The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Update 17 - Feedback Thread for Skills Advisor

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try any of the advanced builds? If so, what did you think of them?

No, didnt find how yet :D, first time on PTS lol

Was there any point where you were confused, or didn’t know where to spend skill points?

Yes, I find the different types of builds are not easy to find the first time (if you are a new comer and not yet familiar with TESO tab system and so on). Would be nice if the different types (healer, stamina, dps and son were more easy to find)

If you completed a suggested build, what did you think of the total package of abilities?

Very clunky, we have already reported sorcerer advised skills are borderline joke/troll. Seriously completely wrong. it makes it look like your team is completely disconnected from reality or 3 steps ahead and plans to change skills so hard that today skill will be useless. Anyway, as of today, the advises are pretty bad for magic sorcerer dps

Do you have any other general feedback?

I appreciated the skills to unlock tips. This was nice
    I wonder if some players will not unlock their attributes by not clicking claim your reward. But could be completely overthinking
    Edited by Morgul667 on January 10, 2018 1:00AM
  • StopDropAndBear
    StopDropAndBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the base idea here, especially the attempt to teach people about how damage works in terms of magicka and stamina and resource scaling, but the execution feels kind of all over the place. The info it gives just feels too sparse, and I really dislike the big scary ILL ADVISED MORPH message because it doesn't tell you WHY it's an ill advised morph.
  • zassasaurus
    zassasaurus
    ✭✭✭
    It wasnt clear to me that we had to choose a build. I made a template kahjit nightblade with all my attribute points in stamina and a bow and dual wield equipped, yet it was still telling me the stam morphs were ill advised, one of my friends told me you have to set a build in the settings. There should be a clear place to choose a build, by looking at it I wasn't even aware you COULD choose different builds.

I also think it needs more than just advised or ill advised morphs. For example if you are making a magplar dps sure the stam morph of sweeps is obviously ill advised, however when it comes to vampires bane vs reflective light, its really more subjective. In those cases you could say both are advised, reflective light if you want to kill multiple enemies at once, or vampires bane if you want a good single target dot.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    If you completed a suggested build, what did you think of the total package of abilities?

Very clunky, we have already reported sorcerer advised skills are borderline joke/troll. Seriously completely wrong. it makes it look like your team is completely disconnected from reality or 3 steps ahead and plans to change skills so hard that today skill will be useless. Anyway, as of today, the advises are pretty bad for magic sorcerer dps

I think the people who reported this belong to the large group who didn't actually choose a build, because it's hard to see where or that you can change it. The typically used DPS morphs are not advised for the BEGINNER build (which is selected by default), but they are for the actual magicka sorc DPS build. The beginner build seems to me more focused on helping new players stay alive, which I find to be a good way to go.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    feyii wrote: »
    Morgul667 wrote: »

I think the people who reported this belong to the large group who didn't actually choose a build, because it's hard to see where or that you can change it. The typically used DPS morphs are not advised for the BEGINNER build (which is selected by default), but they are for the actual magicka sorc DPS build. The beginner build seems to me more focused on helping new players stay alive, which I find to be a good way to go.

Probably but crystal fragment or liquid lighting are advised morphs for beginners as well.

On top of that : New players will probably follow the advised morphs and stick with them on the long run. I cant imagine their face when they discover the game taught them completely wrong, as guild mates show them how to actually DPS. I think an explanation of why a morph is advised in a situation would be better for a starter. And seriously a full rework of the sorcerers initiate advised morph is necessary.

Edited by Morgul667 on January 10, 2018 10:30AM
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After getting a look at the builds of most classes. I have to ask did they asked the player who normally get kicked from random dungeon for build advise? Most builds are quite bad, really bad, like holy s*** bad. Please ask your player base for help with them since right now they are terrible and the best of most builds is just their name.

In general the build adviser does not tell you anything. Why you should take this morph? Why this skill? How to use this skill? (e.g. in aoe fights, single target, ...)...

Also why does it advise for some build way less skills than a player can have on their bar? Just split the skills in must-have skills and nice-to-have skill you can place on your free space on your bar.
    Nor does it help with the weapon choice or build choice. Also it would be nice if you asked the player at the first start how they want to play their class. e.g. Bow build, magica range build, tank....

It should also tell you if this build is more for solo content, pvp or group content.

Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not directly related to the adviser, but to skill information in general

I strongly suggest that you label the tool tip of each power (in the upper left corner would be a good spot) on weather said power is D.O.T. damage, direct damage or a mixture of both.

why? simple.. the more information the player has access to the better informed the decisions they can make are, this is the entire point of the skill adviser is it not? thus it simply makes logical sense to add this in
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was there any point where you were confused, or didn’t know where to spend skill points?

I just hit level 15 with my NB Deathweaver. Level Up rewards include a very nice selection of weapons to choose from, but Skills Adviser has not indicated what the weapon on my newly-opened second bar should be. When I get into Skills Adviser in this level-up dialogue sequence there is no indication of what I should do, or will be doing with this exciting new second weapon bar. At this point, because I have been following Skills Adviser from Level 1 with this character, I only have enough skills opened to fill the first weapon bar!

I have 5 skill points available to spend at this point, and the skills adviser is recommending 1 skill and 2 passives that are currently unavailable because my level in those skills is not high enough. It's recommending Path of Darkness, which opens at Shadow level 20, but my current level in that skill line is 15 - that's some way away.

I think this system would be much better if I could see where this build is going to end up, and how it gets there. At the moment I feel desperately short of information.

I don't think many players will have the patience to stick with Skills Adviser if keeps on like this.
    Edited by RaddlemanNumber7 on January 10, 2018 1:46PM
    PC EU
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should recommend traits as well. For example, they could add PvP templates that say "impen lowers your enemys critical DMG modifier. Slot 5 pieces of impen gear for more survivability in PvP situations"

And for trials - Divines/infused? You get my thoughts on this.

At least abilities can be changed for under 2k gold if you pick the wrong morph, but gear can be a total loss for you pick poorly.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nvm have to try
    Edited by luen79rwb17_ESO on January 10, 2018 4:12PM
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • lailoken
    lailoken
    ✭✭
    I've rolled a new stamina based warden just to try out the skills adviser, and found myself more or less ignoring most of the suggested skills, since I decided to follow an Alcast build instead, with some of my own preferred twists as I go, since Alcast doesn't include any of the new gear that Dragon Bones will be coming with.

I'll try rolling a sorc today, pick one of the templates, and follow it more precisely.

However, my concern with this is that who decided on these build templates? Are they based on builds previously showcased on the website? Is it inside knowledge that ZOS decided to tell us because we couldn't figure it out? Will players be able to make their own builds offline, and then incorporate those builds when they begin playing?

Currently, websites such as Alcast lists the final skills and morphs, leaving the followers to decide on which skills to use in the meantime, which I believe the skills adviser could be used for. However, I'm not too thrilled with being limited to a generic cookie cutter build (ironically), in which the skills adviser appears to suggests using stamina skills when I'm rolling a magicka build, or vice versa.

However, I think a JSON formatted template that we can build out of the game, drop into our documents game folder, and tell the skills adviser to roll with those would be sweet.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Skill Advisor plays very badly with the Morrowind changes to how armor and weapon lines unlock.
    I noticed this on the Arcane Warrior build,, but I'm sure its present on others.

Namely, the Skill Advisor repeatedly asked me to choose skills and passives for armor and weapon lines that I had not unlocked yet.
    The most frustrating was the Dual Wield line. At level 2, I'd picked up daggers and gained exp, but not actually killed anything with them. So not only did Arcane Warrior only give me dual wield options, but I couldn't use a skill that I could have used pre-Morrowind but not now since the skill line wasn't visible.
    It happened again, for multiple levels, with medium armor. I was using found armor instead of crafted since I was in the middle of questing and, well, RNG didn't smile on me until level 9 with 3 pieces of medium armor to unlock the skill line. I'd gained exp in medium armor, but not unlocked the skill line. So because of the Morrowind changes, I couldn't unlock passives the Skill advisor was suggesting that I'd earned but couldn't get to because I hadn't unlocked the skill line.

In short, the Morrowind changes to how weapon and armor skill lines are unlocked by killing or wearing 3 pieces of that weight of armor actively work against the suggestions the Skill Advisor is trying to make.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I just hit level 15 with my NB Deathweaver. Level Up rewards include a very nice selection of weapons to choose from, but Skills Adviser has not indicated what the weapon on my newly-opened second bar should be. When I get into Skills Adviser in this level-up dialogue sequence there is no indication of what I should do, or will be doing with this exciting new second weapon bar. At this point, because I have been following Skills Adviser from Level 1 with this character, I only have enough skills opened to fill the first weapon bar!

I have 5 skill points available to spend at this point, and the skills adviser is recommending 1 skill and 2 passives that are currently unavailable because my level in those skills is not high enough. It's recommending Path of Darkness, which opens at Shadow level 20, but my current level in that skill line is 15 - that's some way away.

I think this system would be much better if I could see where this build is going to end up, and how it gets there. At the moment I feel desperately short of information.

I don't think many players will have the patience to stick with Skills Adviser if keeps on like this.

OK, so 18 levels later, a great epiphany, LOL

09FiuG6.jpg

I just noticed the double borders on the skill icons in the Skill trees match those in the Skills Adviser. Although this is far from obvious, and I'm sure it doesn't say anywhere that this is what these new double borders are for, I'm still feeling a bit slow here. Perhaps I'm getting old.

Now, I can see where this Deathweaver build is going.

Apart from not telling anyone what it all means, one issue I can see with using the borders of skill icons to indicate the skills that will be used for one of these builds is that when you start your character most of the skill trees are hidden. Weapon, armour and guild skill trees can't be seen.

Now I can see where the build is going I can also see that I'm free to use any spare skill points I have to help matters along. Maybe you ought to tell people that as well.
    PC EU
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I totally missed where you would pick a build. Now that I have that figured out, the only thing I have to add is it needs work. Every build should include choosing the very first skill in whatever skill lines it wants you to have something from later on. Without that, people are not going to level that skill line until they figure out they need to put a skill from that line on their bar. I'm tired, so hopefully that makes enough sense...
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I totally missed where you would pick a build. Now that I have that figured out, the only thing I have to add is it needs work. Every build should include choosing the very first skill in whatever skill lines it wants you to have something from later on. Without that, people are not going to level that skill line until they figure out they need to put a skill from that line on their bar. I'm tired, so hopefully that makes enough sense...

That makes total sense. Following the build designer for my Arcane Warrior, I wouldn't have known to grab Storm Calling until I saw Lightning Form come up at level 3. Same thing at level 7 when a Dark Magic passive came up but I'd never gotten any skills in the Dark Magic line.

It wasn't terrible and I can see why its less intuitive to play with skills you don't use on your bar, but its definitely the more effective way to level.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried out the stamnb and the dktank build from the advisor. I play StamNB a l lot so I was a bit confused when the build advisor advised against the build I was playing on the Life Server. I was basically rebuilding my 35k dps StamNb and the Advisor just gave me a few warning signs here and there. I get that for new people that may be helpful, but for me it was a bit annoying. The warning signs ticked me a bit off tbh. :sweat_smile:
    My Tank build was okay (the dragon blood morph I used normally though also gave me a warning sign :neutral: )

Not really. The Advisor is pretty clear.

For the StamNb: Not a bad build, but I'm gonna keep running mine. The suggestions were a bit off at some times.
    DK Tank: Was okay

Please remove those warning signs! I swear, I believe I know what I'm doing or what build I'm using and I don't want a constant reminder that the game thinks otherwise. :sweat_smile:
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off, I'm really excited that y'all are trying to put some more instruction into this game! It's great to see some guidance that is in the game and doesn't rely on talking to people or finding information online (which might be eight patches out of date).

BUG:
    In gamepad mode, I morphed Summon Shade to Dark Shades then fought a boss; when I checked back at my skill list, the text "Summon Shade Morph" got stuck on my skills menu, on the line above the skill name (under text like "Purchase for 1 skill point," "Blur Morph," etc). This occurred in all of my skill menus, on all of the skills - viewing the skills from the skill tree, from the skill bar, and in the skill advisor. Changing build archetype doesn't fix it, and it remained if I turned off skills advisor.

I had spare skill points so I also tried morphing Dark Cloak from the tree without skills advisor active, Incapacitating Strike from the tree with advisor on, and Bolstering Darkness via the advisor screen; none of them changed the stuck "Summon Shade Morph" text. Going between k&m and gamepad mode didn't change it (but it didn't appear in any of the k&m tooltips). Relogging fixed it, so I'm going to guess a /reloadui would have worked too.

(Ticket 180112-000093 if anyone wants to cross-reference, but I'm not trying to escalate.)

Build feedback:
    Living Shadow seems like a decent starting place for a tank: it's pretty selfish, but I needed to be selfish when I was learning to tank. I already have points in all of the suggested abilities except for Ransack and Swallow Soul (I use Pierce Armor and Funnel Health), but I also use other abilities like sap essence to grab aggro. I was pleasantly surprised that the build had siphoning strikes instead of attacks (so the magicka morph, not stamina), because the build needs some way to get back magicka without a staff even though it's at the expense of stamina sustain. Is the destro staff recommended on any of the tank builds? Also surprised that Inner Fire wasn't suggested, which is a pretty fundmental skill imo.

In Death Weaver, Death Stroke is out of place to me - it's the only melee skill on the otherwise ranged magicka bar. It's in the dps/assassination tree, sure, and all the NB class ultimates are close-range, but Veil of Blades and Soul Tether at least offer utility if you're in a trash pack. Given my druthers I'd slot Meteor, but going all the way to Soul Harvest for the utility would be the next best thing. Umbral Assassin, the passive choices make sense; I'm surprised that only dual wield is used for weapons, since back-barring a bow is so common. When I saw that Blood Magus/healer has warhorn, I literally laughed out loud - I'd expected to see the resto staff ult instead.

Some general feedback:
    I like that the full list of Skills Advisor-suggested skills is in its own category, so it's easy to glance at, and in gamepad mode it was clear how to change the build and turn off suggestions. Selecting a skill from the list and being dropped in the skill tree is a nice feature.

I like that the advisor window shows advised vs ill-advised morph, that it's shown on the morph screen, and that it's NOT shown on the just-skills screen; that said, I found it really distracting on the general skill tree screens. Suggesting a NB tank take swallow soul instead of funnel health makes sense, but I would rather not have the red "ill-advised morph" flash by when I'm scrolling - it's intrusive when I just want to reassign my skill bars, and I was bothered enough that I would have switched the whole advisor off if I was on live. I think that "Respec to purchase alternative" should be on the advisor screen instead of the skill tree screen. The white "!" triangle on the left of the skill list when browsing the skill trees is much better - it's easy to see when I'm looking for it, and easy to ignore when I'm not; I would add it to the advisor skill list too.

In k&m mode, there's a lot of blank space between the advisor & the skills. I know it's to see my character, but the first thing I did in that screen was try to move the advisor further right. I didn't even stop to read the text, just tried to move it.
    Edited by victoriana-blue on January 12, 2018 5:41AM
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My NB Deathweaver has been told by Skills Adviser to get "Death Stroke" Assassination Ulti, and Destro Staff "Wall of Elements", but now they are ready to be morphed it has not suggested or given any guidance on morphs for those skills. Leaving those skills unmorphed seems perverse.

Furthermore, when you morph a skill that is part of the suggested build but where no morph is suggested by the Skills Adviser it removes the double border from that skill's icon in the Skills dialogue. What's that all about?

Are we really supposed to leave these skills unmorphed or is this behaviour unintended?
    PC EU
  • Holmarion19
    Holmarion19
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a bit slow, but I missed the alternate builds under "settings" until it was too late.

Perhaps have the "settings" screen as the first or default one and then the specific build you are aiming towards as the second or selected one?

Another option might be to call "settings" something like "alternative builds"
    Edited by Holmarion19 on January 12, 2018 1:37PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The double border on the skills and passives that are part of a build is too subtle. You need to make the 2nd border thicker or brighter or a different color to make it more obvious.
  • potirondb16_ESO
    potirondb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It would actually required a video for understanding purpose. I do see why some skill are use over other, but without a full dive-in, there's no point to actually get the information.

- Lighting Flood over Liquid Lighting sure if you use to skill as an aoe which was his purpose it will give you a more important radius for improving the overall performance of that skill but in the end-game we know it is use as much as an aoe then for a single target which is probably something the game lack as an info.

Personally I would do the first unlock because overall it is easy to picture which one are the good one to morph at first, but after I'll just give player more info about the skill so they can figure out for themselves.

Ex : Mag Sorc Dps, unlock Crystal Shard , then has it comes to morphing : unlock crystal fragment for more single target damage and unlock crystal blast for more aoe damage and crowd controlling ability. I think at some point some morph are a given... example if you want to heal with a sorcerer unlock the twilight matriarch and not the tormentor but as it comes to morph one ability that has two morphs which have a dps purpose it's probably best to help the player choose without giving him a definitive answer.
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another option might be to call "settings" something like "alternative builds"
    ^Good idea. Or just "Builds," and change the icon. Maybe the class symbol or the role symbols, dependent on the build archetype in use?

In gamepad mode, there's room on the bottom margin so L3 is actually labelled instead of simply being a pair of cogs; I don't know how much more can be added to the k&m screen, it's already pretty busy.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently leveling a DK tank on the PTS, to test Level Up Rewards and the Skills Advisor simultaneously. Thus, I don't have the advantage of a template character, for which all skills would be unlockable/usable at once.

One thing that is currently bugging me, is that the skills advisor only ever has 3 new skills to advise, and it stays with them, unless some other skill with a much higher priority becomes available (at least, it looked like it, when my first ultimate was unlocked).

The problem is, I have a lot of the skills that were advised first, which don't have a morph yet, but are long since morphable. One of them is the S&B taunt. On the other hand, some skills which I didn't want to get yet, or worse, which I don't meet the requirements for - specifically the Undaunted taunt Inner Rage - have been in the list for ages and thus block new options which I might already unlock or maybe morph.

Maybe it would be helpful, if there was an option to click which lets the Advisor come up with alternative skills for the moment? If there is nothing else, e.g. because you have just created the character and the only things you can unlock are your first 3 class skills, the new selection could stay the same as before. But if there are other skills for the build, which could be unlocked at the time, it could offer a random (or not so random) choice of alteratives.
    Edited by feyii on January 15, 2018 9:44AM
  • Azarai
    Azarai
    ✭✭
    Alright, so I built a DK tank on the PTS, mostly to test out the skills. Just for some general feedback:

Is there a limit to the builds in term of skills points? There were some morphs that, while not essential, would be very useful to have. IE, Fiery Grip > Unrelenting Grip will be a nice addition, not necessary, but still useful. However, not morphing Spiked Armor > Hardened Armor seems like it would be essential, seeing as you are losing out on a pretty decent damage shield for 2.5 seconds after activation.

Shield Wall > Shield Discipline: Would be a very useful morph for newer players, as they have a window for heavy taunting/heroic slash/absorb magicka, which seems like it would be very useful.

Puncture > Pierce Armor: While once again not strictly essential, having an overlap of Major Breach is not a bad thing. If a DPS forgets to reapply it, then the tank could cover for it essentially free from having the taunt up full time. Still very useful.

Revitalize passive: This was the weirdest thing not to have in the Skills Advisor, as the extra resources back from heavy attacks are useful for all levels of skill, not just new players. Especially if the block cost changes go through, Revitalize seems like it should be an easy and necessary addition.

Guard: I do not necessarily understand why this is in the Skills Advisor for a DK Tank, but if you want players to start using it more, then morphing it seems like a very good option. Mystic Guard for an increased healing received will be useful in high damage situations, and would most likely help increase survivability. The passive Magicka Aid would be a good addition in this case, as a free 10% magicka regeneration for having Guard slotted is too good to pass up, even if it is only on a backbar.

Overall, I feel like the system could use more morphs in order to help even the skills out, and I am hesitant on keeping Guard in the suggested skill list. Purge or Vigor could be decent alternatives if you want them to have a PvP skill in the recommended lists, but other than that, it seems mostly good. And-I did not see anything about racial passives, unless I missed something. Maybe a quick note suggesting that the players fill out all the Racial Skills as they level?
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I ran my 8 maxed characters through the skill checker to see how their picks compared with the game's suggestions.

Magicka DPS/Heals Templar. Not bad. I see some skills like luminous shards which is good for a healer is ill-advised for a dps build and vice versa. But I'm happy that my choices are balanced enough that I don't need to respec skills for role changes.

Stamina DPS (& off tank) DK. I am puzzled by one recommendation, blood thirst (health return) over rapid strikes (more damage). Shouldn't this be the other way around for the DPS build?

Magicka DPS Sorcerer. This is where I start to think a ! with ill-advised is too strong a recommendation when if comes to raw power versus resource management. At least the direction seems right versus the the last build. More power for DPS, resources for healing. Still if my dps needs a little help with sustain, perhaps a ? or an * with a softer suggestion for these types of choices is called for.

Hybrid (w/high health) Tank DK. 1H & shield and Ice staff, I had 0 ill advised picks and only a couple skill recommendations from the shield line.

Stamina DPS Templar. I'm using 2 hander and bow, no wrong choices, but a lot of recommendations to pick up the dual wield weapon line.

Magicka DPS NB. Dual wield and restro staff, again no wrong choices but a lot of recommendations to pick up the destro staff line.

Unarmed (stamina) DK. Already not picking up any weapons on this character, at least it hasn't marked any of my choices in skills wrong. That's more than I can say for my gear rating. ;)

Heals Sorcerer. At this point it's clear the advisor doesn't take racial passives, or the senergy with other skills into account with its recommendations. My Breton's regen is pretty high, so I went with illustrious healing over healing springs. Of course I get dinged, though I'm not sure why.

Overall the advisor seems pretty straight forward minus a few quirks. I think it might push too hard for choices that should better be determined by individual play style. I think this may help a lot of players get better, but may also turn many of them into carbon copy builds.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I levelled a Nightblade Deathweaver to level 50. It's an adequate Mag Damage build, but it's very easy to see how it could be improved by using a few alternative skills.

If a skill has no "inadvisable" morph then Skills Adviser simply offers no advice at all about morphing that skill. It should say something like, "morph this skill now. You choose which morph." At the moment it is unclear whether the advice is to leave these skills unmorphed or what.

Not enough skills were used as the character progressed through the levels. The selection of skills you end up with offers no flexibility to change the character's build to suit particular tasks.

The way information is presented makes it far too easy to miss.

The Skills Adviser offers the very minimum of advice. It defines a specific set of 10 skills and 2 ulti's you should have at level 50. Skills Adviser sets this destination, but completely ignores the journey that must be made to get there. I question whether this is useful advice for new and inexperienced players.

For a new player, getting to lvl 50 is a long, long process. You need your character to be viable and enjoyable at every one of those 50 levels, or you could easily give up and quit the game before you actually get to level 50.

When my NB Deathweaver got to level 15 following the Skills Adviser, there was literally no skill available to put on the second bar.

When I got to level 30 following the Skills Adviser, I found my character was getting killed by anything stronger than standard trash mobs. It was no fun, so I went beyond the advice and bought heavy armour passives, bought Shadow Barrier passives, slotted Soul Tether, and bought non-advised passives in Destro Staff in order to improve survivability and sustain. This strengthened the character sufficiently for me to keep going.

When you get your toon to level 50, having followed the skills adviser, you find you have many relevant skills that have never been bought or used. This means any attempt to change to another build is going to be quite debilitating.

When a player starts a new class they need to be exploring as many of its skills as they can, to find what's most effective and most fun for them. The adviser could advise slotting a skill until it hits the point where it can be morphed and then advise dropping it from the skill bar and replacing it with something newly available.

The Skills adviser ignores the possibility of getting to say level 20 or 30 and using the shrines or a scroll to respec all skills.

I used a separate character with all skills de-allocated to look at how the Nightblade Initiate build progresses in the Skills Adviser. To my surprise, I found that it completely ignores every skill line outside of the Class skill lines. It gives no advice on weapons or armour. This lack of advice seems totally inadequate for a build intended specifically for new players.
    PC EU
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    An idea for live stream: Devs run through vet MOL with characters built according to advisor. Much fun ensured
    Rawr
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skills Adviser defines builds as Magicka, Stamina or Health. What are those three one-word descriptions supposed to mean to a new player? There is no explanation of these definitions offered in the Skills adviser.

PC EU
  • LadyLavender
    LadyLavender
    ✭✭
    I decided to check my champion builds agains the advisor. Some of the names were very confusing to me.

Moot point at the moment since these builds don't need to buy much else…but if someone were looking for ideas of where to spend extras, there would be no help. I see that racial passives and crafting are nowhere in the suggested list.

"Elder Dragon" (DK healer): mostly good, but says healing ward is the ill-advised morph. That is my "oh ***" heal since there isn't an analog to breath of life for DKs. Also don't see any mages or undaunted skills listed, which I know some healers swear by.
    "Stoneskin Dragon" (DK tank): Seems fine. I had several wrong morphs because I chose to have her add a little extra damage.
    "Bastion of Light" (Temp-tank): Ransack (my primary taunt and debuff) is apparently the wrong morph, and so is inner beast (isn't the other morph the mag morph?). It also looks like the Solar Prism ult was suggested without ever suggesting a single dawn's wrath skill to unlock it. That would be really frustrating to me as a new player.
    "Arcane Warrior" (stam sorc): wants me to take dw when I've decided to stick to bow. Thinks my surge is the wrong morph, thinks venom arrow is the wrong morph when that's my interrupt.
    "Eldritch Mender" (sorc healer): does suggest mages and undaunted when DK did not. That seems odd. Also wants me to take dark deal which restores stam when I am more likely to need mag.
    "Elemental Arcanist" (mag sorc): lol lol lol. Mages wrath over endless? Doesn't like empowered ward when I rely on my twilight staying alive? Doesn't like crushing shock when, again, that is my interrupt? Have the devs ever actually played a sorc?
    "Umbral Assassin" (stamblade assassin): wants me to take bow even though she is strictly dw. Otherwise, it didn't argue with any of my skills (though before I changed the setting, it was arguing with a lot of picks for the initiate, which…what? Baby night blades should be using surprise attack as soon as they can, imo. Same with killer's blade.
    "Blood Magus" (NB healer): this is my alt that just reached champ and hasn't finished ranking up all her skills yet. I don't have much to argue over here. I find it interesting that I don't see an advised morph for malevolent offering even though that seems to be meant as a primary NB healer skill…though at least it isn't arguing about my pick. Doesn't look like Springs was ever suggested and that is a non-negotiable healer skill, and skills it unlocks are included in the advisor. It wants her to take necrotic orb, which she can't unlock yet, so a clue about how to do that for new players would not go amiss.

That double border is REALLY subtle, even knowing I should be looking for it.
    The "ill-advised" warning needs to explain WHY it's ill-advised (other morph does more damage, provides certain advantages to the build, etc).
    We need an option to click boxes to say we want a crafter, or to wield certain weapons, or to focus on crit, or to add guild skills, or to go stam or mag for a tank, or to add our racial skills….

Overall, the advisor seems incomplete, and if new players follow it for too long they are going to end up frustrated or confused. For example, is there a point where it suggests choosing a build other than 'initiate'?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade Umbral Assassin.

The Skills dialogue shows Two Handed Uppercut skill framed as if it's meant to be part of this build, but the skills adviser never prompts the player to buy that skill. When all advised skills are purchased for this build in Skills Adviser the build only has nine slottable skills open, not the usual ten.

The description of the build says , "Blindside your enemies with a flurry of poisonous strikes, then disappear without a trace." This seems inaccurate. There is only one Poison damage skill in the build. The rest are Disease or Physical damage. Shadow Cloak is not included (nor Alchemy), so how your going to disappear is a bit of mystery.

PC EU