
    3) Make the frost staff apply its "spell damage" value to physical and spell resistance.
    4) Add Minor Protection for allies in your Wall of Elements AOE.
    Options
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, just rename S&B line to 'One Hand and Shield & Frost Staff' line. Give the same passived (and different look from other destro staves).
    Options
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they should revert the change that made it a tanking weapon. It should work as other destro staves and be viable for damage dealers.
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's doesn't need a whole new skill line but it does need improvements to existing destro skills. A few simple changes could make frost tanking viable. For example:

2) Change the other morph of Ele Drain to add Major Fracture instead of refreshing its own duration.
    3) Make the frost staff apply its "spell damage" value to physical and spell resistance.
    I really like these.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, a ton of interesting ideas! Thanks everybody.

It will be inteesting to see how the frost staff evolves. I know they are probably working on stuff but it is always interesting to see what the ideas are out there.
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    No, they should revert the change that made it a tanking weapon. It should work as other destro staves and be viable for damage dealers.

That is always a possability, but I think a frost tank would be fun to watch if it all worked really well. Plus magic tanking in general sounds like a good bit of variety.

Options
  • joaaocaampos
    joaaocaampos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@SidewalkChalk5 @Turelus Liked it! But we can improve:
    • Elemental Storm (and its morphs): I still don't know what to suggest.
    • Wall of Elements: Wall of Frost reduces enemy Movement Speed, immobilizes chilled enemies and afflict enemies with Minor Maim, reducing their damage done by 15% for 6/8 seconds. (Minor Maim is more useful than Minor Protection, especially for Wardens, as they don't have Choking Talons)
    • Destructive Touch: Frost Touch taunts and immobilizes the enemy.
      • Frost Clench (Destructive Touch morph) taunts and immobilizes the enemy for longer.
    • Elemental Susceptibility (Weakness to Elements morph): Send the elements to sap an enemy's defenses, afflicting them with Major Fracture and Major Breach, which reduces Physical and Spell Resistance by 5280 for 24 seconds. Any damage you deal to the enemy refreshes the effect's duration.
    • Tri Focus (Passive): You gain Minor Heroism for 6 seconds after completing a fully-charged Frost Heavy Attack, granting you extra Ultimate every 1.5 seconds. While a Frost Staff is equipped, blocking cost Magicka instead of Stamina. (Damage shield is too weak...)
    • Ancient Knowledge (Passive): Frost Staff reduces the cost of blocking by 36% and increases the amount of damage you block by 20%.
    That's it!
    Options
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The biggest change needed is to consider frost staff as set 2 x items.

S & B will always have edge due to this.
    Options
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change to frost staff from DPS weapon to tank weapon was so hastily done, almost like an impulsive afterthought, and it was horribly implemented.

It would have been much more reasonable to keep the staves as they were, then introduce a magicka melee range dual hand weapon line, with one set of morphs focused on DPS, the other focused on tanking.

Voila, you would now have a melee magicka set of weapons as an alternative to staff (much like dual wielding), and you could use the same set defensively for tanking instead (as a alternative to sword and shield).

This would have been much more elegant, much more interesting, and people have been asking for melee magicka weapons for ages.

God I hope they introduce this skill line eventually. We haven't had a single skill line introduced since forever (active skills, not the circumstancial passives of DB/TG), but this would be the perfect one to do.

Edited by Carbonised on January 24, 2018 10:27AM
    Options
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I can’t personally say failing, because I don’t know much about it. Still, it is something I was curious about. Thanks for the reply.

Its failing in PVE and not in PVP

If anyone uses ice staff in trials then just to test some builds and most likely revert back to Sword and Board.

Losing either monster set or 2nd set 5th piece bonus is indeed not acceptable for good tanks

In vet dungeons ice tank or even shield tanks can work but tanking can be judge from end game pve vet trials
    Options
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really interesting suggestions, just (bleh) it would cause balance problems (lol) in PvP so it won't be implemented.
    Options
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a frost staff should be a frost staff and the tanking staff should be the unused "alteration" line which doesn't exist...yet.

I use a frost staff for tanking and see that there are many who would like to use it as frost mages but cant really.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
    Options
  • StoicSunbro
    StoicSunbro
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with an alteration line instead of a separate frost line.

You could include lore friendly skills like Telekinesis (single target pull), Mass Paralysis (aoe stun), and Oakflesh (Damage mitigation/shield)

This would provide non-DK tanks skills they desperately need.
    Edited by StoicSunbro on January 24, 2018 4:16PM
    Options