The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Hands up if you have bad internet and want an Offline VERSION for this game (i know i do) (EDITED)

• BirdMe
    BirdMe
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Orjix wrote: »
    i disagree with all the people pointing to skyrim and saying "there's your offline game". untill i went to college i had terrible internet, but there was only one ISP that would provide to my house and only one available internet package, some days the internet worked just fine but on other days you couldn't even log on, or if you could log on the lag made the game completely unplayable. so on those days what did i do, simple i played Morrowind up to the 500 hour mark, i play Oblivion to the 300 hour mark, and i play Skyrim to the 350 hour mark (all rounded but you get the point). once i had exhaised those there were days where my internet still wouldnt work and i longed for some fresh elder scrolls, and with no ES VI being announced all i had was an unplayable version of ESO, i had tamriel at my fingertips, and i would long to log in and enjoy the world, but i couldn't, and there was nothing i could do about it.
    yes, i get the fact that it is an MMO and its supposed to be online, and is best played online, and i do not have any solutions. but, i just wanted to say that saying "go play skyrim" is not a valid argument against people with bad internet, if they want to play an ES game that bad, they have more than likely seen everything skyrim has to offer, maybe ever a few times over.

in other words saying "go play Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind" isnt (at least in my eyes) a valid point in this discussion.

There is so much fundamentally wrong here. I didn't have internet for years and not once during that time did I expect a game company to cater an online game to me. If you have terrible internet, do not buy an online game.

Also, as someone who put in at least 600+ hours into Skyrim (and probably an equal amount into Oblivion), there is always more to see and do in it. And more ways to experience the game.

when did i ever say that i expected to be catered to? i was only hoping the Dev team would see this- look at what it would take for it to happen, and then decide whether they think its worth it or not. thats all
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    Sorry but why buy an 100% Online game if you have what you consider is bad internet?

Outside of that, I wouldn’t be against an offline mode but that offline mode should mean just a character copy of your last online that can’t copy back to online.

That’s the only way that could work on this game...or maybe while online you’re playing alone in a solo mode that is less of a connection bandwidth requirement.

because i didnt think my internet was THAT bad. i knew it wasnt as good as they have in town (my sister and her family have internet that is mindbogglingly awesome) but it doesnt reach way out here. oh and guys, i saw a few of you asking which country i was in- im in canada
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    abigfishy wrote: »
    How about they fix the lag. I love this game but it is basically unplayable. There is a 30 second to 3 minute delay every time I go through a load screen. From the time I press the icon on my desktop until the time I can do anything in game can be up to 20 minutes. That is unacceptable in 2017. I play other MMOs like SWTOR, SWL and Revelation Online and they are perfectly fine so it is not me, it is ESO.

I don't think you understand the concept of lag... Your issues would probably be cleared up by getting an SSD drive...

Also...ZoS would have to put up a lot of $$$, to reconfigure the game to have 2 different "modes" for a sparse minority, who will probably quit the game after they complete the content ...so yeah...not happening...

For arguments sake ...I don’t think it would take a lot of money. It’s just settings changes so that the game would host itself locally however it would have to always be off the main server but some form of internet would seem to be required as those who want this also seem to want to updates and changes too.

i bought it off Steam- so i would get the updates
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Install the game. Then unplug your ethernet cable or wifi.
    There you go. Elder Scrolls Offline.

/facepalm
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    latest?cb=20160812173034
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    Iccotak wrote: »
    latest?cb=20160812173034

already 476 hours in. thanks though
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While there are some valid comments in this thread, there are a lot of comments that confirm the view that he have a somewhat toxic forum. There is no need to ridicule someone for posting a suggestion/request. Sarcasm does not prove intelligence - asking how you PVP in offline mode was not even worth typing.

A simple solution to the opening posters request would be for ZOS to put out a version of ESO - regardless of what they call it - that is played offline, in single player mode and Skyrim is not it. Skyrim has not had anything new added to it for years and most people who have played through the ES series will tell you that Skyrim was rubbish not a true ES game.

Maybe you could copy existing characters from ESO to the offline game, but you could never copy them back. It would not have all of the functionality of ESO (naturally) but it could be something that appeals to a certain type of person, or people in certain geographical, economic or social situations where access to the internet, or interaction with other people, might be restricted.

I believe there might be a market for ZOS to look at here.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. This isn't the same game model as GTA, that allows that. Despite developers saying this isn't a traditional mmo, it's still an mmo at its core. Single player wouldn't work
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    While there are some valid comments in this thread, there are a lot of comments that confirm the view that he have a somewhat toxic forum. There is no need to ridicule someone for posting a suggestion/request. Sarcasm does not prove intelligence - asking how you PVP in offline mode was not even worth typing.

A simple solution to the opening posters request would be for ZOS to put out a version of ESO - regardless of what they call it - that is played offline, in single player mode and Skyrim is not it. Skyrim has not had anything new added to it for years and most people who have played through the ES series will tell you that Skyrim was rubbish not a true ES game.

Maybe you could copy existing characters from ESO to the offline game, but you could never copy them back. It would not have all of the functionality of ESO (naturally) but it could be something that appeals to a certain type of person, or people in certain geographical, economic or social situations where access to the internet, or interaction with other people, might be restricted.

I believe there might be a market for ZOS to look at here.

hey look! i see intelligent life! people are toxic, try not to blame the forums. i scroll through these comments and simply roll my eyes at the ones that arent constructive- no matter where you go on the internet, some will be with you, and some against you
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not going to be an offline play version while the servers are open.
    There's not going to be an offline play version after the servers are closed.

It's simply a way to protect their leased assets as addressed in the terms of service. The sole remedy for any problem, if you may recall, is not for ZOS to develop a workaround for that problem. The sole remedy is for you to stop using the service.

This is a unique instance in that the OP hasn't actually gotten to a point where the terms of service can be agreed to. But as the additional requirements loudly state, "PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED TO PLAY" it's a self-inflicted grievance to purchase a game you can't play, and a situation that ZOS in no way has to address.

That's just the legal reality of intellectual property ownership.
    signing off
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BirdMe wrote: »

well, my internet isnt satellite or cable, its wireless though. it took me 5 days to download the game

i grabbed it off steam about 2 weeks ago. it was 66.6GB. divided by 4 days (since we dont know how much of day 5 there was) thats approx 690MB per hour. which is a speed of a touch over 1.5Mb per second (1536 bits can download 600MB per hour). if you have a speed of 1.5Mb down, you usually have an upload speed of 256kb.

Yes, that speed will play games perfectly fine. I played wow on it over adsl.

You said over wireless, that will add an element of lag in itself, but i dont know what it is for your particular connection. For ethernet to a router, its <1ms. for wifi to the same router its usually 3-4ms. Assuming you are talking about a wireless tower, it will vary greatly depending on the exact type of connection.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    S2rDxAy.png
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    there is an offline version. in fact there are 2. oblivion and skyrim.
    you do understand what an MMO is right?

To be fair, your statement doesn't hold up to scrutiny. ESO is a vastly different game than the single player series. It has its own stories to tell, its own quests, its own combat system, its own aesthetic; the game is fundamentally different. You might as well tell someone waiting for TES 6 to play Warcraft 3. To compare ESO to the single player games is unfair.

The OP's request wouldn't hurt anyone. Some people have bad wifi, yet they love TES and want to experience all the stories you can take part in. Can you really blame them?

to be fair, you're talking like a massively multiplayer ONLINE - OFFLINE is a thing. i hate to break it to you, its NOT. just kidding, i love breaking news like that to people.
    cant wait to see how they do a 4man dungeon

Doing most 4 man dungeons solo is easy, even many of the veteran dungeons can be done solo. I'm not advocating for an offline mode, but the difficulty of the game goes out the window when you have good gear+skill.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing most 4 man dungeons solo is easy, even many of the veteran dungeons can be done solo. I'm not advocating for an offline mode, but the difficulty of the game goes out the window when you have good gear+skill.

welcome back to page 2 of this thread. that wasnt you that already posted this and it was already answered was it?
  • SinfulPrinc3ss
    SinfulPrinc3ss
    ✭✭✭
    Define bad internet? I live in an area where satillite is the only option so we rely on our mobile hotspots which gets me roughly 3 to 9mbps speeds...i have no problem with any content personally...typical cyrodiil lag (had 60mbps cable before moving so i can compare) same frame rate issues.

well, my internet isnt satellite or cable, its wireless though. it took me 5 days to download the game

I cant do that we are allotted 10 gigs of data per device and have 3 devices. Needless to say for downloads over a gig we take the xboxs to a friends house lol
    Edited by SinfulPrinc3ss on December 13, 2017 6:02AM
    SinfulPrinc3ss Xbox Na
    kajiit stamblade AD
    imperial stamtank AD
    high elf magplar AD
    high elf magplar AD
    wood elf stamblade EP
    breton templar healer AD
    high elf magsorc AD
    dark elf magblade AD
    redguard stamsorc AD
    high elf magplar DC
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Define bad internet? I live in an area where satillite is the only option so we rely on our mobile hotspots which gets me roughly 3 to 9mbps speeds...i have no problem with any content personally...typical cyrodiil lag (had 60mbps cable before moving so i can compare) same frame rate issues.

I cant do that we are allotted 10 gigs of data per device and have 3 devices. Needless to say for downloads over a gig we take the xboxs to a friends house lol

Yes, the struggle is real. Unfortunately there are people on this forum who live in a bubble and seem to have trouble understanding that not everybody has the same standard of living as they do. It's a waste of time trying to tell them, like trying to reason with a drunk.

There are a lot of people answering in this thread who don't seem to understand that not everyone uses fibre internet, nor has access to it and probably never will. We struggle along with old, inferior copper or congested rural wireless.

Such is life.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phage wrote: »
    i know i cant be the only one who wants an offline version.

source.gif

No, you are the only one. It's an MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. You can't be serious.

That claim is false, actually. I won't argue the point, but the OP's opinion isn't singular.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need an offline version of this game, you need a whole new game that is like this game. Hold your breath and I am sure they will make something like that.

There are many of us waiting for TES VI and that hasn't come out till now :/

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lobby VDSA , no lag :)
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean... no offense op, but Im pretty sure there are muuuuch better singleplayer RPGs out there.
    RPGs where you can't just press E to complete %99.9 of the quests.

Im gonna be honest, storyline in this game is kind of like having popcorn in a movie,
    people are happy that it exists but nobody would just leave the movie and go home because they got no popcorn.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 13, 2017 10:56AM
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BirdMe Could you define crappy internet plz?
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    S2rDxAy.png

uwu
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BirdMe Could you define crappy internet plz?

Google it OP
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh... I know what u guys are actually talking about but to be honest that cannot be implemented because it can be a very abusive and exploitable way to deal with the online elements of the game. There are out there games that you can play with your friends via an offline mode. Chess like games or TBS strategies. But not ESO. Most u can hope in this case is a local server.
  • Ruusa
    Ruusa
    ✭✭✭
    I monitored my internet while running around Rawl'kha and Vivec City (some of the busiest cities) and ESO used 0.3 - 1.2 Mbps with one 1.4 Mbps spike. If your internet is 1.5 Mbps as @Slick_007 counted, then it's enough for questing if it's reliable, occasional lag may happen. You might have more trouble in Cyrodiil or trials, but if I understood correctly you aren't interested in those anyways. Using this forum causes more and bigger spikes in my internet monitoring thing than playing ESO, so if you can use the forum without having to wait for it to load then your internet should be fast enough. Now if your internet is unreliable and disconnects often then that's a real problem.

You may have a problem with your router or ports or something, don't give up yet. Can you connect your computer directly to router without wireless? Is there a tech support person around who can check your internet settings? Did you contact ESO customer support? Did you contact your ISP?

In any case offline version is technically impossible, as the game was built to require both server and client (client being your computer). I have spoken to other people who want an offline version either because of no internet or because they want to play without other people, so you aren't alone. Still pretty rare.

EDIT: Also check your firewall, it may be blocking ESO. And if you contact customer support, the first answer you get is usually an automatic useless copypaste with some generic answers that also tells you to post on the forum. You have to answer that mail and repeat your question, possibly several times, until an actual customer support person answers you.
    Edited by Ruusa on December 13, 2017 4:30PM
    PC EU
    Erweka - altmer magicka sorc DD
    Varona Uveth - dunmer DK tank

Redfur Trading & Redfur Exchange
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »

Yes, the struggle is real. Unfortunately there are people on this forum who live in a bubble and seem to have trouble understanding that not everybody has the same standard of living as they do. It's a waste of time trying to tell them, like trying to reason with a drunk.

There are a lot of people answering in this thread who don't seem to understand that not everyone uses fibre internet, nor has access to it and probably never will. We struggle along with old, inferior copper or congested rural wireless.

Such is life.

You don't need fiber Internet to run this game.
    I have one computer connected to a DSL service which is just slight better than the stone age of internet these days. The game still runs fine although much slower on loading screens and updates than my 100 Mbit cable service.

As much as I sympathize with the OP's situation, it's not going to happen. Try to somehow boost your signal or I am afraid you're out if luck until you can get better service.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I PvP in offline mode ?

2agn237.jpg
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • HighKinlady
    HighKinlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will there be unusually long load screens in the offline version ? Asking for a friend .
    XB NA
    High Kinlady

PC : Kinlady

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be unusually long load screens in the offline version ? Asking for a friend .

Theoretically no because everything (all maps, NPCs, and quests) would be local on your computer. It could though if your computer's specs are low end to run the game.

However there would be no guild stores, no PvP, no events and no other players. Just quests and story. You would still need to get updates from somewhere though.

If this sort of thing were made possible, I agree with others that's it would need to be non transferable to the online instance and no access to the AP point and Tel Var currency system whatsoever.
    Edited by Katahdin on December 13, 2017 5:21PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JakeZade wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. I personally do not think any arguments made against this are valid. I'm not sure if it's mob mentality but I don't see how it's a bad idea. I don't think it will happen (at least not with ESO) but nonetheless I think an offline RPG as expensive as ESO with story and collectibles would be awesome.

As far as arguments against the OP's suggestion go; I don't see how the 'What about group dungeons?' 'What about PvP?' are helpful. It would be common sense to assume the OP isn't asking for online reliant features to be available offline. When it comes to Skyrim or other TES games being suggested as an offline replacement I think they are apples and oranges. ESO is not Skyrim. There are similarities but I don't think they're comparable as a whole within reason. That and the fact that I am quite certain anyone wishing for and offline ESO game has already either played other TES games until they are dead or are not interested in them due to the different gameplay mechanics.

ESO has many amazing features and a large world to explore- many of the adventures you can do solo without any issues. From loot drops to dungeons- it isn't required that you interact with other players or purchase from the guild traders to level up for progress (even though interaction with other players or making use of online functionalities may be advantageous) I think it's easy to see why someone would want to be part of this and how they may feel held back from the experience of ESO many of us with secure internet (including myself) can take for granted.

A massive open world like this with all the side quests in the gameplay style of ESO would be amazing. That and the graphics are beautiful as well. There is plenty of content and so many different experiences to be had.

TL;DR
    I don't believe ESO will ever be offline but I do think an offline game that plays the same way, with the same quantity and quality of content that ESO delivers, would be fantastic.

It has nothing to do with "mob mentality".
    People are just fed up with botting and cheating and allowing people to play offline would just encourage this type of behavior. After all, it is common in games that allow a mix or online and offline activities (like Dark Souls). And even without cheat engine, there's a lot of things that can be abused. In Dark Souls, for example, you can get some rare weapon, souls (which is both currency and exp in that game) and whatnot, drop it to someone else's characters and reload your old save (by using a backup), effectively duping the item. Imagine if that would be possible in ESO. Allowing players to keep all character data on their computers basically allows them to do whatever they want with that data.
    Of course, I'm not saying that OP would do something like this, but many people will.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU