The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hands up if you have bad internet and want an Offline VERSION for this game (i know i do) (EDITED)

• Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people even read anything here after the original post?

OP made it clear that he
    - wants a seperate offline version with no sync to the online-game
    - don't need PvP

This thread is like watching lemmings jumping of a cliff by repeating the definition of a MMO over and over again.

I see the problem in seperating the player base.
    I don't see the issue with cheating when offline/ online never syncs and stay seperated.

And after all I don't get the mentality "I don't need this so you shall not have this."

He edited his original post. Yes, people read it, and reacted to it. Did you not read "Edited" in the title?
    And explain the diffrence between "I don't need this so you shall not have this" vs. "I want this so everyone must too".
    Play a single player game. It's really that simple. This is why there's genres, so you know what type of game you're getting into. You picked up a multiplayer game you don't want to be multiplayer...yes, clearly the problem is that we don't understand. The game is what it is. Don't like it? Then play something else. Clearly MMO's aren't for you. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do know that MMORPG could also be translated Massively Multiplayer Offline Role Playing Game. Right?
    Offline mean also enhanced single player experience, allowing you to enjoy doing quests without putting others to wait half hour because you wanted to learn the story in a dungeon for example.
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the issue that is behind this is that alot of people would love to play elder scrolls online- except that for a large part of the community ( aussies) its never online- due to regional reasons or zos itself, so as a bandaid solution having parts of the game available offline would remedy that. but there are all types of issues that would occur which would make it unfeasible, such as hacking, zos being unable to monitor gold duping, etc, etc. the real issue is that the internet is a bloody mess for many of us- and we can't enjoy the game as many others in the world can .
    Edited by MakoFore on December 12, 2017 12:23PM
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »
    You do know that MMORPG could also be translated Massively Multiplayer Offline Role Playing Game. Right?
    Offline mean also enhanced single player experience, allowing you to enjoy doing quests without putting others to wait half hour because you wanted to learn the story in a dungeon for example.

Again.."could be" is not "what is". Show me one example where MMORPG is labeled as offline. You can't, because it's never been used in that way. Never.
    You want a single player experience, play a single player game. You are not entitled to a single player experience in a multiplayer game.
    It's not designed to be one.
    It's like asking to walk through New York City alone. It would be nice, but it will never happen. It's not just for you, it's made for multiple people. So are MMO's.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, you're cool with your offline 'progress' not being reflected in your online game, right? I mean, you're not trying to get an edge up, after all?
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    there is an offline version. in fact there are 2. oblivion and skyrim.
    you do understand what an MMO is right?

there are a couple more offline versions than just obliv and skyrim :P

as for the topic idk if an offline version is technically possible or not
    You spelled "pointless" wrong.
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    there is an offline version. in fact there are 2. oblivion and skyrim.
    you do understand what an MMO is right?

To be fair, your statement doesn't hold up to scrutiny. ESO is a vastly different game than the single player series. It has its own stories to tell, its own quests, its own combat system, its own aesthetic; the game is fundamentally different. You might as well tell someone waiting for TES 6 to play Warcraft 3. To compare ESO to the single player games is unfair.

The OP's request wouldn't hurt anyone. Some people have bad wifi, yet they love TES and want to experience all the stories you can take part in. Can you really blame them?
    It doesn't take that much to improve your connection, with few exceptions.

It's an online game, complete with listed requirements including active internet connection.

Also, it would affect other people, as Dev time would have to be dedicated to this, all instancing, etc moved client side. It's an unnecessary change.

Aside from that, the only way this would not be abused would be if offline 'saves' and online were kept completely and totally separate.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »
    Do people even read anything here after the original post?

OP made it clear that he
    - wants a seperate offline version with no sync to the online-game
    - don't need PvP

This thread is like watching lemmings jumping of a cliff by repeating the definition of a MMO over and over again.

I see the problem in seperating the player base.
    I don't see the issue with cheating when offline/ online never syncs and stay seperated.

And after all I don't get the mentality "I don't need this so you shall not have this."

He edited his original post. Yes, people read it, and reacted to it. Did you not read "Edited" in the title?
    And explain the diffrence between "I don't need this so you shall not have this" vs. "I want this so everyone must too".
    Play a single player game. It's really that simple. This is why there's genres, so you know what type of game you're getting into. You picked up a multiplayer game you don't want to be multiplayer...yes, clearly the problem is that we don't understand. The game is what it is. Don't like it? Then play something else. Clearly MMO's aren't for you. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, I read that big "edited" in the title. And? I don't think I am able to see what he originally posted, or am I?

On your demanded explanation.
    "I want this so everyone must too" - did he say so? His OP states that he likes to play offline and want to gather support. If you don't want to support, then don't do it. But why oppose it?
    Opposing as in "I don't need it so you shall not have this.". If it wouldn't touch the online part, what harm would it cause to you?
    Only downsides I could possibly think of are the time ZOS workers have to spend to make it happen and a segregated playerbase. But at least for the latter I don't think you would feel the impact too much. Players who would choose the offline versions would do so for a reason, e.g. bad connection or they want to play alone anyway.

And if I like MMOs or not is not yours to judge. Get off your high horse and l2r. I also never stated I would use or really demand an offline version. I only critized people that use your kind of argumentation.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on December 12, 2017 12:47PM
  • rteezy
    rteezy
    ✭✭✭
    you want...na mmo...to be playable offline...

2/10 troll
  • Nightves
    Nightves
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that would never ever happen. I'm all for having options that benefit the player, but this one is unnecessary given the MMO aspect is the majority of the game.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While I do feel sorry for your issue and it does suck to be unable to play the game you want due to reasons that don't depend on you...I'm honestly not sure why you'd buy a game in a Massive Multipler Online genre if you knew your net was like that =x That's like buying a cellphone when living in an area with 0 reception coverage. Bad net sucks without a doubt, but that implies people have to try to get better internet if they want to enjoy all of the wonderful(and awful) things internet can offer instead of hoping online content providers spend precious resources on catering to those with next to no connection. It's sad but true.

On whole internet thing though - is there no mobile connection/internet in your area as well? You can play ESO on 4g and even 3g. It'd be kinda laggy but work just fine for questing. At one point when my own internet decided to hate me, I even did some group dungeons on 3g, was alright.
    Edited by Magdalina on December 12, 2017 1:13PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Could you imagine how much worse the bot farmers would wreck things if offline mode were possible. Though, I’m really not against it. I’d also like to be able to play offline.
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    Offline MMO? Do you know what MMO stands for?

yes, but i want a non MMO game with the same story
  • ebls_BR
    ebls_BR
    ✭✭✭
    I'd buy an offline version of this game. Totaly separated, having the same content, just to explore every corner in the world, develop my characters, do quests and solo content (world bosses, Maelstron, etc.). I love to do these things, I and see this topic directed for this kind of person, not a MMO player (yeah, there are a lot of players like that playing this game..., this is my first MMO, and I'm playing this game only because it's a TES game). Dungeons, trials and PVP I would do in my online version.

And I don't agree at all that Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are offline versions of ESO. IMO, they are very (enough) different games from each other, and especially very different games from ESO. You don't have the same feelling playing any of these TES games or ESO. Ask any TES fan (with more than thousand of hours in each TES game) and they will show significant diferences in story, relation with NPC's, atmosphere, combat system, character developement, etc., etc., etc.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BirdMe wrote: »
    Phage wrote: »
    i know i cant be the only one who wants an offline version.

source.gif

No, you are the only one. It's an MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. You can't be serious.

i am serious- i love the lore and the adventure- but i cant play the current version because my internet is crap

Get better internet. I have a friend in game that lives in the boonies, do to his choice, and has lousy internet. He is not complaining about the game and we merely deal with his experiences.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think you've got crappy internet now? Wait until net neutrality goes away.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    idk wrote: »
    Phage wrote: »
    i know i cant be the only one who wants an offline version.

source.gif

No, you are the only one. It's an MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. You can't be serious.

i am serious- i love the lore and the adventure- but i cant play the current version because my internet is crap

Get better internet. I have a friend in game that lives in the boonies, do to his choice, and has lousy internet. He is not complaining about the game and we merely deal with his experiences.

i cant get better internet- this is the best thats available and its only a step up from dial-up
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    115 posts so far. How can this be a thing?
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »

you mighta just won the stupidest thing ever said on these forums award for that one. you might want to read that again.

ok, i'll tell it your way, according to your post: MMORPG could be translated as Massively MULTIPLAYER enhanced SINGLE PLAYER experience.
    Edited by Slick_007 on December 12, 2017 2:51PM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebls_BR wrote: »
    I'd buy an offline version of this game. Totaly separated, having the same content, just to explore every corner in the world, develop my characters, do quests and solo content (world bosses, Maelstron, etc.). I love to do these things, I and see this topic directed for this kind of person, not a MMO player (yeah, there are a lot of players like that playing this game..., this is my first MMO, and I'm playing this game only because it's a TES game). Dungeons, trials and PVP I would do in my online version.

Thats the only way it could work (separate versions etc)... But it would require too much work and the game isnt very good compared to single-player RPG s and I'm pretty sure that will never happen.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not interested in an offline single player version. It would not be possible for it to be anything other than a completely DIFFERENT game you'd have to buy separately from this one.

But if they ever let us have private server capability... I'm all over it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orjix wrote: »
    i disagree with all the people pointing to skyrim and saying "there's your offline game". untill i went to college i had terrible internet, but there was only one ISP that would provide to my house and only one available internet package, some days the internet worked just fine but on other days you couldn't even log on, or if you could log on the lag made the game completely unplayable. so on those days what did i do, simple i played Morrowind up to the 500 hour mark, i play Oblivion to the 300 hour mark, and i play Skyrim to the 350 hour mark (all rounded but you get the point). once i had exhaised those there were days where my internet still wouldnt work and i longed for some fresh elder scrolls, and with no ES VI being announced all i had was an unplayable version of ESO, i had tamriel at my fingertips, and i would long to log in and enjoy the world, but i couldn't, and there was nothing i could do about it.
    yes, i get the fact that it is an MMO and its supposed to be online, and is best played online, and i do not have any solutions. but, i just wanted to say that saying "go play skyrim" is not a valid argument against people with bad internet, if they want to play an ES game that bad, they have more than likely seen everything skyrim has to offer, maybe ever a few times over.

in other words saying "go play Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind" isnt (at least in my eyes) a valid point in this discussion.

There is so much fundamentally wrong here. I didn't have internet for years and not once during that time did I expect a game company to cater an online game to me. If you have terrible internet, do not buy an online game.

Also, as someone who put in at least 600+ hours into Skyrim (and probably an equal amount into Oblivion), there is always more to see and do in it. And more ways to experience the game.
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    No thanks, go play Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, or Arena. This is Elder Scrolls ONLINE, not Elder Scrolls OFFLINE.

If you want to play ESO my suggestion is to get better internet if that's the problem.
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    abigfishy wrote: »
    How about they fix the lag. I love this game but it is basically unplayable. There is a 30 second to 3 minute delay every time I go through a load screen. From the time I press the icon on my desktop until the time I can do anything in game can be up to 20 minutes. That is unacceptable in 2017. I play other MMOs like SWTOR, SWL and Revelation Online and they are perfectly fine so it is not me, it is ESO.

I don't think you understand the concept of lag... Your issues would probably be cleared up by getting an SSD drive...

Also...ZoS would have to put up a lot of $$$, to reconfigure the game to have 2 different "modes" for a sparse minority, who will probably quit the game after they complete the content ...so yeah...not happening...
    Edited by sevomd69 on December 12, 2017 4:08PM
  • JakeZade
    JakeZade
    Soul Shriven
    I agree with the OP. I personally do not think any arguments made against this are valid. I'm not sure if it's mob mentality but I don't see how it's a bad idea. I don't think it will happen (at least not with ESO) but nonetheless I think an offline RPG as expensive as ESO with story and collectibles would be awesome.

As far as arguments against the OP's suggestion go; I don't see how the 'What about group dungeons?' 'What about PvP?' are helpful. It would be common sense to assume the OP isn't asking for online reliant features to be available offline. When it comes to Skyrim or other TES games being suggested as an offline replacement I think they are apples and oranges. ESO is not Skyrim. There are similarities but I don't think they're comparable as a whole within reason. That and the fact that I am quite certain anyone wishing for and offline ESO game has already either played other TES games until they are dead or are not interested in them due to the different gameplay mechanics.

ESO has many amazing features and a large world to explore- many of the adventures you can do solo without any issues. From loot drops to dungeons- it isn't required that you interact with other players or purchase from the guild traders to level up for progress (even though interaction with other players or making use of online functionalities may be advantageous) I think it's easy to see why someone would want to be part of this and how they may feel held back from the experience of ESO many of us with secure internet (including myself) can take for granted.

A massive open world like this with all the side quests in the gameplay style of ESO would be amazing. That and the graphics are beautiful as well. There is plenty of content and so many different experiences to be had.

TL;DR
    I don't believe ESO will ever be offline but I do think an offline game that plays the same way, with the same quantity and quality of content that ESO delivers, would be fantastic.
    Edited by JakeZade on December 12, 2017 5:19PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but why buy an 100% Online game if you have what you consider is bad internet?

Outside of that, I wouldn’t be against an offline mode but that offline mode should mean just a character copy of your last online that can’t copy back to online.

That’s the only way that could work on this game...or maybe while online you’re playing alone in a solo mode that is less of a connection bandwidth requirement.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on December 12, 2017 5:28PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    abigfishy wrote: »
    How about they fix the lag. I love this game but it is basically unplayable. There is a 30 second to 3 minute delay every time I go through a load screen. From the time I press the icon on my desktop until the time I can do anything in game can be up to 20 minutes. That is unacceptable in 2017. I play other MMOs like SWTOR, SWL and Revelation Online and they are perfectly fine so it is not me, it is ESO.

I don't think you understand the concept of lag... Your issues would probably be cleared up by getting an SSD drive...

Also...ZoS would have to put up a lot of $$$, to reconfigure the game to have 2 different "modes" for a sparse minority, who will probably quit the game after they complete the content ...so yeah...not happening...

For arguments sake ...I don’t think it would take a lot of money. It’s just settings changes so that the game would host itself locally however it would have to always be off the main server but some form of internet would seem to be required as those who want this also seem to want to updates and changes too.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, first of all, no.

Sure I would love to explore blackmarsh, but even if it was single player I would still not be able to, this game is not a game in the elder scrolls franchise, and exploring is not like in arena, morrowind or wherever you came from, also, it would be unable to be connected in any ways to the online servers because you would be able to cheat and stuff like resources would be way too easy to come by. So it would just part the playerbase even more, by even more I don't mean that there are few players but that we are divided by console and instance
    Argonian masterrace
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    Vapirko wrote: »
    What internet setup is so bad that you can’t pve? It takes very very little bandwith to play. Many of us play form Asia or Australia and pvp is the only real issue. Where do you live? Would a vpn help? If you’re overseas you might want to consider Mudfish vpn which is pay per use and very cheap and effective at stabilizing ping. Unless you’re in a very remote area, which I suppose is possible and I’m sorry if that’s the case, but otherwise there are probably ways to make improvements to where it’s playable.

i couldnt even get passed the first loading screen- i waited for nearly an hour
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    Bax wrote: »
    The thing is that if we talk about cheaters, separate offline version might be just as bad as offline mode, because the server side logic would have to be released in downloadable package and that would mean easier exploration of exploits in offline version which could be then used in online one. Unless offline version would have completely different logic, but that would be inefficient cost-wise.

Also if your only concern is lore, you can always use walk-through videos or even lore oriented websites and youtube channels. You don't really have to play everything. Sometimes I watch lore videos just to see different approach to the stories or to catch connection I missed before. You don't really have to play this game if you don't meet requirements for it. I understand it might be a bit of frustrating, especially if you are "completionist" type of a player, but MMO is the way ESO is released and if you can't play online or you don't like MMO, it's no problem, just play something else. That's nice thing about gaming, you have so many choices and options to pick which suit you and your playstyle best.

Just out of interest, did you play Arena? Daggerfall? Redguard? Battlespire? Morrowind? (and I don't mean the latest ESO expansion by the last one). If no, then why is ESO lore suddenly so important?

i played oblivion and skyrim- the other ones were so bad graphically that they were just painful to play- if they ever get revamped- then im totally going to jump in. most games that i want but dont meet the requirements for, or early access games that i want after they've been finished- i watch LP's on youtube. but honestly, from the amount of hours i spend playing this series, i couldnt sit there and watch that many videos of ESO- and i like making my own choices
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    Define bad internet? I live in an area where satillite is the only option so we rely on our mobile hotspots which gets me roughly 3 to 9mbps speeds...i have no problem with any content personally...typical cyrodiil lag (had 60mbps cable before moving so i can compare) same frame rate issues.

well, my internet isnt satellite or cable, its wireless though. it took me 5 days to download the game
    Edited by BirdMe on December 12, 2017 9:13PM
  • BirdMe
    BirdMe
    guys, guys, im a *She lol